Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm
Cool A Little Big Intro :)

Good Evening Everyone!

My name is Kelly and I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a semi-new mom and wife (married since August of '08, mom since September of '08) residing in Central Florida and I LOVE LOVE LOVE crafting and experimenting with various ways of making my creative visions come to life. During Madison's first year, spare time was pretty nonexistant. However, now that she is on the brink of toddler days, I'm feeling more comfortable taking some time for myself to enjoy the things I've always loved.

I've been interested in scrapbooking for quite some time but I've never been able to really delve into it before now. Now that I have thousands (literally) of beautiful photos of my new family, it's time to give them some love and try my hand at scrapbooking. I've decided that digital is the way to go as it is the most flexible, mom-friendly way for me at present time.

Because I've never walked this road before, I've spent the last two afternoons (during nap time of course ) browsing web boards, watching tutorials, and looking around the various shops out there. While I feel a *little* overwhelmed with the options, I'm bound and determined not to let this get the best of me.

I'm still a bit undecided on what editing program I want to purchase. I'm not professionally trained with computers but I do consider myself pretty capable and very knowledgable about them. So far, the tutorials on PSE8 have been well understood -- it's the reviews on the program itself that kind of scare me. Oh well, I'm allowing myself a few more days to decide. Personal experiences are always welcome! (I'm on a brand new laptop running Windows 7, FWIW.)

I must run now, my daughter has removed the pots and pans from the cabinet and is now trying to squeeze her hiney into my skillet. Again, I'm very happy to be a new member of this community and I very much hope to be around for the long haul.

Have a fab night and I look forward to joining everyone on the boards.

~Kelly

PS - My Wish List already contains around $60 worth of things. I'm only allowing myself to make one purchase to experiment with for now...but I'm already in love with the very talented and gorgeous products in the Shoppe.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome!

I think PSE is an excellent program to start with. It is what I have used for several years and feel pretty comfortable with it. There is so much I have learned about it and so much I have yet to learn. It is quite easy to use in my opinion.

Be forewarned...digital scrapping is a little on the addictive side. But I love it none the less and have created some wonderful pages for our family!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hi. Welcome. I encourage you to try the challenges here too. They are so much fun and you can earn a discount on shopping!
Old 02-16-2010, 11:51 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the quick replies and wonderful welcomes.

I'm already a little hooked and I haven't even started yet...so I'm SURE I'll be addicted soon. That's alright though, I'm ready to have a little "me time" and what better way to use it than being creative and artsy?!

As soon as I master a few LOs, I'll look into the challenges. I'm always up for a challenge!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My Mom uses PSE and she loves it.
Great to have ya here taking the big plunge into digiscrap.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to the digi world!! This is a great group of scrappers, I'm glad you found your way here! Everyone is super helpful and friendly. I've never used PSE myself, so I've got no advice there, sorry!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to SSD! You'll love it here!!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, thanks, and thanks again.

I think I'm pretty set on PSE8. Crossing fingers it works out for me...

I've been to many web boards over the last two days and this one seemed to fit my personality the best -- everyone is so helpful and kind to each other. I have enjoyed browsing the posts. I'm definitely happy to be here!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to SSD! It's awesome here! I started out with PSE and it is a fantastic program for scrapping. There are tons of tutorials online with hints and tips. Our very own Misty Cato has an awesome blog with great step-by-step how-tos. http://mistycato.wordpress.com/tutorials/
Old 02-17-2010, 12:44 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Oh wow, thanks for the link to the blog/tutorials! I'm headed over to check them out now. I appreciate your help!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome!! It's great to have you here! Misty has the best tutorials and if you need any other kind of help just shout! We are always here to help out!!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to LenaGardner

welcome to Sweet Shoppe Designs! Like the previous posters said, Misty has great tuts! I don't use PSE so I'm no help but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it in no time!
Old 02-17-2010, 08:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to the club! If you're trying to go easy on the money spending, you might want to try one of the Quaterly Assortments; it has lots of little mini kits from all the designers and is really fun! {I think there might be a new one coming out soon, though, so maybe hold off on that if you are really only going to make ONE purchase...}

And the fabulous Zoe Pearn has a free kit just for signing up for her newsletter here: Zoe's CT Blog.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Welcome
Old 02-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hi and Welcome... I too recommend the quarterly assortments... you get a little taste of what each designer is like plus you'll have a nice assortment for the challenges. I use PSE6 and LOVE it! I think it's a great program to start out with.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to SSD!

