Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2011, 11:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy
Default me being bored...

we just moved our youngest into the same bedroom as our oldest because they've been asking FOREVER to 'live' in the same room. those of you with more than one kid...do yours share a room? did they ever? how'd that work out for ya?

Old 03-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls share a room and have since the youngest was out of the bassinet in our room. Some nights it's a little hard when the youngest doesn't want to go to sleep and her sister does. However, when one of them isn't home, because she's staying at the grandparents', the other has a hard time sleeping without her. They don't know any different, but their brother is jealous because he doesn't have anyone to share his room with. He's even asked me for a little brother, so he could share his room. Maybe my kids are just weird though.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The boys shared in WI even though we had three bedrooms. When JP moved in, he wasn't comfortable sleeping in a room alone. By the time we moved out, he was more than ready to have his own room. Here, they do have their own rooms, right across the hall from each other. I've found the two of them sleeping in the same room a few times though--they've each got a queen size bed and wind up sharing some nights.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

My kids have shared a room since they were very little and still do when they're at my house...some days it's rough because they wake eachother up or keep eachother awake, but that's not the norm. It's hard when they're fighting to send them to their rooms, though, hahah...I have to send ONE to the room and the other somewhere else (usually my room...and I remember my mom having to do that to me and Jaedyn when we were little, lol). They used to cry when one wasn't home that they missed the other, but they have stopped doing that, since I'm pretty sure they're separated now at their dads house.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We moved the kids into the same room about a year ago, and we like it (they are 41/2 and 2 1/2) We did it so that they could have a playroom on the main floor to keep all the toys from ending up in the living room.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The boys' have been sharing a room since Belly moved out of our bed at about 6 months (when she stopped waking to eat at night). They hate it. lol Before (when Belly slept nights with us) her crib was in Zach's room with him, and Ryan had his own tiny room. When we decided to put her in her crib at night we thought it'd be easier to put her in Ryan's room and Ryan in with Zach so that she wouldn't wake up when Zach came to bed, and wouldn't wake up Zach if she woke up at night for some reason.
Poor Zach has such a neat and tidy soul... and Ryan is just messy so it causes a lot of problems between them. We never wanted them to share rooms at all, we weren't planning to have another child until Ryan was at least 7, and we could hopefully afford a bigger house then (this is only 1200 sq ft), but well surprises happen. lol

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls' share a room & it works out okay. There are nights that I find the oldest in the toddler bed with the younger. They don't really know any different though. They've shared since younger was born. The baby has his own room though, & it houses the dressers for all 3 kids.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls share a room too and have for what will be a year in June. They've done awesome being in the same room together. Libby is one who falls asleep right away and is out when she does...thank goodness because Claire likes to stay up talking. I love having them share a room and they're super close so they love it too. I especially love having a playroom now too which is what we did with Claire's old room. Good luck!! I can't wait to hear how it goes!!
Old 03-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well, we have three boys and a three-bedroom house, so two of them have got to share, lol!

Anyway, we are a little out of the norm, since my oldest has ADD and sleeping issues (he has night terrors, sleepwalks, is extremely insecure, etc.). So when it's bedtime, my yougest son, 3, goes to bed in the room with bunk beds, my middle son, almost 5, goes to sleep in the room with a double bed and my oldest goes to sleep in our room due to his insecurity issues.

When we go to sleep, we transfer our older son to the double bed with our middle son and in the morning, the three of them are usually asleep in the double bed, together. The bunk beds just don't work here.

It's always complicated to explain the sleep routine to the babysitter when we go out! lol!
Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Abby and Peyton shared from the time Peyton was born until we moved in July and they were 4 1/2 and 3. It was terrible....half the time they didn't get along and unless one of them fell asleep before the other one they ALWAYS kept each other up at night. Abby would fall asleep and Peyton would get up, turn the lights on, play, make lots of noise....etc etc....Usually beofer the night was over one of them was in bed with us if not both of them! now they have their own rooms and it is FABULOUS and usually unless one of them is sick, they sleep in their own beds ALL NIGHT! I think maybe if they were both girls or both boys it would be different, but Abby is a neat freak and LOVES her pink room....so I don't think Peyton would like being in a pink room too much
Old 03-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

naptime was nonexsistant today. :/

Old 03-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I have a boy and a girl, and they've never shared a room.

But I will say that when I was a child, my older sister and I shared a room for many years. For the both of us, there were a lot of problems with that: she was a neatnick, I was messy. She fell asleep right away, while I agonized trying to get to sleep, and had to listen to her breathing--I had insomnia for my entire childhood. She also kept trying to move me out, and into a tiny 6 foot by 6 foot sewing room. When I was under 6 years old, that was fine for a while, but I couldn't stay there forever. It was too small.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

My girls have shared a room since we moved here. So about 1 1/2 years. They are 22 months apart, and best buddies. It has worked very well for us, aside from the fact that my youngest likes to talk to herself for an hour after bed time, while the other would sleep for 14 hours if the other didn't keep her awake LOL.

My girls were 7 and 5 when we moved them in together. Other than the sleep pattern differences, we haven't had any problems. We moved them into the master bedroom a few months ago, so they would have more space, and we took their smaller bedroom. Oh the sacrifices we make LOL
Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
we just moved our youngest into the same bedroom as our oldest because they've been asking FOREVER to 'live' in the same room. those of you with more than one kid...do yours share a room? did they ever? how'd that work out for ya?

