Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 02-09-2020, 12:53 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default February 17th - Random Act of Kindness

Hello Sweet Shoppers! I hope you're having fun playing along with our Party-Game-a-Day challenges.

Today is Random Act of Kindness Day and I can't think of a better thing to talk about than being kind to others. Let's all join the #RAKtivist movement!

I have been on the receiving end of a number of RAKs, usually involving someone in line paying for my coffee or something similar. I have also tried to pay it forward whenever that's happened to me. The most memorable perhaps was a time I was in a restaurant with my youngest and we were talking and laughing and generally being silly (she was probably 4 or 5 at the time.) When I asked for my bill the waitress told me that it had already been paid. Apparently the person had really enjoyed our interactions and was impressed with Sarah's behaviour in general, and so bought our lunch! I'm not sure which pleased me more... the fact that someone bought our lunch, or the warm praise for my daughter!

So what about you? I want to hear about a time that you received and/or gave a RAK (or both!)

Everyone who replies to this thread by 11:59pm Eastern on February 19th will get a PM with a download link to today's piece of One 4 the Books!

For this challenge you'll earn my part of One 4 the Books:

Remember you can receive a new piece of the collection for participating in each day's challenge, and if you complete all 29 challenges, you can enter to win a $100 gift certificate to The Shoppe too! You'll need to claim a spot in the master tracking thread here to be eligible for the grand prize. Then just update your post in the tracker thread to include a link to your posts in all 29 games and challenges by March 2nd at Midnight EST.

Last edited by Ponytails; 02-09-2020 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:04 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

A simple one, that is always nice, which I try to do in return, is when I am at the grocery store and only have one or two items to purchase and the person in front of me has a full cart and they acknowledge the difference and offer to let me go in front of them. I always try to do the same when I am the one with the full cart.

A Valentine's story: A few years ago, we were surprised to find a neighbor family had given us a "Heart Attack". It was such a fun surprise as we had never had one before. This year, we did a heart attack to 6 different families. My kids had so much fun cutting out paper hearts. We made heart shaped sugar cookies and then snuck to each home and stuck the hearts to the front doors and left a plate of cookies letting them know they had received a "Heart Attack" The kids were so sad when we were all done. They had so much fun sneaking and leaving a fun surprise at each door.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love the coffee line pay it forward! This winter I paid for the plow truck drivers coffee who was right behind me... it was a stormy weekend & I thought he could use some cheer!

Not necessarily RAK- but I always preach to my kids to leave somewhere better than you arrived- which means we pick up a lot of trash usually- especially at all the hockey arenas we've been at lately. I just dont understand why people leave their empty coffee cups & trash in rinks that are ran by 100% volunteers! So lazy.... off my soapbox now! Lol!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:55 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I won a large amount of money for a series of challenges I did at a scrapping site and shared
$5 GC's to some of the other people who played along but didn't win anything. I've also been on the receiving end
of Rak's like this. Once a designer Rak'd me a kit because she liked my layouts. It gave me such a warm feeling.

Last edited by seniorgal; 02-17-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:00 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

So many people that I do not know have been so kind to me. Someone paid for me to attend Hebrew School for ten years because my parents couldn’t afford it. Others have offered me a seat when a room was full because I have difficulty standing for very long but don’t really want to use a wheelchair again....I just lean against a wall for as long as I can.

I have taught my children and grands that the best RAK are those that only they and G-d know about. It brings such joy to our hearts when we donate anonymously to a charity, a Go Fund Me or help clean up at a program we have attended rather than leave everything for the those who planned the event.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The most frequent RAK that I do is picking up something for others in the office while out at the store. Our dispatchers don't leave the office once they are there for their 10 hour shift. So if I'm heading to the store I always offer to pick them up a drink or snack, just as a little way of saying thanks for being such a great part of my team.

My favorite RAK that I've been a part of. I had my 2 youngest at the grocery store and the elderly lady in front of us was in a wheelchair, she still needed to bag her groceries; my daughter asked me if it would be okay if she offered to help her. I encouraged her to do what her heart was telling her. So she offered, and although the lady declined, it was one of the best mommy moments ever.