Which program you use is really just a user preference. PSE and PSP are both great affordable programs..I started out with PSP when I started digi almost 5 years ago b/c I already had it on my pc at the time and I've been using it (upgraded occasionally) ever since..I keep talking about upgrading to CS4 but have yet to make the plunge b/c I'm so comfortable with PSP after all this time and it does everything I need it to. I did purchase lightroom for my photo editing and am IN LOVE/OBSESSED/ADDICTED to it lol

Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to SSD! I remember how scary it was when I was first starting digi but I just kept at it and it didn't take long for it to become a smooth process. Just enjoy the journey and there is always someone around here willing to help out and answer questions you may have along the way!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome! What a fabulous lil' intro! You'll fit right in here!

I also recommend PSE.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome! I started out with PSE 4 and have since moved to 6, and I'm very happy with it. You'll find it does everything you need it to do - and then some!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hi Kelly and welcome to SSD. You are about to embark on such a fabulous and addictive journey with digital scrapbooking.
I personally use PSCS4, but had the chance to use PSE8 recently when I had some PC issues and had to use an older laptop for a few weeks. While I love CS4 I think PSE8 is a great choice for a new digital scrapper.
I wish you much joy and tons of fun with your new hobby.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to SSD!! I also recommend PSE - I think it's great for digi-scrapping - I taught one of my friends in PSE and she had no problems with it!!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

WElcome!!! WE have all been where you are, so make yourself at home!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hi Kelly! Welcome!!

Kellie above me gave you great reccomendations for kits to start with - the Quarterly Assortments are WONDERFUL! And make sure you check out the designers blogs for newsletters and freebies.

I also want to add - feel free to start with scrapping along with the challenges. It's a great way to get some more percentage off of these delicious SSD kits!!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Good Morning Everyone! What a sweet surprise to find even more kind comments RE: my Intro and my journey into digital scrapbooking.

I've taken every bit of advice to heart -- I just signed up for Zoe Pearn's newsletter, I read over Misty's tutorials before bed last night, and I'm scouring around now for some final information before I purchase PSE8 today. While the reviews have been mediocre, I'm finding that most of the complaints involve transferring files/PSE veterans. Since I'm starting fresh and have nothing to lose (literally), I think it'll be a fine fit.

I have money bookmarked for my Wish List items but I'm saving it as a reward for myself once I nail my first LO.

Again, I'm so very happy to be here and I look forward to being a productive member of this community. Everyone has welcomed me in such a kind manner and I know I've found the right place to be. Thanks again!

Now I'm heading over to the Challenges area to take a peek...I may start there as recommended.

ETA: The kits are a fabulous idea -- what a deal!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to SSD Kelly!! Everyone has had awesome advice so far, so I don't think I have any more, lol. I'm also a PSE user (I use version 6) - I've used PSE since I started scrapping in 2005 and it still does everything I want it to (except text paths, but I can buy those, lol).

Another place for great tutorials & ideas is to browse The Daily Digi (.com). There is a great beginners section there: http://thedailydigi.com/new/ (to find this again, click the paper that says "Tutorials & More - a great place to start" on the right hand side of the home page).

You picked a great month to join in too, btw! Its February - which is SSD's birthday, and there is a huge celebration going on with fun games to win GC's to the store, kits from designers, etc! And some of them don't even require making a layout. Libby's for example - all you have to do is pick a fave product of hers and you're entered to win it. Easy peasy!! You can find the Celebration forums here: https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...play.php?f=134

Anyways, welcome again, and have fun!!!

Huge fan of:

Old 02-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Hey Kelly!

Welcome! I know you are going to like it here. I have found so much inspiration, talent and 'sweetness' here that I check SSD community before I hit my email. I have found everyone to be so nice and friendly and I have learned so much here from checking out the gallery! I want you to know that the best piece of advice I got was to stick with it... it took me forever to do my first LO. And I am still pretty new, and still pretty slow, but I look forward to the time I get to spend scrapin'.

Also, my fav day is Friday. We get little glimpes of what is coming out new on Saturday... I get so excited seeing what the designers come up with! It inspires me to see the world around me differently, and I want to scrap all of it.

