Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-11-2020, 09:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Allergy Season doesn't want to end for me

Anyone else suffering bad allergies? I've been coughing since the middle of February, not regularly but often enough to know it is allergies. My eyes are watery from allergies and this week that increased 10-fold. What the heck bloomed in the Pacific Northwest this week??? Literally having trouble focusing on words on my computer even with reading glasses on (yup, I'm that old!)

How are you guys doing with allergies this year?

Any ideas on how to help sore watery eyes past the allergy eye drops?

Can we vent our allergy woes together here?
Old 06-11-2020, 09:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry! As if the discomfort wasn't enough, this is so not the year to walk around coughing!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yesssss!!! Something bloomed!! I was just out at my in-laws cause hubby was mowing fields and I came back so watery and itchy. I just finished a round of steroids due to the poison oak I managed to get in a few weeks ago.
Old 06-11-2020, 10:48 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Boo to those allergies! I hope you're better soon!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Ouch on the poison oak Manda! I used to see it a lot when hiking back in California (I"m in Oregon now). I even used to be able to recognize it in winter without its leaves. Probably lucky I never did touch it. I wonder what part it plays in the ecosystem. If we erradicated it, what master plan in life might change?? LOL

Not sure why this has been such a tough spring on me allergy wise - perhaps because it has been a slightly dryer year here in Oregon? I was dealing okay with it, until it killed my eyes this week - designers don't design well without their eyeballs!! LOL
Old 06-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Yep I have been suffering since March with a persistant cough. ugh
Old 06-11-2020, 11:23 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We've had great success with Lemon, Peppermint and Lavender essential oils. Blend them together with carrier oil, and roll onto back of neck every morning. Only on the worst days would we need to have an antihistamine tablet as well. I used the Young Living brand of oils.
Old 06-11-2020, 11:37 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

OMIGOSH YES!!! I'm in Eastern WA, still the PNW and it's B-A-D here too. Like I wipe down our patio furniture everyday from the yellow pine tree pollen that coats everything around here! Even our poor doggys have goobery eyes & our older bulldog will literally rub her face on our carpet to scratch her eyes.

I live on 7 antihistamines a day year round NORMALLY (I'm literally allergic to everything) and there's really nothing else I can take to help. I just suffer through. My son doubles up on his claritin when it's super bad. Occasionally we'll resort to a benedryl at night if we're super itchy. Sorry... not much help!

ALSO- not helpful to you- but at work (dental office)- we are asking all these covid-19 symptom questions as a screening and half of them are answering yes- but due to our crazy allergy season!
Old 06-11-2020, 11:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaT View Post
I just finished a round of steroids due to the poison oak I managed to get in a few weeks ago.
Ugh steriods are the worst! I've taken a round or two whenever I become a human chalkboard (dermatographic urticaria) which seems to happen every few years. Sorry! Hopefully they weaned you off nicely!
Old 06-12-2020, 12:02 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmieN1 View Post
OMIGOSH YES!!! I'm in Eastern WA, still the PNW and it's B-A-D here too. Like I wipe down our patio furniture everyday from the yellow pine tree pollen that coats everything around here! Even our poor doggys have goobery eyes & our older bulldog will literally rub her face on our carpet to scratch her eyes.

I live on 7 antihistamines a day year round NORMALLY (I'm literally allergic to everything) and there's really nothing else I can take to help. I just suffer through. My son doubles up on his claritin when it's super bad. Occasionally we'll resort to a benedryl at night if we're super itchy. Sorry... not much help!

ALSO- not helpful to you- but at work (dental office)- we are asking all these covid-19 symptom questions as a screening and half of them are answering yes- but due to our crazy allergy season!
Oh Amie, you know of what I speak! LOL. I just had my dental cleaning appointment this week and had to answer all the questions! But I knew all my symptoms truly were this bad allergy season.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:03 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonbertol View Post
Yep I have been suffering since March with a persistant cough. ugh
And it goes over so well in public with the fear of Covid19, right?!
Old 06-12-2020, 12:04 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
We've had great success with Lemon, Peppermint and Lavender essential oils. Blend them together with carrier oil, and roll onto back of neck every morning. Only on the worst days would we need to have an antihistamine tablet as well. I used the Young Living brand of oils.
I think I saw you mention the essential oils in another post somewhere. Perhaps it is time for me to go grab the lemon and lavender ones. Peppermint is already in my stash!
Old 06-12-2020, 01:02 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

