Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 11-14-2013, 12:03 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd
Default Christmas Ideas

My four year old is so easy to shop for! Her Christmas shopping took me about 5 minutes on Amazon. The two-year-old is harder. Any ideas for a toddler girl? She got the Little People Disney Princess Castle for her birthday, and she loves it.

I have no idea what to do for the boys. They don't need anything, and they don't treat their toys very well, so I have a hard time shopping for them. Any ideas for 7 and 9 year old boys?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm watching re: 7 year old... I'm really struggling, too... I don't have that "big" gift... otherwise, J is getting a lot of Think Fun puzzles - curse of being homeschoolers, all games must be educational... haha... a few lego things and that is it. I asked him what he wanted and I got socks and underwear - apparently that is all he thinks Santa brings him... haha... and some huge inflatable ball that you crawl into - which makes this skittish mom saying, no.

So will be watching for ideas, too...
Old 11-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

what about stuff to go with the castle?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-Pri...y-Set/24062803 this is sweet

I love little people <3

For your older boys - no clue! For Christmas for lucas we are going to make him a lego table/storage and get him some bulk lego

and hello?! they have little people seven dwarfs?! the cuteness!
Old 11-14-2013, 12:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Cooper is getting a DS for his big gift, just a boring, plain old DS. LOL!

7 & 9, if your boys have a gaming system, go with Skylander's Swap Force. I know boys are obsessed with it! We have almost all of the giants, Cooper is asking for it too, but I've convinced him to wait and ask for it for his birthday in February.

Maybe a cool Nerf Gun, those BeyBlades are suppose to be big with that age group too. When Keira gets invited to birthday parties for boys, thats what I buy them.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Do the boys need a new bike? Sorry, I'm not used to buying for boys.

I think 2 year olds are the easiest to buy for, because they're so young they like anything and everything. Playdough & accessories was a sure bet for my girls at that age, as was paint of any kind, books, soft toys, dress ups, baby dolls with pram/highchair etc, and role play kitchen or supermarket toys with the plastic fruit/veges, shopping trolley, cash register etc.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:56 PM

profile gallery send pm

I'm not buying Legos. Humpf.

As for gaming systems . . . We only have a Wii. And we've kind of decided not to buy any more games until we figure out where we're gonna go with that whole thing. Since they released the Wii U . . . the old Wii games won't work with the new system.

Nerf stuff is a good idea.

Oh - we got the two-year-old figured out. Some Maisy books, Daniel Tiger figures, Melissa and Doug stuff.

Keep the ideas for the boys coming!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 12:57 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
Do the boys need a new bike? Sorry, I'm not used to buying for boys.
Sean just got a new bike for his birthday in October, and Ian got the hand-me-down bike. So we're covered there.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How about experiences? Like a trip to an amusement park? Or a hiking trip? Or something that doesn't add more stuff to your house? LOL That's what I'd like to do for Blake. We have so many toys and we definitely don't need more!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranslow View Post
How about experiences? Like a trip to an amusement park? Or a hiking trip? Or something that doesn't add more stuff to your house? LOL That's what I'd like to do for Blake. We have so many toys and we definitely don't need more!
That's a good idea. Will have to think about that one.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We're getting my 19 month old daughter a radio flyer trike and the my little pony build a bear stuffed animals

Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Nerf is a must - especially if you can throw them out back and let them have at it. We do every single nerf thing ever made. My almost 14yo is asking for a new one for his birthday.

Do you not do any Legos? It keeps my boys quiet for long periods of time
Or maybe K'nex since it's more engineer oriented.

Mine are also into Transformers.

What about camping gear? Even for indoor weekend camping, it can be really fun!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Well, since Kaylin has the castle, you might not be interested, but we're getting Chloe this Little People set -

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-Pri...-Set/24062801?

