Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 09-26-2017, 02:00 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Qotd: Do you talk about work with friends and family?

Do you talk about work with friends and family? If so, do they have any idea what you're talking about?

I do talk about work with friends and family sometimes, but I work for such a complicated organisation so they have no idea what I'm talking about. But that's ok.
They know what I do for a job, but that's it.
I do have some co-workers that became good friends over the years and luckily they totally understand.

Old 09-26-2017, 02:37 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

No, my work is complex and too hard to explain to anyone in any detail. They know where I work but mostly wouldn't have a clue what I do there.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:07 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't work outside of the home - but I talk about homeschooling (ie methods, curriculum company's pro/cons, etc)... and my family humors me.

I talk about work with my husband every night at dinner - he needs to destress. Even though I haven't been in corporate American for 9 years, I still get the culture and we talk about management structure theories and best practices, troubleshooting, etc. I may not be an electrical engineer by schooling - but I do "get" certain aspects of the process. My hubby will also spend hours talking about radio (his part time job)... I know way, way too much about radio for a person who has never been on "air."
Old 09-26-2017, 08:53 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

When I was still working, yes. I only tell them the fun stuff/part of my work.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Long ago, when Dan and I didn't have kids and we were both working in related jobs, we talked about them more. (We talked about everything more, back when we had time alone together and no kids to talk about!) These days we only talk about our jobs a little. From time to time I'll share something cute or funny that my students did. And by the time Dan gets home from work, talking about his job is the last thing he wants to do.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

When we worked in separate jobs I would try to talk to him about work, mostly just to vent, but he never really understood and I luckily had a close friend at work I could talk about work issues with.

Now that I work for his company alongside him, we talk about work a lot. haha! You wouldn't think so since it consumes most of our days but it feels good to be able to vent to each other and understand completely.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 09-26-2017, 10:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I mostly complain about some of the whiners I work with and how whiny they are...grown ass men whining...the women I work with are a piece of cake compared to the men.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I work at home as a Brand Manager and my husband knows a lot about what I do. I also just started an early morning job cleaning at the nearby university. My husband doesn’t get most of it but my mom works in the building I do and knows a lot of the same people. She knows everyone lol! So I’ll talk with her about things.

My husband talks to me all of the time about different projects, meetings, and calendar things that he has going on at work. I know many of his coworkers and we’ll talk whenever we see them. It’d be weird to NOT talk about his work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sure. I tell everyone I know what a pain my kids are sometimes!

My husband is a financial analyst (which is a hard job to explain to other people) and is currently setting up a new out-of-state location for the company so doing some financial analysis + some accounting + some project management. People's eyes (including mine) glaze over when he talks for more than 5 minutes at a time about his job.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:45 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I talk to friends and family about work, though I don't usually get into the minutia of what I do.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do fairly indepth without breaking confidentiality to my mum because she has either worked in a similar setting - non government organization or the same exact work but to other family and friends not so much as they wouldnt understand and get bored fairly quickly

Scrappy Instagram

Creative Team Member for The Lilypad & Studio Liv

Old 10-07-2017, 11:39 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Yes - especially to my sister since she used to work for the same company and she understands what I'm talking about. I talk to my husband and kids but they don't usually understand what I'm talking about.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

yes but in general terms.