You're not alone. We've had ? cottonwood (not sure but it's white fluffy stuff) coming and going for days at a time for the last couple of months. I don't remember it every lingering for this long a time. My daughter and I have been talking about it, how it seems to disappear for a few days and then all of a sudden its back again for 3-5 days and then disappears and comes back...repeatedly. We've all been sneezing, rubbing our eyes and coughing. Poor Taz is even getting hit with coughing as he inhales it as he runs...poor dog. It's crazy this year.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:46 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad from this post to see I'm not the only one suffering! (Not that I want anyone here to be suffering)
Old 06-12-2020, 02:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
Ouch on the poison oak Manda! I used to see it a lot when hiking back in California (I"m in Oregon now). I even used to be able to recognize it in winter without its leaves. Probably lucky I never did touch it. I wonder what part it plays in the ecosystem. If we erradicated it, what master plan in life might change?? LOL

Not sure why this has been such a tough spring on me allergy wise - perhaps because it has been a slightly dryer year here in Oregon? I was dealing okay with it, until it killed my eyes this week - designers don't design well without their eyeballs!! LOL
It's so crazy, we didn't deal with it much where we were in Northern California, when I was just dating hubby and would come to Oregon every weekend, I got it in August, and didn't know what it was. I ended up having it from literally my waist to my ankles and then got what the dr explained like scarlet fever becuase of the reaction. It was so terrible. I don't get it quite as bad as I used to, probably because I'm now hyper aware of what it looks like, but pretty much everytime we go out, I come back with it. Seems to be the worst in May/June. It makes hunting/hiking a little difficult.

It has been pretty dry. Hopefully it gets better though!
Old 06-12-2020, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Ugh steriods are the worst! I've taken a round or two whenever I become a human chalkboard (dermatographic urticaria) which seems to happen every few years. Sorry! Hopefully they weaned you off nicely!
They are the absolute worst! This time I was on them for 16 days, starting with a 40mg dose. It was miserable... by day 5 I'm a terrible terrible grouch that just wants to eat brownies and pizza.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:03 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyM View Post
I think I saw you mention the essential oils in another post somewhere. Perhaps it is time for me to go grab the lemon and lavender ones. Peppermint is already in my stash!
If you add Copaiba to it that makes it extra strong too. It's an intensifier oil.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:07 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

It has been the worst this year... and I thought I had out grown them as I didn't have much problems in the last number of years (it was really bad when I was a kid). I'm hitting the local raw honey (it has to be local) hard and I really think it's helping.
Old 06-13-2020, 11:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I generally live on Zyrtec, Flonase, and singular to get through allergy season! But I started allergy shots last August and this season has been better for me... fingers crossed that is a good sign for the future ����
Old 06-13-2020, 03:45 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry you're dealing with such bad allergies, Tracey!! Mine have been the worst this year. I don't think I've had allergies like this for at least 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandaT View Post
Yesssss!!! Something bloomed!! I was just out at my in-laws cause hubby was mowing fields and I came back so watery and itchy. I just finished a round of steroids due to the poison oak I managed to get in a few weeks ago.
Oh no, Manda! I hope you're feeling better from the poison oak. It's a good thing I don't hike because I'd probably touch all sorts of things I shouldn't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinda View Post
I wish I could use oils, Jacinda!! My mom is SUPER sensitive to scents (even natural ones), so that's out for me. I just started using them for my hair once a week, and I have to stay in my room on the opposite side of the house until I wash them out!
Old 06-13-2020, 03:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

Oh Amie That's awful. I'm so sorry!!!
Old 06-13-2020, 03:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgal00 View Post
You're not alone. We've had ? cottonwood (not sure but it's white fluffy stuff) coming and going for days at a time for the last couple of months. I don't remember it every lingering for this long a time. My daughter and I have been talking about it, how it seems to disappear for a few days and then all of a sudden its back again for 3-5 days and then disappears and comes back...repeatedly. We've all been sneezing, rubbing our eyes and coughing. Poor Taz is even getting hit with coughing as he inhales it as he runs...poor dog. It's crazy this year.
Oh my goodness, Rae!! We have had that so bad this year! It's kind of pretty floating around in the air, but it's playing havoc on allergies!!