Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 03-04-2018, 03:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default Winter

So... we are totally new to the concept of winter (and seasons in general). I was born & raised in So Cal and now we are in Boise, ID.
I've been indoors this winter more than I should be!

Do you brave the cold and do things outdoors? If so, what do you do? (Other than really athletic things like skiing, etc...I'm way out of shape because of an injury and also very uncoordinated!!).
Old 03-04-2018, 03:28 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I love Winter. I go outside a lot. I go out for a walk very often. Not only at home but also during lunch break at work.

Old 03-04-2018, 03:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

haha well I just showed you but..

you could join in :P

Old 03-04-2018, 03:32 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I do not like winter at all.. definitely the least favorite season for me.. I am out almost everyday since I walk my son to and from school and stuff but if I don't have to, I am rather stuck and cozy at home . Can't wait till spring starts!
Old 03-04-2018, 03:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
I love Winter. I go outside a lot. I go out for a walk very often. Not only at home but also during lunch break at work.
Sarah, do you bundle up to go out? It seems like I'm freezing when I first go out, but then I start warming up and have to un-bundle! LOL! I could start dropping layers behind me & it would look like some romantic bedroom scene of a trail of clothes! :P
Old 03-04-2018, 03:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
haha well I just showed you but..

you could join in :P

Kristin, this looks like SO MUCH FUN!!!
Old 03-04-2018, 03:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagi View Post
I do not like winter at all.. definitely the least favorite season for me.. I am out almost everyday since I walk my son to and from school and stuff but if I don't have to, I am rather stuck and cozy at home . Can't wait till spring starts!
I can totally see now how you wouldn't like winter. I really am liking it, but it is hard to drag myself out in the cold!
I am SO looking forward to spring just because I can't wait to see everything come back to life again!
Old 03-04-2018, 04:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
Sarah, do you bundle up to go out? It seems like I'm freezing when I first go out, but then I start warming up and have to un-bundle! LOL! I could start dropping layers behind me & it would look like some romantic bedroom scene of a trail of clothes! :P
Haha lol. I can imagine.
Yes, I bundle up. Layers and layers of clothes. Lol.
I love to go out and come back inside feeling good about the walk. I also love to come back inside and warm up with a nice cup of coffee.

Old 03-04-2018, 04:48 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We go sledding a lot (it helps that we have a gator/quad to ride up the hill! ) We don't go anywhere crazy- out to the lake house (lake couer d'alene) or up to my hubby's grandpa's Mount Spokane property (up on a big hill- perfect for sledding!)

I take our dog for walks everyday- if it's really cold we just go to the mailbox & back, but when it's nicer- we go around the neighborhood.

I feel like I get my winter workouts by shoveling our driveway- but then it's nice & clean & the kids can play out there at least (jump rope, basketball, etc.) Sometimes they just NEED to get OUT of my house! lol!
Old 03-04-2018, 07:22 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm from Las Vegas, but I did spend some of my childhood in Utah, so I'm no stranger to winters. WIth that being said, I stay inside as much as possible, lol! I am not a fan of winters at all. Now that my kids are older, I send them outside and stay in! haha!

Old 03-04-2018, 08:01 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saar View Post
Haha lol. I can imagine.
Yes, I bundle up. Layers and layers of clothes. Lol.
I love to go out and come back inside feeling good about the walk. I also love to come back inside and warm up with a nice cup of coffee.
That sounds refreshing!
Old 03-04-2018, 08:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
We go sledding a lot (it helps that we have a gator/quad to ride up the hill! ) We don't go anywhere crazy- out to the lake house (lake couer d'alene) or up to my hubby's grandpa's Mount Spokane property (up on a big hill- perfect for sledding!)

I take our dog for walks everyday- if it's really cold we just go to the mailbox & back, but when it's nicer- we go around the neighborhood.

I feel like I get my winter workouts by shoveling our driveway- but then it's nice & clean & the kids can play out there at least (jump rope, basketball, etc.) Sometimes they just NEED to get OUT of my house! lol!
Sledding sounds like fun! I wanted to buy some sleds at Costco when they were out in the fall, but my boys (18 & 17 years old) didn't think it would be fun, so I didn't. Now I wish I had. We haven't had enough snow in our neighborhood to really use them, but we could have taken them up to the mountains.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I'm from Las Vegas, but I did spend some of my childhood in Utah, so I'm no stranger to winters. WIth that being said, I stay inside as much as possible, lol! I am not a fan of winters at all. Now that my kids are older, I send them outside and stay in! haha!
From what I've heard, Utah winters are way worse than what we get here in Boise (one of the reasons we chose to move here). Maybe I just need to suck it up and go take a walk! LOL!!
Old 03-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to hubernate and emerge at the first TRUE sign of spring. I use to love winter, now I dread it. So happy spring is showing her face here!
Old 03-04-2018, 08:36 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I am a homebody in general, so I'd love to stay at home at lot... however, having a son with lots and lots of energy, that's impossible. So, I bundle up and hubby made sure I have a good warm coat to wear and we do different activities outside; sledding and going to the park when weather permitted.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
From what I've heard, Utah winters are way worse than what we get here in Boise (one of the reasons we chose to move here). Maybe I just need to suck it up and go take a walk! LOL!!
I don't know about that... I've got family in Boise and we've visited a few times. It depends on the year I think. When we lived in utah when I was a child, we use to get TONS of snow, but when we lived in Utah (hubby's family lives there and we briefly lived there after we got married) when I was going to college, it was cold, but not really snowy. But yeah, I never go out as an adult.

Last edited by adi&co.; 03-04-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

No. We appreciate winter from indoors! We aren't really outdoorsy people period. Even in the Spring/Summer, it's hard for us to get outside with a child who has an allergy to the sun/heat. So I live vicariously through my friends!
Old 03-04-2018, 10:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I tend to not go outside much in winter. I do kick my kids out though - for sledding and snow fort building and what have you - I just don't love it myself. Although, it's usually super cold here too. If it's NICE and wintery (like 30s), I don't mind going out and walking or whatever. I'm kind of indifferent to winter.

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 03-05-2018, 01:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellasspace View Post
I tend to hubernate and emerge at the first TRUE sign of spring. I use to love winter, now I dread it. So happy spring is showing her face here!
I really hope I don't feel that way after we've been here a while, Ella!!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nietis View Post
I am a homebody in general, so I'd love to stay at home at lot... however, having a son with lots and lots of energy, that's impossible. So, I bundle up and hubby made sure I have a good warm coat to wear and we do different activities outside; sledding and going to the park when weather permitted.
We're mostly homebodies, too, Sherly. If my boys were younger, I would probably have to do the same...they were like puppies with tons of energy and only 18 months apart!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:06 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi&co. View Post
I don't know about that... I've got family in Boise and we've visited a few times. It depends on the year I think. When we lived in utah when I was a child, we use to get TONS of snow, but when we lived in Utah (hubby's family lives there and we briefly lived there after we got married) when I was going to college, it was cold, but not really snowy. But yeah, I never go out as an adult.
Last year was an insane snow year... we didn't move here until June, so we missed it, which was probably a very good thing!!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
No. We appreciate winter from indoors! We aren't really outdoorsy people period. Even in the Spring/Summer, it's hard for us to get outside with a child who has an allergy to the sun/heat. So I live vicariously through my friends!
That would be so hard, Wendy! I'm sensitive to sun, but thankful that I'm not allergic. We're mostly indoors people, too, but I start feeling guilty about not going out when it's so pretty
Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitinmn View Post
I tend to not go outside much in winter. I do kick my kids out though - for sledding and snow fort building and what have you - I just don't love it myself. Although, it's usually super cold here too. If it's NICE and wintery (like 30s), I don't mind going out and walking or whatever. I'm kind of indifferent to winter.
Haha! "Indifferent to winter"...that's a funny way to put it!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:14 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I hibernate in the winter, just like the bears
Old 03-05-2018, 07:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I’ve lived in Utah my entire life and I hate winter. I dread snow if I have to drive in it. It’s pretty when I can stay inside. I’ve never liked it though. As a kid, I didn’t go outside and play in it. I never liked sledding, building snowmen, etc.

And for Utah, it totally depends. This winter has been mild but when it snows, it SNOWS! We just got dumped on yesterday. Last winter was a record breaking year of snow for my town. I feel like we have a mild winter every 5-6 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2018, 07:29 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Winter here normally means lots of rain, but mild enough temps by some of your standards! This past week though, we had our worst taste of winter in over 50 years. We've been snowed in since last Tuesday, schools were closed and basically the whole country shut down, lol. Today is the first day we've been able to get back to normal a little, although many areas are still shut down.

