Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69
Default Designer Requset :)

I am not sure which designers do and which don't, but I am trying to organize a Preview folder {that way I know EXACTLY what I have!}, so I was wondering if you lovely ladies would name your preview folder with your designer name and then the kit name? Some of the ones I have come across just say "folder" so I am having to rename those {I know once I get caught up it won't be a big deal}, but I thought if I could ask in advance then I won't have to do it at all down the road...so pretty please
Old 03-27-2011, 08:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

*lol* I've seend this request and it's counter request so many times in the 5 years I've been scrapping

The last time it was "requested" everyone wanted the opposite...they wanted the preview named "folder" so that it would show up big in Vista.

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah it doesn't work that way in Windows 7 (or at least it doesn't for me) so I end up having to rename all of mine because it keeps popping up something about there already being something named folder and would I like to rename it. I like to stick my previews for a designer's kit all in one place so I can easily see what I have from each designer.
Like so:

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-27-2011, 09:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went through all my products and made sure each kit had two previews - one with the designer/kit name and the other named folder... and then I switched to Windows 7 and the folders show up differently and the preview won't show up the same way anymore .

What I'd love is if the designers named all the papers and elements with their design name & kit name. When I drag them into CS5, it renames the layer with the name of the paper/element and it's wonderful for credit tracking to have the designer/kit info available that way. One of these days, I'll get around to renaming them myself - I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Trish, that is a great idea to put them under each designer...I am just putting them under an SSD folder and then under that I am doing a seperate template folder....I will probably go back and rearrange them under each designer, but I like being able to see them all in one folder Kate, how do you preview them in Windows 7?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Angie, I have to do the same thing. It was a hassle when I was trying to get organized the first time (after 2 years of buying! eek!). Now, I would LOVE it if the designers did this but naming previews each week only takes me a minute. Doing 2-4 kits is a WHOLE LOT easier than the days of work I did at the beginning.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:30 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

lemme tell you why i don't name mine with my name-kit name-preview or whatever..I have issues when my preview is between all my elements. I sort by name and i can't have it all out of whack lol

(example...mmullens-aisfor-bow, mmullens-aisfor-preview, mmullens-aisforibbon) ahhh drives me absolutely NUTS..I just keep mine named preview

you think the windows process is time consuming for previews..try doing it for tons of folders on a mac lol I'm slowly going thru my kits adding the preview as the folder image

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-27-2011, 09:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I actually like the folder file... I have windows 7 and the "folder" file is the one I see when I have my view set for thumbnails. Works great to me! I can see all the previews right there.

Oh and Meg has a great point. I don't like my preview in the middle of everything either!
Old 03-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

ok, so I see both sides of the coin...can the designers have one named with designer-kit-preview and then one just named preview or folder? This way you can delete the one you don't want use? Would it be alot of extra work to have 2 previews?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah8914 View Post
I actually like the folder file... I have windows 7 and the "folder" file is the one I see when I have my view set for thumbnails.
Sarah, can you show me a screenshot of this, cause I have Windows 7 and I don't understand how you are vieiwing the "folder" file? I can open a dsigner's folder and in that folder open the kit, but it doesn't matter how the preview in labeled, I still see it in the thumbnail view...maybe I am just confused
Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes I can, just a sec
Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

okay, it's super blurry, but maybe you can get the idea.

I did realize though that I don't really care what they are named because I "tag" them in ACDSee if a preview tag and can look at all my previews in one place. But, I don't tag them until they are on my hard drive.

So here is my KCB folder (well, part of it... the rest is on my EHD).

