Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Restless Leg Syndrome...

anyone have it?
What do you do/take for the pain? Since yesterday morning, I have been in the most awful pain! Like, wanting to chop my legs off kind of pain! I need to find something to help! Right now I'm on gabapentin, but it's not helping at all! I'm gonna talk to my Dr. about going back on Lyrica b/c it definitely helped. But, any OTC or homeopathic remedies?
Old 05-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to cardinalskate

I have a friend who talks about her restless leg a lot, and she told me to suggest Valerian root as a homeopathic alternative. It comes in capsules. It works, but you need to take it early enough, because it takes a little longer to kick in, like a couple hours.

Hope you find some relief!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Smile

Oh no, so sorry Deb! That sounds awful. I have never heard of it hurting so bad.

My special needs son has PLMD (Periodic Limb Movement Disorder) which keeps him awake at nights - it's basically Restless Leg Syndrome only he's unconscious when it occurs and it wakes him up.

They give him Requip for it. My MIL has RLS and she's treated with the same meds as my son.

I don't love giving my son meds for this, if there is a more natural approach, I would be interested in finding out more about it. I will have to google that Valerian root.

I hope you feel better, Deb! {hugs}

Public Relations for www.digitalscrapper.com
(Photoshop & PSE digital scrapbook training)
Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have it, but I'm honestly no help. The medicines they make to help with the pain or the sensation give me night terrors, but I haven't found any homeopathic stuff to help. I noticed it has gotten better since I've increased my potassium intake, but honestly, not enough that it would help you if the pain is that bad.

New Siggy Coming Soon
Old 05-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My RLS has improved a lot since cutting back drastically on sugar. I used to always drink tonic water with quinine in it. You have to check the bottle because not all tonic water has it, but I can get it here in a 2 L bottle. I would take a 30-minute walk in the evening and then drink a large glass of tonic water before bed. I still do the walk but don't always drink the tonic anymore since changing my diet seems to have helped even more.

I've heard others say that different things work for them - mustard before bed (like a tablespoon of it ), drinking coconut water, and an all natural remedy called "Restful Leg" - I haven't tried any of these though!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

How much Gabapentin are your taking? They put me on it 3 weeks ago for my restless leg issues (after 4 years!) and started me out at 300mgs & gave me a schedule to follow of upping the dose all the way to 2100mgs if needed. So far the 1200mgs seems to working.

Lyrica didn't work so well for me, though potassium & iron supplements did help for awhile.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much ladies!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalskate View Post
I have a friend who talks about her restless leg a lot, and she told me to suggest Valerian root as a homeopathic alternative. It comes in capsules. It works, but you need to take it early enough, because it takes a little longer to kick in, like a couple hours.

Hope you find some relief!
Thanks, Kate! I will definitely check it out! My RLS lasts all day, so I don't know that it would actually matter when I take it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea (HappyScrapMom) View Post
Oh no, so sorry Deb! That sounds awful. I have never heard of it hurting so bad.

My special needs son has PLMD (Periodic Limb Movement Disorder) which keeps him awake at nights - it's basically Restless Leg Syndrome only he's unconscious when it occurs and it wakes him up.

They give him Requip for it. My MIL has RLS and she's treated with the same meds as my son.

I don't love giving my son meds for this, if there is a more natural approach, I would be interested in finding out more about it. I will have to google that Valerian root.

I hope you feel better, Deb! {hugs}
Thanks, Andrea! Yeah, I've never heard of anyone having it so bad! Mine is definitely considered severe RLS. They mentioned PLMD w/me, but once I go to sleep, it's fine. So, yeah, definitely not it. lol Yeah, I hate taking meds, so I'd love to find a good homeo for it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengerbread88 View Post
I have it, but I'm honestly no help. The medicines they make to help with the pain or the sensation give me night terrors, but I haven't found any homeopathic stuff to help. I noticed it has gotten better since I've increased my potassium intake, but honestly, not enough that it would help you if the pain is that bad.
That doesn't sound like fun! More potassium? I can do that! I LOVE bananas & fish! I'll have to research what else has potassium. It won't hurt to try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
My RLS has improved a lot since cutting back drastically on sugar. I used to always drink tonic water with quinine in it. You have to check the bottle because not all tonic water has it, but I can get it here in a 2 L bottle. I would take a 30-minute walk in the evening and then drink a large glass of tonic water before bed. I still do the walk but don't always drink the tonic anymore since changing my diet seems to have helped even more.

