Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2011, 11:24 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Default Laundry...love it or hate it?

I have a love/hate relationship with doing laundry. I hate sorting, touching boys undies grosses me out, and I often forget about those quick loads I throw in, so I end up having to wash them again. But I love the smell of clean sheets and getting to watch some of my recorded shows while I fold - I don't feel like I'm just sitting around then....I have about 6 loads to do today....wish me luck!

So do you enjoy doing your laundry or do you wait until your kiddos are recycling their socks and it HAS to be done?

Do you have a fabulous detergent? I'm always on the lookout for something that works well without a lot of perfumes and is environmentally friendly.

Oh, and I gave up ironing a long time ago to help save the environment. Those irons use a lot of electricity. (well, at least for the most part. sometimes I have to drag it out.)

Penny
Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind folding laundry I just hate to put it away!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm the same way... I hate the sorting and folding...

though for some reason, I love stuffing diapers...

we use Rockin' Green detergent and I really like it
Old 03-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

We have a laundry sorter in our room - with 2 'compartments' for whites and everything else.

The boys have 1 bin in their bathroom. I only sort theirs by colors and throw their whites into a basket in our laundry area waiting for the house 'whites' to fill up to do that load.

I do 1 load of laundry a day otating through the baskets and sheets or towels, and skip Sundays. It keeps me from having heavy days of laundry, and I hang out our laundry outside if it's not below 50 (cause I'm a wimp) or raining.

I do fold everything, but have the boys put most of it away..which helps!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hate the idea of it (it's work afterall, lol) but once I get to the folding part I find it kindof relaxing. Especially if the clothes are still warm.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

Hate doesn't even begin to cover it for me. I wish things just never got dirty or magically cleaned themselves every night.

I never rememeber to change out loads, so it takes me 2 days to do 2 loads most of the time. I HATE folding and I ESPECIALLY hate putting it all away.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm not a huge fan of laundry - mostly the putting it away part . . . but I sure don't mind it as much as some other household chores (like dusting!!). I'm also pretty much like Darcy - try to do at least one load every day so it doesn't pile up.

My Blog: Quantum Leaps
Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Heather, where do you find Rockin' Green?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathergw View Post

Penny
Old 03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We are on a cycle of every Monday is laundry day... so at least that helps... I really don't mind it, but I hate the putting away, hubby usually does that... and forget about ironing! UGH! All hubby's every day work shirts are now wrinkle free!

I love... LOVE... SA8 laundry detergent (Amway). I know Amway gets a bad wrap because, well it's Amway... but they really do have stellar products. Their stain fighters are just downright awesome! J never had stains on his clothes as a baby/toddler - ALWAYS come out... but we are no longer a distributer for them, so I have to find a new detergant... haven't really found anything that compares. Might have to break down and see if anyone will sell it to us for the IBO price.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Baldwin View Post

I do fold everything, but have the boys put most of it away..which helps!
Darcy, I've tried this at my house but the first time J opened his door, threw the clothes in his room, closed his door and kept it closed until we went up at bedtime and saw clean clothes all over the place. Now I still make them put their clothes away but I have to supervise. LOL

I've tried the load a day thing, but for some reason it just doesn't click. Maybe I should try again.

Penny
Old 03-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hate it. Like, ifIcouldjustthrowtheclothesawayandbuynewoneswhenth eygetdirty hate it. I keep telling myself that if I'd just keep up better then I'd hate it less but really, I don't think so. I honestly don't mind the washing and drying, it's the folding and putting away part that really ruins it for me. lol
Old 03-31-2011, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Dh does the laundry here. I then have to fold and put away. We both hate it. And we do it when we have no undies left, lol! So then we have like 8-9 loads to do in a day. Yuck. And I always have a laundry basket full of clean socks that need to be matched and folded. I just can't see the bottom of that basket, it's neverending.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind laundry so much. Well, ever since I got my new washer anyways. It has been two years and I am still madly in love with it! LOL I don't mind the laundry and sometimes I don't mind the folding. It is taking it out of the laundry room and putting it in the dresser or closet that gets me every time. And I NEVER iron......that is what the steam cycle on my dryer is for! LOL My kids are pretty good at getting their stuff put up. It is my hubby that isn't trainable! LOL

ETA: I do at least a load a day. I start it in the morning after I take my shower. If I don't do that then I get WAY behind and drown in dirty laundry.