My kids can be such little buggers to each other and often to me, but this just affirmed that I'm at least doing something right.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:17 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately I have not been able to report on large RAKs lately. For me it is important to treat each other politely and respectfully.
I keep the door open, I always tip, I give sincere compliments to build someone up or to cheer them up, in the hospital I hugged a stranger because she needed it, I ask if anyone needs help, I smile at people, I donate to children's organizations, I am a member of the German Bone Marrow Donor File (DKMS), I let someone go in front of me in line.....
Old 02-17-2020, 01:18 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't really like to tak about the raks I've done to others. I'm not saying I can't count it anymore, maybe I can't maybe I still can. But whenever I do a rak, I love to explain to my daughter why I/we're doing it. There's this one time in summer when the two of us rode our bikes going to Rita's and while we were waiting in line, there's this woman who was in a hurry because she just left her daughter in the car paked (not 15 stemps away, you know how Rita's parkings are), with the music on, window opened with their dog and the kid was crying. So I told her to go on first because we're not in a hurry. And she gave us her change after that. My almost 8 year old then asked why I let her go in line first and I explained about her toddler getting impatient because of the heat or maybe he was wet, and she asked why she gave us her change and I told her that it was her way of thanking us, and why I left a ten dollar bill at Rita's and I told her that it's for whoever needed to cool down at that hot summer. It was a learning curve for both of us. That if you have anything or have more than enough, sharing is the best thing to do, paying it forward is a great thing to do.

I am thankful for my mother who taught us that there are people needing help more than I do, and that's what I want my kid/s to remember. But you know what the best rak for me is? It's being kind to everyone you meet, because all of us are tying our best to live in this circle called life.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:30 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

So on Friday my daughter and her friends were wanting to do a GALentines Day photoshoot with me. So I picked them all up and we went to the train station and did their shoot. We were wanting to go to lunch afterwards and when we got to the restaurant I realized that I had forgotten my purse at home. I always leave it in the car when I park in the garage so when we left I didn't even check to see if it was in the back seat. So my daughters best friends paid for our lunch. It was such a sweet gesture and I was so grateful.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:31 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

The most recent act of kindness I did was send a Christmas card to a stranger. It was a lady who was dying of cancer and she wanted cards from around the world since she couldn't travel.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My memory for specific little random moments like this stinks--that's why I scrapbook! I'm sure there are a hundred moments like this a year, but I forget them easily.

Nicest RAK I can think of right now was when we were on vacation at Disney World in 2018. Ben, who was 12 at the time, has a motor planning disorder along with his other special needs. Because of it he can't adjust his body fast enough to compensate for the movement of a bus, so he needs to sit when in any kind of motor vehicle. We were riding a relatively crowded bus, and there was no seat available for him. I had him leaning against a wall and was using my arms and body to help hold him steady. There were a lot of able bodied adults in the seats nearby, but no one offered him a seat. (He doesn't have visible special needs, at least not unless you know what facial features to look for beyond those that people with Down's Syndrome share--if you hear him talk you know immediately, but it's something a casual observer could miss.) Anyway, two of the people sitting near us were an adult woman with special needs and her mother. The woman with special needs is the one who noticed Ben struggling, talked to us for a couple of minutes, and then offered him her seat. It was so sweet that she, another person who probably needed the seat, was the one thoughtful enough to offer hers!

As far as acts of kindness that I've done for others, I think most of them are small moments that don't make good stories! I come into contact with a lot of parents of young kids through work. Some of them really need someone to talk with or vent to, and I'm a good listener. Sometimes I can offer suggestions or reassurance and other times only an ear, but I know it still means a lot to some of the parents to be heard.

Last edited by rach3975; 02-17-2020 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I am an organ donor, one day I think that will be the greatest RAK ever to someone.
After I had a near fatal life event and was hospitalized for months, another girl guide parent we hadn't known till then made sure my daughter was driven to and from girl guides every week, every trip, every camp. Then organized meals for the family for months. I have never forgotten that kindness of a complete stranger.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:50 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

We were travelling home after New Year's and stopped in at Starbucks for a morning pick-me-up. When we went to pay, the cashier told us it had already been taken care of for us. What a nice way to start our day!

