Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-31-2014, 09:04 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you eat breakfast ?

I have been really trying to make sure I eat in the morning ( mostly to set an example for the kid ) but ugh! I hate eating in the morning !!! Id rather eat at like. 11. But that's pretty much lunch time for normal people ( which means I won't eat lunch till like 3). What do you eat in the morning ? I've tried so many different things and they all just make me blah. My kid suffers from monkey see monkey do syndrome though and turns into a terror for his teachers if he doesn't eat before school so I must continue trying I've always had difficulty with it though , since childhood. Eating too early upsets the tum. Fruit. Cereal. Eggs. Normal breakfast foods. Etc. Stomach is just a jerk.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yes...most mornings I will have some sort of green smoothie concoction and a banana (I don't like my bananas in my smoothie because they take over the flavor). If for some reason I'm out of what I need then I'll have yogurt and a banana. I don't eat anything super heavy in the morning.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually have a green smoothie. My favorite is a chocolate banana peanut butter one with spinach. My mornings are crazy, so it's easy to make and quick to eat.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2014, 09:13 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I had this SAME problem!!! I have finally figured out that I can eat grits with salt and butter (I know it's a southern thing - a lot of people feel the texture is odd). I also can't eat eggs by themselves in the morning but found I CAN do eggs in a hole (another southern thing) - something about having all that toast to sop up the egg. I figure even eating a banana tends to set a better example for my boys than me not eating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2014, 09:20 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Same thing every morning - half a blueberry bagel (I've tried every kind and Thomas are the best) with cream cheese and a handful of almonds. I'd suggest a piece of fruit and handful of nuts in the morning - that gets in some good nutrients but probably wouldn't be enough to upset your stomach... hopefully. I'm not a cereal person, and I think part of it is because dairy doesn't sit well with me in the morning.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

i'm allergic to nuts ^_^ . maybe i can try making smoothies.. even if kiddo doesnt consider that 'eating' i could probably make him drink one too
Old 03-31-2014, 09:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

my eating schedule runs pretty much like yours does Lauren!! but when i DO eat breakfast, the only ting that ever tastes good to me is granola and yogurt with some strawberries/blueberries/or raspberries mixed in. all other breakfast food is unappealing to me.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:49 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

my kid is the opposite... first thing he does in the morning is get up and is looking for breakfast! haha... but he is 7 - where his next meal is like the most important thing to him. So, he eats... cereal (gluten free), or if he can get Daddy to make him an egg (they both get up before me)... or he will eat fruit and yogurt... and at times, J will make himself protein pudding... like a protein shake, but instead of the ice in a blender, he just mixes water with the mix until it's like the consistency of pudding.

I've never been a bit breakfast person, even as a kid... so if I remember, I usually have a bowl of cheerios with a sliced banana. When I'm trying to eat better, I'll do an egg cup in the micowave... from Hungry Girl. On the weekends, hubby LOVES breakfast so he will do the whole eggs/bacon/toast thing... but kiddo always wants pancakes (gluten free of course...)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:49 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I either eat sausage biscuits or chicken biscuits. I can't stand sweet (even semi-sweet) food in the morning, it makes me gag. And I'm too lazy to cook, so frozen food for the win!

march challenge tracker | find me on instagram and pinterest | she/her
Old 03-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am always struggling with this. Hubs will always look for food once we get up. Me, i'm good with just coffee. I usually get hungry at 11, which is such a bad habit. Ironically, i love breakfast food (just not necessarily in the AM)

Old 03-31-2014, 10:03 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Try eating something non-breakfasty for breakfast. Maybe that will change it up so that you can tolerate it. Maybe an Avocado with some dressing or just salt and pepper. What about a grilled cheese with bacon sandwich? Something that you love and could eat all the time maybe?

I eat a Special K breakfast sandwich - Turkey Sausage, Egg, and Cheese on flat bread. I found that if I drink too much water too early, I get nauseous. So, I space my morning water out over the hour before I leave my house. Otherwise, I love a toasted mini bagel and peanut butter.

Do you like apple butter? Maybe that on a mini bagel or saltines. Raw veggies and dressing?
Good Luck - I hope you find something yummy and agreeable.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

if I eat breakfast, I usually go for something totally sugary and gross lol. I'm not a fan of food during the morning.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had this grand idea to start eating breakfast. By the time I get dishes, laundry, the baby/the four year old settled. I sit down to eat and it's 11 o'clock. Cole isn't much of a morning eater either. He will sometimes eat but, mostly we both just eat lunch.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

DH has issues with upset stomach when he eats too soon after he wakes up as well. He's found that he can tolerate a banana and a yogurt or overnight oats though.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am a hardcore breakfast person. It's my favorite meal. I can eat anything in the morning... french toast, grits, yogurt, waffles... but fried eggs with sauteed mushrooms & kale or spinach and a slice of muenster cheese on top is a fave and keeps me from snacking on sugar all day. I find that if I don't eat breakfast I graze constantly all day! I've also found that when I skip breakfast for several days in a row it's harder to get back in the habit. But once I'm in a breakfast-eating routine I can see the difference. It's definitely an important meal.