My girls share a room (13 in May and 9 in April) and they freaking fight like cats and dogs!!! Drives me bananas!!!

Then 2 of the boys share a room (6 and 3) and really all they do is sleep in their room. So they get along great!!!

The baby (18months) has his own room and he thinks that's awesome!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
naptime was nonexsistant today. :/
I found for naptime I had to be very strict or they'd keep eachother up. Go in there every 5-10 minutes and get after them, or at any time you hear giggling or other loud "playing" noises. Eventually they will fall asleep, lol...
Old 03-27-2011, 06:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My girls have shared a room since right before ds was born - so for about 4 years. They do pretty well together and don't bother each other much when it's time to go to sleep. We have the usual battles when it's time to clean their room - she's not helping, I didn't get that out, etc. They have been more chatty at bedtime recently but it doesn't usually last too long before the both zonk out and sometimes I like to stand just outside the door and eavesdrop. I find out some interesting things that way.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Do both girls still nap?

Tristan and Julian share a room, they have since Julian was about 6 months old. It hasn't ever caused any bedtime issues but Julian WILL NOT nap if Tristan is in the room during naptime. So I have to keep Tristan out during Julian's nap. It hasn't caused any major issues. Sometimes Tristan whines to go in his room during Julian's nap but I know better than to give in, he'd wake him within seconds. I generally let Tristan play a video game during Julian's nap or I put Tristan in my room to watch a movie or something.

Occasionally Tristan will fall asleep in my room while he's in there but it's really rare.

::Tabatha::
proud mom to Gabriel {11}, Tristan {10} Julian {6}, Sophie {3}, Lucius {1} & Ezekiel {5.28.14}
Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)
Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

recently my 19 year old had to welcome his 12 year old brother into his room. I had a friend that was down on her luck and she moved in with her two girls and the girls had to share a room with my 13 year old daughter. The boys didnt do too bad, the 19 year old only ever goes in there to sleep and that's like 2 a.m, lol so it was not an issue at ALL..but those girls, now that is another story all together. They were 13, 10 and 8 and it was horrible. Those girls still come over here every day after school and my kids cringe when they walk in the door, lol. It was hard for them because none of them were used to sharing though, I think that was a big issue and melding two families so that was also a factor. But all in all I would say for me, the experience with the boys was much easier than the girls so maybe its a gender thing?

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have 3 kids (7 & 5 year old boys and a 2 year old girl) and luckily they haven't had to share. It would be a nightmare if the 2 boys shared--Jason is particular about his things and often leaves Lego creations in progress in his room so no one disturbs them. Ben is a walking disaster-everything he touches ends up destroyed, LOL. Add in Ben's sleep issues (possible sleep apnea, still doesn't sleep through the night and is up by 5:30 most mornings) that would keep Jason awake, and I think sharing a room would ruin their relationship.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hmlentz

My boys share a room (7 and 8), and it's usually great. But I also have one messy and one tidy child. One that will clean (the messy one), and one that won't clean. So, that can get difficult sometimes. I've had to draw a line and have my cleaner clean his half and leave the other half. Or I give each of them assignments to clean up instead of just saying clean it. But they play with the same toys so that probably helps.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Do both girls still nap?
when emma's home she typically does, but not always. i may start letting her not take one and just send m up there. it's not emma that doesn't want to sleep, it's madelyn (the youngest, she's 3...emma's 5)

so far, they've been in bed for about 45 min and i'm thinking they're sleeping. it's quiet up there and i don't hear any moving around lol i hope it stays like this!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 2 oldest share a room and it's great. They're great friends and do really well. If we split them now, I imagine they'd be scared and lonely... even though they mostly just sleep in there. We put them together when they were 2 and 4 (when the next baby came) and it was fun. The transition was hard with the 2 year old moved out of her crib, but that passed quickly enough. They are now 4 and 6 and the 4 year old would stay up and look at books all night if she could, so sometimes she keeps the 6 year old up a little too long, but mostly it's great.

We're going to try to put the new baby (boy) and my 2 year old together after the first month or so. If it doesn't go well, we'll probably switch the other 2 to a bunk bed and move the 2 year old in with them, she would LOVE it I'm sure... but I don't know how all 3 would sleep. I'm hoping she can just share with the baby and sleep through it all. Time will tell I guess!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My 2 shared a room for around 8 months and it was the worst 8 months of my life! They didn't go to sleep until late, woke up early, were always fighting and Harry was always going on to Jack's bed and jumping on it when he was nearly asleep, I split them up just before Christmas 2010.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun69 View Post
Abby and Peyton shared from the time Peyton was born until we moved in July and they were 4 1/2 and 3. It was terrible....half the time they didn't get along and unless one of them fell asleep before the other one they ALWAYS kept each other up at night. Abby would fall asleep and Peyton would get up, turn the lights on, play, make lots of noise....etc etc....Usually beofer the night was over one of them was in bed with us if not both of them! now they have their own rooms and it is FABULOUS and usually unless one of them is sick, they sleep in their own beds ALL NIGHT! I think maybe if they were both girls or both boys it would be different, but Abby is a neat freak and LOVES her pink room....so I don't think Peyton would like being in a pink room too much
This is pretty much completely us. My kids, boy and girl shared from time Ali was born till we moved here. Now their rooms are across the hall from each other and every so often the have movie night where they both crash on the floor in the living room. But I love them having separate rooms. They pay in each other's room often but that's okay. They also help clean each others room. I am much happier with them in separate rooms even if they are not. Its best for my sanity. :/