Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 07-15-2020, 10:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Non-Chronological Organizing/Albums

I'm watching a YT video where this woman is using a non-chronological system for her pages. She is showing a Volume One of her family's stories that she scrapped from August 2019 through May 2020. The pages/photos are not from that time; that's just how many pages she made between those two dates about her family. Sometimes she has several pages in a row with a common theme but different chronologies: her kids now, her kids before, her husband as a child, she as a teen. Sometimes she has just one page about a theme/story and moves right onto the next theme.

My Type A Enneagram 1 brain just cannot fathom organizing this way. Don't get me wrong -- I think it's fascinating to look at & more power to those of you who can just go with the flow as the Muse takes you. Disclaimer: I do not scrap in chronological order... but I definitely print & organize chronologically.

I'm just trying to think through how this works once your pages are printed. You would just not know what pages were in any given book, right? It would just be a surprise when you opened the album to see what was inside? If you print or organize your pages this way, clue me in on how this works. How did you decide on a non-chronological way of scrapping? What made you decide this worked better for you than a more traditional/chronological approach?

I really want to try to understand this so thanks for any light you can shed on this for me!
Old 07-16-2020, 07:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I wouldn't print this way by choice, but I have over 3,000 unprinted pages that aren't chronological. So do I never print them or print them with dates all over the place? Hmmm
Old 07-16-2020, 07:55 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Years ago, I followed Stacy Julian's library of memories method, where you organize pages according to different categories, like People We Know, Places We Go, etc. I thought I would love it because then I could always add pages wherever and not worry about chronology. (This was back in my paper days with ginormous, bulky binders). I hated it. My brain just doesn't work like that. I need chronology to hang everything on--that structure. I put everything back in chronological order. I don't necessarily scrap my pages in order, but I print them in order. It isn't a perfect system, because once I print, that book is closed and I can't add to it. Do I still make pages that "go" in that book? Yes. I'm not sure how I'm going to print those. Maybe make an addendum or appendix book, lol, full of pages that never made it in the original books. I don't know.

Maybe some people could handle the random-ness of printing any old way, or in different categories.

Old 07-16-2020, 07:58 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnZant View Post
I wouldn't print this way by choice, but I have over 3,000 unprinted pages that aren't chronological. So do I never print them or print them with dates all over the place? Hmmm
Lynn, I think any printing is better than no printing. Could you organize them chronologically and print a bit at a time? I save all my pages according to week number in their particular year. That way, I can scrap all over the place and still keep everything in chronological order. I keep notes on what I still need to scrap to finish up a year or time slot. 3000 pages is a lot, though! Maybe you could print your faves or highlights?

Old 07-16-2020, 08:17 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have a non-chronological order for scrapping too. I feel that I should've started with albums the minute I started scrapping but since that was in 2006...I am just not capable to create yearly albums at this moment. Just because my memory isn't what it used to be so journaling certain memories would be difficult. I do not print albums but I do print individual layouts that I then frame and display in between photos of my family
Old 07-16-2020, 10:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That would drive me nuts...it sounds cool though. I print vacations into books but my daily pages/normal pages I print 12x12 and put into binder like books. I have a ton of pages that I need to print. It is my goal this summer/fall to start printing.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:55 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So I will jump in here. I am totally an organizer planner type personality. However.....
I do not print or scrap in chrono order.

My albums are full of any pages between a certain year of when I scrapped them. So yes you'd get baby photos with teen photos and moments.
WHY?
For me there's a couple reasons...
1. I just want the photos / memories in albums. To be enjoyed. Why fuss over if they're not in order and potentially MISS OUT on sharing those memories in the albums to be enjoyed and looked at. I mean, God forbid, what If I pass away sooner than I'd like and I don't have all the albums printed. What would I be leaving my family then?

2. Looking back at my childhood, my dad loved to take photos of us and I can remember looking through our albums. There would be many memories / events grouped together but for the most part the albums just held our memories and I always loved just looking through them. It didn't matter if they were in order. It only mattered that they were there for me to look through when I wanted. And that is the legacy I want my children and family to have. I think often WE as the memory keepers have this "it's mine" complex of how we want it done so I did away with that thinking and figured if it didn't bother my hubby and kids then it shouldn't bother me.

I hope that helps give some insight. ♥♥

Last edited by Kiana; 07-16-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
Lynn, I think any printing is better than no printing. Could you organize them chronologically and print a bit at a time? I save all my pages according to week number in their particular year. That way, I can scrap all over the place and still keep everything in chronological order. I keep notes on what I still need to scrap to finish up a year or time slot. 3000 pages is a lot, though! Maybe you could print your faves or highlights?
I do have them in their own year folder with the month number in front of the file name, but it seems overwhelming to just choose a few.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:52 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
Lynn, I think any printing is better than no printing.
I totally agree!

Old 07-17-2020, 01:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm like Kiana; I just want my family to have something to hold in their hands, look at, and enjoy.

