Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2015, 12:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - Dogs or Cats? - 11.18.15

People usually seem to be hardcore one or the other so what are you: a cat person or a dog person?

We are definitely dog people around here. DH & I are both allergic to cats, but we also just like dogs better. DH had to put his 14 1/2 year old dog down this past summer so he's not ready for another dog yet, but we will be getting another one (my choice of dog this time -- woohoo!) in the next year or two.

This makes my daughter very very sad as cats are, like, her favorite animal ever. I've told her that she can have as many cats as she wants once she's a grownup and doesn't live with us anymore, but she says she's not going to because she wants us to be able to come over to her house to visit.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I like both, and had both when I was growing up, plus a menagerie of other animals.

Now we only have cats (x2) - my boys both love cats. I'd like to have a dog, especially to take walking with me, but the cats would completely freak out about having a dog in the household!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:21 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I love dogs and don't like cats.
I want to have a dog, but hubby is so not a pet-person and his parents are terrified of dogs, so, we can't have any
Old 11-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I really love both but right now we have 2 cats. Our last dog was a white German Shepherd and we had to put her down several years ago. Due to moving and renting before we found our current home we didn't get another dog and now with the 2 cats being older I'm holding off for a bit and also because we aren't home a lot of the time and that's not fair to a dog, IMO. I am actually allergic to some dogs - the shorter the hair the more allergic (it's the dander and not the hair). As long as I stick with shepherds, Newfies, Goldens, husky etc. I'm fine. Labs do me in and so do Great Danes - like I can only be around them or in a house that owns them for about 10 minutes before I can't breathe at all.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

we have both. A year ago I would've undoubtedly said "dog," but I gotta be honest, I almost like our cat more than our dog. :blush:

Old 11-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I grew up with both dogs and cats and love them both. As an adult, I've only had cats though because of our busy lives, it just wouldn't be fair for a dog. But, my cat right now is more dog-like than cat! He comes when you call, he waits outside doors for us and is excited to see us, he likes lots of snuggles and pats. Even my husband has said he never expected man's best friend to be a cat, but he is!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love all animals but my first choice is always dogs. I have an extremely soft spot for them.
--
Mama to Albert
Old 11-18-2015, 09:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We have one of each. My kitty is on my lap as a type this. She's seriously becoming so much more loving. She didn't have such a great start to life.

Our dog is a pit. She's a total sweetheart but still doesn't realize how large she is. It kind of gets her in trouble. LOL! She's five years old and still acts like a puppy. She has so much energy!

Old 11-18-2015, 10:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a big time dog lover. I'm allergic to cats and I don't mind .
Old 11-18-2015, 11:35 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Dog, definitely dog. But I haven't had a dog since my last one passed away when I was 17 and it really broke my heart.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always considered myself a cat person.... Always had a cat around. I love the snuggles, and size, playfulness. Right now I wish I had a cat to help take care of a mice problem! However, 2 years ago I caved and alliwed my hubby and kuds get a dog and well.... He's my baby and they all need to back off and get their own! LoL sometimes i think he thinks he's a cat with how much he tries to snuggle, i love having a walking buddy (i hate to walk alone, but dont like trying to walk and hold a conversation with another person lol). So for now, i will say both, but am more of a dog person at the moment. ����
Old 11-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Dog! We got our dog last february and it was the best decision ever!

We had cats years ago - one was super lovey and she was the sweetest thing <3
Old 11-18-2015, 12:04 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I grew up with both and I still love both cats and dogs. But since I live in an apartment with no room for a dog, I have 2 cats. They are both very sweet and cuddly, so right now I'm crazy cat lady. But one who is also very fond of dogs... and rabbits, rats, pretty much every animal really. Just not birds, I hate birds.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:25 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I have come to realize that I'm a cat person... but I can't have cats because I have asthma and I am deathly allergic to them.

I used to think I was a dog person. UNTIL we got a puppy last spring (and gave it back 10 days later). Oh my gosh, that dog was so high maintenance that I seriously resented it. I am not the type of person that wants to be BFF's with my pets.

Right now we have fish and a parakeet who is friendly and likes to be held (he also talks) but he is fine hanging out in his cage if I am not in the mood. Animals that need constant attention are just not for me. At least at this phase of my life.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I love both, but after we lost both our dog and cat in the same year, a few years back, we haven't replaced either one. At the moment, we're away a lot of the time, so I foster cats for the SPCA when we're in town.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:58 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Neither. I'm anti-pet in general. But, if I absolutely HAD to have a pet, I would get a dog over a cat.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love cats!! I don't mind dogs either, but if they are big and slobber on your face, then I'm out LOL. I had lots of cats as a child, and I just have very fond memories of them. My husband doesn't want any pets though, so me and the kids have to suffer without, boo.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

We love and have both.

Right now we've got Bear, a 13 yr old golden retriever/chow mix. He's hanging in there, but I don't think he'll be with us much longer We have promised Rachel that once he is gone, we will rescue another dog...she has her heart set on a German Shepherd puppy. I want a pittie. We might wind up with both.

