Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-10-2021, 11:48 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default What does 60 look like these days?

The older I get, the harder it is for me to even guestimate how old people are. Frankly, when you start hitting 60, some people look old and some don't, depending on too many factors to count. I'm 55 and I think I look pretty okay for my age, thanks to the good skin I got from my mom; she barely had wrinkles in her 70's, but I have no idea if it is true of if it is my own vanity. But I do know that I remember both my grandmothers looking older than people do these days. So is that a false memory, or does 60 look younger these days?

Truthfully, I am probably messed in my head, because as bad as it sounds, I am not interested in dating because I see the men around my age as old, like I think of my grandpa, and I don't want to date my grandpa. BUT I don't see myself as old in the same way. Is that my vanity, or is it just the way I feel about myself and my life?

Does that make sense to any of you, or am a just a whackadoodle?
Old 11-11-2021, 12:53 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I think 60 looks younger these days, but like you I have no idea if that's a true thing or if it's me looking at it with middle-aged adult eyes instead of kid/young adult eyes!
Old 11-11-2021, 01:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I agree. 60 is young. "Grandma" does not have the same connotation that it did when I was young. My kids' grandmother is actually older than mine was when I was a kid, but she's like a thousand times younger, both in the way she acts and in the way she looks.

I totally can see how you would look at men as being "old" and not see yourself the same way. I don't think that's vanity; I just think that's how it is.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:54 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I was almost 60 when my avatar photo was taken 7 years ago.

I have found a lot of how someone looks when they are older is in the mindset of the person or even because of their health. Those few years I had the dental problems, I looked older but with the resolution of the issues and a change of mindset I've been told I look great.

Not too long along I ran into a guy I dated over 25 years ago in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. He is 10 years younger than I am and has always been nice looking and physically fit since he was a fireman. Even after a non-job accident where he ended up losing a leg, he still looked good after his ordeal of recovering. But I almost didn't recognize him. He honestly looked like he was 80+ years old. In our short conversation, I found out that his mother's cause of death 6 months earlier had been cancer and COVID. After her death, he found out he also had cancer and had been going through treatment. Had I not talked to him, I would have had no idea and thought he had not aged well (unlike his dad).

But, honestly, I think men in their 50's/60's and even 70's that do take care of themselves are much better looking than younger guys. Especially the silver foxes
Old 11-11-2021, 10:12 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I definitely think it's a mindset and your health.

My hubby and I are 57/58 and we get a lot of comments about how old we don't look. The other day at my hubby's new job they guessed his age was about 45. I work with a lot of younger moms and they all think I'm their age - somewhere in my 40's, they're shocked when I tell them my age and that I'm a grandma. Both my husband and I are active and also have the mindset that we want to do everything we can to be as fit as possible as we age. We are very thankful for our good health and work hard to stay healthy by exercising and eating well.

One thing I do contribute to us looking young is that we have always looked young for our age - we'd answer the door when we were first married and they'd ask if our mom was home, nope, doesn't live here.

So, with that thought in mind I'm off to do a few miles on my elliptical since it's raining here and I don't feel like walking in the rain this morning.

Old 11-11-2021, 10:34 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I totally understand what you are saying. I think a lot of it is lifestyle and fashion style are different now which helps with people looking younger and not old grandma like. I am 42, but consistently for about 10 years now, people have guessed that I am 8 years younger. This is pretty ironic because I became single at 30 and it was always guys 8 years younger asking me out. Like over and over even ones who fully knew my age. I met my husband 7 years ago and guess what, he's 8 years younger than me. lol So, go for a younger man then, Lorie. No reason to have to date what you think looks older at all.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:23 PM
Banned

profile gallery

I think 60 is definitely younger looking than it used to be. But then I look at my life compared to the lives of my grandparents and it's no mystery as to why. I get to toss my dirty clothes into a machine and it washes them for me. I can order take-out and have someone else cook for me and if I choose to cook myself, someone else has taken care of most of the growing of the food and preparation for me. When I turn on the faucet, water comes out without me having to deal with a well. Don't even get me started on the joys of indoor plumbing lol

As hard as life is these days, it's not physically hard like it was for generations before us and that ages us differently. For better or for worse.

And I totally understand the not dating part, but I prefer my independence, not so much because of the old men hanging about.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure if it's the fact that we are aging with everybody else but I also have a hard time telling people's age past their teenage years. When I was younger I could guess easier.
Old 11-13-2021, 02:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I think that people generally look younger these days myself. My grandma was 44 when she became my guardian. She was 'old' then. She had a lot health problems and aged early. Anyway, I think about TV characters back in the day too, like Golden Girls. Now we women much older in roles where they seem much younger. Not sure if I'm explaining it well or not.

Also, men my age look old to me. My husband does not, but we've grown up together so he just looks like himself to me. Anyway, I have no attraction to those men who look old to me, even when I know they are my age, so I can relate to that. If I weren't married, I sure wouldn't be dating.

I'm terrible at guessing ages these days. I am in a facebook group where a woman posted saying "no one can believe I'm 40". I honestly thought she looked quite a bit older than 40, but didn't want to say it. Others say they are 60 and I'm like 'no way'!

I work at a school. Kids want to guess my age all the time. One will say I must be a teenager and the next will say I'm 70. LOL It is hilarious. The other day my son, who is sweeping in our building after school, walked over to me and the kids were so confused. They were like "how do you have a son that old?" LOL
Old 11-18-2021, 10:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm 64 and my avi is recent. I was blessed with good skin and hardy any wrinkles. I try to eat well and moisturize but mostly its genetics, so thx mom and dad
Old 11-19-2021, 09:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You look amazing! I didn't know you were 55, maybe I did and just didn't compute. LOL!!!!

Old 11-19-2021, 10:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

well... as I'm 46, I think anyone who is younger than 40 as just a baby. haha. I defiantly think today's 60s isn't our grandparent's 60s. When I look at old videos during our history class... those that were that age and older looked like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders... life was a lot harder back then. With today's modern equipment, living longer, beauty telling us to use this cream or dress this way, and hollywood trying to change to embrace those over 30 in movies... and some actors deciding to show it's okay to age gracefully without added procedures... your age is just a number.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:54 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalis View Post
You look amazing! I didn't know you were 55, maybe I did and just didn't compute. LOL!!!!
Since I am the one who said she was 55, I am going to assume you are talking to me and say thank you! That comment made you my favorite person of the day.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
well... as I'm 46, I think anyone who is younger than 40 as just a baby. haha. I defiantly think today's 60s isn't our grandparent's 60s. When I look at old videos during our history class... those that were that age and older looked like they had the weight of the world on their shoulders... life was a lot harder back then. With today's modern equipment, living longer, beauty telling us to use this cream or dress this way, and hollywood trying to change to embrace those over 30 in movies... and some actors deciding to show it's okay to age gracefully without added procedures... your age is just a number.
This is so true!