Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Talk to me about fertility monitors...

Okay, so DH & I have been TTC for over 3 1/2 years now with no luck! We've been considering a fertility monitor & don't want to just buy one w/out asking around b/c they're not cheap! So, we have been looking at 2 of them, the ClearBlue Easy Fertility Monitor & the OvaCue Fertility Monitor. Right now, we're not really worried about the cost just b/c we want a baby so bad! So, the double the price on the OvaCue doesn't bother us, especially since you don't have to buy the test sticks too! So, has anyone ever used either of these? What did you think?
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have experience, but I just wanted to say that I hope you get a baby soon!! I'll be thinking of you!

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks, Meegs! Seeing that gorgeous baby boy of yours sure makes me want one more!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I've heard great things about the CBE and it's the one my RE's office recommends. If we weren't doing monitored cycles I would seriously consider one myself.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Deb I had the ClearBlue Monitor when we were going through infertility. It worked okay (and they may have made improvements since that was 6+ years ago) but honestly after using it a few months I realized I would have been better off just sticking to the OTC ovulation tests and charting my BBT. But by then I was 3 years into it and knew my cycles and could pretty much tell you when I was ovulating without even taking a test.

But that's just my opinion...I know some people really love theirs and swear by them.

Last edited by nikkiARNGwife; 06-28-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

also..they are WAAYY cheaper these days. I paid over 250 for mine back then.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiARNGwife View Post
Deb I had the ClearBlue Monitor when we were going through infertility. It worked okay (and they may have made improvements since that was 6+ years ago) but honestly after using it a few months I realized I would have been better off just sticking to the OTC ovulation tests and charting my BBT. But by then I was 3 years into it and knew my cycles and could pretty much tell you when I was ovulating without even taking a test.

But that's just my opinion...I know some people really love theirs and swear by them.
good to know in case we decide to try again without re intervention.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, I suck at charting! I've tried it 3 times & I end up giving up on it! lol Yeah, I usually know when I will get my periods, but I don't even know when I ovulate. I don't ovulate every month. It's pretty much every other month, but can be hit or miss & I just can't tell! So, I'm thinking this might be a better route for us!
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I can't advise you, but I wanted you to know I'm praying for you and crossing my fingers for you. <3

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 06-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used the CBE when we first TTC over 7 years ago. It didn't work well for me because I didn't ovulate regularly. We wound up doing 6 months of Clomid (with no luck), then went to injections and an IUI cycle and got pregnant that first month. Same thing with the injections and IUI for my 2nd pregnancy as well. And I remember paying $250 for it when I got mine and then sold it on ebay when I was done.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Have you tried temp charts? I did those when I was doing fertility treatments..a pain, but cheaper. LOL. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

i personally have no experience. but, my aunt used the clearblue monitor and didn't like it. she bought one, and it wasn't working properly. so she had to buy a second. and she had nothing but issues using it.

also, i've had lots of family/family friends who have had fertility problems. and 90% of the time, as soon as they stopped actively trying, they conceived. my dad's best friend, he and his wife tried for four years with no luck. three months after they stopped trying, they went away. and six weeks later, she was pregnant. my aunt? same thing. my mom's close friend? same thing. so maybe taking a break from actively charting and trying might be the trick. (: just my two cents.

no matter what, i hope you have success with whatever you try!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I was lent one but never ended up using it since by then we were in the process of IVF... but I will say that I would try to do your charting along with it... because just because you get a surge doesn't mean you actually ovulate... the only way you can tell you ovulate is by taking your temps and seeing it rise and stay risen. When we were trying for our first this is what would happen... I'd get positive ovulation sticks but since I was taking my temps I could tell I wasn't actually ovulating... an u/s confirmed that I had PCOS and you could see all those eggs that were ready to ovulate and never did.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i had the CBE one too .. but i was also doing OTC sticks and charting my temps - i was a bit obsessed and yea, after a while i didn't really need any of all that, b/c i could just figure out my cycle on my own. that said, i'm really regular, it just too us forever to get PG (eventually had to do IUI ... ) ... GOOD LUCK

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by color of my heart View Post
also, i've had lots of family/family friends who have had fertility problems. and 90% of the time, as soon as they stopped actively trying, they conceived. my dad's best friend, he and his wife tried for four years with no luck. three months after they stopped trying, they went away. and six weeks later, she was pregnant. my aunt? same thing. my mom's close friend? same thing. so maybe taking a break from actively charting and trying might be the trick. (: just my two cents.
This is what happened to me. I actively charted my temp for a very long time. Nothing. Did a cycle of Clomid. Nothing. Completely gave up and stopped thinking about it. Pregnant in no time!

Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I never used one but tracked online using:

http://www.mymonthlycycles.com/

I wanted to do that for a while because it was cheaper and I figured with PCOS and trouble trying prior we'd need to, ummm, use our time wisely so to speak. Baby prayers for you!

Happily creating for Two More Days and Guest for Little Butterfly Wings June & July
Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by digideb View Post
Well, I suck at charting! I've tried it 3 times & I end up giving up on it! lol Yeah, I usually know when I will get my periods, but I don't even know when I ovulate. I don't ovulate every month. It's pretty much every other month, but can be hit or miss & I just can't tell! So, I'm thinking this might be a better route for us!
It may be better for you then to use a monitor. We had unexplained infertility. I had perfect cycles..I would look at my charts and they were the kind of charts that people who are TTC dream of and still we couldn't get pregnant. DH was fine (which he was proud of lol) I had every test in the book including surgery to check things out and no doctor could give us a reason why we weren't getting pregnant. We did 4 cycles of clomid/IUI's and yes then we finally gave up, stopped trying and got pregnant 3 months later all on our own. With DD we tried for nearly 2 years unsuccessfully and I gave up and then once again "surprise!"

BUT...I know you never want to hear that..oh my gosh I got so tired of people telling me "just stop trying and it'll happen". When you're in that sad, lonely, place...wanting one so badly, seeing practically everyone around you pregnant and having babies (or so it seems)...not trying is just about impossible to fathom, believe me I know.

Hang in there Deb...I know it will happen for you soon!

Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks for the input, hugs & prayers, ladies!
Nikki, you are SO right, I know so many people right now who are pregnant & while I'm thrilled for them, it's so heartbreaking & depressing!
I guess it really doesn't matter anymore. Last night, DH was all, "yeah, we definitely need to get one & see if it'll help us!" Now, he's like, we need to save the money & just keep trying. I'm sick of it! I feel like it's all my fault & that I'm just broken! DH will never understand how badly this is killing me inside! Sorry, I'm just having a rough time & obvsiously needed a little breakdown!
Anyway. Thanks again, ladies!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It took me forever to really get the hang of charting, but now that I do, I love it. I've been charting for almost 5 years. It's a pain to get used to it, but it can tell you so much.
Try looking for research studies and such that you qualify for. I'm in one right now and I think I've got anohter 3 cycles on it before I get a monitor(not sure which one, they ahve several different groups and don't tell you which one you are in).
Have you guys gone to an RE at all? I hope you get your BFP soon. I know how hard it is to struggle and try. I am not looking forward to going back to the whole TTC thing, but the end result will be worth it. I'm just hoping this loss didn't totally screw my body up.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Debster, I have no recommendations, but you know I'm so hopeful for you guys! Crossing fingers for a BFP real soon!
Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Aww Deb, don't feel bad. I learned an interesting new study being done today, after I was asked if I am going to make another grandchild for the grandparents. Anyway, they are now figuring out that most fertility problems and/or genetic problems might weigh more heavily on the males. This is because women are born with eggs that are an exact duplicate of the same DNA. Men produce new sperm all the time and as they age, the strength diminishes. Anyway, I just want to say that it is not good for you to blame yourself.
I use an app to see my days of fertility and ovulation day. Actually, one can only get pregnant 4 or 5 days per month. All I do is enter start of period and it tells me the rest.
Hang in there, things will be as they should.
BTW, I am not trying to get pregnant but I use that app just in case!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any info to pass on to you but want you to know you are in my prayers. I hope you are holding a precious baby in your arms soon!