I am so glad you are here. You are going to love it!
Alison
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

hi :]

one of the greatest aspects of this community is that there's always someone around who can help.. So if you purchase pse.. and get stuck-- there are GOBS of girlies here who use the program :]

Glad to have you here at SSD!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Hello and welcome!!! Glad to have you joining our sweet little community!!!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

Welcome! Sounds like you're getting all kinds of good advice here. I just wanted to 2nd Steph's comment about the designers' blogs being good inspiration and also suggest signing up for all their newsletters. I know most of them offer up freebies and coupons a couple times a year through the newsletters.

And now is the perfect time for you to start being that it's too cold down here to do anything outside anyway LOL! I'm in Polk County and we've been freezing over here.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Hey, Kelly!
Welcome to SSD! I'm a former Central FL gal myself! (lived on the East side near UCF) but we moved this summer and now I'm in AR.
I see you've all ready received a lot of links/tips so I'll just say HI and WELCOME!!!

Penny
Old 02-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome to the boards! I think you'll find that the Sweet Shoppe is one of the most friendly and welcoming digi-scrapping communities around... I'm sure you'll love it here!

Just be careful... once you start scrapping, you won't be able to stop! LOL!

I'm not a lot of help in terms of PSE8, although I know that it is what many scrappers use and I've always been happy with Adobe programs!
Old 02-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hi Kelly, welcome! I'm a former Florida girl - forever a Gator!!

welcome to SSD, you'll totally love it here. Wait until you experience your first round of new releases...Sneak Peaks start on Friday (only TWO more days!). Then all of the glorious new goodies hit the shoppe on Saturday.

*sigh*.

It's what keeps me going between football seasons.

beckie_scraps on IG!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

Welcome aboard! This is the best scrapping community out there. Period. The folks here are just awesome, and always helpful.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Welcome!!! SSD is a great place to hang out.

~~Siggie by Laura (emmasmommy)~~
Old 02-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Thanks again to everyone else who has replied. Again, I'm so amazed at how wonderfully sweet this community is -- I'm so glad I stumbled upon this website.

I just returned from a dentist appointment and my reward for being such a good patient was a quick stop at Staples to pick up PSE8. It comes with a $20 rebate right now. Woohoo!

It's time for me to get started!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to AmyM

U go girl! Get to scrappin'!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I started with PSE and now I use CS3. I bought Renee Pearson's book (with CDs) and that is how I learned basically within a week!!! I highly recommend it ... it comes with a trial of PSE and a kit and the book walks you step by step in creating different kinds of scrapbook pages. I have taught several of my friends from what I learned in this book and several more have bought the book. I sold mine ... and then ended up buying another one at a sale for my sons to use. Do make sure you get the GREEN book ... the orange book is for designing kits/elements ... not what you want to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Design.../dp/1933516054

You might see if you can find a used version but be sure there are the CDs included! I don't think it is in print any longer....shame as it is an excellent book.

I remember paper scrapping when I had 2 toddlers ... that didn't happen or not very often ... digital is a great way to scrapbook around children plus it's cheaper!
Old 02-18-2010, 12:46 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Kay View Post
I started with PSE and now I use CS3. I bought Renee Pearson's book (with CDs) and that is how I learned basically within a week!!! I highly recommend it ... it comes with a trial of PSE and a kit and the book walks you step by step in creating different kinds of scrapbook pages. I have taught several of my friends from what I learned in this book and several more have bought the book. I sold mine ... and then ended up buying another one at a sale for my sons to use. Do make sure you get the GREEN book ... the orange book is for designing kits/elements ... not what you want to start with.

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Design.../dp/1933516054

You might see if you can find a used version but be sure there are the CDs included! I don't think it is in print any longer....shame as it is an excellent book.

I remember paper scrapping when I had 2 toddlers ... that didn't happen or not very often ... digital is a great way to scrapbook around children plus it's cheaper!
Aw, thanks for the awesome rec! I will be checking it out tomorrow after work.

Oh, and yes -- I truly think digital scrapbooking is the way to go for me. With a 16 month old running around (who is in to EVERYTHING), it's definitely the safest, least expensive, most kid-friendly way for me to pull this off. I'm so excited I'm giddy. LOL!