Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Staying hydrated

I have a serious problem when it comes to drinking enough water ech day. I just don't care for plain water, apparently. There was a day last week when I went to take my BCP just before bed and I poured myself some water and realized that was my first drink of the day. yeah. That's bad. How in the world do you make sure you get in your 8 cups of water each day?

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I hate regular water. Even before it gave me heartburn during pregnancy.
But really, I just forced myself. I made myself drink 2 tumblers at work and 1 at home afterwards. I tried to do 1 before lunch and 1 after, but it was usually about 0.5 in the morning and 1.5 at night. I found I had an easier time drinking it if it was a full glass of ice with water in it, and if I drank it with a straw. I have 2 of those 20oz tumblers that are double walled with a lid and a plastic straw, so the ice doesn't melt for a LONG time, and that helps a lot too. They were like $5 at Walmart last spring, and they always have stuff like that out.
You could also try the flavor drops, or crystal lite, or stuff like that. I like lemonade and would often add lemon juice or lemon slices, but if I drank that too much it actually did give me heartburn (so.stupid). I've been living on nothing but fresh brewed unsweetened ice tea for the last........4 months or so.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I drink it at room temp...makes it easier for me to chug a bottle. That used to be all I drank...now I'm drinking more decaf unsweetened ice tea.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I carry a water bottle (got a cute glass one with silicone cover) with me at all times. I hate water...but I feel and look better when I drink it so I just kinda make myself drink it.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I used to keep a big water bottle next to me all day, yet I still never drank enough. I'm finding I do better if I keep a small, 8 oz glass right next to the sink. Then every time I go into the kitchen to eat or clean up, I drink a glass. I'm still not getting as much plain water as I should, but I'm doing a lot better than before. The small size is key for me; having a bigger glass seems like a lot of water, so I end up skipping it rather than just making myself drink it.

Last edited by rach3975; 02-21-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I put a little bit of lemon in mine.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do drink water, but to tell you the truth it doesn't completely work for me to stave off thirst. Here in the Sierra Nevada (Northern California), the climate is SO DRY that even though I drink water, every few days I have to chug a TON of electrolytes. I like the natural foods versions like "Recharge", plain old Gatorade will do as well, or I"ve also got a powdered sports electrolyte drink that I mix up too.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:09 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Try eating stuff like fruit & vegies too. You do not have to get all your water from actual water. Also flavored seltzer water isnt so bad. And those drops do not taste bad either. I actually like water so it does not bother me but we eat a lot of fruit like apples & watermelon. Watermelon has a very high water content.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Here is a list I found:

Food
Percentage Water
Lettuce (1½ cup)
95%
Watermelon (1½ cup)
92%
Broccoli (1½ cup)
91%
Grapefruit (1½ cup)
91%
Milk (1 cup)
89%
Orange juice (3/4 cup)
88%
Carrot (1½ cup)
87%
Yogurt (1 cup)
85%
Apple (one medium)
84%

So if you are eating and you do not feel thirsty and do not feel evidence of dehydration you are really ok and do not NEED to drink a whole lot of water in addition to what you eat

ETA: Here is the link where I found that info:
http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/wonders-of-water

If you live in an area where it is hot and you sweat a lot you can become dehydrated but you really do get a lot of water through foods.

Last edited by jessica31876; 02-21-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

In the winter, when it's cooler here, I find I can go almost all day without water... between the cereal & coffee in the morning, fruit & tea at lunch I don't seem to get thirsty... then BAM! I am so parched it's ridiculous. So I end up chugging about 3-4 large glasses of water between dinner and bedtime. It's been noted by DH that this is strange. And not healthy.

I read somewhere that by the time you even feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. The goal is to keep drinking water all day so you never feel thirst. I'm better at it in the summer when the weather is hot because I tend to carry CamelBak water bottle with me all the time.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I just drink it... I feel awful if I don't get enough water every day, so I just make sure I have a full glass with me all the time.

Recently, I started replacing one glass of water with coconut water... it's a weird taste but it's really good for you, especially for hydration!!! Good luck, I know it's not easy to start it, but once you get used to it, you'll realize how much better you feel if you're fully hydrated every day.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I keep bottles of water strategically located in the house. I walk past the bottle of water, I take a drink. I drink water both before and after a meal. I keep water in the car. I keep water by my bed. Basically, the water is always there and if I notice it, I take a drink of it!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I like water and it's pretty much all I like. However, I can struggle staying hydrated when I'm not feeling well for whatever reason...mainly because I don't eat either. I drink most of my water with food. When we go out to eat, I never drink fewer than 3 glasses of water. I keep 1.5 liters on me all the time, and I go through that plus some with every meal. Also, right after exercise, too...I chug it down (filtered, room temp).