I've heard others say that different things work for them - mustard before bed (like a tablespoon of it ), drinking coconut water, and an all natural remedy called "Restful Leg" - I haven't tried any of these though!
I don't intake a lot of sugar. I drink water 95% of the time @ home. The rest of the time is usually orange juice, or sometimes sweet tea (but usually only if I'm getting fast food (rarely)). I cut out a lot of sweets to help lose weight & just don't keep that kind of stuff in the house. I've never heard of tonic water. I'll have to look into it. CANNOT stand mustard!! Even the smell of it makes me gag! So, that one's out. I'm deathly allergic to coconut, so that one is definitely out! & I have "Restful Leg". That's what my mom takes for her RLS. When it's not too bad, it helps, but when it gets so severe, it does nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey42 View Post
How much Gabapentin are your taking? They put me on it 3 weeks ago for my restless leg issues (after 4 years!) and started me out at 300mgs & gave me a schedule to follow of upping the dose all the way to 2100mgs if needed. So far the 1200mgs seems to working.

Lyrica didn't work so well for me, though potassium & iron supplements did help for awhile.
Stacey, I'm taking 300mg a day. Everyone keeps mentioning to me that I'm probably iron-deficient, but every time they take my blood to check, my iron levels are perfect! But, I'll definitely mention upping my mgs to the dr.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

They have diagnose RLS & ruled out neuropathy. The only reason I'm not on the Lyrica is because it is $300 a month!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've been reading a lot about Magnesium lately. It's effective for so many ailments. Google "Benefits of Magnesium". Restless legs is one of the things it works for.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

valerian root can make you sleepy just so you know if you try it. I take it because I have problems falling asleep

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I've been reading a lot about Magnesium lately. It's effective for so many ailments. Google "Benefits of Magnesium". Restless legs is one of the things it works for.
DH just mentioned this. He was researching some today & he kept coming up w/magnesium. So, yeah, that's on the list to try for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx-nana-scraps View Post
I know it's expensive. Can you contact the pharmaceutical company and see if they have a discounted plan you could get on? Sometimes companies do that. Maybe stress that Lyrica really helps your symptoms.
Seriously? I didn't know you could do that! Thank you! I definitely will!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
valerian root can make you sleepy just so you know if you try it. I take it because I have problems falling asleep
Oh! Then I do not need to take this! I sleep ALL the time! I'm always so exhausted & have zero energy! I take lots & lots of naps!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

**Public Service Announcement**Please be sure to ask your Dr. about taking anything homeopathic for your RLS since you are on other meds. Herbs and supplements can interfere or cause severe problems when combined with prescription (or OTC) drugs. ** end announcement** hehe

If the Dr. says it would be safe, then heck yeah - try them all! I hope the pain gets better for you!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Random, but one time in the newspaper there was a question about it and they were asking if putting a bar of soap at the foot of your bed works, and for some reason unknown to whatever doctor was writing it up, it worked. Not sure, but it's cheap and I can't imagine it interfering with any of your other medicines
Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather Roselli View Post
**Public Service Announcement**Please be sure to ask your Dr. about taking anything homeopathic for your RLS since you are on other meds. Herbs and supplements can interfere or cause severe problems when combined with prescription (or OTC) drugs. ** end announcement** hehe

If the Dr. says it would be safe, then heck yeah - try them all! I hope the pain gets better for you!
Oh yes! I know this. I definitely will ask before trying anything new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glumirk View Post
Random, but one time in the newspaper there was a question about it and they were asking if putting a bar of soap at the foot of your bed works, and for some reason unknown to whatever doctor was writing it up, it worked. Not sure, but it's cheap and I can't imagine it interfering with any of your other medicines
Hmmm...never heard this one before. But, doesn't hurt to try it!