Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Nikon d5000 or d90

Does anyone have either of these cameras?
Just wondering what your opinions are or if you've heard anything about it?
I am wanting a new camera and am looking at both of these. I might have to wait a little longer if I want the d90, but I want the camera to last. I am not a professional by any means either. What do you think?

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 06-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have kind of been shopping around and found this info from Ken Rockwell that specifically mentions both of those cameras (be sure to scroll down the page to "Best Serious Camera"):

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Jenny, thank you so much for giving that link! I already have my DSLR (Nikon d60) but I have been curious about P&S and some additional lenses for my D60.

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I had been looking at that site, but did not see the part that you had linked! Thanks

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Last edited by ajf9597; 06-12-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Just a little side note.....Ken Rockwell MAKES HIS MONEY BY ADVERTISEMENTS and sending people to buy cameras at his different advertising sites. He's going to PROMOTE the entry level cameras (since it will make him more money). He's not a photographer, he's an excellent MARKETER. **I didn't know this until recently**

You'll DEFINITELY want the D90. GO PUT IT IN YOUR SHOPPING CART NOW!!! The focusing is faster (motor drive) and you will have 11 focusing dots. It shoots slightly more frames per second. It also has a bigger LCD and has 3X as many pixels to it. It will be brighter and clearer as well. The optical viewfinder has more magnification (so your image will be bigger). Your image will be easier to see if it's in focus or not. The D90 has an in body focusing motor so you CAN use the older AF lenses.

The D5000 is really DIFFICULT to use when in manual mode. There are times when you have to hold down two buttons at once (which is hard for me to do). The D5000 does not give you a top LCD so it will be harder to see. You really WANT the top LCD! It's the only one I look at!!! With the D5000 you have to have the AFS lenses. If you put the AF lenses (non AFS) lenses on this camera, they will be manual focus only.

I'm going to bet that this is clear as mud!! ROFL!!!!
Have fun with whatever camera you get!!! They're both awesome!

Last edited by Kjersti; 06-12-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kjersti, I'm assuming this is the camera you have??? Do you find that you use the lens that comes with the kit? If I go with the D90, I definately won't have money for a different lens for a long while.

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Hi Angel -
I don't own the D90 but my whole family shoots with Nikon equipment. Which lens comes with the camera?

Kj
Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It comes with the 18-105VR.
Which camera do you use Kjersti?

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

I do have the D90 and I love, love, love it. I'm really pleased with my photos, especially enlargements. The color and quality of my prints is excellent, even blown up to poster size.
I think it's user friendly too. It has a lot of in-camera editing stuff that I never use, but I have loved the other features like the light meter, the white balance features, and the speed.
The kit lense that comes with it has VR and is a great lense. I also have the 50-200mm zoom and a mm fixed.
PM me if you have any specific questions!

Old 06-12-2010, 11:25 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I actually own the D3 but I promise, promise, promise that you will love the D90. I've seen it in action and it is AWESOME. It shoots 12.3 megapixels so you'll be able to make some beautiful enlargements. The D90 battery will also last you a long, long time before it needs to be recharged! You can also get a vertical grip for the D90 which makes the camera look HUGE (and then you have the convenience of the shutter at the top you take a vertical photo).

I think the lens it comes with should be just fine!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
Just a little side note.....Ken Rockwell MAKES HIS MONEY BY ADVERTISEMENTS and sending people to buy cameras at his different advertising sites. He's going to PROMOTE the entry level cameras (since it will make him more money). He's not a photographer, he's an excellent MARKETER. **I didn't know this until recently**

You'll DEFINITELY want the D90. GO PUT IT IN YOUR SHOPPING CART NOW!!! The focusing is faster (motor drive) and you will have 11 focusing dots. It shoots slightly more frames per second. It also has a bigger LCD and has 3X as many pixels to it. It will be brighter and clearer as well. The optical viewfinder has more magnification (so your image will be bigger). Your image will be easier to see if it's in focus or not. The D90 has an in body focusing motor so you CAN use the older AF lenses.

The D5000 is really DIFFICULT to use when in manual mode. There are times when you have to hold down two buttons at once (which is hard for me to do). The D5000 does not give you a top LCD so it will be harder to see. You really WANT the top LCD! It's the only one I look at!!! With the D5000 you have to have the AFS lenses. If you put the AF lenses (non AFS) lenses on this camera, they will be manual focus only.

I'm going to bet that this is clear as mud!! ROFL!!!!
Have fun with whatever camera you get!!! They're both awesome!
Good to know! Ha-ha! It definitely makes you look differently at his suggestions. I just can't decide whether or not to take the plunge. I feel like I am photography-challenged. As much as I try to understand it, I run out of patience real fast.

Last edited by jorgies5; 06-13-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:48 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgies5 View Post
Good to know! Ha-ha! It definitely makes you looked differently at his suggestions. I just can't decide whether or not to take the plunge. I feel like I am photography-challenged. As much as I try to understand it, I run out of patience real fast.
You? Photography challenged? You are absolutely crazy! Your gallery is filled with the most gorgeous images ever!

Since you already know that you are going to use the camera every day (since you are a scrapper) I say GO FOR IT. The D90 is also pretty user friendly. It looks like we have a lot of Nikon users at the sweetshoppe so I'm sure you could post any questions in the forum and they would be answered ASAP!! I would never tell someone to make such a big investment in a camera if it was just going to sit in the closet! LOL!!

Now go put it in your shopping cart.....