I try to do little things for people, like holding the doors, making sure to help someone who is in need, generally being kind. I also like to give gift cards for a latte or a fast food place to people who look like they're having a rough day. We've also made goodie bags for homeless people in our town with a few snacks, some personal hygiene items and $5.

I know how much we appreciate it when people offer a kindness, so I'm glad when we're able to do the same. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:58 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayna View Post

I have taught my children and grands that the best RAK are those that only they and G-d know about. It brings such joy to our hearts when we donate anonymously to a charity, a Go Fund Me or help clean up at a program we have attended rather than leave everything for the those who planned the event.

Yes Shayne! This!!
And honestly it’s hard for me to think of a specific RAK because I find the joy is in doing something without the recognition.
One interesting pay it forward memory though:
during our wedding planning our pastor said he did not charge for officiating. My husband (to-be, at the time) and I decided that we would still write a check to our pastor for his services. A few weeks later we received a thank you card from the pastor with an explanation that the same week he received our check he had received a benevolence request from a family in need for exactly the amount. Maybe not totally random act of kindness but a pay it forward experience I’ve always remembered.

I enjoy the coffee shop pay it forwards, have offered my spot in line, picked up litter and other miscellaneous things but feel those are also trademarks of being a good human too.

Our family has been the recipients of RAK when going through several occasions of hard times (NICU stays & deaths in the family). One most meaningful time was a family from my moms office provided a meal for us and took the time to include a special “kids dinner” for our toddler at the time son. That’s stayed with me as an extra special gift of kindness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2020, 02:34 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

We were at the shops the other day and an older gentleman a few aisles over dropped some money on the floor. My master 10 ran over, picked it up said "excuse me sir you dropped some money, don't worry I picked it up for you." He handed it over and said "there you go" and ran off without waiting to hear the mans reply. He then came back and apologized to me for running off because "the old man dropped his money so I picked it up and I didn't tell you where I was going because I didn't want someone else to pick it up in case they steal it so I had to be quick!"
Old 02-17-2020, 02:58 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

The greatest act of kindness ever shown to me was years ago when I was pregnant with Max & Jack was 2. Joel, my husband, had knee surgery on another island, so I flew to that island, took a bus across the border to Singapore for my visa, and then took a bus back to Malaysia to help Joel recover from surgery. The bus ride involved getting off and back on with all my bags AND my crying 2 year old four times to pass through immigration. A complete stranger made it his personal mission to carry my bags for me every time; he held Jack while I filled out the forms, and he gave me money for a taxi (I didn't have Singaporian dollars). He even came by my hotel later to check on me. : ) It was the nicest and most selfless thing I've ever experienced.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

At a previous base, I was involved in the spouse's club which was a social group but also philanthropic organization. We had lots of fun nights out & themed events, but one of our best socials was our RAK night...money from our fundraisers & budget went toward gas & commissary gift cards & we spent the evening with half of us filling gas tanks & half of us paying for people's groceries. Everyone was happily surprised, some people were impacted more than we know, and others refused to let us pay & then donated another gift card so we could 'treat' even more people.

A couple times, I've had my kids ask the check-out person at the grocery store or Target what their favorite candy bar is. If it's in the 'impulse line', we throw it on the belt & pass it to the cashier.

Someone overheard my husband showing his ID for the military discount at the Waffle House and bought our breakfast. We felt pretty bad, actually, because we had eaten like pigs that morning But the next time we went out to eat, we saw an older vet & his wife and asked the waitress to bring us their bill along with ours.

Oh my goodness, but the nicest unexpected kindness ever (does it count as random if it's done by a friend??) was the night my friend came over to hang out & folded my laundry. My husband was deployed. We were stationed overseas. My son was probably 14 months old and a horrible, horrible sleeper. My friend came over to play cards & snack & chat after our babies were in bed. She'd probably been there about 10 minutes when my son woke up screaming. I went to settle him & when I came back down, she had conquered about half of my laundry mountain! I cried...I still consider this the greatest gesture of friendship I've ever received!!! (Especially considering that she also had 2 of her own kids under 3 and plenty of laundry to fold at home!)