I'd love to get her this Noah's Ark set - maybe for her bday in Feb.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-L.../dp/B00CQHYXOO

We also got her this baby carriage with a doll -

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Just-Like-...-Dots/11025950

I know we got her other things, but right now I'm drawing a complete blank. LOL
Old 11-14-2013, 01:22 PM

profile gallery send pm

We've had so many problems with the Legos . . . spread all over the house . . . everyone refusing to keep them picked up. They're currently confiscated, and I'm not buying more until people start getting a little more responsible about them. I'm turning into a Lego Scrooge. K'nex scare me for the same reason . . . too many little pieces all over the place.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

This is what my 3 are getting, most of it. Cooper will be 6 in February, so he's a little younger than your boys. We're pretty much having a super hero Christmas here. LOL!
http://www.pinterest.com/nesser1981/christmas-2013/
Old 11-14-2013, 01:39 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

These too are suppose to be popular with that age group.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...2Ck%3AB-Daman+
Old 11-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltarbox View Post
As for gaming systems . . . We only have a Wii. And we've kind of decided not to buy any more games until we figure out where we're gonna go with that whole thing. Since they released the Wii U . . . the old Wii games won't work with the new system.
Wii games work on the Wii U, the wii u tablet controller just wont work to control them so you have to use the standard wand controllers you have on the original system.

We considered a Wii U here but decided against it because I think honestly the Xbox One or PS4 are going to be the better buy in a year or two for the kids in our house.

Andy is 8 and we're doing Skylanders Swap Force for him because he's crazy about the things.

We also found a cool comic book sketch pad at Michaels that I think he is going to like and we go him one of these at Toys R Us instead of a bike which is what we got for the girls...

I'll keep my thinking cap on for you Lydia!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:45 PM

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Carlton View Post
Wii games work on the Wii U, the wii u tablet controller just wont work to control them so you have to use the standard wand controllers you have on the original system.

We considered a Wii U here but decided against it because I think honestly the Xbox One or PS4 are going to be the better buy in a year or two for the kids in our house.

Andy is 8 and we're doing Skylanders Swap Force for him because he's crazy about the things.

We also found a cool comic book sketch pad at Michaels that I think he is going to like and we go him one of these at Toys R Us instead of a bike which is what we got for the girls...

I'll keep my thinking cap on for you Lydia!
That's good to know about the Wii, Robin.

Ian would love anything to do with comic books or art. We just have to evaluate how much it will add to the paper situation in our house. Lol.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have friends who contain the Lego spread by making the kids play on an old bed sheet. If they want to play with the Lego, they spread the sheet onto the floor and play on that. Any Lego not on the sheet means it all gets packed up again. Also easy to clean up quickly - just grab the corners of the sheet and bundle it up and put it straight into a big box. Next time lift the whole bindle out and it's ready to go again.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
We've had so many problems with the Legos . . . spread all over the house . . . everyone refusing to keep them picked up. They're currently confiscated, and I'm not buying more until people start getting a little more responsible about them. I'm turning into a Lego Scrooge. K'nex scare me for the same reason . . . too many little pieces all over the place.
My boy is only 4 and I'm already the Lego Nazi. He panics when they are all out (but he has no problem throwing them like confetti), so I've had to be firm and take them away and remind him how much easier it is to pick them up if he only pulls out the ones he uses. They've been confiscated multiple times (and these are just the duplos!), and he's finally doing better about not throwing them everywhere.

I also mentioned to DH that we really just need to get our kids some fun bins/ways to put away their toys for Christmas so that we don't have to worry about it.