Kjersti
Old 06-13-2010, 04:14 AM
Sugar Pie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf9597 View Post
It comes with the 18-105VR.
Which camera do you use Kjersti?
I have the D 90 with the 18-105 lens and got the 55-200 lens as well when I bought it ( it was a package price)

I absolutely love my D90 and the lenses. I still would like to buy a 50 mm lens or the 24-72 lens but I am really happy with the lenses
Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I love my D90! I've had it for 18 months now and it is very user friendly! One thing to note...at least when I bought it....if you want to shoot in RAW you need Lightroom2 or higher or CS3 or higher to process. I had LR1 and CS2 at the time I bought it and found out the hard way. But I'm sure you have one of the newer programs already. It just wasn't something I figured into the cost for me!

I used my old lenses from my previous camera so I never used the kit lenses, so no idea there. But I do love my white balance lens cap for it, saves me a ton of time later and I always have it with me. I got it from here:

Good luck!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

You will definitely want the D90, as Kjersti stated. I learned about which DSLR to buy, when I got my first, from Kjersti and her brother and sister.

I have the D80 but am wishing for the D3, of course I'm also a professional. (Just starting my business)

A few months ago, actually, I had someone ask me what kind of camera I had. When I told him the D80 he said he had the D90 and LOVED it. You could also look into the D80, which is like the D90, and it performs very well. And even around me, the clutz, it's held up; I've dropped it a couple times, on accident, and it's only got a few scratches. So, I rather imagine the D90 (a newer version of my camera) would be the same. But word of warning, you do accidentally ever drop it, try not to let it land lens down.

But yeah, I'd go with the D90 over the D5000.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How did you find that out Kjersti? Now that you say it, it makes sense, but I actually think his site if full of great info. We didn't buy our camera or anything from any of his links. He had a whole manual he wrote for the D40 (which he recommended until it was discontinued). You may be right about the marketing/advertising, but I still do think there is great information. And I don't think there is anything wrong with his recommendations. He's right isn't he? If you just want a DSLR, the D5000 would be sufficient.

I have no desire to ever go pro. I can't rationalize spending hundreds on lenses when it's just for me (I eventually do want one). I assumed the D40 and D5000 are similar, but maybe not. If they are, it would be good enough for you. For the price, it'd be worth it. Having said that, I have a friend that's into photographer and months after getting her D40, she sold it for a D90. For me, it was very much worth the money to get a little less. I realize I can only use AFS lenses, but I'm fine with that since I will probably only ever buy one extra lens for my camera... and it is AFS. My camera was much cheaper than a D90 and I don't regret it at all, and probably won't ever upgrade until my camera breaks or dies.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Is my sister offending camera owners? Knock it off Kjersti. Jk
It basically boils down to what your needs are and how much you want to crack into it and shoot manual and evolve with photography. The d90 is the photography gateway drug.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sarah - which did you end up getting the D40 or the D5000? One of my favorite cameras I had was the D70 (which they no longer make). I loved that camera. In fact some photos that my brother took with it were featured in Popular Photography magazine!!!

My brother told me about Ken Rockwell and then I started reading about him in lots of forums. If you go to google and put "ken rockwell is....." lots info comes up about him! YIKES!!

Take care!!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Very interesting, I'll have to google him! Seriously, I can believe it, if it's true... because really, it makes total sense. I just wonder if people suggest that about him--or know it. I did know that was how he makes his money, I think he even says that... but I didn't make any connection about him recommending a cheap one.

I have the D40. I got it 2 years ago when my hubby spoiled me for my bday (it was like 10x what we spend on bdays normally! ha). I don't know a thing about the D5000, just had a friend ask me about it a month or so ago and that's when I learned the D40 had been discontinued. It's perfect for me!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have the D60 and sooooooooooo wished I would of held out for the D90. It came out about a month or two after I got my camera. Don't get me wrong.....I love my D60 but I will be upgrading at some point!

I currently have these lenses....
50mm f/1.8
55-200mm VR zoom
18-55mm VR zoom (came with camera)

I love all these lenses. Nikon is really good about giving a good lens with the start up. You should be good with that lens for a while. You will eventually want to get a larger zoom (perfect for sports, trips to the zoo, ect) and a fixed (35mm or 50mm) for indoor/low light settings.

I have been so happy with my Nikon. I think if you got the D90, you would be in photographer's heaven! Trust me, I have seen it in action and it is to die for!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

If I were you, I'd hold out a bit longer for the D90. Not just because of the lens issue but also because of more manual options. I upgraded from a D50 about 6 months ago and have really loved mine. And I also loved that I could use the lens from my D50 - the D5000 does not give you that option.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thanks ladies! I think I will try and hold out for the d90. I am not a professional by any means and don't have any plans on using manual anytime soon, but I like that the option is there. I just hate to buy a camera and wish I had held out for a different one

Fan of ALL SSD Designers
Proud to create for:

Old 06-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjersti View Post
so sad to learn this. thanks for pointing it out.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have the D90 and LOVE it! I upgraded a few years ago from the D40x. I don't know anything about the D5000 but am assuming it is similar to the D40x, D40, D60?? and the autofocus only works with AF-S lenses, which is a pain in the butt!!! It really limits the lenses you can get for a decent price.

I soooo wanted some of the prime lenses, like the 50mm and wasn't going to attempt manual focus to shoot pictures of moving children so I sold my D40x and bought the D90. My next big purchase is going to be the 70-200 VR 2.8 lens which I am getting early next year!!!!

Good luck with your decision!! I HIGHLY recommend the D90!!!! There are so many more options with lenses!!!