Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-21-2013, 08:12 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Default Photographing Layouts - Suggestions?

Sooo.... anyone have any tips or know where I can find a tutorial on photographing actual layouts or project life type stuff? I never had a problem doing it before but it seems I just can't get my photos to look right. I do nee my sensor cleaned, but I'm pretty sure I should be able to get decent photos still... grrr. I'm gonna blame it on the fact that it is always overcast and rainy on the days I wanna take photos, LOL. I'd like to share my PL layouts on my blog but they are not digital so gotta be able to get pics of them that aren't glare-y n blah...

TIA

Old 02-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Check Ali Edwards blog - I think she just posted about taking pics of her PL today!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ali Edwards has a tut on it.

Otherwise, I recommend indirect light, shooting straight down, and a white background or neutral background.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

oh that's convenient! LOL. I'll go check her out now Thanks both!

Old 02-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I found the Ali Edwards tutorial a couple of weeks ago, and my photos of PL pages have been so much better since then! Here's the link.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Thank you Rachel =) I'm gonna try her techniques tomorrow. I've pretty much done what she mentioned but I will try again. Maybe just need to use a different window. The light here just isn't pretty in my house, even outside lately lol. Everything looks cold and bluish and drab, even in RL. Pretty depressing! LOL. *crossing fingers tomorrow will be better*

Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

winter is hard because the light tends ot be really flat.one of my favorite tricks is to use a warmer temperature light bulb in a lamp off to the side- it adds a bit of deptjh to the light usually.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, winter is tough. I find that different times of the day will make the light warmer/colder in parts of the house so it pays to walk around a bit. I shoot my album on white foam board so last time I just walked around the house to all the windows with my album on the board until I found light I liked. It definitely made a difference. You can also adjust the white balance in Photoshop to make them a little warmer too - I often do that as well.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
Yeah, winter is tough. I find that different times of the day will make the light warmer/colder in parts of the house so it pays to walk around a bit. I shoot my album on white foam board so last time I just walked around the house to all the windows with my album on the board until I found light I liked. It definitely made a difference. You can also adjust the white balance in Photoshop to make them a little warmer too - I often do that as well.
I use a fold out presentation board, one of those trifold ones, because I love that I can use a side folded up to help diffuse light. I also walked around at first until I found the light that worked, and now I know which room has the best light during which hours- I actually even have a written list!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

That's smart! You're all organized, I should just have you come organize everything for me, haha.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That's smart! You're all organized, I should just have you come organize everything for me, haha.
haha it's more like to make it so I can be lazier....that way I don't have to walk around each time. it helps that 75% of the time the best light is all in one room lol
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Haha yeah, in my old house I had it figured out - this one not so much. Probably partly because they added the roof of a giant house right outside the window that used to be my fave.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Haha yeah, in my old house I had it figured out - this one not so much. Probably partly because they added the roof of a giant house right outside the window that used to be my fave.
oh that would suck! that's one of the perks of living in a culdesac and a completely finished neighborhood..nothing blocks the light in this room, it's actually blinding if you go in there without the curtains open and unprepared lol.