That said, have you heard of these:

I found a tutorial to make your own here:

Old 11-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm with Erin. My 10 year old is getting tickets to the Harlem globetrotters, my 7 year old is getting tickets to the motorcross. In the past, they have also gotten tickets to the Monster Jam and other sporting events. We've also done a small weekend trip after Xmas to Sea World and the tickets were their gift.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Nicholas is 7. He really wants more Legos. So that's his Santa present. From me, he is getting stuff for our trip in January. For his birthday, he got a light up scooter and loves that thing. Him and the neighbor kids ride them all over. I like experience gifts, too. We have so much clutter all over the place.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

I'm also out of ideas what to get my 8 year old daughter. I don't think she even knows herself what she wants. She's been hinting about another American Girl Doll. She has 3 already and doesn't play much with them now. She is into rainbow looms now.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:15 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

At 7 and 10, my girls love experience gifts. Tickets to a stage show, rock climbing, theme park etc. What about a book of movie tickets the boys can use throughout the year?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

L.J. is 8. As much as I wanted to get him the Skylanders this year, he REALLLLLY wants the Disney Infinity...so that's what he's getting. He has always been a Disney kid and I think he will like it better. (he has played the Skylanders and still wanted this)

Other than that he is getting Legos, movies and Wii games. I'm also getting him new shoes and some Shwings to go on them (so he can have shoes like Percy Jackson).

Old 11-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

My son is 5 and he is all about ninja turtles, legos (ninja turtles legos and knight legos) and spy gear. He also wants a nerf gun, but he's not going to get one, at least not at his age.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Are you nearby a zoo? The family membership usually pays for itself in less than 3 trips and you can usually go almost every day of the year. Plus, if it is part of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums you can get in for free or discount at other zoos if you travel.

Balls. I got a deal on basketballs one year and gave the nephews each a new basketball. My brother-in-law was happy because their basketball was not holding air. Do you have anything like that that could stand to be replaced?

What about a board game? We like Whoonu. If the youngest can't read all of the cards we usually pair with an adult as a team to whisper to him what the card says.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 8 year old is way into beyblades. He just got a bunch for his birthday though. Not sure what he'll get for Christmas. He also got lots of legos for his birthday to add to the million we already have. He wants a few things from a catalog. The prices were reasonable so I might just go that direction. As for his 'big' gift... he got an iPod Touch last year. This year I think we will either get both of the kids a tablet (DH's idea) or new Wii Remotes (my idea) so that they have 4 and can play with their friends. Crazy that the remotes cost nearly what the tablet does... though if we were really going to get a tablet, I think we should opt for a Kindle Fire or something for them instead of the one DH is looking at. Declan got lots of Nerf stuff for his birthday too, so that's out...

My kids were so much easier to shop for when they were little. Now that they are older electronics are more the thing but I don't want to get them too much too soon, kwim? If they get an iPad now, what am I going to get them when they are 15? A house?? LOL I don't want spoiled kids. I'd prefer just to get them a few books and an outfit or two. Thankfully I only have to come up with 4 gifts for each and 3 of those items will be Santa gifts and they make lists.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did forget... I have the game Headbandz, I think it is called. I got it really cheap on Amazon. He is getting that for Christmas and a DS game (also super cheap buy). Those are things I had for his birthday but didn't give him when I realized we had too many things for him. I got several of his birthday gifts free so I had to do some switching. The big Beyblade set we gave him was free. I was kind of surprised to see it on rollback for $35 at Walmart. LOL

Speaking of 2 year olds and Little People... I MISS LITTLE PEOPLE! I love them! I still have all of my kids'. We have that arc you linked to, Libby. I love it! I need to find the nativity set we have and Santa and his sleigh. Not sure what I'll do with them, but I haven't been able to part with them yet... and my 'baby' just turned 8!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:09 PM

profile gallery send pm

Books are definitely on the list for all the kids. Anyone have suggestions for chapter books for the 7 and 9 year old? They are in 2nd and 3rd grades, and they both read a little above grade level. I'd love to get each of them something that would really draw them in.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Nicholas loves Diary of a Wimpy Kid and lately we have gotten Jedi Academy and he wants Origami Yoda (heard good things about them).
Old 11-15-2013, 02:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Keira is reading the Harry Potter books, she's on the 4th one. She read the Jedi Academy & really liked it.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:32 AM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

My brother (9) has been into the Peter and the Starcatchers series. He reads a little below his gradelevel. Also, the boys (9,12, 15) have been reading The Alchemist series (Michael Scott); and Artemis Fowl series.

