Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2015, 12:50 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - Celebrity Encounters - 09.30.15

Have you ever had a run-in with a celebrity? We'll consider local celebrities, like news anchors, too. Was s/he the same as they are on TV/in the movies/whatever? Share if you have a photo of you with your celebrity!

I was able to meet Jennifer Nettles & Kristian Bush of Sugarland way back (summer of 2006) before they were mega-popular. The funny thing is that I was able to get M&G passes because an old scrap friend of mine is good friends with Kristian's wife.

I have a photo, but I will have to post tomorrow morning from work.

ETA:

Last edited by LeeAndra; 09-30-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:37 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

This one is random but when my sister was a freshman at UC Berkeley, the guy that played Gordo on the Lizzie McGuire show lived in the dorm right behind hers. One weekend when I was visiting, he and his friends were having a get together in the courtyard between the two buildings so a group of us went and crashed it. Turns out they were all super high and cooking burgers on a tiny charcoal grill because munchies. They were nice enough to offer us burgers which we politely declined. LOL He was even smaller in person than he looked on TV.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:42 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I don't have a photo but we took the kids up to NYC for a weekend last year and we stayed at the Waldorf Astoria. While we were waiting for our car to be brought up to us when we were leaving this huge Escalade pulls up and out pops Ashton Kutcher. My kids and husband of course are completely oblivious and I just stood there like a goldfish flapping my jaw because I didn't know what to say. He said hi, maneuvered himself around my children who were more worried about playing Pokemon on their DSs on the way home than anything else and went into the building.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Not really... But once I was in Abbotsford, British Columbia on business and Chad Kroeger of the Nickleback band was in a sports car stopped at the same intersection. Very random.

Oh! I did see the Queen at a function once. It was amazing! She has the bluest eyes. I have photos, but I'll have to dig them out tonight.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We met Julianne Hough (Dancing with the Stars) and Chuck Wicks (Country Singer) at the Lenawee County Fair the first summer we were living in Michigan. They were a couple at the time and had just finished their season of Dancing with the Stars.

She had a concert there that night and they were just walking around. They were both super sweet, Chuck was adorable, he chased Cooper down when we were trying to take pictures, Keira grabbed his hand and tried to get him to take her on the rides.

Sean with Julianne

Me with Chuck & Cooper

Keira and Cooper with them.

I also met the guy that use to host that PBS show, Where in the World is Carmen San Diego. I was in 7th grade and some of us participated in a contest. We got to be the characters from the show in a live version they put on at the mall.

Last edited by nesser1981; 09-30-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:40 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've kissed Bob Barker on the cheek when on The Price is Right. I mean, you have to, right?

Last year I was at a Tim McGraw concert and was close enough to him to lick him. If I didn't think I'd get kicked out I may have tried to.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I met Darryl Worley at a meet and greet before his concert a number of years ago - perks of being married to a radio dj. haha... now, my hubby - he has meet a lot of country stars... Trisha Yearwood, Ronnie Milsap, George Strait, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, Martina McBride... and there are probably more... he doesn't remember them all.

Otherwise, I have met two of the local weatherman when kiddo had his weatherman phase, we took tours of the tv stations. And the main news anchor for our NBC affiliate goes to my church.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We used to go to concerts often as a teenager. My brother, me and always a big group of friends. After we'd stalk the area looking for them We got to meet the singer for Tonic, he was really cool. He was on the phone outside his tour bus when we found him (sound a little stalkerish there...) and he motioned for us to hang around til he was done, and he chatted with us and signed our tickets. We went to a Moby/Bush concert (I'm feeling really old here) and we stopped to ask for directions to the bus parking, and while we were getting them Moby walked over and told us right where they were parking so we got to chat with him, then we drove around and parked right in front of Bush's bus. Grabbed a pic of my brother's van in front of that massive bus, then his van wouldn't start and security freaked out because we couldn't move it. We ended up getting to meet all the members of Bush, but his van had to be towed and never ran again lmao. Met Third Eye Blind too, but I'll tell you who had the best security ever... We saw Matchbox 20 in concert five times, and never managed to get to meet them. We kept getting kicked out of all their secure areas. Every single time. *sigh* my favorite band.

Those are the only famous people I've met, at concerts. Never run into anyone in the real world.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:24 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have a photo of Billy Joe Royal of Down in the Boondocks fame and me!
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-30-2015, 10:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You'd have to watch So You Think You Can Dance for this one - but I grew up dancing with and against the choreographer Stacy Tookey. My little sister dated her brother ( and danced with him) too and just took her little sisters engagement photos a few weeks ago.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:02 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexy View Post
You'd have to watch So You Think You Can Dance for this one - but I grew up dancing with and against the choreographer Stacy Tookey. My little sister dated her brother ( and danced with him) too and just took her little sisters engagement photos a few weeks ago.
I was taught many times by Mandy Moore, Mia Michaels, and a few others on that show. Back before it was even a show. They would teach master classes as a convention we would attend with my dance studio. I even have a t-shirt with a bunch of their autographs!

