Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb
Default Stacy J's Library of Memories @ BPS??

Ok who took this class this year? I think some people did.
Was it worth it? Did you like it? Are you really implementing it?

I've been trying to implement it without much success on my own. I'm thinking that maybe taking the class is the big push of motivation I need.

Thoughts?

http://www.bigpicturescrapbooking.com/lom2009.php
Old 12-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know two friends that loved it. I have taken classes by Stacy IRL and she is a fab teacher. I think it's probably a cool way to do things if you are just starting out but I've already got like 20 albums either done or in process so there was no way I was going to start a new way. LOL!

Old 12-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

sounds really cool!
Old 12-04-2008, 02:22 PM

profile gallery send pm

I even bought a bunch of the stuff to get started with it, I just haven't followed through....at all. I'll think about it for a few more days, but I'm leaning towards YES. I already sort of adapted my digital photo storage to reflect this somewhat.

I could have sworn ppl here took this earlier in the year though....
Old 12-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Technically I've taken the class twice now but last year was the first year I actually followed along and implemented it. I definitely think it's worth it if you like the ideas behind her system but need some motivation to actually implement it.

I actually think everyone would get more out of the class if we could get a group of digital girls to do it together. One of my big frustrations with her class is the early stages are not really very digi-friendly and I think that's partly because she just doesn't seem to "get" digi. I actually asked her specifically if she had any tips/suggestions for implementing the system digitally and her response to me was basically to print my photos out and organize them in photo albums because if I couldn't see them in person, I couldn't be inspired by them. She admits though that she spends as little time as possible on the computer and I think that definitely shows in the system she has set up.

I know last year there was a section of the message boards for digi-scrappers to discuss the system but I'd say about 99% of the people in there were paper scrappers trying to turn digi and almost all the questions were very basic ones like how to use photoshop elements, etc. I didn't find that section to be all that useful so I felt like I was mostly on my own trying to figure things out.

Anyway, this is my long-winded way of saying, I'm probably going to take the class again and I'd love to see more digi-people I actually know take it with me.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:26 PM

profile gallery send pm

I knew someone had taken it! LOL!

Excellent insight Lynette. I remember your complaints about the digital aspect of it.
I think I'm gonna take it. I really just need that PUSH to get it going, and I think the class will do that.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds interesting but I just wish these people would make their classes a little more affordable so more people could enjoy them. $95 doesn't seem to be something I have just lying around to get organized with.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 PM

profile gallery send pm

I took one of Stacy's classes over the summer, Have More Fun, and it was cheaper. For what you get, and the knowledge gained, the access to Stacy, the forum and gallery, etc, it's completely worth it to me.

I'm VERY temped to take the Life Well Crafted class, but I don't think I can swing both. LWC is much more expensive but is for the entire year. I just love what I've seen for that class and some of the ideas I've seen.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I was thinking it looks pricey, too. I am not really that far behind that I feel like I need to do something like this.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:39 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
Yeah, I was thinking it looks pricey, too. I am not really that far behind that I feel like I need to do something like this.
The whole principle of it, is that you're never behind. It's about looking at photos and scrapbooking in a completely different and non-chronological light.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I totally understand about the cost. I debated about that a lot the first time I took it too. Really it works out to being about $8 a lesson which I don't think is so bad for all the information she gives out. The nice thing is once you've taken it, you can repeat the class every year for free. That's the only reason I've done it more than once.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodoNY0123 View Post
The whole principle of it, is that you're never behind. It's about looking at photos and scrapbooking in a completely different and non-chronological light.
Oh that did it for me! You mean to tell me there are people who don't scrap in order {{GASP}}.

Sounds good on the angle she is doing it from about never feeling behind. For me though, the whole reason I scrap is because I want my kids to be able to look back on their lives and see how their life was day to day and in order. I like my books to flow from the day to day just like our life does. I am all about the order.

Last edited by gracielou; 12-04-2008 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I totally understand about the cost. I debated about that a lot the first time I took it too. Really it works out to being about $8 a lesson which I don't think is so bad for all the information she gives out. The nice thing is once you've taken it, you can repeat the class every year for free. That's the only reason I've done it more than once.

That's cool about repeating the class free. Does she offer more stuff or new ideas each year?
Old 12-04-2008, 02:48 PM

profile gallery send pm

I never scrap in order. LOL!

Her system lets some pictures ferment. And then a year or two later you might see 2 different pictures in a whole new light, and draw connections from them you would never see from just a chronological stand point.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Once y'all get her straightened out re: digi, I might hop on board.

Until then, I'm not going to spend $95 on a class that I will have to rework because I'm 100% digital & the teacher is not.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I never scrap in order. LOL!