Guest for LJS Designs- Feb/Mar/Apr 2020

Last edited by knittingbec; 02-17-2020 at 03:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:08 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Like quite a few other people here I have a shocking memory for specific examples but I do remember a while back when my sister and I were out shopping (it might have been Christmas). A lady was looking frantically for her lost child in the (very large, very busy) shopping centre. We asked if we could help and then when we didn't know any other way to assist (since we didn't know what the child looked like) we tentatively asked if we could watch her baby in the pram and her shopping while she went off to look for the lost child. The poor lady was so distressed she almost cried with relief and ran off, leaving us with her very young baby! I'm not sure I could have accepted that help myself but it was the least we could do... thankfully she returned a few minutes later with her toddler in tow.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:17 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Like Alicia said - I am also a registered organ donor. I never thought about it from a random act of kindness point of view before but it really is the biggest gift I could give to strangers. Donation numbers are not what they should be in Canada so I also try to promote awareness.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:36 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I always let people go ahead of me in line at the grocery store--no sense in making someone with a few items wait behind my mile-long pile-up of stuff!

We were at a restaurant one night with our son, who was quite young at the time. I don't remember very well all the circumstances--it was probably just an average night out, but someone picked up our tab, and I remember feeling so grateful and loved.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to lorigaud

I have been blessed to be the recipient of many acts of kindness...mainly by family and friends, so not completely random lol. Right now, in fact, I am visiting my college friend and her husband in Florida - they got me a ticket using their airline miles and even made it a first class ticket to surprise me. <3 They have been amazing friends.... a few years back when they were visiting me in Maine, they noticed that my house needed a "bit" of work (this was about a year after my divorce) and about a month later, they came back with a crew of people and equipment to spend 3 days getting as much work done as they could. They didn't charge me a dime... and they bought a lot of supplies, including a new back door. It was amazing, and I will never forget their generosity. Prior to that visit, I hadn't seen them in probably 15 years.

I am an organ donor, so there's that. I also like to think that I am a kind person, doing small things daily to share a little happiness with others. Yesterday, for example, my friend and I were walking back from seeing the sunset on the beach, and I complimented a random woman on her shirt. I like to do things like that - I feel like people are so busy that we don't take time to "see" other people often enough...we're just in a hurry to get from one place to another. I also like to hold the door for people, stop to allow another driver to make a turn when they are stuck in a long line of traffic, etc. It's the little things.

Old 02-17-2020, 05:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love this thread!!!!!!

I've been the receiver and giver, for lots of RAks like letting people go before me (and vice versa), paying for the person behind me (and vice versa) etc.....

One that sticks out in my mind right now at 5am (lol) is one day I was in line at Dollar tree and this guy behind me just kinda barges through and before I had time to get mad he gave the cashier $20 to pay for our things and then handed me $20 more and ran out the door. Of course Dollar Tree isn't expensive so I ended up with cash in hand. My kids were in shock and I was too.

Current Creative Teams:
Southern Serenity & Studio Flergs
WendyP CT Guest Oct/Nov 2019 ~ KCB CT Guest May/June 2020
DSI CT Guest Jul/Aug/Sept 2020 ~ LJS CT Guest Nov/Dec 2020 Jan 2021
Old 02-17-2020, 06:27 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Such a touching thread to read through this morning!

An "obvious" time that I was the recipient of a random act of kindness was when I was in the drive through line at Chick-fil-A. When I got to the window to pay (this was years before they became known for the employees being outside taking your orders and payment lol) I was told that the person in front of me had already paid for my order. I was shocked! My order included 3 meals! So, I went ahead and paid for the order behind mine. My boys were all questions after that! lol

Something else just came to mind that makes me smile but a tiny bit sad. My in-laws both passed away this past year. They were in their mid 80s. We took them out to eat every Saturday evening for about 5 years. One frequent place we went was a local restaurant that served "home cooked" meals. You know, meat and two veggies type of food. Out front were two rocking chairs. My youngest son (who is 9 now) and I always finished eating ahead of the rest of our family. So, we would go sit in the rockers for about 10 minutes until they all came out. This restaurant had many elderly people come to eat there. My son would pop up every time people would walk up and he would hold the door open for them. Almost every person said such kind things to him about being such a "nice gentleman." One man gave him a silver dollar. My son didn't know what to do. lol I said, "Just tell the man thank you. He knows you weren't doing it to get paid"
Old 02-17-2020, 06:33 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm
Default Random Act of Kindness

I loved reading everyone's stories. What a nice challenge.

