Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2009, 11:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Question Show me fun teenage vacation spots

argghhh our family for the FIRST time ever going on a REAL vacation... and no one can decide where...possibly due to the fact we never go anywhere! They really don't know about any places.

Disneyland/world is OUT...they are sooooooo anti-mickey they aren't interested (mom is...her scrap room is decorated in Disney!)

Legoland sounds too young according to the poll and comments that have been posted at DST.

So...do you have any layouts of fun places your family has gone in the USA (sorry we don't have $ to travel outside the country)...I have 2 teenaged boys. My 20yo says he is not going on vacation.

Boys like video games, amusement park rides, go carts, military stuff, NASA...

I need some help! I want to leave in less than 2 months and no idea to where!

I was thinking Florida...Epcot (?) and beach...or Texas and beach and Sea World. ... but we're up for ideas...

Thank you thank you!
Old 03-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any real suggestions, but did want to point out that Epcot can be pretty boring. I love it, but teenage boys are likely to be bored. A bonus is that it's RIGHT next to Mickey's house.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My teenage nephews both seem to like Universal Studios in Florida a lot.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do a week at the beach! Get a beach house and they can surf and boogie board. Mission Beach in San Diego is where we go and it's got all kinds of stuff up and down the beach, including an amusement park that your boys will be dying to go to.

Now is a great time to start looking for housing.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

what about soutern Ca where you could stay at the beach and be close enough to go one way to Sea World and one way to Universal Studios and Magic Mountain {I LOVE this place} Knott's Berry Farm, Medieval TIimes {eating place...very fun}, Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum and and they can be anti-Mickey, but there are some pretty cool rides at Disney's CA Adventure..you could also just walk down the strip in LA, kinda neat to see the walk of stars the Kodak theatre, Mann's Chinese theatre, etc....but thoser are my suggestions, because then you are close to everything...and Legoland is a BIG NO for teenagers, my DD was NOT impressed...she had fun but it is geared towards kids around the 7-12 age frame...
Old 03-20-2009, 06:49 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to heyitslauriebeth

Epcot is in Disney World, haha. I think they might be surprised though, Disney World is a lot of fun, even if you aren't doing Mickey stuff...like Rockin' Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror at MGM. I personally love them (: I just think Epcot can get a little boring for teenagers, and its more of a thing you do one day while in Disney. anyway, I would look into Universal Studios - I've never been there, but it looks like a lot of fun!

CT for LilyAnne Taylor at Elemental Scraps
Old 03-20-2009, 07:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How about Universal Studios and some time at the Beach? I know we put off going to Universal until my boys are older and what teenage boy doesn't like checking out girls on the beach? Daytona Beach is only about an hour from Orlando and you can drive on the beach there. Good luck, I am not looking forward to those days when they start getting picky!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I second the Daytona area/Orlando area. Plus bring money for go carts, man guys cannot get enough of them racing each other!!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

If you stay in Orlando, Cocoa Beach is 2 hours away (awesome beach). It's also 2 hours to the space center and cape canaveral. I went with a large group of friends to the Kennedy Space Center in that area shortly after we graduated college, and we spent the ENTIRE DAY wandering around that place. I love it there
Old 03-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh and Downtown Disney and Universal City Walk are great places to spend nights!

Old 03-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We went to San Antonio on our honeymoon and had a lot of fun - we went to Six Flags a couple of days (my hubby loves roller coasters!), Sea World, The Alamo, the River Walk and we went to a really cool water park nearby in New Braunfels called the Schlitterbahn. We want to go back with the kids when they are a bit older, they really want to go to Sea World!

Another fun place that we went in 2006 was Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio. We went with my BIL's family and my MIL went along too, it was a fun road trip for all of us! My hubby and BIL and my oldest nephew had a blast riding all the huge roller coasters, they have some of the top ones in the country! They all got shirts saying something about surviving all the roller coasters! It's on Lake Erie so there are beaches you can go to also, we went in late June though so it was fairly warm by then. Hubby would love to go there again since they've added new roller coasters since we went lol.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

come to Orlando...you have Sea World, Universal Studios, Islands Of Adventure (which is part of Universal but a seperate park), Busch Gardens in Tampa which is really close, Aquatica (awesome fairly new water park), lots of places to do go-karts which are really fun/popular for that age. My kids love them. Our favorite place is Fun Spot which is right behind this place called Old Town which is great for boys because they have car shows every week on Friday and Saturday. You could probably even get them to go to one of the Disney parks here a (Disney world, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach). There is something for everyone at all of the parks here.

*just wanted to add if you do come to Orlando the BEST beach in the area is Playlinda. It is the closest beach to Orlando and much much nicer. No crowds. It is all natural so no condos/hotels to ruin the veiw.

One more thing I wanted to add...my kids are 17, 15 and 11 and they all have a good time at all the parks and the other activites. Well the car shows are more for me, my hubby and 15 year old son. The younger one and my daughter hate those LOL

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 03-20-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:08 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

here are some I have done of our visits:

This is my daughter while we are waiting for something to eat at Busch gardens:

riding go-karts at Fun Spot:

my niece meeting Scooby Doo and Shaggy at universal

my daughter at sea world:

me and my son with Thing 1 and Thing 2 and cat in the hat:

Old 03-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Based on their interests, I think Orlando area would be perfect. You can spend a whole day at Kennedy Space Center and Cocoa Beach is right there. Plus in Orlando you can hit up Universal Studios.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:57 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

I'd say Orlando too - Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure are PERFECT for teenage boys. I too think they'd love disney world if you can get them over the whole Mickey Mouse misconception - there is TONS to do at WDW - Rock N Roller Coaster at Disney Hollywood Studios, Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom - Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, etc at Magic Kingdom - they would have a great time!

