Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2016, 10:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default QOTD - Birthdays - 01.13.16

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks (don't worry -- I won't make you remember which day!) so I want to know what you usually do to celebrate yours?! How should I insist my family celebrate my gloriousness on the day of my birth?!?

Any fun traditions? Any cute things you do with your kids or your kids do for you? Please share so I can get some plans in motion BEFORE the actual day.
Old 01-14-2016, 12:17 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Not much. I'm not a birthday person.

We do angel food cake and gifts with the family. And we always use the number candles. The kids then pick a friend and an activity. We take pick up the friend, do the activity, eat dinner out and then drop the friend off.

Easy peasy.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not much of a birthday person either. If anything I'll go somewhere different for lunch

Sent from my SM-G318H using Tapatalk

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 01-14-2016, 04:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We either stay at home (end of July, super hot in here) and eat homemade dishes or stay at home and order something fancier. We don't do anything special -- just sit, talk and eat (like we do each and every holiday, actually). Sometimes my sister or mother decorate with balloons for some added festivity. Then the presents part and that's it.
I've given up going out with friends for my birthday because it's too boring, I don't feel special and I don't drink so it's no fun for me.
However, I've always wanted to do something cool on my birthday -- like go somewhere I've never been before, buy/try something I've never tried before and in the recent years I've been wanting to have a pinata thing because it seems so cool when the kids do it lol
--
Mama to Albert
Old 01-14-2016, 04:43 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Dont celebrate mine.usaly go out for diner with my boys.
Because when i stay home.people still come by because they dont accept that i dont celebrate.

Have a fun day at your birthday
Old 01-14-2016, 05:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My birthday is a few days before Christmas which is our summer and big summer break period. So I never went to school on my birthday and now I make sure that I never work on my birthday. I also never cook, so hubby has to either organise take away or take me (and the kids) out for dinner.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:05 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

For my birthday we are at our summer camp and have a big BBQ with lots of family and friends and then we have a street dance and fireworks!!!

Hahaha - we really do but it's because my birthday is on the 4th of July So while we do all the above it has nothing to do with me! Everyone will say "happy birthday" to me and I'll say thanks and that's the extent of my specific celebration It's always a fun time though and I could care less if people actually remembered it was my birthday since I'm not a birthday person either.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We have a tradition that the birthday person gets breakfast in bed. That is always fun, even it's just Dunkin Doughnuts and coffee with all 4 of us piled in chatting. Now that my kids are older we just do it the weekend morning closest to the birthday person's birth day.

I find birthdays to be pretty blah...I hate getting older. However, I've started doing something special for myself. Last year I bought myself a girlfriend weekend cruise with some of my scrap friends. This year i"m planning on meeting up with a couple different good friends on the weekend of my birthday and I have a few scheduled for the next weekends after - yeah for time with girl friends and feeling guilt free for it!!!

ETA - I don't leave anything up to m husband to make it happen, because it never will meet my expectations. So I finally just decided to plan what would make me happy and that has worked so much better for me!!!

For those of you that want to do something like the pinata or go on a trip. Do it!!! Don't wait! My dad passed away this week at 67. He and my mom were just finally retiring and looking forward to travel and then he got sick and died in a 6 month period. Do it now while you will enjoy it - don't wait!!!

Last edited by julifish; 01-14-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:33 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I couldn't agree more, Juli! Don't wait til later to do the things you want to do.

We will usually go out to lunch or dinner on the day of the person's birthday...unless you are my husband. His birthday is on Halloween so if it's on a weeknight we will go out to dinner either the weekend before or after. If it falls on a weekend then we'll do lunch. Other than that, nothing special.

Old 01-14-2016, 10:01 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a huge birthday person... I had a cousin that died when she was in her early thirties. She told my mom that you celebrate all the big things and the little things... you never know how many you have left... that has always stuck with me. If it wasn't for that person's birth - think about how empty life would be...

That being said, I'm pretty low key on my birthday... tradition is that at 11:29am (the time of my birth), my mom calls me/is physically next to me to wish me a happy birthday. My mom always makes my birthday cake... homemade carrot cake is my favorite. My hubby and step dad will usually take the day or a half day off and we do things as a family with Mom and J... this last birthday, we went to Milwaukee and spent a long weekend there.

