Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2015, 01:34 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm
Default Vacation Suggestions for ages 2-9?

I was wondering if anyone had any good vacation suggestions for kids. I have two boys, 6 and 9, and a 2 yr old daughter. It has to be budget friendly as well and nothing too far from us (we're in Michigan so anything out west is basically too far). Any suggestions?
Old 07-09-2015, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We just went for a night at the Great Wolf Lodge. The initial cost looks expensive, but it's easy to save up for if you budget. We went for a night in one of the rooms with bunk beds in them and had the money after saving up for 3 months. I know that probably doesn't help you NOW, but maybe as a future vacation?

Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
We just went for a night at the Great Wolf Lodge. The initial cost looks expensive, but it's easy to save up for if you budget. We went for a night in one of the rooms with bunk beds in them and had the money after saving up for 3 months. I know that probably doesn't help you NOW, but maybe as a future vacation?
I was thinking about that. We are so close by that it wouldn't cost much to travel there so that means money saved. The only thing I worried about was add on costs. Did you have to buy any packages or anything to keep the kids occupied or was a basic room with waterpark passes enough? My kids would love the waterpark but I would like some other activities to keep them occupied too and I'm not sure how expensive things like bowling, mini golf and the Magiquest are.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm too far from you to have specific places to suggest, but every year our extended family spends a week at a lake in the mountains. It's much more budget friendly than the ocean (which probably isn't an option given your location, anyway, LOL), and part of the reason we keep going is that the beach is one of the few things all the cousins (ages 2 to 11 this year) can do and enjoy together. Plus there's no additional cost for the lakes and pools where we stay, so even if housing is a little on the expensive side it balances out with lower activity costs. We rent a house since hotel rooms for 13 people would be much more expensive, but maybe you can find a reasonable hotel.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersmommy View Post
My kids would love the waterpark but I would like some other activities to keep them occupied too and I'm not sure how expensive things like bowling, mini golf and the Magiquest are.
I haven't been, but my sister went a few months ago with a 3.5 year old and an almost 2-year old. She said it was great for her older son but not the younger. Though if your 2 is almost 3 she might be more ready.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

What we do now that saves us tons is use VRBO or another similar site for places to stay. There are great deals to be had! The nice thing is you can find places that are cheaper than hotels and if you rent a cabin or a house you'll have a kitchen which is huge for savings instead of eating out
Old 07-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

They're young enough that you can make just about anything into a fun vacation with the right amount of planning and excitement, especially for the two youngest.

Pick something that "breaks the rules" for vacation. example: if you don't have dessert every day or if your kids like something that you don't let them have every day you go on an "ice cream tour", "slushy tour" or even "mac and cheese" tour and look for places you can go and try something new and everyone votes on their favorites.

Are there areas near you that have nice local parks? One day I got a request to "stop at that park" and it was someone's backyard swing set. If your kids like playing on playgrounds you could go to a nice area that has playgrounds and visit one or two each day. Good news with this one is they will probably sleep really well from playing outside all day.

Many of the amusement parks in Ohio have a Snoopy area that have many kiddie rides. I'm not sure where you are in Michigan, but Cedar Point in Sandusky might be not too far away. Everyone's "budget" is different so that may be more than you want to spend.

What do your kids like to do? Are there free or donation museums you could travel to?
Old 07-10-2015, 08:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Great Wolf was a lot of fun for my kids too, we're in Michigan as well, we went to Traverse City, did downtown, the Sleeping Bear Dunes and a day at Lake Michigan. It was a lot of fun. There are a lot of other indoor waterparks in the state I've been noticing that are probably more affordable. Groupons has them all the time.

The add ons will get you, but we just told our kids that we couldn't do everything this time. We did the arcade, and some art work, they loved that. We went to Mejier to get stuff for breakfast and lunches (it's right next to Great Wolf), we did take out for dinner, we didn't eat at the resort, it was too expensive.

My kids talk about it more than Disney World.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:54 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
What we do now that saves us tons is use VRBO or another similar site for places to stay. There are great deals to be had! The nice thing is you can find places that are cheaper than hotels and if you rent a cabin or a house you'll have a kitchen which is huge for savings instead of eating out
I've never heard of this site before, so thanks! I might not use it this time but good to know for in the future.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:58 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap2day View Post
They're young enough that you can make just about anything into a fun vacation with the right amount of planning and excitement, especially for the two youngest.

Pick something that "breaks the rules" for vacation. example: if you don't have dessert every day or if your kids like something that you don't let them have every day you go on an "ice cream tour", "slushy tour" or even "mac and cheese" tour and look for places you can go and try something new and everyone votes on their favorites.

Are there areas near you that have nice local parks? One day I got a request to "stop at that park" and it was someone's backyard swing set. If your kids like playing on playgrounds you could go to a nice area that has playgrounds and visit one or two each day. Good news with this one is they will probably sleep really well from playing outside all day.

Many of the amusement parks in Ohio have a Snoopy area that have many kiddie rides. I'm not sure where you are in Michigan, but Cedar Point in Sandusky might be not too far away. Everyone's "budget" is different so that may be more than you want to spend.

What do your kids like to do? Are there free or donation museums you could travel to?
Great suggestions! We do still have one park the kids want to go to nearby that we've never visited. We do "staycations" basically every year which is why I thought we'd splurge a little this year on a mini vacation. I think they are still too little for Cedar Point, but I was looking at Kalahari as a possibility too.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:31 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Our family getaways are generally low key. We rent a bach or unit by the beach (or take our tent) and the kids have a blast for a week. They spend the majority of the time just playing on the beach and swimming in the water. We do beach walks and small drives to nearby bays. It's relaxing for all of us and the kids love it most of all because it's focused family time with Mum and Dad. We will often invite 2 neighbour kids/friends to come with us as playmates for the kids too.