Last edited by taracotta7; 03-31-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I hate it...to the point where mine usually never gets put away. I keep L.J.'s uniforms in the laundry room, my folded clothes are in the laundry room as well as my hanging stuff (I mean come on, I wear the same stuff all the time anyway LOL) and hubby's is the only thing that gets put in drawers and closets most of the time unless I'm feeling ambitious. I've gotta make it look like I do something during the day while he's working HAHA!

Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Springmann View Post
Heather, where do you find Rockin' Green?
I buy it from Amazon... it says it's a cloth diaper detergent but I like it for our clothes too... it's clean rinsing so there isn't detergent build up which makes stink stick to clothes.
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

i don't mind doing it. i HATE folding and putting away.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I hate it because I dont have my own washer/dryer any more. So I have to pay to do the laundry and, of course, when you pay for it, you always need to do 2 cycles in the dryer. So it takes forever. Thus I always wait until it needs to be done cause we are out of underwear. I hate folding and putting away stuff. We use Purex Free & Clear. My son has eczema so I have to watch what I use. I wanted to make my own, but couldnt find one of the ingredients anywhere in town.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind doing laundry, I hate folding laundry. This is why I have a pile of clean clothes that we all pull out of. I could wash clothes all day, as long as someone else was folding them and putting them up.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I'm the same way... I hate the sorting and folding...

though for some reason, I love stuffing diapers...

I use rockin green too! On my diapers though. I did rock a soak on our darks this week though.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate it. I have one laundry day a week and with 6 people in our family, it takes me all day. But I would rather spend only one day doing it during the week than doing multiple days. I am pretty good at rotating the loads through, folding and putting them away as they get done.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
I buy it from Amazon... it says it's a cloth diaper detergent but I like it for our clothes too... it's clean rinsing so there isn't detergent build up which makes stink stick to clothes.
Thanks! I see they have a hard water version as well! Our well water is so HARD...Totally going to try it!

Penny
Old 03-31-2011, 12:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I more than hate it. I don't think I'd mind if I wasn't the only one who actually puts their dirties in the correct basket when they take them off! eh yeah I'd still hate it. It's an annoyance to me. LOL
Old 03-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

hate putting it away. i have fallen so far behind i dont think i'll ever catch up. i seem to be washing the same things all the time and never able to get to the other baskets lol. like towels and chloe's school clothes, blankets. i am trying to get caught up today. have already folded and put away 3 loads and need to toss some more in to wash. i may have to go to the laundromat, but hate paying the $$ lol. and the dryers there suck.

as far as detergents go, i love to use Gain cause it smells so good. but sometimes Meijer has great sales on cheaper brands, huge containers so i'll grab an off brand once in awhile. i started using those Downy bars you stick to the drum of your dryer and love them. easy peasy, dont have to pour liquid softener in the washer or remember to put dryer sheets in.

Last edited by junebug; 03-31-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

can't stand laundry - dh does more than me. i always forget it in the washer!
Old 03-31-2011, 12:11 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

hate it. hate it so much that I call the dirty laundry hamper the "burn pile". Plus I just don't think of throwing a load in. Luckily my husband doesn't mind doing it, so when he has a chance he will take care of it. Sadly that does mean our dirties do pile up. Dang... I should really go through a load in right now.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm a weirdo. I love laundry. I don't have a dryer by choice, and I swear I even love hanging it out to dry.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenSwerb View Post
I wish things just never got dirty or magically cleaned themselves every night.
LOL, Col. I could totally get on board with that. Where's the cleaning fairy when you need her?

I don't really mind laundry but that's probably because with only two of us, it's not exactly that hard. If I was having to do loads every day, I probably wouldn't like it either.

