Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-15-2015, 01:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - Food Fail - 11.15.15

What was your worst/funniest/most memorable food flop? Does it still get talked abt amongst your family or friends?

One time, I wanted to make a peppermint chocolate cake for Christmas with my folks. I did not chop the candy canes finely enough, however, so there were big crunchy chunks in the cake. I think I was the only person to finish her piece!
Old 11-15-2015, 01:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

hmmmm... i've made a lot of fails. I'm not very good in the kitchen. I know there are probably things I've done WAY worse but the one that sticks out in my mind is when I made hummus for the first time I made a mistake by thinking a clove of garlic was the entire head. The recipe called for 3 cloves of garlic...... needless to say I had to throw the entire batch of hummus into the trash can.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:57 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

In my 20's I made some scrambled egg for lunch. Decided to add lib a few ingredients for taste. Found out that worcestersire sauce just makes egg go brown and NOT very attractive. Had to throw it out. Family still tell the story at get-togethers.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My first summer on my own right out of high school I made enchiladas for me and my roommates - it called for chipotle in adobo but didn't say how much so I added the whole can - we all took one bite and were crying and looking for milk to stop the burning! Yeah, it still gets talked about now and again when I happen to be with one of them
Old 11-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Let's just say that it took me a long time to figure out Thanksgiving day cooking.
My parents always come to visit us during Thanksgiving and I was all excited to make them a traditional Thanksgiving dinner the first year we were married. That year I didn't realize that the "giblets" were stuffed inside of the turkey so I cooked it with them in the waxed paper bag inside the turkey. Luckily we had hotdogs in the fridge that year. Fast forward seven years and my parents and my grandmother came to visit us for Thanksgiving and again I tried to make it all perfect in our tiny little kitchen. It also happened to be the same day that I found out I was pregnant with our first son. I had been feeling sick all week and my mom finally asked if there was any way I could be pregnant so my dad and husband ran out to the drug store to get a pregnancy test and it turned out YEP I was pregnant! Well anyways, that year the green bean casserole finished in the oven before I was ready for it and we stuck it in the microwave to keep warm and then next day when my mom went to heat some water for coffee she found the green bean casserole in there!! We all got a good laugh and always make some mention of it when the green beans hit the table about how we are lucky they aren't still in the microwave!!
Old 11-15-2015, 05:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The first year I dated my husband I tried to make fried pork chops....no flour and not hot enough oil made for some yucky chops....hubby still talks about it every now and then, but I'd rather forget. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Old 11-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When I was in university, my friend and I tried making pan-fried jerk pork chops. We didn't know how much jerk sauce to use, so we dumped the entire bottle into the frying pan. It didn't take long for our eyes to start burning and watering! Then the people in the common area off the kitchen felt it... and even the people just getting off the elevator! LOL, I didn't attempt jerk anything for a long time after that!!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You know...this is going to sound so lame, but I cannot think of any ruined meals. I asked the family too and no one can think of anything. I have definitely made things no one liked....but nothing memorable I guess lol
Old 11-15-2015, 08:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbella77 View Post
You know...this is going to sound so lame, but I cannot think of any ruined meals. I asked the family too and no one can think of anything. I have definitely made things no one liked....but nothing memorable I guess lol
I'm lame like that, too. My kids are picky so most new recipes get a thumbs down, but there's no story or fail on my part. But...I've got to admit that I rarely try new recipes, never try anything too complicated, and have a tendency to research everything. I never make something new without reading tons of comments and tips.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am a perfectionist, so I am always trying so hard to not make a mistake... my family doesn't let go of even the tiniest error and I hate being teased so there's your reason why. Anyway, one year I made Chocolate Peppermint Mooseballs (chocolate cookie with mint icing in center with a dot of icing on top).... anyway, the recipe was smudged and I couldn't make out the amount of salt it needed... I know most cookie recipes are 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon (we always make double batches at a time) so I made an educated guess..... and well, guessed wrong.... so I had extra Salty Mooseballs. :P Never gonna live it down.... but at least now everyone is too scared to try them when I make them so I don't have to share.... sure I'll keep all the homemade, what tastes like girl guide cookies to myself..... thanks
Old 11-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have another memorable one... I made perogies for a quick dinner one night. Nothing fancy - just boiled store-bought frozen perogies and then pan-fried to crisp up the outsides, and topped with sauteed bacon and onion.

