Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to scarlettcharm Send a message via Yahoo to scarlettcharm
Red face Shadows?

how do YOU do shadowing? I've been seeing some amazing shadows around lately, and while I'm not UNhappy with my shadows...I'd LOVE to learn how to do those ultra amazing ones. I use Sarah Amarie's and Traci Murphy's and tweak them both a lot...I just never seem to be able to get them "perfect". Here are a few examples of what I mean:

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...627&ppuser=345

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...p?photo=181792

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...p?photo=214017

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...p?photo=214016

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...p?photo=214175

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...p?photo=212357

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...p?photo=213950

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...p?photo=213972

Old 11-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I found this tutorial by Misty Cato a while back, and that's how I do almost all of my drop shadows. It can be a little time consuming, but I love hte effect I get from it. Plus it's easy to play with and change to get the look you want. I've never used a drop shadow action, so I don't know how it compares though.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:53 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Well I can't give detailed instructions cause I use GIMP and most possibly you don't But it should work the same with any program.

I do this:
* duplicate the layer
* make the bottom one "keep transparency" and fill it with black
* DEselect the keep transparency option and apply some gaussian blur, you would need to experiment on the amount
* Then, if you want the shadow to be stronger on one angle, apply a slight offset to layer, I like to use x=3 and y=3 . Like the flowers in this LO https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...65&ppuser=2176 (those have an offset of 8)
* OR you can not offset the shadow layer at all, go get a slight shadow all around a piece (like the picture in this LO https://www.sweetshoppedesigns.com/i...99&ppuser=2176 ).
* Then you play around with the shadow layer opacity till you get a result you like
Old 11-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

i don't buy the shadow action.. i bought only for stitches.. but then I did learn by my self and got some tutorials from few scrappers

for this LO , i used : opacity 81 - angle 40 - distance 12 and size 18

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...971&ppuser=203

and you can change the colors of your shadows according the stuff you wanted to add the shadows

and for this LO , i used : opacity 84 - angle 40 - distance 33 and size 27
I used darker shadows because of the stuff darker

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/...317&ppuser=203

I hope this would help
Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to scarlettcharm Send a message via Yahoo to scarlettcharm

Great tips ladies!Keep 'em coming. I want a huge arsenal of shadowing knowledge! LOL I WISH I had the ability to have the shadows on a separate layer, but I have PSE. I really need to start trying to make my own shadows completely from scratch! Thanks for the inspiration!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Does PSE have a wand? If so try duplicating your layer, selecting around your element or whatever-inverse-floodfill with a color you want for your shadow (I use a DARK color in my bg color range or whatever color is under my layer i'm shadowing), move that layer under whatever you are shadowing, then play with it from there?

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 11-19-2007, 12:07 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

maybe this can help? I don't know pse

http://www.scrapgirls.com/creating_r...p_elements.htm
Old 11-19-2007, 12:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much for all the tips. I know I am going to try the Misty tutorial and maybe create an action for myself to make life easier
Old 11-19-2007, 01:56 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Great tips!! I usually use diferent shadows for diferent kind of elements. A cardboard, for exemplo, produces a bigger shadow than a paper. Shadow work is a little hard for me.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to SaraAmarie

I use my drop shadow styles too. I have recently started using the -45 set. I think it looks a little more real, because if you were sitting in a chair looking at a paper scrapped book, you would probably have a lamp on that was a little behind and to the side of you and that would cast a similar shadow as the -45 does. Just my guess here.

For some items, like twisted ribbons that I want some variation in the shadow, I turn the style into its own layer and use warp to manipulate it. I'm guessing that you can't do this in PSE? To do this in photoshop, I right click on the style icon on the layer and turn the shadow into its own layer. It makes an outer glow and a shadow layer that I merge together then change it's blend mode to either multiply or linear burn. Then manipulate the shadow layer till it looks good using warp. This is good for making ribbon ends or flower petals look like they are sticking up off the page. The warp tool is very handy!

Rachel, maybe use the styles for basic things then do seperate shadows for a few things that need a little pop on your layout? Robin posted a quick tut for SUAS that might work well for you. You can find it here.