I too am an organ donor, I try to be the considerate person in line to let others go in front with fewer items and I have paid for a meal or a coffee for a stranger.

I lost a dear friend very suddenly. For months I felt guilty that I didn't call or send her a card more often. That was the year I started sending a random card to friends and family. No special reason; just to say hello and let them know I was thinking of them and praying for them. One friend had come home from a distressing doctors appointment to find my card in the mail. She told me knowing I was praying for her and her family gave her the drive to battle her diagnosis.

The best random act of kindness I know was done by my daughter. Driving back to college from work one afternoon she saw something in the road. She decided to turn around; it was a man's wallet. She looked for his address, then looking on her gps drove to his house. When she arrived he was frantically searching his truck. He was so grateful and surprised, but she wouldn't take any money for bringing it back with all his contents.

I pray that random acts of kindness become a way of life for more people in a our world.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:20 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm the manager of a convenience store in my neighborhood, so I've seen or heard LOL many times little children crying because their ice cream fall on the ground, or they didn't get the right color ball from the machine or just crying as they got a wrong genre toy in a chocolate, so I usually keep spare toys in my office that I have bought in case we have an "emergency" and I've told all the employees to give another ice cream in falling cases. Once a tween bought some m&m and I saw that while leaving she opened the bag and they all fall on the ground, I ran and handed her another bag for free and she was like totally amazed. Employees have also have spare lollipops in case of these emergencies LOL. And this might sound more business related but I've told them that if a costumer hasn't the total amount in cash to pay (usually kids) the may discount the difference.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:24 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What a fun challenge. I love reading everyone's story!

Old 02-17-2020, 07:42 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

This has been such a great thread to read through as I sip my morning coffee.

One of our favorite RAKs to do with our kids has been to go on a penny hunt in our house or in the car, and come up with whatever pennies we have on hand. (Usually it's around 50 cents). We go to Meijer, where they have a Penny horse that you can ride. When my kids were little, it was the highlight of their trip to the store, though frequently, I would forget to pack a penny. Usually the cashier would have an extra penny stashed in her pocket, and it was often the difference between a tantrum and a peaceful load-up.
We go and put all the pennies now on the base of the horse. If they need a ride, it's there for them!
I also like to save up my Starbucks points, and then use them on the people in line behind me. We're fortunate to be in a position to not need to worry about the cost of a coffee, so I like to donate the free ones we receive, and give a smile to someone instead!
As far as being on the receiving end, we've been so fortunate to be part of a school family who loves on my kids when I'm not there. One of my kids had just started taking a new medication for her ADHD, and I was so worried about how she was going to do at school, if she was going to eat enough, if it was working.... But throughout the day, I had different moms who sent messages saying that they had seen Georgia, and checked in on her and how she was doing so well, or had been so funny in the hall, or that she was smiling and chatting with friends. To them, they were just saying hi and passing on how sweet my kid was being, but to me, it was like a little lifeline until she got home from school.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:00 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The RAKs I always participate in when I see them on Facebook/Twitter is sending birthday/get well soon cards to people who might be lonely or sick. When it's for a sick child, I tend to do something extra like send a toy (if I know what they like) or a balloon, something like that. I know when I was in hospital for a long time, I loved getting letters/cards so I always respond to a request to cheer someone up with a card.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

What a great thread to wake up to! Such lovely thoughtful things!

I have done the random pay for someones groceries when they didn't have enough, or letting them go before me in line when I only have a few items.

We live near Philly, and the homeless population is growing, and I have always tried to teach my children to help those less fortunate than us. So a few years ago, I created home less bags. They are giant ziplock bags filled with food, water, snack, personal hygiene items, socks, gloves and hand sanitizer. I keep them in the car and we hand them out when ever we see someone in need.

