Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Default Do you still buy movies?

I'm so excited--my husband spent some gift card money at Amazon and he decided to order Inception. Can't wait to see that again--but let me not digress! LOL!

I feel like now that there's such a thing as NetFlix I just don't bother to buy movies any more! Unless it's super special...

What about you?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I used to buy a bunch of movies, I still have some of my faves on VHS somewhere in the basement. LOL But, we don't really buy movies anyone. Movies come out so fast and cheap to rent now that there is always something new to watch...and I seem to have less time to re-watch things.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

If digi-scrapping is my hobby, movies are my DH's hobby. We have two binders that hold 200 or so movies and they are both full. We also have DVDs and Blu Rays stacked all over the living room because he hasn't put away his Christmas gifts. So, to answer your question, yes, we still buy movies at our house. Still watch them all the time, too. We've seen them all at least once and most 2-3 times or more. Netflix just doesn't work for us because they never have the movie we want to watch when we want to watch it.

His DVDs are organized, too. Comedies in one binder. Action and horror in the other. I think Family movies are with the comedies. He almost cried when I made him start keeping them in binders because the cases were taking over the house. When he had to throw all those cases away... near tears.

P.S. Please don't ask about our cable bill. It's much higher than my digi-scrap budget....
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I'll buy some movies but what I but the most are full seasons of TV shows on DVD.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

We still buy quite a few movies. We're kind of like Kim . . . movie fanatics. And, it's DH's hobby. We have an Apple TV, so we have our entire massive movie library in digital format and all accessible through the Apple TV. It's awesome!!! We still have all the discs in their cases . . . in bins in the basement. We love Netflix for kids' stuff, but they don't really have a ton of the movies that DH and I would watch. He watches a movie almost every night.

In fact, we had two movies arrive from Amazon just today, and DH is down in the basement putting the digital files on the Apple TV as we speak!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

We don't have Netflix, RedBox, Hulu Plus, or any of that. Right now if we buy a movie it's generally for Rachel. DH & I only buy every for ourselves every once in a while, and it has to be something that we really really liked...Unstoppable, LOTR, Harry Potter, and Taken come to mind.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aside from a brief obsession with collecting Disney movies (on VHS!) back in the day, we have never really been a family to buy movies much. I do buy a couple at Christmas time every year, just because DH likes getting something 'fun' for Christmas and getting a new movie keeps him occupied for a while, but otherwise we rarely buy movies. My mom buys upwards of 20 every month and has several big bookcases filled with DVDs but I just can't justify the expense of buying movies when a- they are so inexpensive to rent b- many of the ones I want to see are on regular cable or Netflix and c- I rarely re-watch a movie.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We only buy the Disney and Kiddo movies.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Dh wants certain ones, i like to get dvds for the kids. But i rarely buy them for myself anymore.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

we don't buy movies and we usually don't see movies. the only thing we saw recently was harry potter. we are in for the sitcoms like big bang. usually when we saw them a few times, we resell them on ama or ebay.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yes, I do. We are huge movie fans and we don't have cable or dish TV. We basically watch movies and TV shows that are out on DVD. We do have a Roku but I like to own my favorite movies so I can watch them when I want instead of relying on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime to have them for free. There are some movies I watch several times and it's cheaper to buy it than watch it 10 times at the price of renting.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We buy movies. Mostly for the kids. My daughters like to watch the same movies over and over and over again. Netflix isn't really good for that, because they're not instant streaming. There have been some movies we got the actual discs from Netflix for them to watch and, a week after I sent them back, they wanted to watch them again. So, we had to go buy it anyway. Not really saving us much money there!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The only movies I have been buying are for homeschooling... signing time, veggie tales, sid the science kid (what I'm using for science this year)... I like to buy full seasons of sitcoms to use downstairs while I walk the treadmill... we don't have roku set up on that tv.

Once in a great while I get the bug to go to Blockbuster and buy some previewed ones... but that has been a long time since I have done that.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have Twilight and Hunger Games movies and then like 100+ kids movies that my son watches over and over, but that's it. I no longer buy them.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Tronesia

I might buy one or two for myself every now and then but mostly any I buy are for my daughter. I really don't get the urge to go back and watch many things.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We've never been big movie people. Before Netflix we rarely bought DVDs, and a lot of what we did buy for ourselves was tv shows on DVD; since Netflix there's no need. The few we buy are usually favorite book series that have been made into movies. DH has all the Star Wars and Harry Potter movies, and I have the Twilight movies.

We still get a few for the kids (maybe 5 a year). We buy some Disney movies since they haven't been available on Netflix, and we also like to have a few DVDs for the portable DVD player when we make long car trips.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

The only ones we really buy are the kids movies because my son is a DVD hoarder and will watch each one millions of times over.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
The only movies I have been buying are for homeschooling... signing time, veggie tales, sid the science kid (what I'm using for science this year)
LOVE Signing Time! And, now I have the theme song stuck in my head. Lol. "It's Signing Time with Alex and Leah . . ."

Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yep, we still buy movies. Both of my girls each got 2 for Christmas from Santa and I got DH 3. I just bought a few more discount ones at WalMart too. But usually they have to be pretty awesome movies like Harry Potter, LOTR, etc.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We buy lots of movies for the kids. Only occasional ones for the adults usually only ones we really like and want to watch more than once.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

we buy movies a lot. we store them all on the computer and now we can watch them either from the PC, laptop, or regular TV via apple TV. LOVE.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I buy DD Disney movies.