For Christmas, one (15) is getting a Kindle Fire. The 12 is getting a regular reading Kindle. One of the reasons for Kindles is the ability to share books on the same account through the Amazon App Store.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Books are definitely on the list for all the kids. Anyone have suggestions for chapter books for the 7 and 9 year old? They are in 2nd and 3rd grades, and they both read a little above grade level. I'd love to get each of them something that would really draw them in.
Nate the Great
Encyclopedia Brown
Old 11-18-2013, 12:30 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My boy is 8 and loves sports cards, so I'm getting him several packages and probably one special collector or autographed one from the local sport memorabilia store as well as a binder and pages to organize his collection. He's not really into his toys much anymore so we will do other kinds of gifts; tickets to a Globe Trotters show, specialty rootbeers (his favorite treat), movie passes and a little cash.

His big gift last birthday was a basketball hoop for the driveway and it's gotten tons of use.

Books he's enjoyed - Holes, Indiana Jones, Warriors (a series about cats), Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Old 11-18-2013, 12:50 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Lily has been loving the warrior series! Any other recommendations for books that are similar to it?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
Lily has been loving the warrior series! Any other recommendations for books that are similar to it?
I'd recommend Watership Down if she hasn't read it.

Jamin enjoyed the Shark Wars books. I don't think they are as well-written, but the themes are similar (warring tribes of animals and the fight for survival).

Oh and did you see this? I think it would make the perfect gift book if she loves the Warriors series. I kind of want one.

Last edited by Misty Cato; 11-18-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:26 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Thank you bunches! She hasn't read watership down yet!

That guide book is def going on the Christmas to buy list for her! awesome!
Old 11-18-2013, 01:38 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

Woot! I picked up the origami yoda boxed set, and the jedi academy book, bad kitty boxed set and 2 lego ninjago books through scholastic for $44...go through there instead of Amazon if you can!

In addition, my kids will be getting Basketballs/Basketball Shoes/Sign Ups for the Rec League & iTunes Gift Cards for now...idk what else...they just got a hand-me down macbook so they're loving that and really actually don't play with toys too much anymore
Old 11-18-2013, 03:13 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

I got Logan Snap Circuits for Christmas last year. It's very cool and he's learned a lot about circuits . If you look on Amazon it has VERY high ratings. There are kits for all price ranges. They say the age is for 8+ and I'd say that is about right.

This year is going to be tough. He really wants more Legos and of course he only wants those $100+ sets. Since he is 10.5 years old, I'm just not wanting to buy more Legos when he already has so many and I don't see him playing with them much longer.

I think I want to get Settlers of Catan for him since it has high ratings. Anyone have it and like it?

Last edited by Julie Billingsley; 11-18-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:38 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I think I want to get Settlers of Catan for him since it has high ratings. Anyone have it and like it?
Settler's of Catan is ok. For a long time it was DD's favorite board game (From about age 9 to age 11). Ticket to Ride is a lot of fun as well and the rules are quite a bit simpler and it makes a great family game. I think you can pick up both of these games at Target.

Another awesome board game is Forbidden Island. It's a cooperative game so it's either all win or all lose. As a group you are trying to collect artifacts and get off an island before it sinks. Everybody has specific roles that they play (such as the diver or the pilot) which have their own specific rules. Lots of fun and a really great introduction to cooperative games.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbhb View Post
Settler's of Catan is ok. For a long time it was DD's favorite board game (From about age 9 to age 11). Ticket to Ride is a lot of fun as well and the rules are quite a bit simpler and it makes a great family game. I think you can pick up both of these games at Target.
Agreed. We have Settlers and Ticket to ride, and play ticket to ride way more. They are sort of similar in style...building roads/tracks/hitting goals. Another one we love here is Carcassonne. It might be a little trickier. Although I know my friends 7 year old has played. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/822/carcassonne