Blog etc.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

oh great tutorial..if I knew short codes I woulda put them on my post instead of selecting, inversing, etc lol..same idea hehe..I don't do shadows that way but I'm gonna experiement on a LO later with them

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 11-19-2007, 03:25 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

This is such a great thread. I went from PSP to PSCS jsut in the last few months and my shadows are really lacking something. Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

So when exactly would you use the warp tool? I know technically how to do it, I'm just not sure that I get how to use it. I'd been trying it out when elements were unevenly layered, is that on the right track? What about say on a flower for example, how exactly would you use the warp tool on that shadow? How do you know that it "looks right"?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
So when exactly would you use the warp tool? I know technically how to do it, I'm just not sure that I get how to use it. I'd been trying it out when elements were unevenly layered, is that on the right track? What about say on a flower for example, how exactly would you use the warp tool on that shadow? How do you know that it "looks right"?
You would use the warp tool to stretch the shadow a bit. Make it stand out a bit more and be more dimensional. I usually know when it's good, when it looks like it would (or at least as close as I can get it) in real life. If your light source is on the right of the flower, then the left side of teh flower will have a slightly longer shadow. So you can use the warp tool to stretch it a bit in the right places.

Warp is also great for curled edges, and making a stack look more dimensional.

Using this lo for an example, the light bulb picture looks curled because of the way the shadow is warped. The HOV piece has a smaller shadow than the circle and the sticker on top of it because it's closer to the base paper.

I hope that helped maybe a little bit! Lol!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:35 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

i never tried wrap tool actually.. but i will try someday..

here are some inspirations of fabulous shadows by angebq

she and Birgit of catscraps was the 2 persons who taught me about shadows
Old 11-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
You would use the warp tool to stretch the shadow a bit. Make it stand out a bit more and be more dimensional. I usually know when it's good, when it looks like it would (or at least as close as I can get it) in real life. If your light source is on the right of the flower, then the left side of teh flower will have a slightly longer shadow. So you can use the warp tool to stretch it a bit in the right places.

Warp is also great for curled edges, and making a stack look more dimensional.

Using this lo for an example, the light bulb picture looks curled because of the way the shadow is warped. The HOV piece has a smaller shadow than the circle and the sticker on top of it because it's closer to the base paper.

I hope that helped maybe a little bit! Lol!

awww that is wonderful !!
Old 11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

yes that warp thing seems neat, I guess we should all try it
Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Sweets

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraAmarie View Post
I use my drop shadow styles too. I have recently started using the -45 set. I think it looks a little more real, because if you were sitting in a chair looking at a paper scrapped book, you would probably have a lamp on that was a little behind and to the side of you and that would cast a similar shadow as the -45 does. Just my guess here.

For some items, like twisted ribbons that I want some variation in the shadow, I turn the style into its own layer and use warp to manipulate it. I'm guessing that you can't do this in PSE? To do this in photoshop, I right click on the style icon on the layer and turn the shadow into its own layer. It makes an outer glow and a shadow layer that I merge together then change it's blend mode to either multiply or linear burn. Then manipulate the shadow layer till it looks good using warp. This is good for making ribbon ends or flower petals look like they are sticking up off the page. The warp tool is very handy!

Rachel, maybe use the styles for basic things then do seperate shadows for a few things that need a little pop on your layout? Robin posted a quick tut for SUAS that might work well for you. You can find it here.
Yes, thanks Sarah! I think a big issue for ME, is that I have PSE, so it can feel very limited.If I had PS and could make my style a separate layer and color, etc, life would be GRAND! lol

And some things just NEED their very own custom/handmade shadow, but I've never been sure how to do it. I've tried several ways, but was just wondering how others did theirs. Your shadows really are great! Ialso love that you have so many to choose from!!

Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery

There is someone out there who does incredible shadows. I know I have a few of her layouts in my favorites, I just can't remember which site. I would love to know how to do shadows like that. I'm going to try some of these suggestions. I just click the shadow and inner shadow options in PSCS2 right now, but mine are not nearly as good as some I"ve seen.