Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Any athletes in the house?

So yes.. yet another olympics related post but i'm wondering who we have here that is a former athlete or competed or.. etc. Did you play sports as a kid and get to a competitive level of any kind?

I.. was in a few sports but am not athletic and was not very good at anything :P we will leave it at that. I do always regretting quitting figure skating so early though.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was a competitive figure skater until I got to college. (wasn't the best but it was my sport of choice) I am still involved with skating - I coach singles and also synchronized skating. It's fun

Old 02-24-2010, 02:15 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

i played volleyball in High School. Once we settle somewhere for longer than a year [dh is military] I want to join a league
Old 02-24-2010, 02:25 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i was a half decent swimmer. Used to make state level when i was a kid. It was compulsory in our house to learn to swim, and learn to swim well. We all did lessons, then trained with squads, did club nights and competitions. I stopped when i was about 14 though. After everyone went through puberty, they were all so much taller than me (im a shorty) and u just cant compete in swimming when your short.

My husband still plays soccer, has done for 25 years (since he was 4). though i wouldnt call them athletes....most weekends half his team is hungover. lol. But i do wish id played team sports...thats one thing i never did which i really regret. Cant wait til my kiddo is old enough to do stuff like that with.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was involved in gymnastics until I blew out my knee in my 8th grade shop class. I'd have gone back to it after the recovery from my surgery, but I wound up having the exact same injury happen to the other knee about a month after I started training again. It didn't help that I'd grown 13" between 8th and 9th grade. That seriously screwed with my center of gravity and ability to do anything. So, I became a band geek instead.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was on my nationally ranked college swim team. I even earned a couple of points at a few games, thanks to low participation in my event. ; )
Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a former sprint runner (quitted 10 years ago). I ran 100 and 200m, was like 6th or 7th in Czech Republic (sprints aren't on a very high level here, so this isn't anything too big - but it was nice LOL) with PBs 12.01 and 24.60. I'm actually not a good person for sprints, I've had terrible starts, am too thin and let's face it, not competitive I just love to run fast. Well, loved... now I'd probably hurt myself after the first three steps. LOL

My biggest prize I've ever won is my DH, whom I met on the stadium (he's still running - long tracks, cross runs, marathons...).
Old 02-24-2010, 03:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wish. I've never been the most coordinated. I was a runner track/cross country. I still run. Its good exercise. I usually stick to the arts/music though.
Old 02-24-2010, 03:29 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I've played softball since 3rd grade. Still play oldie co-ed beer drinking league. I just can't give it up!
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

I played soccer, golf, softball, horseback rode and swam when I was a kid. I was the best at riding and swimming (I beat 10 year olds when I was just 4!), but never anything to write home about...though I'm running now! And I like snowboarding. DEFINITELY not and athlete haha.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I wasn't much of an athlete, but I am a Physical Therapist specializing in Sports Medicine and a Certified Athletic Trainer, which is how I met my husband Joel. Joel wrestled in college for the University of Oklahoma and I was working as an Athletic Trainer for the OU Athletic Department, assigned to the football and wrestling teams. My husband is still active in the wrestling community, coaching high school wrestling here on Maui. Several of his former team mates and guys he wrestled against at the D-1 level are now either Olympic wrestlers or are UFC fighters.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:42 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

My son played football for his high school football team and they were in the State Playoffs. He played football from 7-12 grade. Jacob knows several college football stars and a few guys that will be drafted into the NFL this year.

As for me, I was a cheerleader in high school but our school wasn't great enough to compete in cheer competions. I was one of those rare girls that became a cheerleader because I love to watch sports. I loved going to the games and hated all the social junk.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I was a competitive figure skater, and skated synchronized skating as well. I skated for 14 years, and I've been coaching figure skating as my main profession for 15 years.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:10 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I played soccer up through high school..then quit because I wanted to be in marching band and couldn't juggle both. And I was an archer in college. I was on the city track team in middle school...wanting to be like Dad who was an Olympic-level runner who was injured the night before trials and didn't make the team I sucked at it, though, and never understood how I made the team.

And on a side note, we bought Connor his first crossbow this weekend, and are hoping to get a compound bow for me with tax $$ so we can begin practicing together when we're out at my Dad's place (in the middle of nowhere). I've missed it terribly. When we were in the sporting good store this weekend, I picked one up and my body just seemed to ache to do it again. It was a really weird sensation. So it's time to pass down another tradition..and we figure that a crossbow is going to be a bit safer for my little clumsy boy (who takes after his momma!). Maybe, one day, he'll be Olympics bound

Last edited by Darcy Baldwin; 02-24-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leila View Post
So, I became a band geek instead.
Band Geeks ROCK! Besides...we can say..."this one time, at band camp..." and mean it
Old 02-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Never at the competitive level but.....I played volleyball and basketball through grade school and high school...played for fun in college until I was too pregnant to play anymore. Started playing sand volleyball on a league during the summer and played at the YMCA but nothing ever too serious....except playing for money in sand volleyball.

I coached the junior high volleyball team for the school district I taught in for 9 years. It was really hard giving that up when I quit teaching to stay home with the boys!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I played softball but then in HS gave up sports for the arts... and was a competitive vocalist.

now I'm a runner, but definitely not athletic but totally love running 5Ks... my goal is to run a 10K this year.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

i played tennis, golf, and basketball. Still play golf and LOVE it!

Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was never that good, but I played all kinds of sports as a kid -- in 4th grade, I'd had it with the girls in softball who sat in the outfield chit-chatting and twirling their hair, so I decided to play baseball in the boys' league instead. Caused quite a stir! I played soccer in a women's league several years ago, and then got serious about running. I've done a bunch of 5Ks, 10Ks, half marathons and 2 marathons. Three kids later, I really need to get back at it!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I played softball from the time I could pick up a bat all the way through high school, and played basketball and volleyball in jr. high and high school. I had a volleyball scholarship offer for college but chose to go to a four-year university instead of the community college level so I turned the scholarship down. I played intramurals during college to stay involved in sports but haven't done much except the occasional tournament since then. I miss team sports. I'm soooo not someone who is motivated to exercise alone and don't enjoy running for the sake of running. I need some competition to make it worth my time. I did take up golfing last year and am loving that so far! I'm not good, but I'm learning!
Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

wow so cool girls!! do any of you miss it??

I was a total band geek too :P I went for jazz band before school and senior band after school.. haha
Old 02-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

I would miss it more if I weren't coaching all the time.

I was a band geek too, I played flute and piccolo!
Old 02-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

::sigh:: I miss soccer SO MUCH. I'm working on getting into better shape, and I'm thinking about trying to join a local league of some sort. I just have commitment issues, lol. I played soccer from the time I was like 5, up until I graduated college. I knew I wanted to be an engineer of some sort, and that the course load would be ridiculous, so I didn't consider trying to get on a college team (thank goodness, cuz I went to Penn State and there's no chance I would've made the team, lol - I was really good, but not THAT good!). I did play 1 season of intramural soccer the spring of my senior year at college, and I loved that. I ran distance in high school for spring track, and I played basketball for 2 seasons as well. When I was younger I was doing rec/travel soccer year round (I LOVE indoor soccer, SO MUCH FUN!), school soccer during the week in the fall, school basketball in the winter, and school track. One winter season I had indoor soccer, school basketball, and AAU basketball, all at the same time. After that season I got a stress fracture in my ankle and was laid up all spring, lol.

I've decided I need to start running, so once I can get to the store and have them figure out what kind of shoes I need, I'm gonna start couch to 5k. I'm planning on doing a 5k run/walk with some friends in June, so that's my current motivation. Plus I've got to try something different to lose these last 10-15lbs.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't miss it at all. I mean, I miss being in shape enough to do it, but I don't miss doing gymnastics one bit. As for the marching band...well, other than the super sexy wool uniforms, I miss that. I played clarinet, flute and trumpet during high school.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Oh and I was a band geek too I played trumpet for 7 years.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I played volleyball and basketball in HS and college and was a band geek in HS and college, too. I played flute, piano and percussion.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I played softball and basketball in high school, and I played basketball the year I spent in Hong Kong during college. I wasn't very good, but I was taller than most players since I played in the private high school league. I really enjoyed bicycling since I was young, until my bike was stolen about 10 years ago. I hope someday to get a new bike and start again. For now, I've taken up walking and hope to be doing a half marathon in May with my Mom. I'm not good at it as I keep getting injured (I've tripped and split my lip, sprained my ankle a couple of times, and more).
I think I would miss playing basketball more if I hadn't developed stress fractures in both legs....

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Fan of ALL the designers at:
Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I played hockey at school, and represented the New Zealand Army in Hockey for a couple of years, competing against the other NZ Armed Forces. That was fun, but hard on my knees, and I had to give it up after a while. That combined with heavy pack carrying destroyed my patella(s), and even now my knees click when I walk up and down the stairs.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I took gymnastics for 6 years and was set to begin competing the next season until I hit 6 inch growth spurt. Totally wreaked havoc on that. :lol I played volleyball, basketball, softball, tennis and ran track in junior high and high school. Was an all-state athlete in volleyball and basketball in high school and went to college on basketball and academic scholarships. Before we moved here, DH & I played on a co-ed softball team every summer. I still play in a volleyball league on Wednesday nights.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I played Little League the first year they let girls play. You can see me in my baggy, flannel uniform here

http://dawnmarchantphotography.typep...-contract.html

We won our local championship (no thanks to me)!

I'm a runner these days, but only in local 5k and 10k races and never close to winning anything!
Old 02-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Netball, Touch Football and Cross Country were my "things". They were all bargain basement cost wise so they were the main ones we had access to.

My Dad taught us to dog paddle using an old inner tube off a truck. My sisters and I taught ourselves freestyle, backstroke and breaststrok by watching others. We spent most of the time on the beach catching the waves - another free sport/pass time.

Tried taking up the violin - eew those things screech horridly when you can't play well! Couldnt stand the sound I was making so gave the whole music thing a miss!

My Gallery
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love volleyball, though I'm not very good at it, and was never on any teams. When I was about to start 8th grade, I have plans to do tennis that year, but we moved, and after that was too shy to try for it. I've never been super sporty, but still have fun playing volleyball, backyard and mud volleyball tournaments. I hate that since I'm 6' tall, the first thing anybody always asks me is if I play basketball... lol, I have none of the coordination necessary for that sport and I never liked it, but everyone assumes since I'm tall, I should have played it.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to suze

I was very competitive in sports, I played probably every sport you can think of at some point-
volleyball, hockey, soccer, softball, track, and football * ah yes football, I can throw a ball further than most men *

I really settled in to basketball and cheerleading tho. Played both on competitive levels throughout high school. I got scholarships for both, but as things happen I didn't go to college right away.

I would love to get into coaching again, I've looked into some. I figured once I have children I'll probably get into it more.