Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Gaining weight after Atkins

Ugh! Have you any of you done Atkins and then when you went back to eating normally started gaining the weight back?

I did it for a month, lost 9 lbs. the first week, gained 2 the second week, lost 2 the third week and gained 1 the last week. So, all in all I lost 8 lbs. in a month on Atkins.

I got off of it this week and have been eating just 1200 calories a day and doing 1 1/2 to 2 hours of cardio a day BUT....I have gained 3 lbs. in 3 days!

I guess it is sort of my fault as I didn't migrate off of it like the book suggests. I am just frustrated though and feel like I wasted a month's time. Instead of doing Atkins, I should have just reduced my calories and do my workouts and I would probably be down the 8 lbs anyway! I tried to go for a big weight loss fast and gradual over time would have been better!

Creating for: Krystal Hartley
Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think this is another proof that no dietary regime can have long-term results unless you can adher to it for the rest of your life... Good luck with finding the one that works for you!

Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

atkins is more of a lifestyle, imo.
everyone i know who's tried it for a fast loss has gained everything back, plus some.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:19 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Unless you're going to eat low carb the rest of your life you will gain it back. I did Adkins back when everyone was doing it and lost 30 lbs..I was skinnier than I'd ever been since high school...but as soon as you stop the weight comes back. And I just couldn't see myself never eating carbs again lol

I do much better with low calorie and portion control when I'm trying to lose.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, once you stop it comes right back. Like Nikki, I've decided the best way to go is portion control and watching my refined carbs.

Penny
Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You have to commit to eating low carb as a lifestyle. I did it after both kids, and maintained the weight loss for years...until I started eating normally again. I think there is a section in the book about lifestyle maintainance.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When you are on atkins you just can't go off, much like any diet. You have to have a lifestyle change. My mom does very well on atkins but the only way she can maintain the weight loss is to continue with a life style change. Including a lot of the atkins regimen

Old 04-01-2011, 10:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Its no different than any eating plan, if you change completely over night your body is going to rebel. If you went from very low carb to high carb (especially sugar carbs) your body is going to hold on to some water weight. Keep on what you are doing and those 3 pounds should come off soon! You shouldn't gain it all back unless you stop watching what you eat all together.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I did the Atkins Diet for 3 years and was very successful at it. I did read the whole book and followed it to a "T". I added back carbs each week like you should and monitored it closely...I lost about 32lbs before I spent the summer in New Zealand and Australia (which was VERY hard to stay on track down there...I took LOTS of bars with me to eat for breakfast) and kept it off until I got pregnant with my now 4.5 year old.

After I had Jason and I Seth I went on WW and am now a lifetime member....but trying to get back to goal weight after having Derek!!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Low carbs and high protein has become a lifetime thing here because of my surgery and the fact that my body does not do well at all with carbs, but I tried it several years ago and gained back the weight after going off of it. Every diet has a bounce back effect when you get off of it. My mom had success with Jenny Craig, but when she stopped their food, she gained back.

I think you can't go wrong with portion control and exercice. Good luck, I know how difficult it can be. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to worry about our weight!
Old 04-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanienamou View Post
Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to worry about our weight!
Fo sho! I would love to have the metabolism that I had in my twenties again!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks girlies for the input! I know I did this to myself and have got to stop yo-yo dieting because it is not good and isn't a lifestyle that I can maintain. I know that with portion control and dedicated exercise I can get this weight off and keep that lifestyle. I just have to remember that slow and steady wins the race and not be in such a big hurry!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:54 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am not a big fan of atkins to be honest.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
atkins is more of a lifestyle, imo.
everyone i know who's tried it for a fast loss has gained everything back, plus some.
Yep. I did Atkins for about 6 months and lost a lot of weight, but then I got prego and had to stop it. You have to change how you eat for the rest of your life, if you reintroduce all those carbs, you'll gain.

I gain if I LOOK at a piece of bread or pasta, so I try to avoid them in general. It's not easy though! Carbs are hidden everywhere!