Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Thumbs down School Fundraisers

There was recently a news article (that I can't find right now), I'm not sure if it's just local or provincial, but it was something along the lines of schools are no longer allowed to sell chocolate for fundraising - trying to send a "healthy" message.

So yesterday, my kids bring home this magazine fundraiser. I am so annoyed. They were all excited, "we have to buy, buy, buy" and "we will win prizes..." blah blah blah. First of all, I don't want a magazine subscription. They lay around the house and my money ends up in the recycling bin when it's time to clean up. Secondly, I just looked up a few subscription online and they are substantially cheaper if you order them through the magazine specific website. Why on earth would I pay double the price just for the fundraiser??

Now my kids are going to be upset and disappointed that Mommy isn't going to waste her money and buy these dumb subscriptions through the school. Isn't that a little unfair to them?

I know I'm ranting a little here. I want food & chocolate...consumable products. lol

How do you feel about school fundraising campaigns?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm with you... If I'm going to buy something, I want it to be at least good. Our local FFA sells chicken strips, bacon, and sausage from a local/ high quality company and I look forward to it every year. They are delicious! I actually stock up because I know I will be sad when I run out.

Oh and a magazine subscription would exactly excite me either.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I, for one, hate school fundraisers! Period!
But, we have a few girls in our class at church that are in school & will be doing fundraisers throughout the year & we decided we will buy one thing from each of them the entire school year. One girl brought her first fundraiser on Wednesday night & it was cookie dough! I passed b/c there was no ingredient list & with allergies, I'm not risking wasting $15 for 4 dozen cookies! lol
Old 09-24-2011, 11:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by digideb View Post
I, for one, hate school fundraisers! Period!
But, we have a few girls in our class at church that are in school & will be doing fundraisers throughout the year & we decided we will buy one thing from each of them the entire school year. One girl brought her first fundraiser on Wednesday night & it was cookie dough! I passed b/c there was no ingredient list & with allergies, I'm not risking wasting $15 for 4 dozen cookies! lol
At some point the kids always do a Mom's Pantry fundraiser - cookie dough and other yummy stuff - and I LOVE this one. Their oatmeal raisin cookies are the bestest! I wonder if that's the same one Deb? You could probably get a list of ingredients, etc. on their website?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

DS attends a small private Christian school, so unfortunately we rely heavily on fundraisers and yes magazines are our "big" one. I hate them too..I just don't like reading magazines..so we end up with piles of them just like you said.

So far this year we've sold magazines, krispy kremes (didn't mind that one lol) and t-shirts. Our Fall Festival is coming up soon and so our fundraising is about to go through the roof. It gets exhausting and annoying for sure.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I am the official fundraiser at my daughter's school. Definitely do not try and sell them something they can get cheaper anywhere else. If you gonna do the food thing... keep it once a term.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I'm so glad we don't do any selling stuff for our fundraisers. We have a walk-a-thon in the fall and a fun fair in the late winter/early spring. And that's it. LOVE my school! LOL
Old 09-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ugh, fundraisers are a PIA. My favorites are actually the scouting ones. I love the boy scout popcorn and Christmas trees/wreaths and the Girl Scout cookies. At least make it stuff you would buy anyway or that tastes good.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wish ours did a walk-a-thon or fun fair!

My dd brought home a cookie dough one and cried when I told her we weren't going to try and sell them. She was so excited to sell sell sell and get prizes. I told her we could go buy a prize and I'd rather just send money straight to the school. She didn't like that answer.... Not a fan of fundraisers!
Old 09-24-2011, 12:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

They are still doing the magazine one? I'm so not a fan of school fundraising... especially when I was a single person and working with a team of 20+ moms and dads... Since the school only just gets a fraction of the money collected in fundraising - I would much rather just give them money directly - you know how many blank looks I got when I would say that... "but you have to buy something for the school to get the money..." Really? I like the fundraisers that our church does... the youth kids get together and make homemade pizzas or cookies... at least then I know I'm going to get something more than 6 cookies for $10.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am so not a fan of school fundraisers. Luckily, Ds doesnt get too excited about them so he isn't disappointed when we opt out.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Since the school only just gets a fraction of the money collected in fundraising - I would much rather just give them money directly - you know how many blank looks I got when I would say that... "but you have to buy something for the school to get the money..." Really?
Actually, I was going to point out that I would prefer just to donate money. :-)