When we were on vacation last year in Nashville, (we drive so I had a stash of them) we gave one to a gentleman on Christmas day and he was ever so grateful and thankful and told us no one has ever been so kind to him and that no one stopped to help him.

one RAK received was a few years ago... I do childcare from my home so I hard get to leave the house during the week. We ran out of coffee. My hubby usually grabs it from Wawa for me since he is there everyday... he forgot. I was soooo not looking forward to a day with out coffee and lots of littles. A friend of mine just happened to stop by and bring me a hot cup from Wawa! It was perfect!

Last edited by StacyLynn; 02-17-2020 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:18 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I've had done to me and done to others letting people with less go ahead in line at store, paying for someone food at a drive through, leaving people little prizes on their desk at work things like that. I would love to be able to do bigger things but money stops me from being able to do that. Still feels good when you do something for someone, even if its little.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:19 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Mine was at Christmas time a couple years ago. Money was tight and my brother and sister left a cute basket at our door without a name (I had to ask later if it might have been them) inside was treats, books, movies, and gift cards for the movies and the fun center here. I couldn't believe how much they spent on it and how thoughtful they were. They are such good people!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:27 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We donate lots of stuff! My sister and I were chatting last year about not being able to deduct many donations on your taxes any more. She told me about a woman who said to her, "Then I'll just throw away my stuff." Really? You'd rather take up space in a landfill than help someone in need? We are donating a ton (and by ton I mean my minivan is currently loaded to the hilt ready to drive two hours tomorrow for a drop off, and that's only about half the stuff)of toys and clothes that are in very good condition this year. I hope the majority of people continue to donate to charities even though it may not benefit them financially to do so.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:28 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Five years ago I was laid off. My hairstylist gave me a free haircut! The thing is that her husband and I worked together and were both laid off on the same day, so I appreciated it that much more.

As others have mentioned, I have often let people get in front of me in line at the grocery store if they have just a few items. I also help the office clerk at work by refilling the bins of Kcups and mini-moos, etc., when I don't have a "rush" deadline. She has a lot to do throughout the day, and even though I have to bill my time, I take just a minute to help her out.

This digi scrapbook world is full of RAKs with the generosity of designers like you, who give away not only mini kits but even full kits at times! Thank you so much!!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:29 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

What a wonderful challenge! The world definitely needs more kindness!!

After my mom passed away from cancer, I really struggled for a bit. One day during an especially hard time, someone paid for my morning McDonald's coffee - it brought me to tears and warmed my heart immensely. A few weeks later, I decided to pay for the person's order behind me in the McD's drive thru. I paid and pulled forward, waiting for my coffee … when I looked in my rear view mirror to see who I had RAK'd - it was my mom's hospice nurse, Joyce. She was beaming from ear to ear and of course, I was crying! I had NO idea it was her when I decided to pay! And, I'm sure it was no coincidence!!

A RAK from 1963 - When my sister wanted to go to college, Dad and Mom had to take out a loan for tuition. They went to the bank (we lived in a very small community - the nearest town had a population of 100!) to obtain a loan, signed all of the paperwork, etc etc. Every month Mom would go to the bank and make a payment. It was not until the loan was paid off that they found out that their loan application had been turned down. The president of the bank had paid for my sister's tuition and was paid back with each monthly payment. Unheard of today and probably not ethical - but back then things were so much different!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I give books i have read to other readers that don't have the money to buy books. Because i think reading books is entertaining and relaxing. I also always help older people if i see they need help.

I ones got some crossery i told the lady in front of me by the payment that some of her products where buy 1 get one free. See then grabbed them and gived her freeproducts to me. Se said i can see you need them and i can not eat it all on time
Old 02-17-2020, 08:42 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Just last night while we were waiting for our table to be ready at a local restaurant, we were sitting next to an older couple. I engaged them in conversation and we ended up exchanging corny jokes. No money exchanged hands or purchases made but the beaming smiles on their faces was satisfaction enough! They passed by our table after dinner as they were leaving and waved, still smiling - I knew they were still chuckling at our jokes
Old 02-17-2020, 08:45 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

This involves a RAK my family and I witnessed on the Metro Train in Washington DC last month.