And the extra large icon view:

I forgot to add also that I put everything in a kit in one folder (except alphas that are separate files).
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

I actually just prefer the folder one! LOL have to copy the new file each time and rename it folder for those who don't include one.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oh yes...mine look like that too Sarah...so I know exactly what you mean...I didn't realize that is what you were talking about, and you know what I do preview them like that now!!! But I think I am going to take a preview from each kit and do like Trish did so I don't have to worry about looking at each folder and they are all right there on the from page under each designer... But now I see what you were saying!!!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I totally put EVERYTHING in one folder for each kit...I do not seperate kits at all....under each folder I usually have all the papers right there since that is what I usually choose 1st when I open PS....then I have a elements folder and alpha folder and so far this totally works for me!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I don't even have a separate elements folder! But I too start with papers!

So what exactly do you want? Just to see the actual files all by themselves? Not in a folder?? I do like that too, which is why I tag them in ACDSee... (sometimes). So it sounds like you have a plan that would work!

I guess I misunderstood you!!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

lol Angie, I'm so anal about my organization of my scrapping stuff it's not even funny. It infuriates my hubs since I'm not the least bit organized with anything else in life. (Remind me to show y'all a picture of my bookcases ones day lol) I have it broken down like this:
*Scrap Kits folder (on main folder of EHD)
*Store folders
*inside that every designer I have stuff from has a folder PLUS a copy of the previews of everything I have from the store
*open a designer folder every kit has it's own folder in the designer folder PLUS all the previews of the things I have by that designer
*open a kit folder I have a seperate folder for the papers for the kit, and one for the alphas (and yes if there is more than one alpha or color those are all in their own folders in the alpha folder), then the elements are all in the main kit folder.

I used to have it broken down even more. (My Weeds and Wildflowers kits are still broken down this way) Frames had their own folder, stitching had it's own folder, word art had it's own, etc; all inside the main kit folder.
lol

Old 03-27-2011, 10:43 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

yes Sarah, that is what I want to do...I just want to be able to open say La's designer folder and then see a preview of all the things I have in her folder at a glance {just like Trish has}....and Trish,my EHD kits are set up almost that exact same way!!!
SSD
-Designer
--Designer kit
---Kit Papers
----Kit elements
----Kit Alphas

I also have these folders under SSD
-Alphas
-Templates
--Template Designer
-Unused

Then I have a total seperate folder for CT
-each Designer has a folder

what I do is dl'd the kits for the week to my laptop and then after I use the kit it goes to it's proper place on my EHD {whether is be CT, template, designer, etc}

I also have my photos set up very similar
--Each month
---Anything that happened special in that month {i.e. birthday, friends, school trips, Chuck E Cheese, etc}
I also have a folder for the album I am working on for Sam's senior year and under that it has each year she was born with the relevant pics!

So I guess I am pretty anal too Trish! But don't ask what my scrap room looks like right now
Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

lmao. My pictures are set up the exact same, also add another folder inside each month's for web sized also.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I like having one folder with only the previews of the kits that I own. I have to rename all of the previews named "folder" to the kit name when I add it to my preview folder. The best solution for me would be to have 2 previews included with each kit, one named "folder" and the other one with the designer/kit name.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompaterra View Post
I like having one folder with only the previews of the kits that I own. I have to rename all of the previews named "folder" to the kit name when I add it to my preview folder. The best solution for me would be to have 2 previews included with each kit, one named "folder" and the other one with the designer/kit name.
totally this
Old 03-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Very interesting post to read! Thanks for the tips!

I too find myself renaming the generic "folder" or "preview" name and would prefer a unique name... It is time-consuming to get all the organization caught up, but not too big a deal one download at a time... What I am also loving is when designers are descriptive with the elements titles (ribbon, string, tape, flower, heart, star, etc.) -- I was looking for a particular type of element for a recipe challenge today, and was quickly able to find one from another kit with a quick search!

Now I just have to figure out how to keep track of what I have on the EHD versus on the laptop... I just moved a bunch of stuff over and it's cramping my style!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
ok, so I see both sides of the coin...can the designers have one named with designer-kit-preview and then one just named preview or folder? This way you can delete the one you don't want use? Would it be alot of extra work to have 2 previews?
I do that with my kits
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I do that with my kits
And I love you for it! (The fantastic kits that come with the 2 previews have nothing to do with it...)