I go all out for my son's birthday... I always make his cake, we have a party with the family with a fun theme... I spend months planning.

My hubby is getting better... but he comes from a family that if they remember your birthday, you might get a phone call.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
For my birthday we are at our summer camp and have a big BBQ with lots of family and friends and then we have a street dance and fireworks!!!

Hahaha - we really do but it's because my birthday is on the 4th of July So while we do all the above it has nothing to do with me! Everyone will say "happy birthday" to me and I'll say thanks and that's the extent of my specific celebration It's always a fun time though and I could care less if people actually remembered it was my birthday since I'm not a birthday person either.
LOL! At first I was like, "Dang! I seriously need to rethink my birthday expectations!"
Old 01-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I always expect to be treated like a queen on my birthday because I've ALWAYS made a FREAKING BIG DEAL about everyone's birthday. But the last 5 years or so have kinda sucked. Last year I headed the whole thing off by planning my own birthday party (Divergent themed, lol!) and invited only my bestest of friends.

I know it's self-centered to want the attention, but.. come on. Gimme something, people!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

My birthday the boys always all seem to be away at summer camp with the scouts. So normally I do something fun for myself. (Better than sitting in my house having a pity party I guess.)
Old 01-14-2016, 10:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My goal on my birthday is always to only do things I WANT to do... i.e. no cleaning the house, cooking dinner, etc. Most of the time, I will go out to lunch or a movie with a friend, then out with my family for dinner. Last year, my daughter and I got pedicures together, which was fun. My mom always takes me shopping for my birthday (not the actual day, though) - I like that tradition since it gives us time together (just the 2 of us) which we rarely get since I have 3 kids. lol
Old 01-14-2016, 11:15 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For adult birthdays, the birthday person gets to take a weekend day of their choice off from parenting. My birthday is in March, so I usually save my day for iNSD in May. DH usually takes his right near his birthday so he can watch football all day.

On the actual birthday we do gifts and a treat of the birthday person's choice. We're not big cake people, so it's often ice cream sundaes or chocolate with a candle in it. Then on the weekend closest to the birthday we go out to dinner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My birthday is always the one that gets over looked every year.... If I don't do something for myself or tell the guys exactly what I would like for them to do nothing happens, and I really don't see the point if I only get something special because I said so �� With that said I still get excited and joke around about it.... My birthday is within a few days of mother's day, (sometimes it's even the same day) and because I think it's unfair both of 'my days' get squished together I like to call it the 'week of me' and joke that we're going to celebrate all week long.... Of course that never happens, but it's fun to tease the kids... How awesome would it be if they actually did make plans on their own all week long? ��
Old 01-14-2016, 01:53 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yiiii. It's my birthday next week, normally I will wake up with a boquet of flower shoved on my face by my daughter but since my husband isn't here I guess I'll just take my daughter out to eat or watch a movie. I'm also thinking of picnic then I'll ask my sibs and nephew to join us. I told the hubs not to make special order of flowers like he did on our anniv last year because it's different when he and my daughter's the one buying them.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I have these dreams of being pampered and showered with gifts on my Birthday. It never happens though because everyone is broke by the time my day comes. 2 days after Christmas is a hard one to have.

We mostly just go out to dinner so I don't have to cook. Sometimes I'll make my own cake, sometimes I won't.

My kids get a family birthday for theirs. We get together and maybe play games, have dinner and then I make their cakes for them.

It's craziness though as far as celebrations go in my family. My daughter kicks off the season with her Birthday on October 7th, then it's go go go with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, My Birthday, New Years, DH birthday on Jan 26th then finishing off the whole thing with DS's Birthday on Feb 1st. I wouldn't change it for the world though.
Old 01-14-2016, 02:59 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I usually don't celebrate my birthday with a big party or anything like that. I usually go to work.
A few years ago I spend some birthdays at Disneyland during Halloween season, but I missed having my family (parents, grandparents) around me on my birthday. So I don't do that anymore. We celebrate Halloween at Disneyland a week later.