Her system lets some pictures ferment. And then a year or two later you might see 2 different pictures in a whole new light, and draw connections from them you would never see from just a chronological stand point.
Certainly makes sense but I would probably pass out if I let my pictures ferment although I do wish I could get rid of the overwhelming feeling of always being behind. Of course, thanks to all the cool cookies here lately I think I might actually catch up with 2008 by the end of the year!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM

profile gallery send pm

To each his own right? I just don't like the unnecessary stress that chronological scrapping gives me. I haven't scrapped our trip to Cabo in 2006 completely, I haven't scrapped our trip to Vegas or our engagement trip last summer. But I don't care. I'll get around to it. It's not like the pictures are going anywhere
Old 12-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
To each his own right? I just don't like the unnecessary stress that chronological scrapping gives me. I haven't scrapped our trip to Cabo in 2006 completely, I haven't scrapped our trip to Vegas or our engagement trip last summer. But I don't care. I'll get around to it. It's not like the pictures are going anywhere
Defintely! There is certainly a ton of stress I could do without with going in order. I always feel like I am playing the catch up game and can never seem to win LOL. I still have a whole cropper hopper bin full of pictures from my paper scrapping days that haven't been scrapped yet. I have tucked them away in my closet out of view so I don't feel the guilt of them not being scrapped yet . I like to tell myself that I am saving those for the days when the kids are grown and gone to give me something to do.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I love the concept for organizing old printed photos but I am not printing all of my digital photos just to plunk them in a photo album. And the thought of rearranging all my nicely dated foldered digital photos gives me hives! There has to be a better way for digital!

I took some BPS classes when they first started and didn't accomplish anything, LOL I guess I'm just not a class type gal.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di-ahh View Post
I love the concept for organizing old printed photos but I am not printing all of my digital photos just to plunk them in a photo album. And the thought of rearranging all my nicely dated foldered digital photos gives me hives! There has to be a better way for digital!
Well clearly I think she was wrong with the printing since I never bothered to print out any photos. I understand her reasoning behind it and it is true for paper scrappers. I would just argue that the opposite is true for digital scrappers. We should be making an effort to have all photos in a digital format since odds are you're not going to stop and sift through photo albums to then scan some old photo for a layout. At least I know I'm too lazy to do that.

I never rearranged any of my dated digital folders, in fact nothing about her class asks you to do that. That's actually one of the huge advantages with digital because rather than duplicating photos or only being able to have them in one place you can easily tag them to be in more than spot. So I have mine set up in seasonal albums and then also tagged for various categories. It makes it really easy to scrap either chronological or more moment/themed layouts, which is really what she's trying to encourage people to do.

I didn't mean to discourage people from the class, I was just trying to give an honest opinion based on my experience. If you're totally happy with whatever system you're already using then it probably won't be worth the cost to you. But if you're looking for a system that will help inspire you to tell stories and make connections over time then it might be something you want to look into.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:04 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielou View Post
That's cool about repeating the class free. Does she offer more stuff or new ideas each year?
Yes, there has been new stuff each year. I don't remember what all the changes were but I know she included a list with each lesson about what was different so those that had taken it before would know what to pay attention to. She also adapts the class based on feedback each year so I'm excited to see how things have progressed since each year it just seems to get better.

For the record, I've never been one to scrap chronologically. In fact I never knew there was this idea of being "caught up" until awhile after I started. So for me her system was more of a "yes! someone gets what I've been doing all along."
Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to MelissaL88

Quote:
I never rearranged any of my dated digital folders, in fact nothing about her class asks you to do that. That's actually one of the huge advantages with digital because rather than duplicating photos or only being able to have them in one place you can easily tag them to be in more than spot. So I have mine set up in seasonal albums and then also tagged for various categories. It makes it really easy to scrap either chronological or more moment/themed layouts, which is really what she's trying to encourage people to do.
ITA! Her class really helped with setting up categories/tags in ACDSee. I'm woefully behind in my photo tagging (at least my scrap stuff is more up to date ), but I've got the categories in place (modified over time). Even though Stacy doesn't "get" digital, I still found it to be money well spent.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well...I just read my email and I don't get free access to the class this year But, to be honest, I'm not sure I need all the class materials again. I just need to reead the course materials to get myself back in the mood.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracielou View Post
Sounds interesting but I just wish these people would make their classes a little more affordable so more people could enjoy them. $95 doesn't seem to be something I have just lying around to get organized with.
I completely agree Amanda!! That is just too pricy for me, I'll stick with my organization which is somewhat like Stacy's anyway.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Well clearly I think she was wrong with the printing since I never bothered to print out any photos. I understand her reasoning behind it and it is true for paper scrappers. I would just argue that the opposite is true for digital scrappers. We should be making an effort to have all photos in a digital format since odds are you're not going to stop and sift through photo albums to then scan some old photo for a layout. At least I know I'm too lazy to do that.

I didn't mean to discourage people from the class, I was just trying to give an honest opinion based on my experience. If you're totally happy with whatever system you're already using then it probably won't be worth the cost to you. But if you're looking for a system that will help inspire you to tell stories and make connections over time then it might be something you want to look into.
I love the part about tagging my photos. They are just a mess right now and I would love to know how to have an efficient method of doing that. Maybe in the future she could add a method like this for digital scrappers if enough of them asked her to. I would probably consider the class if it weren't for the money. Bummer! I am trying to save for a photography class first though. Maybe I will book mark it and look into in the future. I am certainly open for new ideas and I love classes where I can really learn something that will help me.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Ahhh tagging, that's the ticket!! Uh oh, I feel another resolution coming on! LOL
Actually I should just start doing it when I proof my photos/edit after I download. Names, events, colors, themes... what else?

I think we digital gals come up with our own great ideas. I do have Stacy's book and much prefer that, to the class format. To each her own I guess
Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Amanda,
I haven't read the book, but I hear that her Photo Freedom book is supposed to be the LOM class pared down to book form. You might look at that instead.