We've also got 2 cats, 15 and 16 years old. We had to put our 20-something year old cat down in September when she developed a rapidly growing tumor on her nose. Not sure if we'll have more cats...I love them, but I'm kind of tired of being the only one who will clean the litter box. But we'll see.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cats.
Seriously.
Hello!
Old 11-18-2015, 05:40 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoddess View Post
Cats.
Seriously.
Hello!
I'm SHOCKED
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm a dog person. I'm allergic to cats so I just try to steer clear of them. My last dog passed away 5 years ago, she was a beagle and such a sweet girl.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:04 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

My family had dogs when I was a kid-and I loved them so much. About 10 years ago a stray cat showed up at our door and I felt so sorry for him that I let him stay. He was the best possible ambassador for how wonderful a cat could be! Such a sweetie! Since then we have adopted 3 other strays who complete our cat family. They each have unique purrsonalities. I joke that I am a stay-at-home cat caretaker! >^.^<
Old 11-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love animals in general.

Right now we have 2 dogs, 3 cats (one was adopted on the 7th, so still very new to our home and rather young) and 3 rabbits.

I go in spurts which I enjoy more. The dogs are great to go on walks with, but they get really demanding and don't understand when I don't want to go on a walk that day. The cats are just so easy to care for and adding an extra to the house is barely on our radar because of how easy they are. The rabbits are pretty darn sweet and fun to watch but are definitely the most work of our animals and probably give us the least enjoyment over all, only because they spend more time in their cage than I would like.

My husband used to say that he hates cats. When we first moved in together he said he would NEVER have a cat. There was a cat that had been left behind by the people who lived in the house before us. Every time we'd open the door she would try to come in. Not 2 weeks later I came home to find the cat in the house. I grabbed her to boost her back outside and he said, lazily from the couch where he was laying and watching the scene, don't bother. Her name is Puddin' and she can stay. LOL Puddin' was pregnant, though we didn't know it, and we kept one of the kittens from the litter. Since then we have always had at least 2 cats in the house, sometimes as many as 4. We have always had at least one dog, usually 2, but no more than 2. Two dogs are more work than 4 cats, by far.

Right now I'm just super thankful for my cats. We adopted the kitten and our 6 year old male cat disappeared. He finally came home after 10 days. He was mad at us. :/

I had every sort of animal as a kid. That probably plays into my love of them.

Our family does have allergies to cats. We just take meds. The cats bring us more enjoyment than the allergies bring us misery.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - Dogs or Cats? - 11.18.15

Our neighbor has cats and I couldn't do it. We take care of them when they're on vacation and it's enough for me.

I think a dog would be fun but it's not easy in a condo. I told my husband we'd get one when we have a fenced in backyard and the girls can clean up after him ha! I'd like a small one but he wants a big one. He grew up with dogs but I never had a pet. It'd be a huge transition.

I do have to say though, both seem fiercely loyal and I love that! I love seeing people treat their pets like family members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

So I know this is not a popular opinion, but I am not a pet person. They are cute to look at, but that's about all for me. My son loves cats and dogs, but he's allergic to cats and I cannot commit to taking care of a dog.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think I'm a pet person. Growing up, I only had fish and DH didn't have any pets. Once when I was little and begging for a dog, my father said that I had a younger brother. At the time that seemed like a terrible answer, but now...I get it. If not for DH's allergies I might have agreed to a cat, but I don't ever want a dog.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:14 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Neither. I'm not an animal person.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:46 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I didn't have any pets growing up.

We adopted a cat in August and he's the sweetest thing ever. I can't imagine life without him anymore.
I love both cats and dogs, but I think I'm more a cat person.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

love cats and love watching them to play they are so fun but i am also afraid of them lol we never know what they will do! haha
I looove dogs and i have 3 little ones who are a total mess in my house!! ❤

Enviado de meu GT-I9192 usando Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2015, 10:28 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

total dog person... cats are okay, but give me the unconditional love of a big ol' slobbery dog any day!
Old 11-19-2015, 11:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a cat and a dog... but it's obvious I'm a dog person.

We had to put our Bullmastiff to sleep last January. I still miss him so much and am seriously tearing up thinking about him... But our little Milo fits in perfectly to our family and makes Colby and I seriously happy. I would totally get another dog, but my husband insists that two animals should be our max.

Our cat is okay. She has her place... After she passes away, I will probably never have another cat though...
Old 11-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
total dog person... cats are okay, but give me the unconditional love of a big ol' slobbery dog any day!
oh yes i forgot mentioning that! unconditional love! ❤

Enviado de meu GT-I9192 usando Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Both when i grew up.
now im a catpeople.
have 3, goofy is 5,5.
puk is 3
guus is 1,5
Old 11-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
we have both. A year ago I would've undoubtedly said "dog," but I gotta be honest, I almost like our cat more than our dog. :blush:
This is me. Except now I will openly admit that I love our cats the most.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have 2 doxies so I'm a dog person. Cats are evil!