Well, I had bought a different brand of perogies to try - and didn't read the fine print where it said they were "dessert perogies stuffed with sweetened ricotta cheese". It was soooo disgusting with the sauteed bacon and onion!!! We ended up getting dinner out, haha!
Old 11-15-2015, 09:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't had too many food flops, at least not that I can think of. I'm a pretty decent cook and don't experiment a lot.

But- the funniest flop I can think of is when my mom was trying to make fudge one year. She was making a double batch of fudge using an old recipe and didn't read the recipe right and put twice as much milk in as you are supposed to. It never set up and made great ice cream topping but she has NEVER made fudge again after that incident, lol
Old 11-15-2015, 11:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Years ago we had a recipe for Cajun Chicken Alfredo that we LOVED. I made it all the time before my kids were born. My step-son loved it. When my kids were tiny I stopped making it because it was spicy and not something they could eat with us. - Fast forward several years and we started talking at dinner one night about how we used to love that. I couldn't find my original recipe so I looked up recipes online. I made one of them, following the recipe precisely. OMG. It was SO hot! I mean, it was beyond spicy. It was so hot that there was no real flavor to it, just HOT. My husband loves spicy foods and eats things several times hotter than I can handle but he couldn't take more than 2 bites of this. We pushed it aside and went out for dinner. The next day I made up TWO batches of plain alfredo sauce and mixed it in with the hot stuff. After that it was STILL spicy, but bearable. My husband still tells people about the time I tried to kill him with chicken alfredo!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:04 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

One that I remember myself is when I try making a tiramisu dessert, I was impatient and in a hurry, I put too much coffee and didn't whip the cream right, it ended up being very soggy and didn't look like tiramisu at all!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbella77 View Post
Me neither...I asked around.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

For some reason, I cannot make rice to save my life. I have ruined so many pots and pans and such making it, it's ridiculous. Now I just buy the steam in bag ones.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not that great a cook, or baker. But everyone always tells me I need to make and bake all my husband's fave stuff. I decided to make a pecan pie one year at Thanksgiving for him. Needless to say, it didn't come out and years later, my family (and husband) still bring up my pecan 'soup'
Old 11-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I asked my son and he said "I always like your dinners. Even when I tried pesto ravioli for the first time and I tried it and wasn't sure if I liked it, that's just because I didn't know it yet, but now I like it."

I do remember mis-measuring cocoa for a cake when I was younger, but I don't remember the outcome. And my first time making muffins I didn't set a timer, so they were burnt, but I was like 5-7. Also, one year I asked my mom if I could really mix my cake by hand, and so I did it with my hands (not a whisk) hahaha!

I guess sometimes I don't cook the crust quite right when I BBQ pizza...but most mistakes I'm able to fix, or at least get by.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had my whole family coming in for Thanksgiving one year. On the night before, when everyone was arriving, I thought making a big pot of chile would be a great informal meal that people could just have any time they got in.

The recipe called for 2 CANNED chiles, but I put in 2 CANS OF chiles. Needless to say, it was a little bit too spicy.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a cook at all but my worst food fail was adding too much stock powder (with water) to the chicken legs I was cooking in the crockpot, boy was the stock salty so I learnt my lesson there for next time.

Other food fail was buying cheap sausages which ended up being super greasy when cooked so I threw most of them out.

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 11-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, you guys, I have so many food fails I don't know which one to share. My most embarrassing was when Joel & I were dating, and I cooked mashed potatoes, but I put so much milk in them that they were like mashed potato soup. We still talk about those mashed potatoes and how thankful LI was he didn't ditch me then & there because TRUST ME it was a sign of things to come.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

When I was dating my 1st husband, I made a pan of biscuits. They were hard as rocks! He told me to keep making them that way and we would have enough to build a house. That was my first time making biscuits. My Mom finally taught me how to make them.