My DH can't tolerate breakfast at all. The idea of it turns his stomach. The only thing he will eat is a muffin... if I make banana muffins and keep them in the fridge then he will grab one of those to eat on his commute with his coffee.

You can make really hearty healthy muffins (filled with fruit, shredded carrot or zucchini, flaxseed, oats, etc.) and store them in the fridge for up to 2 weeks as a grab-and-go breakfast. Bulk it up when you're feeling adventurous with a scrambled egg or yogurt on the side.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love orange juice in the morning! I swear I craved it during my 2nd pregnancy and it has stuck. Our family (or maybe just my husband and I) can knock out a gallon of OJ in two days or less. It's not really breakfast but it gets our blood sugar going. I like an apple or half a bagel or yogurt to go with as well. I love yoplait whips yogurt. They're pretty much taste like dessert for me, but I eat them for breakfast!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm still doing low carb so I make a crustless quiche on Sundays with breakfast sausage (turkey or pork), mushrooms, fresh spinach, swiss cheese and eggs and bake it. Then each morning I get 1/6th of the quiche with a little salsa on top for breakfast. I just heat it for 45 secs in the micro and it's perfect. Plus I can eat it while I drive if I cut it before I leave the driveway.

My oldest loves smoothies for breakfast, we have one of those magic bullet things. She makes smoothies with peanut butter, milk, strawberries - it tastes like PB&J according to her. Sometimes she does ones with coffee - like a Frappuccino kind of thing. She HATES breakfast food. I let her eat leftovers all the time for breakfast. Hot Pockets are also a big hit with her - the pizza ones. I gave up worrying about it - as long as she eats and she gets fruits and veggies every day then she can chose.

The little one likes smoothies too - strawberry, banana, orange is her favorite. We also do Chocolate Instant breakfast for her a few days a week as I'm trying to keep her weight up (ADD meds make her not feel like eating and she loses weight). She has instant breakfast with a cheese stick or bacon (regular or turkey bacon depending on what we have.) She also likes cheese sticks and fresh fruit cut up in a bowl. When we're having a busy week I made hard boiled eggs to have to grab along with some pre-fried bacon (warm in micro).
Old 03-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to hate breakfast first thing in the morning so I would just have toast and juice. Now I need breakfast in the morning. Have you tried different varieties of eggs? I love soft-boiled or over-easy on buttered toast. DH scrambles them much more deliciously than I. I've also started buying Instant Oats. 1/2 cup oats to a cup of water cooked for 2 minutes in the microwave. Add a spoonful of brown sugar and eat, or go dangerous and add fresh or frozen fruit (my fave has been strawberries lately).

Old 03-31-2014, 10:45 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have refrigerator overnight oats pretty much every morning, adding different fruits and berries for variation.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:56 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hanna I love doing refrigerator oats too.

I'm a breakfast convert. I try to eat something an hour or so after I get up. I have a few favorites but it varies and I'll definitely eat non-breakfast foods too. I like to get my workouts done in the morning and I they're sucktastic if I don't eat anything beforehand.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I prefer leftovers for breakfast so I can just heat 'n' go. I don't like oatmeal or cereal (texture issues), and other breakfast foods require work.

My kid eats an 'oaken' (granola) bar every morning before school. She won't eat more than that, and since she has lunch around 11:30 (and a second lunch at her grandparents' after school lets out at 1 pm!), this works for her.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 AM
Administrator

profile gallery send pm

My fav is cutting up a potato to a small dice and letting it get crisp in a pan, then topping it with a fried egg, salsa and half an avocado. I don't like sugary breakfasts or cereal (sugary) because my coffee is usually pretty sweet.

Now I'm hungry.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

What about muffins? You could make muffins like once a week and freeze them? I love doing muffin and a smoothie for breakfast.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I typically eat Fage with a bit of jam. I'm a creature of habit
Old 03-31-2014, 12:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Trust me, my not having breakfast would not equal a good day from ANYONE that I might meet! I mean GROUCHY! Mine turns out to be either yogurt with Kashi cereal or whole wheat waffles with a little peanut butter. Breakfast has to include protein for me or it's back to the grouchies. I do enjoy oatmeal in the winter or the overnight oatmeal if I plan ahead and make it. I might have to put some of that stuff on the grocery list for tonight.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Breakfast for me usually comes around 11 or so as I get up fairly late (the joys of homeschooling and kiddos who are old enough to do their own thing in the a.m.). I don't eat much, usually just munch a few crackers or maybe some Rice Chex or something like that. I usually just follow my hunger cues. Sometimes I'm really hungry when I wake up (like today), but most of the time I'm not that hungry. I've never been a big breakfast eater, or at least not till I've been awake a couple of hourse.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have to eat first thing otherwise I dont survive. I eat the same thing everyday - fruit & flakey cereal with lactose free milk

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 03-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

brownie and pot of coffee this morning

Living life to the fullest!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk703 View Post
Try eating something non-breakfasty for breakfast. Maybe that will change it up so that you can tolerate it. Maybe an Avocado with some dressing or just salt and pepper. What about a grilled cheese with bacon sandwich? Something that you love and could eat all the time maybe?