Old 09-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I am SO not looking forward to when my DD has to do fundraisers. I hated doing them in school and I hate them to this day. I hate asking people to buy stuff. I'd rather just donate $$, too.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have one that I really like, a read-a-thon where 100% of the money goes to the school. Of the others, we participate in some and not others. I won't buy food or magazines--don't want either lying around the house, and I don't want to buy and eat the junk they sell in the food fundraisers. But I do buy some wrapping paper, go to the fun fair, donate items to and volunteer at the consignment sale, and buy Original Works (your child's artwork printed on magnets, totes, potholders, etc).
Old 09-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlathrall View Post
I'm with you... If I'm going to buy something, I want it to be at least good. Our local FFA sells chicken strips, bacon, and sausage from a local/ high quality company and I look forward to it every year.
I hear ya, Marla...I WISH Rachel's school did the Blue & Gold...if they do, then it'll be in the spring, because we just did the cookie dough/Okarche cinnamon rolls. We bought...none. LOL. Her best friend is selling the B&G for dance...but we still have some from the last fundraiser in the freezer. But it IS good stuff!
Old 09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I'm with Rebecca. I would much rather just pay money directly to the school rather than buy something I don't need or want, just so the school gets a fraction of that money. I don't remember there being so MANY fundraisers when I was in school...it seems like I am constantly bombarded at work with them!!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 09-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am so thankful our school does a big spaghetti dinner fundraiser. Olive Garden here provides the food (at cost or a little more) and they raffle off things, dunk booth, etc. So kinda like a Fall Festival but not themed. People donate towards baskets for prizes and local companies donate stuff too.

So far in the three years we've been there that is all we've had to do (except for one where they didn't want us to sell anything just give them names and addresses to market to...I passed on that one...seriously not going to sell out my family/friends).

I was the fundraiser/treasurer for my class in high school, so I loathe them. For preschool, t-ball whatever, I just make a small donation and call it good.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallMoments View Post
I'm so glad we don't do any selling stuff for our fundraisers. We have a walk-a-thon in the fall and a fun fair in the late winter/early spring. And that's it. LOVE my school! LOL
We do a jog-a-thon and that is it!!!!!! Each year that is all we do. Every other year they add a spring carnival is the funding is needed. It is perfect! I love love love love it!!!!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I don't mind the fundraisers. What annoys the CRAP out of me are the assemblies the kids go to where they get them all hyped up to sell sell sell and win these prizes. My kids come home convinced that they have to sell all this crap to win more crap.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am the PTG president at our school and yes in charge of all our fundraisers for it....lol. However our school will not participate in assemblies and do not offer prizes for sales. We offer sorry the magazines to a spellathon and walkathon to cookie dough. We stress to our parents to choose the ones they like and disregard the ones that they don't. And yes there are some families who just donate monies instead of participating in the fundraisers. For me personally, I just do the cookie dough and then concentrate on Girl Scout cookies a few months later.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Hate 'em! My son's friend got my son to bring him inside on the SECOND day of school to try to sell something! That's when I had to explain to my son (8) what the "NO SOLICITING" sign means on our door - and I told him that means his friends, too! Being the coupon clipper and bargain shopper that I am, it irks me to no end to buy this crap... I don't think the schools understand just how hard it is when it's your kids, their friends, etc. are all doing this and you feel like you have to buy it! If I bought everything the kids had come to my door with just since school started this year, I would have dropped about $100. My husband says, "Oh, come on" so now, if the neighborhood kids hit me up for money, I tell them to talk to my husband 'cuz they're not getting another penny out of me! Just let me write a $25 check to MY kid's school and be done with it!
Old 09-24-2011, 10:19 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have never participated in the fund raisers where you have to buy something for them to get prizes etc...my kids don't even ask haha. I would much rather donate to a cause or help with an event to earn money through a walk a thon or auction from local participants..
Old 09-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscwgirl View Post
I don't mind the fundraisers. What annoys the CRAP out of me are the assemblies the kids go to where they get them all hyped up to sell sell sell and win these prizes. My kids come home convinced that they have to sell all this crap to win more crap.
I was going to say the same thing! In fact, if our school had those assemblies, I'd have my kids opt out because I really hate it when the schools pump up their expectations to win these junk prizes. Fortunately, our current school district doesn't seem to do these sorts of assemblies. I'd have my kids opt out of the assembly AND the fundraiser if they did!

What I hate are the gift wrap sales. Our previous school district had these sales. I mean, I really hate those gift wrap fundraisers. They are the ones that usually have the really awful prizes and I am sure it is because no one in their right mind wants to buy their horrid gift wrap! Please I really WOULD prefer to write a check. NO GIFT WRAP FUNDRAISERS!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

We do a "Block Walk/Carnvial" Fundraiser in the fall, along with T-shirts and the Entertainment Coupon Books. We also do the Sally Foster and Cookie Dough (which I don't love as much), it does feel like we are constantly trying to raise funds at the first of the year.

I'm the PTA President Elect this year. . . so I might try a couple of new things next year. Have you seen the "Spirit Sleeves/socks?" I use them during my races, especially when it starts out cold and then gets warm, you can just take them off. But, they might be fun for kids in their school colors, logo, etc.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanbanan View Post
We do a "Block Walk/Carnvial" Fundraiser in the fall, along with T-shirts and the Entertainment Coupon Books. We also do the Sally Foster and Cookie Dough (which I don't love as much), it does feel like we are constantly trying to raise funds at the first of the year.

I'm the PTA President Elect this year. . . so I might try a couple of new things next year. Have you seen the "Spirit Sleeves/socks?" I use them during my races, especially when it starts out cold and then gets warm, you can just take them off. But, they might be fun for kids in their school colors, logo, etc.
Like the t-shirts because my kids can wear them on spirit days.

Like the cookie dough because my kids will eat cookies.

