Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Homeschoolers?

I know we had a group of homeschool families a few years ago and we kept weekly threads with school stuff and blog posts and such. Just supporting each other. I homeschooled both my kids for 2 years several years ago, they went back to school for 2 years and after Christmas I had to pull my dd out of middle school.

So... I'm actually homeschooling again Didn't plan on this. My ds is in 11th grade and he's fine at the high school, so I'm only schooling the one this time. I'm planning on dusting off the ol' blog so I have a way of reconnecting with other homeschoolers again.

Anyone else?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

not me.... I quit after 12 years of homeschooling. I was so burnt out and done. Have fun with that :P
Old 01-23-2015, 11:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

LOL! 12 years... yikes!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I homeschool my 7 and 5 year olds. My 7 year old has a communication disorder that requires he have an aide while in public school and the school we're zoned for told me he was too much of a hassle to deal with and told me to take him elsewhere so I kept him home.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I homeschool my 7 and 5 year olds. My 7 year old has a communication disorder that requires he have an aide while in public school and the school we're zoned for told me he was too much of a hassle to deal with and told me to take him elsewhere so I kept him home.
Too much of a hassle???? That's crazy!
Old 01-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
my jaw dropped when i read your comment! i'm dumbfounded by that.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah that was my exact reaction. It broke my heart. So I'm keeping him home until who knows when. He has trouble with sentence structure and says stuff weird, so he gets made fun of a lot, but (heartbreakingly) he doesn't realize he's being made fun of and thinks the kids are being his friends. Sorry, I'm such a downer on here. Usually I'm not. I love homeschooling. It just breaks my heart that people are so mean. My husband is a bit odd as well and just yesterday at work, he was walking and talking with somebody and another guy stopped them and said, "Oh so you brought the mouth breather huh?" to the guy my hubby was with. If you don't know, mouth breather is a term for someone that is so stupid they never learned to breathe through their nose. I'm just feeling sad that my hubby gets made fun of by adults all the time; adults who are having kids and teaching their kids to make fun of my kids.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

urgh, as someone who studies in the disability field and will be working in the field at the end of the year this situation makes me cringe

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-23-2015, 11:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh, Adi. Wow. I'm speechless.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yeah that was my exact reaction. It broke my heart. So I'm keeping him home until who knows when. He has trouble with sentence structure and says stuff weird, so he gets made fun of a lot, but (heartbreakingly) he doesn't realize he's being made fun of and thinks the kids are being his friends. Sorry, I'm such a downer on here. Usually I'm not. I love homeschooling. It just breaks my heart that people are so mean. My husband is a bit odd as well and just yesterday at work, he was walking and talking with somebody and another guy stopped them and said, "Oh so you brought the mouth breather huh?" to the guy my hubby was with. If you don't know, mouth breather is a term for someone that is so stupid they never learned to breathe through their nose. I'm just feeling sad that my hubby gets made fun of by adults all the time; adults who are having kids and teaching their kids to make fun of my kids.
Aww. Well, it's so good you have the option to keep him home and safe with you. My dd (12) started having major anxiety about school at the beginning of the year and instead of getting better it's only gotten worse. We have a pretty rough middle school and she's coming from a very well-controlled elementary school (teachers in our district like to send their kids to it because it's so good) and is just in culture shock. She's so tiny too. She is the 2nd to smallest kid in her grade and the other girl who is smaller than her was getting bullied pretty badly.

She is finally starting to sleep better and even said today, "Wow, I actually feel... HAPPY right now."

Old 01-23-2015, 11:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlekiwi View Post
urgh, as someone who studies in the disability field and will be working in the field at the end of the year this situation makes me cringe
What will you be doing?
Old 01-24-2015, 12:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgal View Post

She is finally starting to sleep better and even said today, "Wow, I actually feel... HAPPY right now."

Oh man. That would break my heart that school was so rough for her! Why are kids so mean?

Old 01-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I cannot imagine a school telling someone it was too great a burden to provide assistance to a child in need. That makes me so sad, I'm sorry that happened to you.

I ALSO cannot imagine an ADULT person saying something so awful, especially right in front of the person they are intending to make fun of. That people like that exist in this world makes me scared for my own kids and only all the more determined to mold them into decent people with big, caring, and kind hearts.

I don't homeschool. I just wanted to chime in with my disbelief.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 01-24-2015, 12:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't homeschool. I have considered it more recently. I had planned to homeschool before my oldest started school but she thrives in the classroom environment so public school was perfect for her. My son is excelling academically but has a few peer issues that makes me want to pull him. I work at his school and I see exactly what is happening at school and it is no big deal for the most part, but my son is quite sensitive and doesn't express his feelings well without emotional outbursts and that makes it hard.

