Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2023, 11:09 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Thursday Thoughts

Gimme your thoughts today:

1. Will you be handing out candy for Halloween?
  2. Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself?
  3. What are you binge watching right now?
  4. Read any good books lately?
  5. What are you doing this weekend?

Old 10-26-2023, 11:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween?
Yes! I love having trick-or-treaters come to the door!

Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself?
LOL! Technically, no, but I did break into the bag

What are you binge watching right now?
We're watching an older series called Burn Notice.

Read any good books lately?
Not really. I read a lot, but right now, I'm just reading random series on Kindle Unlimited.

What are you doing this weekend?
Nothing planned yet, but I need to start thinking about Christmas. I know...too early, but our youngest is graduating from college on Dec 16 and we'll have family here for that. So, we're going to do an early family Christmas celebration. It's been 6 years since we've had a family Christmas.
Old 10-26-2023, 11:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? Yes

Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? No

What are you binge watching right now? Dateline, 20/20, Big Brother

Read any good books lately? YES! Lights Out

What are you doing this weekend? I will be dancing at the 49er football game for the Gold Rush Reunion
Old 10-26-2023, 12:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? I wish, but in the 17 years I have lived here, I have never had a trick or treater, so no. It bums me because we used to have so much fun handing out candy in PA. My mom would dress as a witch and the candy would be in a cauldron. She would put luminaries up the walkway and play spooky music. Such good memories.

Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? Not usually, but this year, I did have to buy candy and have snuck some.

What are you binge watching right now? A series called The Devil You Know on Prime. I love true crime stuff.

Read any good books lately? I just finshed the 33rd prey novel by John Sandford; love me some Davenport and Flowers. I just started the newest Jack Reacher novel. Other than that, I did a whole kindle limited romatic series from Emma Leech, I think that is the correct spelling, and enjoyed it. The writing was fine, but what I really enjoy is the connection between all the stories. It's like catching up with friends. LOL

What are you doing this weekend? This is a big weekend for our family; my sister and I are hosting a baby shower for my son and his wife. They wanted a Halloween themed one and we have pulled out all the stops to host a "Witches' Tea." We took a different path than a normal baby shower, so instead of the typical games, we are having them create witches' hats to wear at a photo booth, having a chinese auction, a diaper raffle, two guess how many games and tea type treats. I hope everyone enjoys it because we went all out. The phrase, "more money than brains" has been used a few times. LOL What can I say, I am excited to be a grammy.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yes. Although last year we hardly had any ToT'ers! I will definitely be buying less candy to pass out this time.
I usually grab a single bag of the candy corn & pumpkins and a bag of the caramel apple lollipops, but I haven't this year! We are just not that into candy and so I don't feel the need.
My daughter and I were just binging Friends until about 3 weeks ago. We hit season 7 (I think) and fizzled out. Now I'm not really watching anything. I'd much rather read a book or play a game on my phone while listening to ASMR.
I just finished the most recent book in JK Rowling's Cormoran Strike series. So good!
We are going to a Hween party at a friend's house on Saturday and on Sunday we will probably do a fall festival somewhere. Not really sure.

Old 10-26-2023, 12:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hey fun questions:
We have some candies to give but generally no children come by, Halloween is not a very famous holiday here.
Hmmm should I tell the truth? Yes I love my Halloween candy!
The kids are on vacation so we watch movies or cartoons every night at the moment!lol!
Nope but I hope to read a new one soon!
We are going to visit a castle decorated with Halloween activities. They're forecasting a storm so we'll probably stay home afterwards. And prepare a little Halloween dinner before the official one lol and carving a little pumpkin. We also planned to make a raclette (melted cheese with cold meats and potatoes). We love it here and it's a perfect season!
Old 10-26-2023, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
What are you doing this weekend? This is a big weekend for our family; my sister and I are hosting a baby shower for my son and his wife. They wanted a Halloween themed one and we have pulled out all the stops to host a "Witches' Tea." We took a different path than a normal baby shower, so instead of the typical games, we are having them create witches' hats to wear at a photo booth, having a chinese auction, a diaper raffle, two guess how many games and tea type treats. I hope everyone enjoys it because we went all out. The phrase, "more money than brains" has been used a few times. LOL What can I say, I am excited to be a grammy.
Congrats Lorie, Seems so fun! We don't have those baby shower here's but Halloween theme seems really exciting and fun!
Old 10-26-2023, 01:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? I wish, but in the 17 years I have lived here, I have never had a trick or treater, so no. It bums me because we used to have so much fun handing out candy in PA. My mom would dress as a witch and the candy would be in a cauldron. She would put luminaries up the walkway and play spooky music. Such good memories.

Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? Not usually, but this year, I did have to buy candy and have snuck some.

What are you binge watching right now? A series called The Devil You Know on Prime. I love true crime stuff.

