Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Ack and help!

My husband's dad called yesterday to tell us that Dan's nephew is getting married. Christmas day. At my in-law's house. Dan's dad's a preacher, so that works, huh?

Just got a call from my favorite sister-in-law. She volunteered to plan the wedding. Which is great, because hey, I had this picture in my mind and it was pretty redneck. Cassi might save it from going there.

The conversation went like this: "Hey Kim, I'm planning the wedding. And you're taking the pictures."

Ack. And Help. I just have a point and shoot camera. It's a good one, and I'm good at editing, but wedding photos?!? This is a huge deal. I spent more on my own wedding photos than I did on anything else in my wedding... you don't get a do-over on wedding photos.

I'm thinking I start looking at wedding photography blogs, huh? Any other ideas? Obviously, the bride and groom are not really caring about quality, and the only standards here are going to be my own. However, I tend to beat myself up when I don't hit my mark.

Guess I'll make them a bound book as a gift. Ack. Help.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Kim, that's insane. And with that short of a notice, just do what you can! I am SURE you'll get some great pics for them, point and shoot or not!

I would have a look at photography blogs and sites to get some ideas. I think the main thing is to try to capture the day, and not be so concerned about posed shots (though you should still do a few).
Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

one of my absolute favorite sites is this one:

Canon Digital Photography

youll find lot's of examples for wedding photography there. I think it might even have its own category. Anyhow good luck. Let us know how it turns out

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Last edited by jessica31876; 11-29-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Just make sure you think like a 'regular' person and not a scrapper/photographer.

By that, I mean these people are likely not going to be into trendy artsy photojournalistic shots like we scrappers would like. They will prolly want dozens of posed family shots in all sorts of configurations and regular ol' photos of the walk down the aisle, the kiss, the cake cutting, etc. They will likely not even really care abt a lot of post-processing, either. As long as the picture is clear without any red eye and maybe a handful of sepia & BWs tossed in, too, they will be happy as clams with the photos you take. I would say you're putting way too much pressure on yourself to be perfect when the bride and groom just want some nice pictures of their special day.

You'll do fine! Think of it as a fun learning experience.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:22 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

for my wedding i also didn't have professional ($2k budget). I asked a friend who was pretty handy with a camera. I looked at some other wedding albums and discussed the shots she must get (and yes, some seemingly candid shots were staged). I am also pretty handy at editing. But, the most important thing is to discuss it with the bride/couple before hand. Also ask one of the groomsmen to take some shots (with another camera of course) of the groomsmen before the wedding.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chantal Miller View Post
But, the most important thing is to discuss it with the bride/couple before hand.
It would probably help if I knew the bride's name, eh? Seriously, my husband's family is messed up. I have a feeling that the original plan was for them to stand in the living room and say their vows before Christmas dinner. Then Cassi (married to Dan's brother) decided that wouldn't do and volunteered to take care of the details.

I said I'd do some invitations.Emailed the mother of the groom (Dan's sister) last night to get some details. I'm taking bets re: when I get a reply.

LeeAndra, you're probably right about the type of shots I'm thinking I'll take. I bet the ones I love aren't their favorites. I'll just take the posed shots and not worry about the rest.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kim- I took the photos at my SIL's wedding last Christmas. Well, it was me and the groom's aunt. She did all the posed photos and I did all the other stuff. I asked for a list of what photos they wanted and made sure I got those and just went with the flow on the rest.

I have some of the pics on my blog:
http://amandaheimanndesigns.com/blog/?p=800
http://amandaheimanndesigns.com/blog/?p=1180
slideshow: http://amandaheimanndesigns.com/blog/?p=1196

My biggest tip is to take the photos off your camera as soon as possible and back up! I did not know at the time but one of the files was corrupt (later the whole card ended up being corrupt) and had so many issues with the photos off that card. Once I figured out which file it was and deleted it everything was fine but I was so close to losing half the photos.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dad was the "photographer" for a cousin's wedding. I had to make sure to tell him when to take some pictures (i.e. cutting the cake, 1st dance, etc.) so you know this was definitely not a professional endeavor. This is where my scrapbook skills took over and I would have to say that their wedding album was one of the best albums I ever made. I picked up little souveneirs, tulle, etc. from the table to incorporate into their album and somehow, the finished project was a hit.

I know it's difficult but definitely try not to put pressure on yourself. I'm sure whatever pictures you give them will be wonderful.
Old 11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I did the photos at my brother and SIL's wedding reception & dinner in October, it was 2nd wedding for both of them and they've been together for a few years and have a sweet baby girl so they really wanted something small with just family & friends. I do have a dSLR/external flash but I'm definitely not a professional but we were all really pleased with how the photos turned out. They got married at the courthouse with only the parents there so the only photos of them actually getting married were taken with my SIL's P&S but I'm incorporating them into the album I'm making for them. The reception was at my parents house so I made sure to get photos of their table decorations, the cakes, cake topper, lots of photos of the guests, the toast, cake cutting and then we did some group photos etc. We didn't get alot of formal shots, but they didn't really want them and since it didn't start til 6:00-6:30 it was getting dark so we didn't try to go outside. But they are happy with what I got and I'm glad I was able to do it for them, otherwise I'm sure there wouldn't be many photos of the occasion!