The first 2 days the kids were really excited for the snow, and I was excited for the photos I can scrap with all the gorgeous snow kits in the store By the third day we'd had enough though, and aside from short walks, we stayed in, willing it to stop snowing and go away

I don't think I could handle dealing with snow every year. But then, we're not used to having snow so we're not equipped to deal with it. That was the first snowfall of its kind here in my lifetime, and I'm hoping it's the last!
Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

So, it sounds like the consensus is hibernation! LOL!!
That feels like what I've been doing. I guess I'll look forward to spring!!
Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Another vote for hibernation. Winter is for staying inside and reading.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

We like to play in the snow but honestly, me and my kids despise the cold lol, so we spend a lot of time indoors during winter. We get our exercise still doing things like going to local play places or trampoline parks or even just playing games like "Just Dance" on the Wii U. We've lived in the Midwest all of our lives but although I brave the cold, it's not my favorite.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh my gosh- I can't tell you how much I loathe winter. The first few snows are pretty, okay - I'll give you that... but then comes the darkness, the ice, the never ending winter. I think it really is the ice that I hate when it comes to winter - I don't mind the cold - I love sweaters, tea, and snuggling in a blanket in front of the fireplace... it's just that winter last for so long - November into April.... the older I get the more I hate winter. My son - loves it, though... mostly because there are no bugs - he hates bugs. haha.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:23 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
That would be so hard, Wendy! I'm sensitive to sun, but thankful that I'm not allergic. We're mostly indoors people, too, but I start feeling guilty about not going out when it's so pretty
It is hard on her. She used to like going outside, but a few bad summers really took a toll on her. Now she's becoming a homebody. With the warmer weather we are having here and the heat being turned on during school, she's breaking out in blisters at school and getting really sick. Sadly the school knows her allergy and won't send her home so she's been coming home from school really cranky. It's hard on her, but I've been told as she ages, it will get worse for her. We generally try to keep the house temp's 66-68 degrees all year round for her to be comfortable. Some people in the house freeze, while others hate it. But for her, it's just perfect!
Old 03-05-2018, 01:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh no Wendy, I can't even imagine how hard it must be on her.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

You just have to force yourself out. If you stay in only, you will quickly get winter depression.
Old 03-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

buy a hot tub?! haha! that is something i sometimes dream about because hot tubs and winter are just heaven!
Old 03-05-2018, 07:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Oh Wendy, that is awful! Poor kid!! I can't imagine it getting worse.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
buy a hot tub?! haha! that is something i sometimes dream about because hot tubs and winter are just heaven!
That's not a bad idea once we buy a house!!
I have a friend who lives up in the mountains in CA who has a glass room that houses her hot tub. So, she can sit in the hot tub and enjoy the snow!
A friend here just bought one that is outside...I don't know if I would want to sit outside in the hot tub when it's that cold... I mean, you have to get out sometime, right??!
Old 03-06-2018, 07:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ha! Well I hate winter and living here in Maine sucks during the winter. I grew up here but I spent almost 20 years living at Marine bases in SoCal, Hawaii, Guam, Virginia, Georgia, etc.; so I got spoiled during those years!

This winter in particular has been brutally cold with below zero days for more than a week at a time. I usually walk outside as long as there isn't too much ice on the roads but with the brutal cold I broke down and joined the gym that's about a mile from my house. I love it and will continue even during the summer.

Mother nature is being her usual bitchy self in March and is having one more hissy fit starting tomorrow night and we're going to get another foot of snow; hopefully it will be the last and spring will start to arrive!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:02 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Marie, one of the nice things here is that even when it snowed, it didn't get below the teens. There was one morning that was something like 9 degrees and felt like -1, but it was crystal clear and no snow.
I'm sorry it's been so brutal!!
Old 03-06-2018, 03:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I hate winter and we get a lot of it up here in northern Indiana. It has already snowed twice today!

We tend to do a lot more outdoor things before Christmas. From January to mid-March, we mostly hang out at the house or in the backyard building snowmen, etc. We do take the kids to a nearby school to sled a couple times per season, and there are a couple of outdoor festivals that happen during the winter that we go to. Making snow cream is fun (and you do it all inside once you get the snow from outside).