I collect princess movies, but haven't purchased one in quite awhile. I get my terrible cheesy movie fix from the plethora of ABC Family movies on Netflix most of the time. I did in the last month buy 'Bridesmaids' and 'Pitch Perfect' since I want to be Rebel Wilson when I grow up, but those are the first non-kid movies I've purchased in almost a year.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:44 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

we are movie nuts, so we still buy lots and lots of movies....I stocked up on movies starting in July for the kids for Christmas My kids can watch movies over and over and over like Finding Nemo, Despicable Me, Aristocats, Avengers, and practically any Disney movie out there...plus I have my favs that I watch over and over...Princess and the Frog, Tangled, The Lion King, Hercules, Emporer's New Groove, HP, and a few more.....and as much as my kids watch movies, it is worth the investment especially when we have to drive anywhere they have a movie to watch in the car

eta: and I still can't get rid of all the VHS movies I bought back in the day!

funny thing is my oldest DD had tons of movies on her Christmas list! this is what she ended up with

Last edited by nun69; 01-25-2013 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I wanted to add that the interesting phenomenon that has happened with Netflix and Redbox is this huge gap of older movies that I can't watch unless I were to buy them. Redbox is almost exclusively NRs and Netflix has some older movies, but not all, so if there is a movie I want to see (or rewatch), there's nowhere I can rent it anymore.

I miss being able to walk into Blockbuster or Family Video and being able to browse the movies that were 2, 3, 4 years old, picking one that looked interesting, and renting it for the night.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeAndra View Post
I miss being able to walk into Blockbuster or Family Video and being able to browse the movies that were 2, 3, 4 years old, picking one that looked interesting, and renting it for the night.
Can you do Amazon's video on demand (or whatever they call their streaming videos)? The few times we've wanted to rent older kids movies that weren't available on Netflix or Redbox, that's how we did it.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We mostly watch Netflix and Hulu Plus via Roku Box or Xbox Live. We got rid of cable last summer and haven't missed it. There's really more movies and television than we can keep up with between Netflix and Hulu Plus (and PBS!)
Old 01-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We buy them for the kids for their DVD players that they used on trips. Other than that we don't buy movies anymore because we can just watch them on Netflix. But we do have our favorites like I bought Hunger Games, I have all of the Twilight Saga, Harry Potter, Star Wars- things like that. The BIGGIES.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We have a large collection of DVDs, but don't buy many anymore. We did recently buy The Hunger Games and The Dark Knight. We only buy ones that we will watch more than once, but it's very, very few.

I sold all our Disney VHS movies to a consignment store years ago. I would love to have them back on DVD/Blu-Ray some day, or at least our favorites, but there is no one to watch them right now.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We used to buy movies a lot, but not so much anymore. I think the only movie we've purchased in the last few months was one that we'd rented once and taken out of the library a couple of more times - and we found it for $4 in the bargain bin at a movie store. We do have a few movies on our "to buy" list, but we're in no real hurry to get them.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We buy them on iTunes. We don't like to stream Netflix while on road trips and drain our batteries by doing hotspots for the iPads. Plus it uses up all our data. So we have a huggggge collection of movies on iTunes and half are probably Disney/Pixar/childrens movies. We travel tons so this makes sense for us.
ETA: Physical DVD's we don't do. We don't need anything extra to be moving all the time.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I do...but only for the kids or Chris. And I don't know why I do because they just watch directv all the time, and the kids can check out movies at the library too. I think Chris just likes to have his little collection even though he rarely ever watches them.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmomma View Post
We buy them on iTunes. We don't like to stream Netflix while on road trips and drain our batteries by doing hotspots for the iPads. Plus it uses up all our data. So we have a huggggge collection of movies on iTunes and half are probably Disney/Pixar/childrens movies. We travel tons so this makes sense for us.
ETA: Physical DVD's we don't do. We don't need anything extra to be moving all the time.
We don't really watch many movies while we're out and about, but if we did, we would totally do this. It makes perfect sense!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

it goes in spurts. We do buy movies. We also buy series we really love. I cannot tell you how many times we have re-watched Criminal Minds and have the whole series thus far. I recently took all the DVD's out of their cases and put them in these little cubes that hold books. Each book holds I think 24 and each cube holds four books. So 96 in total...we have four filled completely and need a fifth one soon. We dont have cable and often cannot sleep so we watch movies at night.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Before kid, we bought movies constantly. Since kids, we buy kids DVDs haha. My kids pretty much dominate all our TV time, and considering they are night owls, we rarely have time for a movie after they go to bed! We have netflix and a dvr that stays full, so we really don't have much need to buy movies often! We don't buy DVD's anymore, unless it's kids movies or TV shows, and since bluays are more expensive, we are way more choosy! We still make a point to collect as many comic book movies as we can (we are comic book obsessed!) and TV box sets when they are priced right!

aka Chaoticlilshadow
Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

At our last move our DVD count was about 1800....we are movie junkies.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverendingJen View Post
At our last move our DVD count was about 1800....we are movie junkies.
LOL - sounds like us (although we don't own that many!) But I did just buy 6 more last night from the $5 bin at Walmart
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

We still buy lots of movies for the boys and I still purchase all of my favorite TV shows on DVD. We've converted a closet in the basement office into our "DVD room". We still even have a few VHS lying around but need to get rid of them because no one watches them anymore.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:32 AM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

Yep we still buy movies..We have cable for tv series and sport and buy movies we like. Here in Adelaide we still have blockbusters and just jump in he car and go rent a movie! If we love a movie we may watch it 4 or 5 times or more...I think we have watch LOTR and HP about 10 times over the years
Old 01-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariewilcox View Post
LOL - sounds like us (although we don't own that many!) But I did just buy 6 more last night from the $5 bin at Walmart
We looooove to watch them. Plus tv shows. We has lots lol