Read any good books lately? I just finshed the 33rd prey novel by John Sandford; love me some Davenport and Flowers. I just started the newest Jack Reacher novel. Other than that, I did a whole kindle limited romatic series from Emma Leech, I think that is the correct spelling, and enjoyed it. The writing was fine, but what I really enjoy is the connection between all the stories. It's like catching up with friends. LOL

That's so exciting! I can't wait to see the photos. I've never heard of a chinese auction. What is that?
My name to the Grandbabies is Grammy (Grandma + Tammy)! I love it!
Old 10-26-2023, 02:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

-Will you be handing out candy for Halloween?
I usually set out a bowl with candy in it while we go out with our youngest for trick or treating.

-Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself?
Nah.

-What are you binge watching right now?
We have watched almost all of the Saw movies this past month.

-Read any good books lately?
I'm reading a book written by the daughter of Dennis Rader (BTK).

-What are you doing this weekend?
Working and then I'll be off for a bit after I have yet another foot surgery.

Old 10-26-2023, 04:29 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? I don't know - Jake loves to do it - but candy is expensive and we live right at the entrance of the subdivision and do not get too many kids.

Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? No - again too expensive. I almost died when I saw crappy candy corn was $6 for 11oz at Meijer... dang, how much for the good stuff? lol

What are you binge watching right now? Acapulco on Apple, Real Housewives of Salt Lake City, SisterWives, and whatever the latest 90Days are out...

Read any good books lately? I brain numbing books... so not really any that I would like to admit too, lol.

What are you doing this weekend? We have a college visit on Saturday and Sunday is typical youth symphony day.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? No, we don't get any trick or treaters here. We live on a 55 mph state road.
Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? I'd like to, but I reallllly need to lose weight.
What are you binge watching right now? I'm watching the last season of The Crown so I'm ready for the final season next month.
Read any good books lately? I'm not much of a reader but I may get Arnold Schwarzenegger's new book. It sounds good to me.
What are you doing this weekend? Good question. I should do some tidying up that I've procrastinated doing.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? Nope. They are not alllowed in our apartment complex. Instead they have a Halloween party that includes trunk or treating, this weekend. .

Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? not really, but I am seriously craving bite sized 3 musketeers right now. I can't do a whole bar cause its way too sweet, but I think Im gonna need to buy some minis!

What are you binge watching right now? My husband and I are watching Life on our Planet narrated by Morgan Freeman on Netflix. It's really good.

Read any good books lately? oh my gosh, always! I know they are older, but I never read them and kindle starting offering free ones, so I started the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. Im really loving the characters. I just found out they are making a TV series!

What are you doing this weekend? Ummm... Idk, but hopefully something outdoors because they weather is amazing right now in Central Florida and I have recovered enough from having a heart stent put in that I am ready to be a bit active again!

Old 10-26-2023, 05:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

blah. yes. darcy is on nights and it's already winter here with snow so there probably won't be many kids (we don't get many even when it's nice weather) i really am not a huge fan of halloween but I don't want to not hand out hallloween and be "that house" ya know? LOL. Our dog always goes crazy on halloween so that's never fun either

no but I do buy a pumpkin every year just so that i can roast pumpkin seeds.. I don't really care about carving it

we just finished "normal people"

currently reading (listening to) normal people even though I just watched it.. I was curious about the differences in the book

I'll be working on trying to catch up with my life. I'm kinda down in the dumps.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? No, we are surrounded by cornfields, so we don't get any trick-or-treaters.
Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? My husband has been buying some.
What are you binge-watching right now? Hallmark Christmas Movies! Because why not?!
Read any good books lately? I read almost every day, but nothing great lately.
What are you doing this weekend? My 16-year-old son is running in Districts for cross country and my 13-year-old son has a baseball game on Saturday.
Old 10-26-2023, 06:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Yes! I love having trick-or-treaters come to the door!

LOL! Technically, no, but I did break into the bag

We're watching an older series called Burn Notice.

Not really. I read a lot, but right now, I'm just reading random series on Kindle Unlimited.

Nothing planned yet, but I need to start thinking about Christmas. I know...too early, but our youngest is graduating from college on Dec 16 and we'll have family here for that. So, we're going to do an early family Christmas celebration. It's been 6 years since we've had a family Christmas.
Tammy, my husband used to watch Burn Notice ALL THE TIME!!
Old 10-26-2023, 06:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

no, our place has a long drive way and [I think] we only have one little neighboor and I don't think they do T&T-ing.

we do, it's for my daughter, we do scavenger hunt for her where I put the chocolates inside a tiny pumpkin shaped storage box case with mini collectible figures.

my husband and I are currently watching One Piece, and I think I'm gonna make a dissertation about it, lol!

I'm currently reading The Serpent And The Wings Of Night by Carissa Broadbent, it was a recommendation from the group I belong to.