Anyway, Adrienne, I am so upset that I just want to scream. I cannot believe the school reacted in such a way. That makes me so angry. That would never, ever happen at our school. Yes, sometimes it is hard to accommodate a child because we are understaffed, but we would never turn a child away or tell a parent that we couldn't be bothered. And the situation with your husband? OMG. What an idiot that person was! Seriously? Does everyone have to think and act exactly the same to be accepted? Ridiculous!
Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Val, I was homeschooled for 3 years starting in middle school (starting 7th grade). My school was terrible and after a terrible year in 6th grade I had a lot of anxiety about going back to the school. It was culture shock for sure. I wasn't reaching my potential at that school... academically or socially, so my parents chose to keep me home.

I strongly believe the Jr. High years are the best ones to be schooled at home. It was great to be 'free' of a lot of the peer pressure crap I had to worry about at school. I did my academics at home and was able to focus on my hobbies. I spent a lot of time with my close friends, other homeschooler groups, kids at youth group, and horses. Lots of time at the barn!

Anyways, I teach my kids who are in K (she's 6 in 4 days!) and 2nd/3rd (he's 8). We have a lot of homeschoolers in the area as well as friends who do, the support is great and I plan to teach them as long as it's working for us.

Adi... that's unbelievable that they just rejected him!!! Just so wrong! I'm glad you were able to keep him at home. So terrible about your hubby, too. Gosh, people are jerks!

It would be cool if we checked up on one another here on the forums. I'll try to remember to start a thread every week or so. Sounds fun!

Old 01-24-2015, 12:47 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for all the love ladies. I didn't realize how heavily all of that was weighing on me until this thread. I promise I'll be more light and happy in coming posts!

Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
What will you be doing?
Not sure yet to be honest - if I found a job in the needs assessment/personal planning and service coordination field that would be ideal but a lot depends on what jobs are out there. I will be doing a Community Development paper as well as a Community counselling paper so I also can apply for other social and human service work as well. I plan to apply for Community Development graduate program at the local council as well.

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-24-2015, 01:23 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

It dumbfounds me everyday how this world and the people in it have become such heartless, idiotic beings! To make people feel that way is just heartbreaking! And to adults acting that way, it makes my heart hurt! People just do not understand what they are teaching their children by acting/saying whatever they please! And schools, teachers, admins, etc are supposed to be there to help your children not ostracize them.

My dear mother worked as a long-term sub for about 2-3 years in the Special Ed department while I was in middle school and then teachers wanted to help, but now not so much!

Adi, Sorry those idiots didn't see the potential of some great people just because they consider them "different"!

Old 01-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I homeschool my 10 and 8 yo boys (with a huge amount of help from my MIL who is a retired principal and teacher.) This is the first year I've had both home; last year, it was just the 8 yo. It has been a great fit for both boys, but for different reasons. I also have a 5 yo girl and a 2 yo boy who has Down syndrome. I'm still on the fence about what to do with my 5 yo daughter as she's very social and the school where she would go to kindy is literally around the corner from our house. My 2 yo will start special ed preschool in the same building next fall.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Val, I was homeschooled for 3 years starting in middle school (starting 7th grade). My school was terrible and after a terrible year in 6th grade I had a lot of anxiety about going back to the school. It was culture shock for sure. I wasn't reaching my potential at that school... academically or socially, so my parents chose to keep me home.

I strongly believe the Jr. High years are the best ones to be schooled at home. It was great to be 'free' of a lot of the peer pressure crap I had to worry about at school. I did my academics at home and was able to focus on my hobbies. I spent a lot of time with my close friends, other homeschooler groups, kids at youth group, and horses. Lots of time at the barn!

Anyways, I teach my kids who are in K (she's 6 in 4 days!) and 2nd/3rd (he's 8). We have a lot of homeschoolers in the area as well as friends who do, the support is great and I plan to teach them as long as it's working for us.

Adi... that's unbelievable that they just rejected him!!! Just so wrong! I'm glad you were able to keep him at home. So terrible about your hubby, too. Gosh, people are jerks!

It would be cool if we checked up on one another here on the forums. I'll try to remember to start a thread every week or so. Sounds fun!
That was so encouraging to read. Thank you! I homeschooled my ds 7th & 8th grade so he wouldn't have to go to our middle school (the one I just pulled my dd from). He's very socially awkward, and extreme introvert, and we knew that that school would just crush his spirit. I thought my dd would be fine there. She is NOTHING like her brother. A lesson that assumptions are not always correct, even when they involve your own kids (who you are supposed to know inside and out.)