I've also met one of the Bachelors in Vegas. Jake Palveka... I have a picture with him but will have to wait till I get home to find that lol

I have Carrie Underwood's autograph from right after she won American Idol. I met her at country thunder one year.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
I've kissed Bob Barker on the cheek when on The Price is Right. I mean, you have to, right?
wait wait.. so you were ON the price is right?
Old 09-30-2015, 11:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I once had a local rapper sign my boobs... I was young and clueless then. I've also been running into the Ylvis brothers (the Ylvis from "What does the fox say?") and repetedly met a local news anchor (I even babysat his kids one in the good old days). And when I was in high school I slow danced with a local basketball "star" I was head over heels for. Oh and the last few weeks I've been delivering mail to a former soccer pro who is now a sports anchor. Fun times
Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

None for me, but my brother has met Jack Black who comes to visit relatives who live in a little town in Washington.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:51 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Paul Teutul, Sr. from American Chopper (reality show that was on TLC) frequents the little local breakfast diner in Delray Beach we like to eat at. I've spotted him there twice. He always looks miserable. LOL.

At the airport on the way home from our SSD Vegas trip I spotted the cast of TLC's Sister Wives: Kody, Meri, Robyn, Janelle, and Christine. They were wandering around together looking for a place to order food.

I saw John Travolta here at the Boca Raton Resort (when I was 15), he was walking from the pool area to the beach.

The drummer for Iron Maiden (Nicko McBrain) played drums at my church off and on years ago while I was on the music team. He and I have spoke, but after running into him at the mall a few months ago he was polite but didn't seem to remember me. I'm ok with that.

Lastly, I met Scott Stapp from Creed at church, they live here and were coming to church off and on. He even sang once. But, they've had problems and they haven't been back. I heard in the news he is bipolar and has problems with addiction.

Old 09-30-2015, 01:47 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I've got a few -

* My daughter & I met Taylor Swift (and her mom) backstage during the Red Tour. Taylor's management contacted us after seeing our YouTube video where we surprised my daughter with the tickets. They gave us back stage passes & upgraded our seats to pit passes. It was the best night EVER.

* Carrie Underwood's sister was a patient in our office when I was an orthodontic assistant. Carrie grew up not far from where I grew up, so that was really cool.

* We met the guys from Impractical Jokers (on TruTV) last year. It was amazing. Our tickets were screwed up, and we missed part of the show. Jeff went to the event manager after the show, and they offered us meet & greet passes for our trouble. The guys were SO real and down to earth. Next to the Taylor Swift thing, that was like the best night ever.

* If you're into Christian music, we've met Sidewalk Prophets & Audio Adrenaline. We met AA back when Kevin Max was with them (he was formerly with DC Talk). Super awesome show & very cool guys to chat with.

* My uncle used to be John Anderson's drummer (country music singer - "Swingin'" was his most popular hit that you might've heard). So, I met him many times as a kid.

* When my sister and I were LITTLE (like elementary school age), we got to sit on the "staircase of stars" during the old "You Can Be A Star" tv show on TNN. It was a singing competition long before American Idol had ever been heard of. Anyway, they often had audience members on the staircase leading into commercial breaks. We sat with one of the hosts, Dan Miller, and told a really corny joke. LOL

Last edited by Libby Pritchett; 09-30-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
wait wait.. so you were ON the price is right?
Yes, yes I was. It was pretty freaking cool.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Apparently 'Tad & Liza' (can't think of their real life names) from All My Children saw me at a Mall meet and greet when I was a baby and said I was the cutest baby ever (who doesn't say that when they meet babies?? lol). I have seen Jason Prestley, Dwight Deon, and WWE wrestler Hillbilly Jim (all before this girl was comfortable being in front of a camera :O ).
Old 09-30-2015, 04:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I want to see The Price Is Right video!!!
Old 09-30-2015, 04:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Do you have an old school VHS player? That's how long ago it was. LOL! It was also aired during Bill Clinton's "I Did Not Have Sexual Relations With That Woman" speech so there is about 20 minutes or so of him. But, you can see my parts so that's all that matters.

I bid on some pots/bakeware to get on stage, then I played "It's In The Bag" and won $16K, spun the wheel and made it to the Showcase Showdown. I lost to a professional clown from Las Vegas. LOL!

Old 09-30-2015, 05:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That is SO freakin' cool, Carrie. You just can't make that stuff up. LOL

So, you need to watch the video and record it with your cell phone just so we can watch!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

You won $16K on The Price Is Right?! ZOMG.

#winning #hero4life
Old 09-30-2015, 05:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Do you have an old school VHS player? That's how long ago it was. LOL! It was also aired during Bill Clinton's "I Did Not Have Sexual Relations With That Woman" speech so there is about 20 minutes or so of him. But, you can see my parts so that's all that matters.