We had traveled a few hours to Washington DC to attend the basketball game. We recently relocated and our Atlanta Hawks were in town to play the Washington Wizards. After the game, we were on a relatively crowded Metro train heading back to our car. My daughter and I were seated and my husband was standing near us. There was a man on the other side of my husband. I couldn't completely see the other man, as he was partially blocked by my husband. However, I could tell something wasn't completely right with him. To be honest, I though he was intoxicated. My husband was facing us and I motioned for him to move closer to us in case the man I thought was intoxicated threw up or something of that nature. At the next stop on the Metro, passengers exited the train and before the doors shut, the man beside my husband fell backwards. He was laying half on the train, half on the platform. It became clear very quickly that he was not intoxicated, but was dealing with some other sort of medical issue. Three male passengers assisted the man in getting up and into a seat while another passenger and I hit the emergency button to relay we had a passenger needing medical help and what car we were in. One of the male passengers who had assisted the man offered him a half drank bottle of water, which was gladly accepted. The passenger stayed with the man, who he never spoken to prior to coming to his aid. Several more stops passed by and emergency help did not come. We reached the man's stop and the passenger who had stayed with him got off at the stop with him. This wasn't that passenger's stop, he just wanted to make sure that the man got somewhere safe and got the medical assistance he needed. Though it was not a good situation, I was really encouraged by how the passengers on the train came together to help this stranger, especially the man who offered his water and got off at the wrong stop to help ensure the man was safe.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:57 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

RAK's, to me they mean being kind and considerate every day and not expect recognition for doing the little things. It's just second nature to hold a door for someone, to give up a seat, which I did recently for a severally handicapped person at a play. Their seats were way down many stairs and none of the handicapped places at the top were available. After a few minutes, I got up went to them and the ushers and told them our two seats were on the end of a row and there was no stairs needed to get there. They were so grateful and we ended up with better seats. I do believe God noticed and made sure our new seats fit us to a tee. He paid it forward for them. This story was one that I never expected to tell as I don't feel that anyone needs to know if I do something kind or thoughtful. Often times the simple gestures and acts of kindness are the best that we can give.
Being aware of our surroundings seems to be the way of life lately because of crime. It should also be the way of life for thinking outside our own needs and caring about others.
I have enjoyed reading all of the comments before mine and will be back to read those that come later. A million thanks to all that think of others before themselves.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The last RAK I can think of is helping a young mother get her large stroller through a door at a store that was not automatic. I remember those days of struggling with a stroller! I have already taken carts back after a mother with young kids was loading her groceries in her car so she didn't have to. It always amazes me that people will just walk by someone struggling with something like this that can they could easily take a moment out of their day to help. Something so small would mean the world to a young mother.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:17 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Jill's stories above give me CHILLS! So cool!!

I was at the ER a few weeks ago because of severe headaches. The next day a friend brought us dinner. She even remembered that I love green grapes and was trying to stay gluten free. It was so thoughtful!

Last edited by gingerbread; 02-17-2020 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It happened to me once. It was someone in the drive through at Starbucks that bought my drink. I was really surprised. I didn’t know it was a thing! A few weeks later I did the same for the next person in line in the drive through. Just such a pleasant surprise.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:18 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Wow, this thread is oozing love!!

I don’t talk about the RAK’s I do usually, as they are mostly small and just come naturally...things like holding the door, giving compliments to a stranger or letting someone cut in line.
The most recent one that comes to mind, I sent a card to a child at St. Judes for Valentine’s Day.
Once I had my coffee paid for by the person in front of me in line, and in return I left my full coffee card for the person behind me.

The most recent RAK that was given to me, was a designer gave me a bundle of a brand new product. Which was amazing! ❤️

Proud CT Member for PDW, Marie H Designs, FranB Designs, JB Studio
Old 02-17-2020, 09:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillW View Post
What a wonderful challenge!