If you have time, order the free vacation planning DVD from WDW and watch it together - your boys might be a bit more excited after seeing that.

Good Luck!
Robin
Old 03-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I still say we should both leave our menfolk at home and WE can go to WDW!! LOL
Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbumbaca View Post
How about Universal Studios and some time at the Beach? I know we put off going to Universal until my boys are older and what teenage boy doesn't like checking out girls on the beach? Daytona Beach is only about an hour from Orlando and you can drive on the beach there. Good luck, I am not looking forward to those days when they start getting picky!
Well actually MY teenage boys don't like checking girls out on the beach. They think they don't wear enough clothes. lol We're still in the "sandcastle stage" and playing right along the water's edge. They aren't too much of thrill seekers...a bit more cautious. lol
Old 03-26-2009, 01:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewtertm View Post
I still say we should both leave our menfolk at home and WE can go to WDW!! LOL
If you can convince dh...then I WILL convince my dh...just let me know when you have the official "oky doky".
Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
I'd say Orlando too - Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure are PERFECT for teenage boys. I too think they'd love disney world if you can get them over the whole Mickey Mouse misconception - there is TONS to do at WDW - Rock N Roller Coaster at Disney Hollywood Studios, Expedition Everest at Animal Kingdom - Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, etc at Magic Kingdom - they would have a great time!

If you have time, order the free vacation planning DVD from WDW and watch it together - your boys might be a bit more excited after seeing that.

Good Luck!
Robin
I know ...told them to "ignore the mouse" and look at the rides. I ordered the DVD...maybe just maybe it will convince them to check out the rides! Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
here are some I have done of our visits:

riding go-karts at Fun Spot:

Love your layouts! Thanks for sharing. Ok I know the boys' first question will be ..."where is the Fun Spot"???
Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
come to Orlando...you have Sea World, Universal Studios, Islands Of Adventure (which is part of Universal but a seperate park), Busch Gardens in Tampa which is really close, Aquatica (awesome fairly new water park), lots of places to do go-karts which are really fun/popular for that age. My kids love them. Our favorite place is Fun Spot which is right behind this place called Old Town which is great for boys because they have car shows every week on Friday and Saturday. You could probably even get them to go to one of the Disney parks here a (Disney world, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach). There is something for everyone at all of the parks here.

*just wanted to add if you do come to Orlando the BEST beach in the area is Playlinda. It is the closest beach to Orlando and much much nicer. No crowds. It is all natural so no condos/hotels to ruin the veiw.

One more thing I wanted to add...my kids are 17, 15 and 11 and they all have a good time at all the parks and the other activites. Well the car shows are more for me, my hubby and 15 year old son. The younger one and my daughter hate those LOL
Wow...however do you narrow down WHICH parks to go to?

I had never heard of Playlinda...where did you stay...did you like it? I'm hoping if we go to a beach...we can find something really really close.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I live about 15 minutes from Playlinda so we didnt stay anywhere. Ive been to many beaches on the east and west coast of Florida and Playlinda is my absolute favorite. I like it because it is more natural Florida then the others and so close to home like I said we can be there in probably 15-20 minutes.

As for the parks I would reccomend Universal. It is probably my favorite in Orlando. Busch Gardens is in Tampa and my second favorite. Sea World is a close third. Sea World is probably the prettiest of the three though and defenitely offers the most photo opps IMO.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I live about 15 minutes from Playlinda so we didnt stay anywhere. Ive been to many beaches on the east and west coast of Florida and Playlinda is my absolute favorite. I like it because it is more natural Florida then the others and so close to home like I said we can be there in probably 15-20 minutes.

As for the parks I would reccomend Universal. It is probably my favorite in Orlando. Busch Gardens is in Tampa and my second favorite. Sea World is a close third. Sea World is probably the prettiest of the three though and defenitely offers the most photo opps IMO.
Jeesh I just cannot decide! Florida or Texas is what I have it narrowed down to I think. Texas I think would be a TON cheaper...but then on the other hand we rarely go on vacation (last one was 2004 prior to that 2000...prior to that... 1984 honeymoon)!! So thinking we might not do this again so maybe we should splurge for FL...but with the economy and dh working for Sprint...makes me think maybe TX and save some $$. I just don't want to regret it later...if YKWIM.

Our trip in 2004 was to Branson (20th wedding anniversary)...no shows...to the movies to see Shrek (could have done that at home)...the IMAX (again could have done at home), and the water park that was AT the hotel.

2000 was to 6 Flags in TX...but there was a family "event" that we HAD to attend and spent most of our time with family...so don't really call that a vacation.

What to do? What to do?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Busch Gardens in Tampa. It's awesome. Lots of Roller Costers, I'm sure they'd love that. And the beach is right there. I think there is a water park right beside Busch Gardens too.