I would love having a weekly thread or something. Esp as I'm out of practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
I homeschool my 10 and 8 yo boys (with a huge amount of help from my MIL who is a retired principal and teacher.) This is the first year I've had both home; last year, it was just the 8 yo. It has been a great fit for both boys, but for different reasons. I also have a 5 yo girl and a 2 yo boy who has Down syndrome. I'm still on the fence about what to do with my 5 yo daughter as she's very social and the school where she would go to kindy is literally around the corner from our house. My 2 yo will start special ed preschool in the same building next fall.
Hooray for another current homeschooler!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, my ds started back in public school his freshman year of high school. I thought I didn't have what it takes to homeschool him these more advanced classes. I'm reconsidering that with my dd. I was just afraid and it wasn't based on anything other than other people's opinions. He maintaines a 4.0 gpa but is mostly bored because he can't excel in several of his classes and isn't allowed to take some of the more advanced ones because he has to be a senior. Just another example of public school holding kids back! He still doesn't like the kids there, but enjoys the learning. For example, his free elective (ie. 'fun class') last trimester was physics, lol!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:10 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

That is so sad, Adi - people are mean... makes me scare how society will be in another decade...

Me!!! I'm a homeschooling parent!! I have a 7 year old - so 2nd grade or so... he is a very, very social child - total opposite than me... haha... he loves being homeschooled! I never, never, thought I would be homeschooling... but here I am and I have to say I love it - it is a thrill to see J's eyes light up when he understands something!! haha...
Old 01-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
That is so sad, Adi - people are mean... makes me scare how society will be in another decade...

Me!!! I'm a homeschooling parent!! I have a 7 year old - so 2nd grade or so... he is a very, very social child - total opposite than me... haha... he loves being homeschooled! I never, never, thought I would be homeschooling... but here I am and I have to say I love it - it is a thrill to see J's eyes light up when he understands something!! haha...
You must've started right after I quit, lol!

Yay! We'll all catch up on Monday
Old 01-24-2015, 11:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

First off - Adi - Unbelievable!!! Some people are just plain ignorant.

Quote:
Oh, my ds started back in public school his freshman year of high school. I thought I didn't have what it takes to homeschool him these more advanced classes. I'm reconsidering that with my dd. I was just afraid and it wasn't based on anything other than other people's opinions. He maintaines a 4.0 gpa but is mostly bored because he can't excel in several of his classes and isn't allowed to take some of the more advanced ones because he has to be a senior. Just another example of public school holding kids back! He still doesn't like the kids there, but enjoys the learning. For example, his free elective (ie. 'fun class') last trimester was physics, lol!
This is too bad - thankfully DD's high school has more than one program where Freshman can take courses usually reserved for juniors and seniors- as in physics, calculus, biochemistry, intro to engineering, etc. I am thankful every day that we have such a great school system in our city and I feel for the kids who struggle and the schools are so unaccommodating
Old 01-25-2015, 12:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My son is in a small private school that we both just love. But I know completely in my heart that if we didn't have that little school (or couldn't afford it), I would be homeschooling.

I also have a friend with a middle schooler with anxiety that manifests as selective mutism. They really really tried to get her to adjust to a school situation, but it just never worked. After a couple years, they finally pulled her out of school to homeschool. Now she is doing well, finding her own strength and voice in a way that she could never do.

Yeah for homeschool Mom's!
Old 01-25-2015, 07:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post

I also have a friend with a middle schooler with anxiety that manifests as selective mutism. They really really tried to get her to adjust to a school situation, but it just never worked. After a couple years, they finally pulled her out of school to homeschool. Now she is doing well, finding her own strength and voice in a way that she could never do.

Yeah for homeschool Mom's!
Oh good. That pretty much convinces me that she wouldn't have necessarily 'gotten over it' if I would've made her push through. I'm glad she didn't deal with this for years!
Old 01-25-2015, 12:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have a friend with a little girl who has selective mutism. People don't realize what a struggle that is until they see it first hand. I'm glad they are able to homeschool her!

Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Oh good. That pretty much convinces me that she wouldn't have necessarily 'gotten over it' if I would've made her push through. I'm glad she didn't deal with this for years!
Yep. You just don't 'get over it'. I think if her Mom had not been there to really help her through some challenging years and decisions that she would be suicidal at this point. That is just not the place to push somebody.....
Old 01-26-2015, 08:58 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I am a little new to the SS forums. Just chiming on to say that we are a homeschool family. I have been homeschooling my son since he was in kindergarten. He is in high school now. I am so sad to see other people having trouble with traditional schools. I hope homeschooling helps.

MyScrapbookEvolution.com
Old 01-26-2015, 09:10 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy S View Post
I am a little new to the SS forums. Just chiming on to say that we are a homeschool family. I have been homeschooling my son since he was in kindergarten. He is in high school now. I am so sad to see other people having trouble with traditional schools. I hope homeschooling helps.
Hi! I never thought I could homeschool the high school years which is why I put my ds back in school starting at 9th grade, but I'm starting to picture it being possible with my dd. I was too scared and let other people's opinions get to me with my ds.