A RAK from 1963 - When my sister wanted to go to college, Dad and Mom had to take out a loan for tuition. They went to the bank (we lived in a very small community - the nearest town had a population of 100!) to obtain a loan, signed all of the paperwork, etc etc. Every month Mom would go to the bank and make a payment. It was not until the loan was paid off that they found out that their loan application had been turned down. The president of the bank had paid for my sister's tuition and was paid back with each monthly payment. Unheard of today and probably not ethical - but back then things were so much different!
Wow!! Mind blowing! Such a kind person!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:30 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I have been a recipient of a huge RAK. Maybe not so random but just as surprising, overwhelming, and mood-boosting. I have been diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago. I went through a double mastectomy and several reconstruction surgeries. At the same time dealing with sudden onset of food allergies, a very limited special diet, double cooking, the agony of the illness, money troubles related to all the bills and stress at work (we have a small business and all the doctor's appointments were hard to deal with as we didn't have any employees at the time and had to somehow squeeze everything in)... and a broken dishwasher. 1-st world problem but for me at the time it was a major thing, having to wash dishes about an hour every day (cooking different meals for me and for the rest of the family made a double mess). I needed to rest and instead this huge pile of mess was always waiting for me. My girlfriends were trying to help out in so many ways. I truly didn't feel alone. And then one day I got a large sum of money they have collected among themselves and I was able to order a new dishwasher. I will never forget the emotions. The shock, surprise, disbelief (it was more money than I did need for just the dishwasher), relief, joy, thankfulness,... I have lost it. I have ordered the appliance next week and life has been so much simpler all of the sudden. One day we are going to move away from this house and I have to say it will be hard to leave this particular dishwasher behind. I think of my friends every time I load it.

What do I do for others? I have never paid for someone behind me in line or something like that. I try to be kind and helpful to others in general. I volunteer a lot, organize fundraisers for a nonprofit, donate smaller amounts of money to people around me with medical needs, try to support people around me when they go through hard times, try to teach our children the same...
Old 02-17-2020, 09:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I often give my used but good condition clothes to those in need.
I used to donate money, for example, when Notre Dame burned down, or when many animals died in the bush fire in Australia, I supported foundations that help.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Thinking about it I don't receive many RAK's lol.

Whenever I go into town I always make sure I talk to the homeless people that are there and buy them some food/drinks. One man used to have a dog so I used to try and take a little treat for him too
I also donate clothes/money to charities close to my heart and also blood too when they're running low for my group.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:54 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

@makeyesup (and others who have said the same), I could not agree more.
The one example that comes to mind is when I last travelled overseas by myself with our 3 and 5 year old. On our way back to the US, we stayed at an airport hotel as our flight for the US was very early in the morning. We had to get up early and get a shuttle bus from the hotel to the airport (about 20 min ride). The bus was packed with people. When we got to the airport, every one of them elbowed us to get out of the bus, they would have rather pushed my children out of the bus than help. I was struggling with trying to get off the bus safely with sleepy boys, their little carry ons and my own large suitcase, when thankfully one young man in one breath/move said "let me help you", and grabbed my heavy suitcase and took it down to the platform for me. I barely had time to say thank you that he was already gone. .
Old 02-17-2020, 10:03 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Last December on our way to Florida we broke down in WV. The van was drive-able but ready to quit at any moment. We praying to make it to the repair shop but was lost. We stopped for directions. The person we asked just got off the night shift. You could see he was tired, but he insisted we follow him to the repair shop in case we couldn't make it and needed help.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:26 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

What a great thread to read! I love reading these stories!

I like to surprise the person in the drive-thru line behind me at Starbucks or Dunkin on occasion and pay for their drink, especially on those fun Monday mornings starting work for the week.

A few years ago, Mom and I went to lunch at Chick-Fil-A and after we placed our order, the cashier told us to "enjoy our lunch, it was on her." Which caught us off guard and was such a nice surprise.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

After reading so many touching stories, mine's kind of a silly one. We sometimes go to Aldi to buy groceries. At Aldi, you have to put a quarter in to release a shopping cart and then you get it back when you return your cart. Most of the time when we go, someone will be coming out of the store and offer us their cart. We always try to give them our quarter, but they refuse. So, we use the cart for shopping and when we leave, we take our groceries out of the cart and offer it to someone coming into the store and refuse their quarter if offered. It's a silly thing, but it's fun to think that one person gave up their quarter to create a chain of kindness.