Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default concert lens.

Okay, so DH & I just bought tickets for my first concert!! I am so freaking excited!!! So, I have a question. I have to first find out what they'll allow as far as a camera is concerned. But, if I have no limitations, which lens would be best. I imagine it'll be somewhat dark. I have my Nikon 18-55mm kit lens & then my baby, which is my 35mm 1.8. But, since it's my first concert, I don't know if that will be good enough. Help?!
ETA: I forgot to mention, that we will be on the FRONT ROW!

Last edited by digideb; 01-13-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Most likely you won't be allowed to take your camera. I have yet to be allowed to take mine. I couldn't even take it to the rodeo.

Have fun!!! Who are you going to see?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh, I hope I'll be able to! I'd be totally bummed to pay that much money & not be able to have a camera!
Oh! I didn't even mention who, did I?! lol It's Steven Curtis Chapman, Andrew Peterson & Josh Wilson!! CANNOT WAIT!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was able to take a point and shoot camera a couple years ago. Everyone waiting to get in had a camera, I swear. But they were all small p&s cameras... I don't know how they rule it - but from what I've heard/read -- if the camera looks fancy, they won't want you to use it. I'm pretty sure since cell phones have cameras in them now, they expect pics to be taken. But I think they want the pros to get the money shots, if you know what I mean. I think another thing that usually makes it more acceptable is no flash (even though you'll see them constantly through out the arena). But you might keep that in mind if you take one. As for lens - I have NO clue. Front row, I would think your 35mm will work just fine.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just want some good shots for ME. I don't care to sell them or try to get them published. I just want some to scrap and print for us to have at home. But, I can see why they wouldn't want people with nice cameras coming in to try to get shots to sell or anything.

So, I called the venue & they were like, "That's not up to us, you need to call Steven Curtis Chapman's people". So, I called his management, & they were like, "That's up to the venue!" LOL Yeah, big help! HAHAHA!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I went to a gig last year and took my Nikon D40 and got it confiscated for the whole gig, I didn't realise the rules then. People were allowed P&S's though.

It sucks that you can't get a clear answer from anyone!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know! I don't want to take my Nikon D7000 & it get taken away (& something happen to it, like them drop it) just because I can't get an answer from them! My P&S take THE crappiest pictures though! So, I'd probably do better with my iPhone, honestly! lol I guess I could take my D40x & not worry about it as much if I couldn't have it with me & something were to happen to it.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would contact the concert venue. Most likely you won't be allowed since it is considered a "professional" camera (can change lenses). Point and shoots are usually allowed because they are crappy anyway in dark conditions. ASK and if the venue doesn't know, try to find a way to ask the concert promoters. I went to a Third Day concert in November and NO ONE had dSLRs and I didn't even attempt to bring mine. Which reminds me I need to scrap a page!

And if for some reason you get the green light...the 35mm lens if you are in the front row! You will need that low app and the higher ISOs to get good shots. Make sure you keep the shutter speed up or you will get motion blur! That being said, I took pretty awesome shots with my old Tamron 28-300 3.6-6.3 lens. Over expose a tad and bring down in post processing. And shoot RAW!! But since you are so close anyway, the 35mm would be lighter and better suited!

Last edited by sprauncey1; 01-13-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

How exciting!!

Yeah - all the concerts I've been in they don't allow anything that looks like a professional camera... Where I've gone, they make those people take their cameras back to the car... and for those that smuggled it in... I've seen people kicked out... maybe you can borrow someone else's camera?
Old 01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

our concerts usually say if it has a detachable lens it's not allowed . SO I just take my P&S cause I don't want them handling my camera! lol

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 01-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When Andrew and I went to see Elton John and Billy Joel a couple years ago, the only rules on cameras were that it couldn't capture video and I couldn't use a tripod. I shot most of the concert with my zoom lens (75-300mm f/4-5.6) and a few with kit lens (18-55mm). Not the best lenses ever, but I really love the results, so I'm not complaining at all.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

None of our concert venues here allow any type of professional cameras to be taken in anymore (unless you have a special press type pass). You can only take in P&S cameras and they have to be small enough to fit in your pocket, none of the larger bridge-type P&S's and you're not allowed to take any type of video at all. About the only places I've been able to take my DSLR into with no issues lately have been sporting events (Chiefs & Royals games).
Old 01-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

The several venues that I have been to all have a no cameras with a detachable lens policy. You can check the website of the venue you are attending and see what their posted policy is.