I eat a Special K breakfast sandwich - Turkey Sausage, Egg, and Cheese on flat bread. I found that if I drink too much water too early, I get nauseous. So, I space my morning water out over the hour before I leave my house. Otherwise, I love a toasted mini bagel and peanut butter.

Do you like apple butter? Maybe that on a mini bagel or saltines. Raw veggies and dressing?
Good Luck - I hope you find something yummy and agreeable.
I was pleasantly surprised by those Special K sandwiches! They are good.

I also do instant oatmeal with a handful of almonds thrown in; or a whole wheat bialy; or sometimes a soft-boiled egg on toast. Guess I like to change it up or I get bored.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:00 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I, too, have trouble eating too much first thing in the morning. So I keep it very basic, but recently discovered protein shakes to be a great way to get in some calories and protein first thing in the morning without messing with the fact that I don't like food right away
Old 03-31-2014, 10:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I almost always eat a whole wheat English muffin with melted cheese on top. I like eggs and will sometimes make myself an egg white omelette on the weekend, but I don't have time to cook that on weekdays. I have problems with the timing, too. I'm up at 7, and by 9 I'm ready for breakfast. But I'm often too busy with getting the kids fed and out the door to eat until I get home from the second school run at 9:45. It doesn't really bother me, though; the later I eat, the less I snack.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I generally have an apple with some natural peanut butter and a small glass of almond milk.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2014, 10:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I LOVE breakfast. This thread has me drooling totally!! (And wishing I had some avocados!)

I generally am an oatmeal person - at home I will do quick cooking oats with milk & brown sugar and eat it with toast. At work, I'll do a small pack of instant oatmeal with a handful of almonds (because I leave for work way before any time that I'd actually eat breakfast, I almost always eat at work).

But I also love PB toast with a big glass of milk, or my husband makes yummy sandwiches using bagel thins, an egg, and cheese (and sometimes bacon or sausage if we have it and it's easy).

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 04-01-2014, 04:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love breakfast too. And I have to have it soon after I get up, regardless of what time that is (so even 5am on the days I go to work). And I always have cereal (wheat biscuits + natural muesli (I think that's what you call granola - mostly raw oats) + a sprinkling of psyllium, linseed-almond-sunflower meal, whole linseeds, pepitas + chopped fruit like banana, peach or strawberries + plain Greek yoghurt + a sprinkling of cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom + shredded coconut)... in winter I swap the wheat biscuits for porridge (oatmeal) but still add all the same other stuff and a drizzle of honey. Very yummy!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:30 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love breakfast!! Every morning, I put on the coffee and make oatmeal. I make it in my rice cooker so that I can shower and get ready while it cooks. When I'm done, so is the oatmeal. The rice cooker makes it nice and creamy and delicious. I love a hot, healthy breakfast on weekday mornings.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:34 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I usually have cereal for breakfast, but I love all breakfast foods!!! My husband bought a baker's dozen of bagels yesterday, so I had a toasted bagel & cream cheese this morning...yum!!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM
PLM

profile gallery

Waw, I really enjoyed reading this thread and your stories. I never realized there were so many different habits and people could actually have trouble with breakfast.

Me, I need breakfast, no matter what time I get up. But, not too soon and not too late...
And I'm really surprised no-one mentionned bread. I normally eat bread with some Nutella and an apple or banana.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:57 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is totally fun to read. I also am totally grouchy when I don't eat!

Traci's idea sounds delicious, I might have to try that!

I eat oatmeal every single morning... but a lot of people don't like oatmeal.

When I'm pregnant I can't eat anything sweet, milk, or eggs in the morning. It makes me sick. And, since I've been pregnant just a few times, i think my body decided it doesn't like those things even when I'm not pregnant anymore. So oatmeal has been the trick. Even though breakfast foods are by far my favorite.

I wish I wanted to do smoothies. I know it would be good for me, but I love love love eating my fruits and veggies whole and delicious. Plus, we'd go through WAY too much if I had a smoothie every morning. But it would be tasty! And I'd love to throw in the little extras.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Last year I had a stomach infection for most of the year, and I couldn't eat like I used to. I still can't eat breakfast. LOl...I used to eat like a hobbit (you know...1st breakfast and 2nd breakfast...). I'm finally back to a point where I can eat a small breakfast. I eat 1 little cup of yogurt right when I get up, and a scoop of peanut butter around 10 am.