Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default I hate this time of year...

I get so gloomy. Every year, I vow to get into the holiday spirit, and every year I'm just a big pile of bleh. What do you do to force yourself into a little christmas cheer?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:33 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I focus on creating joy and memories for my kids and for the rest of my family. Then I find something that I really want to do for myself each day and set aside 15 minutes to do that special something just for me. Then I don't feel like I'm putting so much out for others because I got my "me" time too.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

i put up my tree and fill it with colorful lights and watch the wonder in my children's faces! I adore this time of year though

Old 12-11-2013, 10:35 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I totally live through the excitement of kiddo... if it wasn't for that, be just the tree up and that is that...
Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I think the key is *not* forcing it. The pressure to be/act MORE joyful or MORE happy than you normally are is likely what is sabotaging the season for you.

I just love the Christmas tree... it makes me happy, the glowing lights and just the sight of it in my living room. I also happen to LOVE gifting... both giving and getting, so the suspense of the 25th is always there for me. I love that. Another thing that is huge now (as I mature) more than ever is my belief. It's at the core of my joy. I'm reading and trying to focus more on the reason for Jesus' birth, and what all that means. More than religious pious stuff but good & ugly let's-geteal-here stuff... about the bad news about me and the good news about Him. Gotta be truthful, it's more than the lights and the gifts for me that keeps me happy around Christmas. Because even that stuff can get annoying and stressful.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I fake it. I honestly do. I used to love Christmas and every year gets more miserable, though I know exactly why.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Drive around and look at Christmas lights. That helps a lot. Also talk to Nicholas about how excited he is.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Embrace your inner child. Wes and I are big kids and we have no interest in doing boring grown-up stuff any more than we have to (isn't that what work is for?). Play some games, put together Legos, drink cocoa with scads of marshmallows, watch cartoons, color with crayons in a silly coloring book - anything a kid would do, but for whatever reason, is silly for grown-ups to do.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:34 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
I think the key is *not* forcing it. The pressure to be/act MORE joyful or MORE happy than you normally are is likely what is sabotaging the season for you.
This. Don't worry about all the stuff you're "supposed" to do. Enjoy the things you enjoy, and let the other stuff go. I'm not feeling as festive this year as I usually do, but I'm also not as stressed because I've decided not to worry about doing so many of the extra things that make this time of year crazy.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:57 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For me the short days are seriously the issue..and it gets worse and worse every year (and this year with the ice and snow and all 3 of us being sick it's been horrible). I'm usually able to find some Christmas cheer by decorating, baking, shopping for gifts but we've all been stuck in the house. This weekend we're getting a tree, putting it up and buying baking supplies. I'm ready to snap out of it!
Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hate it, too. I usually just avoid it and feel guilty about it.

I just hate to spend money on stuff we only use one month a year, plus I'm not so great at decorating. And plus plus I hate crafting, and Christmas is a time for crafts.

I'm no help for anything except solidarity.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:25 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The other day I was finishing up Christmas shopping and coming out of the store I kept thinking "It really is SO silly that I'm buying gifts for all these family members who don't need a single thing, but they're going to give me a gift and I don't really need a single thing and why do we do this gift thing?" I love Christmas... but don't love the gift-giving piece. If I could just focus on my kids and the joy of Christmas morning, that would be enough for the gifts. ANYWAY... so I'm driving away and wanting to fix my attitude and I see a homeless lady standing at the intersection with a sign that says "hungry". So I march into Chipotle and order her the same thing I would get there, go back to the intersection and give it to her. Point... my attitude gets better when I take the focus off of myself and the list of things I "need" to do. I just need to remember that more
Old 12-12-2013, 11:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I hate it too. I wish we could stop the gifting (for adults) because it stresses me out and I have always hated "forced" gifting. But every time I suggest it, no one agrees.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I struggle at this time of year also since the boys are all older. It's just not the same and it makes me very sad.

We stopped all gifting with others except the boys, so at least that is easier.