Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-30-2019, 01:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD: 12/30 New Year

What are your plans for New Years Eve? Going out or staying in? Do you celebrate in any way?

On the 1st, do you start the new year off with any special activities or traditions?
Old 12-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm very happy to stay home, snuggled in my chair, enjoying some snacky foods and watch movies (Knives Out and A Quiet Place) with hubs. Taz (our doodle) doesn't like NYE, the fireworks and banging/screaming from neighbors at midnight freak him out. He gets very stressed on NYE so we like to stay home with him.

On the 1st, I always start the day off with a hike or jog with Taz. I think this year we'll head out for a jog, I've slacked off the latter part of this year and need to get back into it again. So, it'll be a good way to start the new year. I am also going to do a weight lifting session in the afternoon b/c I need to get back into that again too b/c I slacked off on that for a lot of this past year. I usually put the tree/decorations away in the afternoon. I love Xmas time but am always happy to get back to our regular routine.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We pretty much stay home now. The four of us will probably eat and play games snuggled up in the living room. We don't even stay up past midnight. lol

Old 12-30-2019, 03:04 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We stay at home. My 7 year old wants to stay up.
In Holland we have the Top2000, the 2000 best songs ever voted by audience. We listen to that, eat some "oliebollen" (please Google ��) and play some games.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

What are your plans for New Years Eve? Going out or staying in? Do you celebrate in any way?

We are going out to an early dinner (the kids always go out to the lake house with their grandparents) for hubby's birthday. Then we have a few friends/neighbors over to our house for games & cupcakes! Usually everyone leaves just after the ball drops- we're all old now with kids & such! lol!

On the 1st, do you start the new year off with any special activities or traditions?
On the 1st we always clean house- take down the tree & any christmas decor left (although sometimes I leave a bit of the winter/snowflake themed stuff up!) We sometimes go sledding out at the lake house, but the last couple years haven't had enough snow... and I doubt we will this year either... dang it.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leontine78 View Post
We stay at home. My 7 year old wants to stay up.
In Holland we have the Top2000, the 2000 best songs ever voted by audience. We listen to that, eat some "oliebollen" (please Google ��) and play some games.
Oh my- those look wonderful! Enjoy!!!
Old 12-30-2019, 03:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

New Year's Eve - We usually go out for Chinese to get our fortune cookie. Then go to the radio station. My father-in-law has a radio show that he plays big band music... my husband goes up to help get the system set up with special liners (that he recorded) and since the weather is nice, we will run up as a family tape the Midnight Countdown. My son will record jokes (used to be Jokes with Jakey, now it's Mr. Wizard, Junior - my FIL is Mr. Wizard). Jake and I will play games until it's time to leave... FIL is on the air... my husband is working on things behind the scenes. Then we have to be home by midnight as it is tradition to eat 12 pieces of herring by the stroke of midnight - one piece per month for financial success. In years past we would stay at a hotel over night either in Shawano (where the radio show is, about 45 min north of where we live) or locally at a hotel/small waterpark)... but I don't think we are doing that this year.

New Year's Day... we lounge and eat pork and sauerkraut - another tradition for good health and wealth.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We got a bunch of finger foods to make for New Years Eve. It's just going to be my husband, my two boys {12 & 9} and me. My daughter {15} is going to a sleepover at her friends house to hang out with her 3 girlfriends. Maybe we'll rent some movies or something. Pork and Sauerkraut with Knepp for dinner on New Years Day!
Old 12-30-2019, 05:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We stay in every year..... my middle son and I make a bunch of snacks and finger foods for the evening, we get out a bunch of tabletop games (they got some new D&D books fro christmas, so I'm only going to assume that's what we jump in to). We watch the local timezone count down on tv and watch the cities fireworks display from the comfort of the couch. Then at least myself will stay up until 1am (sometimes the kids stick around) to watch the ball drop in NYC as that is my 'home time zone' and it has been tradition to watch since I was a kid.
Old 12-30-2019, 05:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My daughter & I go over to my sister's for NYE. We'll have pizza & snacks, play games, watch a movie, & watch the ball drop on TV while we do noisemakers and drink sparkling grape juice. We sleep over and have donuts or cinnamon rolls for breakfast before heading home.

My teenage nephew has 3 or 4 of his friends over at the same time but they spend the entire time in the basement gaming so we only see them for dinner & when they come up for air. They're always still asleep when my daughter & I leave in the morning.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

We'll be eating dinner with my parents-in-law tonight at a nearby restaurant. That's it.

As for the day, I'm just back from picking my son for a 2-hours school and we'll be heading out to have sushi lunch date, just the 2 of us
Old 12-30-2019, 10:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We usually make crab legs for dinner and spend the evening in, celebrating with the kids and whatever friends they invite. We play board games, watch movies, and I put a bunch of finger foods out. This year change is in the air. The oldest (graduating in May) is going to her friend's house for a NYE party. The youngest is still having a friend over, but I think we are going to opt for pizza over crab legs and bowling over board games. We may still get in some board games and movies, but we will venture out and spend a little time socializing. LOL

Nah. Nothing special for the 1st.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Usually we order dinner in and do a small family party with desserts before the kids go to bed. DH is anti-New Year's; he hates all the hype, so he makes it a point to be in bed before midnight. My 16 year old and I stay up amusing ourselves (him texting and reading, me scrapping) and then we watch the ball drop in Times Square on tv.

This year we're visiting my parents, so plans will change a little. DH and I will probably go out for dinner (early, as if it was any old night and not NYE, LOL). My parents will have a little party with the kids while we're out. Then DS, my parents, and I will stay up and watch the festivities in Times Square on tv while DH and the younger two go to sleep.

Usually 1/1 is a lazy day at home, no special traditions. This year we'll be driving home from my parents' (about 7 hours).
Old 01-01-2020, 08:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The tradition is to make crab legs (sometimes with shrimp alfredo, sometimes with jambalaya) and ring in the new year playing board games and watching movies. We don silly hats and glasses and make noise at the stroke of midnight. This year our oldest (high school senior) wanted to go to her best friend's house for a NYE party. As we had hosted that same friend a few times, we decided to let her go (as sad as it made me not to have everyone together for NYE). My youngest invited his best friend over and instead of making crab legs we ordered pizza and then went bowling. We came home, donned the silly hats and glasses and took the traditional photos. I missed the food tradition (though I don't eat crab) but we made jambalaya today so its all good. The daughter's boyfriend came to visit and went to the party with her last night. He spent the night at our house after and is staying tonight as well.

Not really. I'd like more tradition in this area but we never really have done much.
Old 01-01-2020, 09:17 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We went out to dinner/drinks with 3 other couples. We celebrated east coast NYE ... we were home by about 10:45. My 13 and 15 year olds both went to parties and my MIL watched my little guy.