Adam and I are actually each do our own laundry. He takes care of his clothes and military uniforms and I do my own clothes and any sheets, towels, etc.

He also does most of the ironing but that's because he's a pro at it from all the years when he had to iron his military uniform. We only iron things as needed though, so it's never more than a shirt or two at a time and usually it's a shirt he's ironing for himself to wear. I try to take all my clothes out of the dryer as soon as they're done and lay them flat so even if I don't put them away right away, they don't get wrinkled. And if I come back from a trip and everything is wrinkled from being in a suitcase, I'll just rewash everything because it is way easier than ironing, haha.

I also stopped using drawers a few years ago, everything is either hanging or in open shelving or bins, which I love it because it makes it so easy to put everything away (minimal folding!) and I can see everything I own really easily. We do have a dresser but only Adam uses it. I would much rather hang stuff on hangers than fold it into drawers.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
hate it. hate it so much that I call the dirty laundry hamper the "burn pile". Plus I just don't think of throwing a load in. Luckily my husband doesn't mind doing it, so when he has a chance he will take care of it. Sadly that does mean our dirties do pile up. Dang... I should really go through a load in right now.
LOL...you crack me up, girl!

Penny
Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
I also stopped using drawers a few years ago, everything is either hanging or in open shelving or bins, which I love it because it makes it so easy to put everything away (minimal folding!) and I can see everything I own really easily. We do have a dresser but only Adam uses it. I would much rather hang stuff on hangers than fold it into drawers.
I totally agree...Most of my clothes hang...keeps them much less wrinkled as well.

Penny
Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have a few friends who are the same, Amy. I wish I could look forward to laundry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amystoffel View Post
I'm a weirdo. I love laundry. I don't have a dryer by choice, and I swear I even love hanging it out to dry.

Penny
Old 03-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

Laundry is the bane of my existence. I would rather buy new clothes.. .but my checkbook wouldn't. So I wash. I hate it. It's so tedious.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I actually like doing laundry. We have 2 laundry bins, 1 in each bathroom, and I empty them every day into the sorters in the laundry room, so when it's time to wash, everything is already sorted. I've started doing a load once every day or 2, so it doesn't pile up as much. We also do cloth diapers, which I wash every other day, so I'm doing a smallish load of something pretty much every day. We use regular Tide liquid, and I've learned from washing dipes that you can use MUCH less detergent than is recommended, so it stretches pretty far.

Old 03-31-2011, 01:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

All's I have to say is I hate it! That and Dishes are just NEVER ending in my house. With 7 of us I do at least 3 loads of laundry everyday! Yes Everyday and that doesn't make the laundry DONE just bearable. As for Dishes my sink is never without dishes in it. That's 2 loads a day if I want an empy sink!

As for your second question....With so much laundry to do I just buy Tide from Costco and when its half gone I buy a new one. I always cry internally when I finish a box of 140 load Tide from Costco......*snif snif*
Old 03-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind doing the laundry so much, as long as I don't let it pile up. I try to do one load per day if I have enough for a full load (usually do since there are five of us). I load it sometime in the morning, put it away sometime in the afternoon. And I fold all the clothes, but distribute them to put away -- my 5- and 7- year have to put away their own clothes once I place them on their bed. I put the rest of our's away. It's not too bad.

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

It is basically the only chore I enjoy doing. I love the satisfaction of having all my laundry neatly folded and put up and the way it smells when it is clean. It is not a difficult job to do and does not require a ton of effort to do. Most of the time spent is waiting for the clothes to be done. So I guess Id say Love it

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

One time I had a dream that I was trapped under a pile of dirty laundry. and it was on fire. for reals.... enough said.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:00 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I love doing laundry more than anything else, chore wise. I would do laundry all day and night if it meant that I would not have to wash a dish again or clean a bathroom. The only part of laundry I do not like is when its time to get rid of my son's smaller clothes and rearrange drawers.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Add me to the list of laundry haters. I also HATE sorting the little boys underwear. Especially when it's still attached to the legs of a pair of jeans or pajama bottoms. Gak! Before I got pregnant and useless, I had forced myself into a pretty good groove of getting it all done, even folded and put away, one day a week. But, it's all fallen apart in the last few months. I've been washing on Saturdays and letting the family fish their clean clothes out of the baskets in the laundry room.