My books are grouped by when the pages were scrapped and then put in a kind of chronological order within each book. So, you might start with a page of me at Christmas 1982 and end with Independence Day 2020. And I'm okay with that.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Same:
I do not scrap in chronological order... but I definitely print & organize chronologically.

I have printed indv'l pages in a really long time...since I decided to print completed books. I haven't completed a book (year) in awhile. LOL

I have printed vacation books, themed books, etc.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I think if I was printing loose pages I could see doing that, but not a bound book. That would drive nuts.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:21 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure I could deal with that either. While I don't scrap or print in chronological order, I do add the print into 3 ring binders organized by the year. If I happen to have a layout that doesn't fit (like a heritage page or one of when I was a kid/baby) I just add it to the year I created it. That works for me & my type-A brain!
Old 07-17-2020, 09:25 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I couldn't do it! Very often I'll pull out our books looking for a specific layout or event. If my albums weren't chronological I wouldn't know where to start.

I used to scrap all over the place so I printed single pages. When I decided to switch to photobooks I started scrapping somewhat chronologically. I pick a time period to focus on (like Jan to June 2019) and stick to that until it's completed. It was a huge change at first, but I love it now. I used to always put off scrapping things like birthdays and big events (and my favorite pictures, because I worried I wouldn't do them justice). I still have gaps in my early albums because of it. Now I have to get over myself, push through those pages and get it all done so I can print.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2020, 03:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't scrap chronologically, but I definitely want my books in order.

It's one of the things that stopped me when I was a paper scrapper. I used CM, and it just "killed" me when I missed an even that should have been on the back of one of those pages. LOL!

I print individual pages with Persnickety so that I can put them in the order I want, plus add additional memorabilia.

I printed small books for Mom, MIL and DD for Mother's Day, and have thought about printing some bound books for my mom. Those would be easier for her to look through because they aren't so heavy.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:25 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I'm a theme scrapper and print 12x12 from PP. However, I will put the layouts in chronological order in the books. For instance, my books are sorted by family (Dad's or Mom's), a "Book of Me" (all things pertaining to me), Disney has its own album and then a general travel album. A cruise in 2010 has its own album. I have also started an album to all things pertinent to my town and an album all about the house from the time it was built in the mid-60's to current times (renovations etc).

I don't necessarily scrap in chronological order unless I'm working on a specific project. I just finished a project about my cousin's family from the time of her wedding in 1976 until now.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

wow, not even my way of organizing and my eye is just twitching thinking about it... haha!!

I have thousands of pages on my hard drive... I used to print out ones for the year to tape up on the wall for my son's birthday and then put them in 3 ring binders. I noticed that they weren't being looked at, but the bound books on vacations/december daily were... so I have decided to get my pages printed in a bound book. I print by year... and it's in order for that year. So when I get 110 (I don't remember what the max is for shutterfly), I print a volume... will I have a January photo in volume 3, yes... and I'm okay with that, the bulk is in chronically order. So far it has been great and my family is looking at the books... and if I can get the deal of unlimited pages - cheaper than printing page by page and having page protectors, etc.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I would love to watch this video can you share I don't scrap chronologically either, but what I do do is put the DATE (whether that day and year or just year) on every single LO. So if something doesn't get printed in a yearly book or whatever, it will still have the date on it so anyone can refer back to it. sometimes I even document the date of the photo and then the date of the journaling.
I like the idea of printing random pages because I honeslty don't think anybody that looks thorough any of my books is going to care whether they re chronological or not I actually think it would be fun to have a book with pages that reflected my childhood memories along with family vacations and everyday LO's.
I am working on a book for Abby and I basically am just uploding all of my LO's to shutterfly and putting them under the year of the pictures (which is how I have always saved/scrapped them)....
I also like Rebecca's idea of when you get to 110, no matter what those layouts are, print them
Old 07-19-2020, 08:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm like Kiana, at the end of the day, I'd rather have the memory preserved than worry too much about the exact sequence. In a perfect world everything would be in complete chronological order, but I have to balance what's practical, so for me, things are roughly in chronological order, but I don't sweat it if I have a few other layouts thrown in that aren't. I print books annually, so whatever I make is included. I will usually have a section at the end for pages with photos outside of the print period. Everything is dated, so there is no mystery when it happened.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:41 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nTj1eihDjc&t=1458s
Old 07-19-2020, 10:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I didn't watch the whole video, but the sections I did, it makes sense I think since she's calling it "Our Stories". Makes me think about the About me album I have, that I add to periodically. There isn't a rhyme or reason to the order or anything like that. I have it kind of set up in Chronological order as best I can, but since it's more like me reflecting, telling stories, it's going to be all over the place. That album too, I journal as if I'm speaking to the kids. In my regular scrapbooks for everyday life, I journal like I'm telling you guys a story.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