I am rearranging my books because I will be buying a new bookshelf but I'm I'm not sure when yet, so my books are on the dining table right now; I will also be putting the blinds for our sliding door. If you want things done, you gonna diy
Old 10-26-2023, 07:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We will buy a bag, but haven't had anyone stop for over 15 years. A family with two little girls moved onto our road earlier this year, so they might stop.

Yes, but only when it's on clearance

Have been on a Dateline kick as of late

I just finished a book about Chris Watts called My Daddy is my Hero

Hanging close to home. Being retired, we can go out and about during the week when it's not busy, so we usually stick around the house on the weekends (unless we are going out with friends or family)
Old 10-26-2023, 09:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, we get about 200 kids

No, the kids bring home enough - and they don't eat it lol

Emily in Paris

The Housemaid - Freida McFadden

Getting the last parts of the halloween costumes, and not really much else lol

Old 10-26-2023, 09:58 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm shocked at home many people don't get any trick or treaters!

Old 10-29-2023, 01:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? Yep
Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? No, but we did go to a big candy store last week and found treats for each of us.
What are you binge watching right now? all the current versions of 90 Fiance.
Read any good books lately? Always, My most recent 5 star books were Fredrik Backman's My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry, Jeanine Cummins' American Dirt, and Eleanor Shearer's River Sing Me Home.
What are you doing this weekend? Yesterday we went to our neighbor's wedding and today I did homework and we will just chill the rest of the day
Old 10-29-2023, 02:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? - No, we're mostly empty nesters in my area and it's very dark so all the kids would have to be driven from home to home.
Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? No
What are you binge watching right now? I've been binging on Doc Martin, a British comedy-drama series
Read any good books lately? No, I haven't read a book in years since they give me migraines.
What are you doing this weekend? Saturday my son and I are taking the kids to a Halloween event at our Nature Center and Sunday I'll need to recuperate.

Old 10-29-2023, 07:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

'Tis now Sunday- but my thoughts...

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? Probably not- kids are too big to really care and are usually doing their own thing.
Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? I try NOT to- so I wont eat it all!
What are you binge watching right now? nothing really, hubby just binged the entire sons of anarchy show again- so I saw parts of that. We've been so busy this fall that we haven't had much time to devote to watching a show.
Read any good books lately? I listened to a few good ones lately- Charm City Rocks by Matthew Norman was fun and The It Girl by Ruth Ware was great.
What are you doing this weekend? We were at the State Slowpitch Softball Tournament with my daughter's team. The got 2nd- super close championship game that could've gone either way. They lost 17-18. We got home last night. Today, my son had a hockey game, then hubby & I went on a costco run- and also bought a new tv since our main living room tv quit working after 10 years. So it's been an expensive, busy weekend!
Old 10-30-2023, 07:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes, but Halloween isn't really a big thing around here, so I have no idea how many kids will show up.

No, not really

Oh, I wish I had time to sit back, relax and watch television

No, not really. I only read childrens bedtime storie at the moment.

We went out for dinner with my parents, my brother and his wife. We had an amazing time and ate really good food.

Old 10-30-2023, 09:27 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
That's so exciting! I can't wait to see the photos. I've never heard of a chinese auction. What is that?
My name to the Grandbabies is Grammy (Grandma + Tammy)! I love it!
Back in PA, the local churches would hold "Chinese Auctions" as a way to raise money. How it works is that people donate items to be auctioned off and then people are able to buy tickets, like 5 for a dollar, and you put your tickets in the cup or box of the things you would like to win. At the end of the event, they draw one ticket to win each prize.

So basically it is an auction of a lot of smaller items instead of one or two big items. Of course the one at the shower was not for money. Everyone got five tickets and had a chance to chose between 13 different Halloween decorative items they could win.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is Monday and I am just getting around to posting or checking the forums. It sounds like everyone had a good weekend.

Will you be handing out candy for Halloween? nope. We are at the end of a cul de sac...dark corner and no kids come up our way but the kids on the street all go out together...we pick up a few more on the way around too...ends up being about 12 or more kids and equally as many adults.

Do you buy Halloween candy for yourself? Maybe...I love the fun size candy...esp 3 Musketeers lately

What are you binge watching right now? Always Criminal Minds! I have also been watching FBI True. Hubby and I are watching the Bosch series on Prime, we just finished Shelter from Harlen Coben and with our kiddo we are watching the new Goosebumps series on Disney

Read any good books lately? I just finished a few pretty good books. I am so behind on my posting and updating. LIFE!! I read Homecoming by Kate Morton (long but amazing), today I finished A Flicker in the Dark by Stacey Willingham (a page turner), I am also reading The In Between by Hadley Vlahos (it is a nonfiction book written by a hospice nurse and her encounters with patients. A great read!)

What are you doing this weekend? We had a trunk or treat on Saturday night with church and Sunday's are church. I can't remember Friday! LOL It was a busy week.