Like book fairs. My kids read.

Walks are fine. Walking is exercise. Spending time outdoors is a good thing. Carnivals are good too.

Don't like the entertainment coupon books. To get any benefit out of them, you have to spend more money and we never really use them enough to make them worth it.

Still hate the gift wrap. I really do. I buy my gift wrap at the dollar store. I re-use gift bags. I have been known to use the Sunday comics as gift wrap.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
What I hate are the gift wrap sales. Our previous school district had these sales. I mean, I really hate those gift wrap fundraisers. They are the ones that usually have the really awful prizes and I am sure it is because no one in their right mind wants to buy their horrid gift wrap! Please I really WOULD prefer to write a check. NO GIFT WRAP FUNDRAISERS!
The gift wrap ones are one of the few I like LOL. My neighbor kid does them every year and they have the BEST wrapping paper! Really thick and lined on the inside (or reversible). It's a little pricey for the little bit you get, but I like it!
Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I dislike fundraisers. Around here, there's one main company. If you use their fundraiser, they'll give you carnival games when your school has a fun night... and the fun nights are the big fundraisers for the schools in my kids' district. They have carnival games in classrooms, chili cook-off in the cafeteria, cake walk in the gym, raffles for kids and adults. It's insanely crowded. So in order to use those games, the school has to do the fund raiser, which is gift wrap and knick knacks. I hate it. From K-5th grade, thats' what they had.

My youngest is finally out of elementary school, so hopefully we're done with that. My two oldest are in high school and don't bring home any fund raiser stuff and the youngest is in in intermediate school. So far their fundraiser was moms selling locker organizers during open house.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianka View Post
Actually, I was going to point out that I would prefer just to donate money. :-)
Rachel's school did that last year...just asked parents to donate (they sent out non-binding commitment forms at the beginning of the year) because let's face it, we all hate the fundraisers. I'm guessing that not enough people donated because this year, we're back to fundraising.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we have a buy-out option. instead of trying to sell $200 worth of products, i just write a check for $75. my kids don't bug anyone.

we DO sell girl scout cookies and entertainment books to our immediate close friends.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:08 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our PTO does not do any take home fundraiser at all. We have a fall festival every year and it is a huge money maker. In addition to the tickets for games and food there we have a raffle and silent auction. It raises enough money for all the PTO sponsored events for the year.

At our previous school we had 3 fundraisers a year and I hated them. I don't mind the organization fundraisers (FFA, Scouts, etc.) because they are the same every year and are good quality items.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

Our school sells overpriced crap twice a year - right now it's various holiday wrapping paper, really cheap looking jewelry & knick knacks. I live in a rural area, we can't go door to door, since the nearest door is a quarter mile away, & DH's office has a "no selling" policy so he can't take the catalog to work. Not to mention I hate asking people to buy things I have no intention of buying myself. Now if they sold cookie dough or donuts I'd be happier about asking friends to buy it.

The kids come home all hyped up claiming they can win an iPad, but it isn't an actual iPad, it's a screen tablet that has 10 games loaded on it AND they have to sell 500 items to get it!

I explain the situation to them & they are disappointed but seem happy I gave them each $25 to take in to the teacher in lieu of selling things.

Last edited by Stacey42; 09-25-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

on top of the regular wrapping paper fnudraiser, our school does a guilt free fundraiser. you can buy your way out of participating. the kids are a bit bummed that they don't win a prize, but it is better in the long run - the school gets all the money i wold have spent on too expensive wrapping paper.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Our school, thankfully, has gotten on board the walk-a-thons, read-a-thons, and if we make enough money in those, we get to bypass the traditional candy/magazine/entertainment book/gift wrap junk. However, it seems if you join a club or team, you're not immune, ugh! I'm like a lot of people, I would rather just give you the money than make my kids walk the neighborhood and try to sell to people the other two dozen kids in the neighborhood have already hit.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

We just did Krispy Kremes so far this year and it did pretty well.

Last year we did the shaped pasta http://www.funpastafundraising.com/. I thought it was a great idea because I could sell to out of state people and ship it, but in the end it really didn't make much money.

Being on the PTO, I understand the importance of them...but I still hate doing them.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hate the fundraisers. Our elementary school has an annual carnival and silent auction, that's a lot of fun and is successful. They used to do various fundraisers on top of that, food/gift wrap, you name it. A couple years ago we (PTA) opted to do a fall donation drive. You get an envelope sent home and the drive lasts a little over a month. Love it. I'd much rather write a check and know that it all goes to the school.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperboutique View Post
How do you feel about school fundraising campaigns?
They suck and we don't do them!!! I refuse...most of the time the money isn't even used for *MY* kids!!! So instead every year at open house I ask my kid's teachers what THEY need for the classroom and I purchase it for them!! It's usually ordinary stuff like Kleenex, gallon Ziploc bags, hand sanitizer, paper towels ect... and they are so very much appreciative of that!!! Then usually after Christmas I send a note with the kids for the teacher and ask them what needs replenished and I send it in again!! It's usually way cheaper then what I would spend on a fundraiser and I don't' have any crap laying around my house!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow