Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default m4p Converter software?

I got a new android phone this week, and I want to upload my music for streaming on my phone. MOST of my music uploaded successfully, but I have some songs that I purchased in itunes that are protected. That m4p format won't play in google music.

I'm not looking to share music or do anything illegal... I just want to be able to play them on my new phone. I've googled for software, but it's sorta overwhelming with all of the options. Most things seem to be either a free trial (with a time limit of 3 minutes per song) or they look shady.

Does anyone have any software that you've used successfully that you can recommend?

It's not a HUGE deal if I can't do it. I still have the majority of my songs on google music. It would just be nice to have my whole collection over there.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I dont' know if this will work or not - but when I am cutting music (for skating) that I purchased off of iTunes, I first burn it onto a CD. Then I rip it off the CD - and it's in a different format that I can then work with in my music editing software. Maybe that will work for you?

Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I considered doing that, but I have 1000+ songs from itunes. LOL That might take a little time.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have something called m4a converter, use it for converting songs bought on iTunes into .mp3, because my computer at work doesn't play .m4a and I'm more used to that format anyway. It's free and it seems like it OK (not shady, well hopefully).

ETA: If there's a difference between m4p and m4a, then feel free to ignore this. My iTunes songs are m4a.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks! I'm not sure if it'll work or not, but I'm definitely willing to give it a shot!
Old 10-01-2012, 03:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I use itunes to convert to mp3 all the time so you should be able to do it as well. Let me go look at how I do that and I'll come back with instructions.

Ok, under Advanced you should be able to select Create mp3 version and you should be good to go.

Last edited by FireWolf; 10-01-2012 at 03:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Unfortunately, I can't do it in itunes because they are itunes protected files. So, they don't WANT you to be able to do it. LOL
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

iTunes used to put a DRM file in that made it so that you couldn't use their media in anything except Apple products, so that may be what you are running into. I had that problem with several of my older iTunes songs when I was syncing my songs to my Android. I purchased DRMemoval software and ran all of my songs through it and now can sync everything. The one I bought was from iSkysoft. It removes the file and resaves it so that you can use it with non-Apple products. I hated to spend more money to be able to use things I'd already purchased once but it was an easier option than many of the free fixes that I found while searching.

What app are you using to get your music onto your Android? I use DoubleTwist but wondered what else was out there.

*Edited to add that I just went and looked and it looks like the software I used was about $35. Here is a link to some free options that iSkysoft gives for DRM removal. After reading those options I decided just shelling out the money was easiest for me. I'm lazy like that. LOL

http://www.iskysoft.com/article/remo...om-itunes.html

Last edited by HeatherKS; 10-01-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Thanks Heather! I was hoping to find a free option because, like you, I hated to pay for something I've already purchased. But honestly, I'm thinking that might be the easiest option.

I'm using Google Music Player for syncing to my android. The awesome thing is that I can have my entire music library (once I figure out these protected files! LOL) uploaded into the google cloud. So, by loading the app onto my phone, I can play my music without having to actually save it on my phone. So, it doesn't take up storage space. It streams from google (using your data connection), BUT you can choose to mark them as available offline if you don't want to be connected every time you listen. I haven't gotten that far yet, so I'm not sure how easy it is. But I have sprint unlimited data, so it isn't really a concern for me.