Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm
Default Any homeschoolers out there???

I am wanting some info on online homeschooling. Let me know if you have any experience with it and what your experience has been like.

My poor little guy has really struggled this year, and since he was born I have wanted to give him a home education but haven't felt the time is right, I'm exploring my options for next year and would like some input. Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

there's quite a few homeschooling moms here! If you search you should get quite a few threads I'll try and link a few

well here's the search should pull up quite a few threads
https://www.sweetshoppecommunity.com...archid=1738974

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Do you mean a virtual school? My kids are enrolled in one right now and we hate it! Now, that's not to say that it's bad. It's actually a good program, it was just presented to us as something totally different than what it actually is. My best advice is to research, research, research. See what's offered in your area. Can you do it independently or is it a charter program (ours is charter and that's part of the issue.) If it is a charter, what's required of YOU as the parent? Are you the teacher or will the charter program teachers actually teach classes. (Ours do not, they do the occasional enrichment class, but that's all.) What curriculum does the school use? (Ours provides either Calvert or K12 at the elementary level, there are others who offer different options.) Is the curriculum received based on ability or age? If ability, how might that effect your son if you need to put him back into a regular school the next year. My older son will be behind in math by two years because the public schools here refuse to educate by ability--he's supposed to be in 6th next year, by God he will be in 6th next year is their attitude. So, in essence, charter programs can be great and they can suck. Your mileage may vary. Obviously, if you do it independently, you're solely responsible for all instruction and tracking, whatever your state requires.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:14 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I've looked into Connections Academy before and it looked promising but decided to stick out school another year (was only going to do this for 1 child) and it's been a great year so happy we stuck it out.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I don't, but a friend of mine is just starting out with homeschooling. She's started a blog and has a bunch of references and people who have been through it.

http://www.hiphomeschoolmoms.com/
Old 04-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Thanks so much for all your info. I have looked into Connections Acadamy, before the year began. This year was good in the begining and has just gotten worse.
My son was 9 in February and is in 2nd grade. Last summer he was diagnoised with ADHD and Autstic Disorder. The results were very vague from the doctor who conducted it and she never went over it with us. We were leaning towards him having Aspergers. We've since been seeing a doctor who doesn't think he has any sort of Autism and more of a 'mood' disorder ?? .... I just feel so terrrible for the poor little guy and just want the best for him.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:54 PM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hmlentz

I homeschool my three kids ages 10, 8, and 7. Can I help you with anything? It's VERY doable I think it's a lot in just knowing yourself and the type of learner your child is. There are sooo many resources out there.
Heidi
Old 04-11-2011, 08:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallMoments View Post
I don't, but a friend of mine is just starting out with homeschooling. She's started a blog and has a bunch of references and people who have been through it.

http://www.hiphomeschoolmoms.com/
Thanks so much for this link!! I've added it to my reader.

I'm just starting with the homeschooling thing... so I'm not much help yet. Have you looked in your area if there is a homeschooling convention coming up? They maybe able to help with questions.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

You're welcome! Just tell Meghan that Kristin sent ya! Ha ha!
Old 04-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I homeschool. I have four kiddos, but only one student this year. We're gearing up for 3rd grade and Kindergarten in the Fall--that will be fun.

I am a big DIYer when it comes to my curriculum, but I love Classical Education. My favorite forums for talking about all things Homeschoolin' is The Well Trained Mind forums: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/index.php (I could spend the whole day over there, reading and reading!)

Hope that's helpful. Good luck with your journey!