I bid on some pots/bakeware to get on stage, then I played "It's In The Bag" and won $16K, spun the wheel and made it to the Showcase Showdown. I lost to a professional clown from Las Vegas. LOL!
that is epic. the fact that it was aired during that moment in history. 16k is awesome too!!
Old 09-30-2015, 05:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby Pritchett View Post
That is SO freakin' cool, Carrie. You just can't make that stuff up. LOL

So, you need to watch the video and record it with your cell phone just so we can watch!
Right? Especially the professional clown part.

I'll see what I can do for ya'll to see it.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
You won $16K on The Price Is Right?! ZOMG.

#winning #hero4life
#itdidntlastlong

I was 20 years old...20 year olds don't save money or invest.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
that is epic. the fact that it was aired during that moment in history. 16k is awesome too!!
It's definitely a cool story for the grandkids.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:59 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've met a few country singers at concert meet and greets. I've met some of the Harlem Globetrotters too. My husband's family was close friends with a professional ball player that was pretty popular. I can't remember his last name now. Shaun Hill that played for the Minnesota Vikings (someone said he plays for the Rams now?) graduated from high school here. Every year he hosts a football camp for the kids. I met him there when he was telling my kid not to jump from the back of the bleachers. LOL I have met a few olympic medalists and the lady who wrote the theme song for A Different World. I've met a few authors. Nothing too exciting.
Old 09-30-2015, 08:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When we lived in South Korea in the late 80s we met the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders and Sawyer Brown (this was after SB was on Star Search).

I am related to the sadly departed country singer Conway Twitty (real name Harold Jenkins-cousin).
Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

DH's cousin was the original drummer for Imagine Dragons. He left last year, I think, to start up a new band, A Moth to the Flame. We still see older pics and I just shake my head. I didn't know that while he was in Imagine Dragons...dang it. My DH's brother was part of a show in Vegas so he met a lot of celebrities.

I've only met/seen some basketball players from the Utah Jazz. I've met some general authorities of my church too but I don't think anyone would know them lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2015, 09:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

I went to school with LeBron James. Grew up with him, almost dated him.

My brother is really good friends with Devin Smith (he's a WR from OSU who signed with the Jets this year)

I've met quite a few Nascar drivers over the years as well.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:04 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My ex-husband works in the music industry, so I have met a number of people. I am not one to get star stuck though. The local morning news lady works out at my gym, it's weird when she's in a class with me cause I watch her every morning. lol
Old 10-01-2015, 01:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by britaneejean View Post
DH's cousin was the original drummer for Imagine Dragons. He left last year, I think, to start up a new band, A Moth to the Flame. We still see older pics and I just shake my head. I didn't know that while he was in Imagine Dragons...dang it. My DH's brother was part of a show in Vegas so he met a lot of celebrities.

I've only met/seen some basketball players from the Utah Jazz. I've met some general authorities of my church too but I don't think anyone would know them lol.

SO jealous! Imagine Dragons is one of my favorite bands!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't met too many celebrities but when I worked for Pizza Hut in their national call centre I would often take orders from well known sports people, broadcasters and members of parliament.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020X using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Last edited by littlekiwi; 10-01-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:51 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, quite a few actually. We have a couple places here in Maine where celebs like to come for the summer (Bar Harbor, Northeast Harbor, and various islands off the coast) and I worked as a waitress at an upscale restaurant in NE Harbor through high school and college. Where I currently live is home to Stephen King and I've met him multiple times. Also, my hometown is where Kurt Russell's family is from - his grandmother still lived there when she died not too many years ago. So of the ones I can remember:

Kurt Russell, Goldie Hawn, Mel Gibson, Steven Seagal, John Travolta and Kelly Preston, Kirstie Alley, Susan Sarandon, Billy Joel and Christie Brinkley, Sandra Bullock and Jason Patric, Bryant Gumbel, Patrick Dempsey (he's from Maine too), Brian Wilson and Mike Love (Beach Boys), Josh Turner, Martha Stewart, Genie Francis (Laura on GH), Judd Nelson, Don McLean (singer of American Pie).
Old 10-01-2015, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - Celebrity Encounters - 09.30.15

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Holly** View Post
SO jealous! Imagine Dragons is one of my favorite bands!

Haha I know, I love them too!! Brian told me and I was so bugged that i had never connected it before. Now he's always gone with his new group and we never see him.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

During my college days, my classmates and I need to interview celebrities who made their way into politics for our thesis. Like I have to tell myself over and over not to zone out while interviewing them. But it still happened when I had to interview this male actor-politician who was like 10 years older than me. I stuttered and forgot my questions even though I had them written on paper. He was very kind to tell us his story of how he started to feel the need to help and answer our questions while reading them himself. Man that was really embarrassing! Lol!