Even tho I have the water with me, I don't really sip on it much unless I'm feeling overly warm for some reason. I easily drink 6 liters a day tho.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

i almost NEVER drink just water. i practically live off of unsweetened iced tea though. so i just count that as my water.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Coconut water is also a fantastic source of natural electrolytes. It's the only thing that helped me stay hydrated when I was pregnant in the Louisiana summer. I was drinking water literally all day long, but I was STILL getting dehydrated and having major kidney pains. My chiro suggested coconut water, and within 2 hours of drinking a small carton, my pain went away for the first time in weeks. You can find it at health food stores and some regular grocery stores.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I really only drink water but i find that if I don't keep a bottle with me, I'm thirsty at night. I love the bottles from Costco since they're so big. Don't forget that tea is good for water too. I buy Steeped Tea but I'm not sure it's available in the US.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I just drank 20 ounces of water while reading this thread - LOL. I don't have a problem drinking water and it's my preferred drink of choice. I keep a 20-ounce mug on my desk all day while working and I fill it probably 4 or 5 times a day.

My daughter hates to drink water unless it's flavored and she loves to put a squirt of Mio in her water. She also loves coconut water. She's learning she just needs to drink it because she'll get headaches when she starts to dehydrate and with her sports schedule she's sweating out tons of fluids and needs to replace them.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love water....can't get enough of it....and when I do I pour some lemon juice through it or lemonade (little bit) just to change the taste.

I come to 2-3 liters easily each day....especially when i work. At home I pur a glass and put it on the counter. Each time I come into the kitchen I drink one glass. Easy as that!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

ugh. I'm going through this right now. I swear it's hormonal. What usually works for me is picking up some Gatorade or Powerade (whatever is on sale) and after I drink the bottle I refill it with water and the residual flavor is just enough to keep me drinking. Once I'm re hydrated I don't seem to mind water as much, so it only takes a bottle or two to get me back to drinking plain water more regularly.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I drink lots of water all day long-the only way I like it is In a great big insulated cup with lots of ice and a straw. I sip quite often. I hate drinking warm water out of a glass-blech!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Part of my problem is my teeth are really sensitive, so cold water hurts my teeth... but I don't like warm water either. It still needs to be cool.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 02-22-2012, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Actually, this thread made me think of water, so it was time to go and fill my bottle! :-)

Once you get used to drinking the right amount of water, it's actually pretty easy to remember and it will start tasting better. But there's nothing wrong with squeezing some lemon or lime into your glass.

I honestly feel a lot better when I drink only water and not soda or coffee.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE water so I drink it ALL day long!!! My boys even have their water bottles filled with water and drink it all day long too...the baby has a sippy of water available to him as well. We are water drinkers in this house!!!!

I like just plain ice-cold water, but if it is hard for you to swallow, I would add a bit of lemon to it!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Would a straw help keep it from getting against your teeth too much? My brother can only drink cold drinks through a straw for that reason.

I have a love/hate relationship with water. I honestly haven't had ANY in probably 5 days now. I've had about 16oz of chocolate milk and the rest diet pepsi in that time. The more water I drink the more water I want but once I forget to drink then I'm back to square one. The pepsi always goes down easily, water sometimes gags me despite the fact that I really do like water. I just can't always handle it for some reason.

I gave up the diet pepsi entirely in October for almost 2 months. I drank water exclusively and really enjoyed it. I felt amazing and never had the hydration issues that I've always had. Then I decided I'd have a glass of diet pepsi as a treat and wham... right back to wanting it all the time. I guess that means its a true addiction, eh? I can't just have a little...
Old 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So I'm a hardcore water drinker and my advice would be to start small and gradually add more in, especially if you're mostly used to drinking sugary drinks. Maybe start drinking a glass with lunch or dinner and then add more in after that. Also keep in mind that depending on the size of your glasses, one glass may actually be more than 8 oz (ours our all 16oz) so you might not need to drink as many glasses as you think, especially if you eat a lot of fruit and veggies (which can take care of about 20% of your water intake).
Old 02-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love water. I hardly drink anything else. In fact, when I do drink other liquids, it makes me more thirsty. Also, try drinking it at a time when you are really thirsty. Then you will drink a lot to satisfy the thirst.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE water & drink about a gallon a day! I rarely drink anything else. And, I want it plain. Can't stand it flavored. lol
Old 02-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I also am challenged in taking sufficient water everyday. Being conscious about it helps, and having my own water bottle with me at all times.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love water and rarely drink anything other than it. I find having a bottle in easy reach helps, and starting small. I just drank my entire 40 oz nalgene bottle while reading this thread..and I want more. I drink 4-5 of those bottles a day now and I'm easily addicted. I used to drink 3 2 liter bottles a day when we lived overseas, lol
Old 02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I struggle with getting enough water so I force myself to drink it at work. I try to do a bottle every 2 hours and if I get three bottles a day, I am happy.