Old 01-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We do lunch or dinner on birthday (depends on day of week). I do like the idea of celebrating even if just small every event since we don't know how many anything we have. Live life to the fullest.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNtheBoys View Post
My birthday is always the one that gets over looked every year.... If I don't do something for myself or tell the guys exactly what I would like for them to do nothing happens, and I really don't see the point if I only get something special because I said so
Yeah, that's how i feel too. Why can't they do something cool for me on their own?

Buttheads.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My youngest throws me a surprise party every year! It's the cutest thing in the entire world. Around my birthday I hear her chattering with my mom, my aunt, or my sister about buying balloons and decorating the house!! They always call me and let me know what she's up to so I'll be able to act surprised!
Old 01-15-2016, 09:32 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

For my last birthday, I wanted to do nothing!! I didn't cook a meal, didn't clean anything, and didn't change a diaper! I got some scrapping time in, snuggles with my kids during movies, and just relaxed all day. That is a rare thing. My hubby kept the kids fed and the house clean. He kept asking if I really didn't want to do anything and I said it was a perfect day!
Old 01-15-2016, 10:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stowell14 View Post
For my last birthday, I wanted to do nothing!! I didn't cook a meal, didn't clean anything, and didn't change a diaper! I got some scrapping time in, snuggles with my kids during movies, and just relaxed all day. That is a rare thing. My hubby kept the kids fed and the house clean. He kept asking if I really didn't want to do anything and I said it was a perfect day!
That's my idea of a perfect day, too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2016, 11:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to JMC1988

Welp, my birthday is pretty important/special to me and my family, seeing as I didn't start out to well in this world! Born 2 months premature and stayed in the hospital for 3 months after I was born. My parents have always made my birthday a big deal! Nothing to over the top, but special to me because my mom and dad always make is special!

Most of the time I spend my birthday with my parents and some of my closet relatives. We usually go out to eat at one of my favorite restaurants and then usually my mom and I do something with just the 2 of us (usually a Nicholas Sparks movie as they have seemed to come out the Friday before my birthday lately). This year I have taken the Friday before my birthday off and my mom, dad and I are planning on daytripping, who knows where we will end up. One of the requirements for my birthday that I get every year is a Dairy Queen icecream cake! I know I'm spoiled!

22 days and counting down until my birthday! Woohoo!

Old 01-15-2016, 11:17 PM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

Our celebrations vary from year to year. Some years I want a big to-do, like my 40th. I had two parties and a total of 8 cakes! This coming May is my 50th and I want to go to the beach. We won't make it on the actual day, but are planning the trip for next summer for our bdays. Some years I don't really care - as long as everyone calls me with bday wishes. Sometimes we go eat somewhere fancy, that we wouldn't normally do. When my girls were younger they got the whole day being waited on hand and foot - whatever they wanted to do or eat: basically queen for the day. As adults they say they miss that!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:16 AM
Sugar Baby

profile gallery send pm

I had wanted to something bigger for my 40th but I was very pregnant and very sick so that never happened. Didn't do anything for my husband's 40th since I'd just had a baby. Usually we don't do much for adult birthdays - dinner out and something the birthday person wants to do (I want scrappy time this year but the husband is trying to convince me I want to go see Star Wars instead - he's only got a few more hours to convince me since mine is tomorrow - yippee!). The kiddos it's still a pretty big deal (boy will be 10 this year; the girl will be 2) so parties or trips for them.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

No tradition for birthdays, here. But, I always try to always have a special nice birthday dinner/lunch together as a family in a restaurant that the birthday person choose.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My birthday is right in the middle of our fall harvest, so I typically celebrate by working for fourteen hours. It totally sucks, but I Colby tries to celebrate me after we are done.

His birthday is in March so we usually take fun vacation... That's kinda my present, too! lol.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
My youngest throws me a surprise party every year! It's the cutest thing in the entire world. Around my birthday I hear her chattering with my mom, my aunt, or my sister about buying balloons and decorating the house!! They always call me and let me know what she's up to so I'll be able to act surprised!
That is so cute!!!
How sweet of her.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I get my free Mexican meal. That's my only real tradition. Otherwise, I work normally.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think that my husband might be taking the kids to Indianapolis this coming weekend to see his son & parents so having A WHOLE WEEKEND KID-FREE (which I haven't had even one night off since before DS was born 21 months ago) would be the ultimate gift. We'll see if it actually happens or not.