I love having the 2 previews, but it's not that big a deal for me to change it myself if designers do it differently.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:13 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

you know, i think i'll start including both again. I used to because I'd heard both requests (I myself am a rename to folder type with my scrap stuff), but there was a while that there was a bunch of customer frustration about too many useless files in each zip, and so I decided to just go ahead and take out the name-kitname version of the preview.

There is no way I could not include the "folder" version because I'm a bit anal about all of my kits in my own files not having a neat little preview show up instead of some random element LOL.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I'd actually be thrilled if the designers would put previews in them in the first place! Most do, but there are still some that don't, then I have to go back to the site and copy the preview out of the market. Drives me nuts!

I always rename my previews and folders anyway with kit name, store, and designer. Then I keep two spare copies of each preview because I put one of everything in one folder that is just alphabetized, then I have another folder that I keep one of each preview sorted by themes. It's a little extra work, but sooooo worth it when I need to go looking for stuff.
Jen Yurko, Meredith Cardall, Lindsay Jane, and PickleBerry Pop!
Old 03-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
This is what I do.

Penny
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I go the "folder" name route.
But then I reorganized my Darcy folder. I put all her font previews into 1 big folder. Except they were all named "folder", so windows hated that. So I just had it add the number to the end (folder1, folder2, etc).

I can view it in the extra large icon size and be able to read the font name (or if I was doing it for reviews, I could probably read the kit name off the preview), so I saw no need to rename it all. I am tempted to go this route for my designer previews, but I'd do it within the designer folder, so I wouldn't need to rename the preview to include the designer name. I also wouldn't rename it. If I can't read the kit name from the preview, I'll just open it. 10x's less hassle than renaming the 843920832901432 preview files I own, lol.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
I go the "folder" name route.
But then I reorganized my 10x's less hassle than renaming the 843920832901432 preview files I own, lol.
this is what I am doing....and so far I really really like have that preview within each designers folder right there instead of having to look through each kit to see what I have....did I mention my SSD folder is 67 gigs
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Clingerman View Post
you know, i think i'll start including both again. I used to because I'd heard both requests (I myself am a rename to folder type with my scrap stuff)
funny you mention this because as I did my previews for my Shawna kit some had the preview named and some didn't !!! and I wondered about that, now I know why...and yes, I also like to see the kit preview in the folder like everybody else {which is the one named folder} but I would love to have all the previews anmed my designer and kit also so I could save those in the designers MAIN folder
Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I don't include both because you get people that are upset because you have too many "extra" things in your folders sOooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.. I stick with just 1 folder preview :] Sorries. I try to keep the people who have crappy internet/download speeds happy.. The less crap in my folder the happier they are with me.. ^_^
Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post
I actually just prefer the folder one! LOL have to copy the new file each time and rename it folder for those who don't include one.
This is what I do too!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapShabby View Post
I'd actually be thrilled if the designers would put previews in them in the first place! Most do, but there are still some that don't, then I have to go back to the site and copy the preview out of the market. Drives me nuts!
You're right! I have come across a few with no previews as well, which *is* a bummer... And then there are Designers who add previews of the whole kit, previews of the papers, AND previews of the elements... I am thinking we might have to file all of this under "You cannot please everybody all the time," right?!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:10 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Please don't any of y'all get mad at me for saying this, but I don't think it's fair to ask the designers to add steps to their routine(s).

As La said (and is obvious from the numerous threads there have been about the way we all organize our files), there are sooooooo many different ways people do it that there's no way the designers could accommodate everyone's needs. No matter how they do it, there's going to be somebody who wants it another way.

I personally don't mind renaming a folder or two even if it does take a little extra time. I'd rather free up the designers' time for creating more yummy stuff for us to buy!

My Blog: Quantum Leaps