In better days . . . I have a four-bag laundry sorter in the laundry rooms. I sort darks, colors, dirty whites, and clean whites. Then, as the loads come out of the dryer, I also have four baskets that I sort them into: the boys, Raegan, adult stuff to be folded, adult stuff to be hung. I used to be really good about grabbing those baskets and getting it all put away before the next load came out of the dryer. But, like I said, it's all fallen apart now. Hopefully, when I'm feeling better and have more energy, I'll get back in the groove again.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Ironing? my dryer has wrinkle release..love it haha

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 03-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

um... yeah, the last time I used an iron was in home ec. in secondary 2 (8th grade).
Old 03-31-2011, 06:09 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Clingerman View Post
One time I had a dream that I was trapped under a pile of dirty laundry. and it was on fire. for reals.... enough said.
That's scary! I'd feel the same if I were you!

Penny
Old 03-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
and it works?!?! Mine doesn't...

Penny
Old 03-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbettua View Post
I don't mind folding laundry I just hate to put it away!
Me too!!! I like to fold it. IN fact it's kind of relaxing and gives me an excuse to turn on the TV and watch something I want instead of kids shows, but I absolutely HATE putting it away. It sits in the basket until my hubby puts it away. Mostly I hate hanging the clothes up. I don't mind stuffing them in drawers lol. I'm also this way with dishes in the dish washer. I don't mind rinsing and putting them in the dish washer, but I hate putting the dishes back in the cupboards lol!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Meh, laundry doesn't bother me so much. I taught DS how to load and set the washer by the time he was 10 so he always helped out. DD is 10 and has been doing it since she was about 8. Now that it's just the 2 of us we toss our dirty clothes right into the washer immediately, and when it's full one of us starts it up in the morning. I like hanging it out when it's warm enough and DD folds. We both put our own clothes away. I'm not anal about separating colors/whites - it all gets washed together in cold water. I only separate if I know it's something that will run, and then I usually wash that item by hand instead.

Now vaccuuming.... that's a whole other story!
Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I HATE it since there are 6 of us in the family! But I do sort darks and whites when they go in the basket. What I hate most is I can be completely caught up and my DD {17} decided to bring her basket into the laundry room...FULL! So then she has to do it! But what I like about a HUGE bedroom is I just dump the clean basket on the bed and fold as I go It isn't so dreadful as it was when we were in 1200 sq feet! Then I just take each pile and put it in the kids dresser {except for the oldest and DH's, they put their own away!}
Old 03-31-2011, 06:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
mine does too but it really doesn't work~
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny Springmann View Post
touching boys undies grosses me out
This seriously made me snort laugh because I feel the same way and mine are only 6, 3 & 1 right now..... I always think...what the heck am I gonna due when they are 16, 13 & 11!?!?!

I hate laundry...like I loathe it entirely!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 03-31-2011, 06:51 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummytothree View Post
I always think...what the heck am I gonna due when they are 16, 13 & 11!?!?!
make them do their own! Jacob was about 12 when I taught him how to do his own laundry. I'm so so glad that I did. Smelly gross teenage boy clothing is something to be avoided at all costs.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love the smell and love having clean laundry. Hate actually doing it! LOL I used to be a major Gain fan, but really love the Arm and Hammer stuff with the blue lid now...and to boot it's CHEAP!

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 03-31-2011, 07:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't mind washing & drying...but that's about where I draw the line. LOL Getting it from the dryer to the dresser is for the birds. Thankfully, my hubby hates having it in piles or left in the dryer so he gets laundry duty. & complains about it every time.

And then I ever so nicely remind him, that he KNEW this about me before we were married...because he would come to my little house & fold the mountain of laundry that I kept on the love seat because I hate, hate folding & putting it away.