This is how I do it!
I don't mind... my "justification" (to myself) is that I don't reflect on memories in chronological order, so why should my book have to be?
I'm not motivated to scrapbook chronologically, and I'm highly motivated by printing books, so... printing "mixed memories" books is what works for me. So, when I have "enough" pages for a book (I aim for 100-120) I print those pages. (Project Life are separate and don't count to the 100 & I have a Disney book in the works that will be its own book)

In the last book I printed, the pages in the book are not chronological-- I tried to make colors look nice together on facing pages and was also mindful to have an even distribution of my kids. So I kind of went "page with just son, page with both or everyone, page with just daughter, page with both or everyone, repeat"
My son is 3 on one page, 7 on the next, and 2 a few pages later and it doesn't bother me (and nobody who has looked at my book has been confused by the "time travel" ). I'm just happy to have something to hold & look at.

The next time I print a book, I might do chronological within that book (mostly just because it will be faster as my file names are YYYY-MM-DD Title).

I print on the spine: "Mixed Memories: Vol. 1. 2010-2019" So there's a slight (ever-so-slight, hahaha) narrowing-down of what you'll find in the book. The cover is (got this idea from someone here!) a page from the book without the picture/journaling, so they're easily distinguishable from one another.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I do not scrap or print chronologically. I just randomly scrap photos that I love or that fit a certain CT kit and then when I print, I just grab all of the layouts that haven't been printed yet.

For me, this is far less stressful than trying to scrap all photos from a specific date range before moving on to the next. My kids don't care that they're not chronological, they just love looking through the pages and memories.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Glad to see a few others are like me....lol
I was outnumbered for a bit

Old 07-20-2020, 08:22 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

This is exactly why back in the discussion of the Shutterfly (I think it was Shutterfly?) books I was so hesitant to give up my way and switch to printing bound books. The bound books are SO pretty I think. But like someone else has said, my memory is not what it used to be. Fibromyalgia screws with your memory and daily cognitive functions - I've just given it the affectionate term "swiss cheese brain". The most random useless stuff is there as strong as it was when it happened, other stuff has fallen through the holes. So when I'm scrapping I often can't remember exact dates and have to look back and hope there's a date stamp in the file information. I sometimes can't remember where the picture was taken, or what we were doing or why we were there. A few pictures I have, I've had to ask my husband so I could finish the layouts. And when I've printed my layouts and I'm slipping them into page protectors, it's not an unusual thing for me to have a brief case of...well, I guess you could call it a sort of dyslexic episode. To accidentally put a layout from (example) September 2019 in front of August 2019 or something like that, and then a month or two later when I pop the album out to glance through I realize my mistake. With individual pages in protectors I can do that as many times as I need, if I switched to bound books I'd better hope I get it right the first time.

Not to mention, I can print all those layouts as out of order as I want, and I'll just put them in chronological order or whatever order I want when I receive them. That's the biggest positive for me. I'll always still have a backlog of unprinted layouts that I'm waiting to print, but not because they're in too random of an order to do anything with.

Kudos to you who have found the inner peace to be able to say "I don't care if they're in chronological order, what's important is having them in albums for my families to enjoy". Deep down inside I feel that way too, but my OCD is a bully who shoves that sentiment aside and says "Are you really going to listen to this sappy loser?"
Old 07-22-2020, 08:34 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I do not scrap in order....other than a vacation or special occasion.

I print mostly 12x12 pages, totally as I scrap so they are not in order chronologically, but they must go in the album in order... I think it would drive me crazy to see the pages all mixed up.

If its a vacation or special occasion, I usually make a book.

I used to try to scrapin order, (when I was a paper scrapper) but it did not work for me when I went digital. Some years I will do a yearly book (eventually I would like to get this done for all our married years. )

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 07-24-2020, 10:12 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm a bit late to this thread but, I am a HUGE organization freak. All my albums from 1990-2008 are chronological. BUT I wasn't enjoying scrapping in order so now I scrap out of order, print my pages, and they go in the kids individual books in the order they were scrapped. I am shocked it works for me but it does... and the kids like the variety. I just make sure to date every single page.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:20 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjcaz View Post
I'm a bit late to this thread but, I am a HUGE organization freak. All my albums from 1990-2008 are chronological. BUT I wasn't enjoying scrapping in order so now I scrap out of order, print my pages, and they go in the kids individual books in the order they were scrapped. I am shocked it works for me but it does... and the kids like the variety. I just make sure to date every single page.
I could have written this (except for the years, because I didn't start digiscrap until 2007 and I had so few paper pages that I don't count those years lol). I realized that I scrap in order to pass on memories/enjoy the fun I/my family have had. So why worry so much about chronology? I still try to print my yearly albums in chrono order, but I also do albums for my kids. They're never in order, but they always love looking through them! I write "Remember This YYYY - YYYY." At least I have an idea what years will be included lol! Sometimes I'll even say "YYYY - YYYY, but mostly 2016" if one year is more prominent.