Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Default Magazines?

I was just curious what magazines you have subscriptions to? I got one of the scrapbooking ones when it was on sale this year but I have only received like three so far (maybe it is only published bi-monthly?) I havent had a chance to really read the last two I got though. I used to get Digital Scrapbooking Magazine but they quit making that. I usually buy in stores the Better Homes and Gardens and Southern Living. I am buying a subscription for BH&G though because the stores by me are not carrying it and it is only 5.99 on the website for a year right now so its almost like buying one single episode. My husband occasionally purchases Mopar Magazine. I might get him a subscription for his b-day or just as a surprise. I know it has to be cheaper then buying single editions. So what do you get and do you get them digitally or a paper copy? Or do you just occasionally pick up magazines in stores? Maybe no magazines at all?

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

I get People I read it online and the actual mag (usually has diff articles)

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I subscribe to a lot because I find them for cheap and I love getting mail (and it gives me something to do when we're slow at work!). I get Parents, Family Circle, All You, the Taste of Home one...can't recall the name at the moment, I think there are more but I am drawing a blank right now. My favorite one is All You though - great articles, great recipes, and great coupons!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I get People, Vegetarian Times & some scrapping one that was on sale last year, can't remember the name.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We got rid of everything except Time. It got to a point where we just weren't reading them.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get Creating Keepsakes & Scrapbooks, etc. (I think that's the one that everyone got when it was on sale last year-there was a thread in the forums here about it). I also get Better Homes & Gardens, Good Housekeeping, Women's Day, and Ladies Home Journal. I think I'll probably only renew one when the subscriptions run out.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I subscribe to Texas Highways...love it even more than when I lived down there...it helps with the homesickness And their photography is gorgeous.
Every once in a while I'll pick up a BHG, LHJ, or Reader's Digest when I'm at the grocery store.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I love BH&G the best I think. It always has such beautiful pictures and so much inspiration in it. I also love Southern Living. It gives you a little bit of everything for southerners. I do get the Scrapbooks Etc as well. I checked that is the one that was on sale. It does not come very often though. It gets to where I forget about the subscription and oh there is another one in the mail LOL. I have two to look through right now. Sitting on my tv stand. I glanced at one but didnt really look at everything.

Another question do you save any of the magazines or clip articles? I just tossed a whole BUNCH of old magazines I had on a book shelf. Mostly BH&G and Southern Living. Maybe some Ladies Home Journal. I know there was another one I was getting (my mother-in-law gets them and then gives them to me after she looks through them)

Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I get Disney Family Fun, Women's Day, Family Circle, Scrapbooks Etc and Creating Keepsakes.

My kids get Ranger Rick, Highlights, and Lego
Old 01-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am like a magazine junkie. I used to get a bunch of free subscriptions but a lot have expired. I believe I currently subscribe to Town & Country (it was free and they keep sending it to me), Shape, Scrapbooks, Etc. and Health. I buy mostly at the stores and I buy the following if it looks good: Fitness, Women's Health, Self, Everyday, Food Network Magazine, Real Simple, Martha Stewart, Glamour, Allure, Marie Claire.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I miss the days I worked in a fashion magazine and had access to a ton of them via the office library. I stopped subscribing to Glamour UK and Empire when I resigned from my job back in 2009. I'm content to just visit their websites.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get Vanity Fair, the New Yorker, Shape, Women's Health (I think that's what it's called -- I got a free subscription), Rangefinder and one of those women's ones (maybe Womens Day? or Family Circle?). I sometimes browse some of the ones my DH gets -- bon Appetit, Discover, Atlantic, Scientific American. And sometimes I just throw a bunch away without reading them when I get too far behind!
Old 01-10-2012, 12:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We get a lot of magazines, lol.

Shape, Fitness, Cooking Light, Self, US Weekly, Marie Claire, Cosmopolitan, Time, In Style, Elle ... and I'm pretty sure my husband got me Real Simple for Christmas. I read them while I'm working out, so they are always put to good use ... I let our subscriptions to Newsweek, Parents and Harpers expire.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I check out lots of magazines from the library. Love 'Cooking at Home' & 'Yoga Journal'. I currently get a subscription to "Sunset" and I'm considering getting a sewing magazine, since that one is not carried by the library.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I always read my hubby's car magazines too. I love learning new stuff and sometimes I can tell him something he did not know about a car LOL

Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I only read magazines once in a while. I've tried subscribing, but I never finish reading one before the next one comes and then they pile up. Once every few months I'll buy single a issue if I'm in the mood for one or if something catches my eye. I'm most likely to buy cooking or weight loss magazines, something with a good article on organizing, or a scrapping magazine.

I wouldn't subscribe to an online magazine. I like flipping through the paper copies at times when I wouldn't be at my computer, and when I'm online there is plenty of free info in all the categories I'd read magazines on. But I would pay for access to specific info on a magazine's website, like buying a single digital issue of a crochet magazine for a particular pattern or paying for access to a cooking magazine's recipe archive.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 AM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

I get Creative Keepsakes, Self, Military Spouse, Better Homes & Gardens, and Bon Apetite
Old 01-10-2012, 03:26 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

for me it actually works out cheaper to buy the imported ones in the store than a subscription since shipping costs a fortune. I buy Ideal Home (UK); BHG (US) Scrapbooks,etc (US). Also looking into if any local News agents import LHJ. I buy one or two LHJ-type mags and also Cosmo (SA), Elle (SA) and Oprah (SA).
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't get any. I use to buy several a month but I'll get them home, put them on desk to read later and by the time I got to them my kids had already ripped them to shreds, colored on them, ect.

I've been thinking of getting an ipad and downloading the Kindle app on it to receive magazines on it. I've been poking around the Kindle Store and it looks like all of the magazines I like are available on the Kindle for Ipad. I would only use the the Kindle app for magazines on the Ipad since I have a Kindle that I love for reading books. (We've been thinking of getting an ipad as a tablet for us & as an educational tool for the kids).
Old 01-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I actually didn't subscribe to any but I get several as gifts!

My mom has given me Simple & Delicious since I got married almost 15 years ago. It's gone through several name changes int hat time but it's part of the Taste Of Home line of magazines.

My hubby got me Family Fun a few years ago. Then my mom got me a year subscription. I think it runs out in Jan of 2013. Not sure if I'll renew it or not.

My hubby also got me Creating Keepsake for my birthday last year...I think I just received my last issue of that. I like it, but not enough to renew it.

My mom just got me a subscription to Rachael Ray's magazine this year for Christmas: Everyday with Rachael Ray. I don't really like it and I think I'll tell her not renew it though....when I flip through it, it makes me think that someone took like 5 different magazines...put them in a blender and then laid them out to dry and called it Everyday by Rachael Ray!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

Magazine Junkie right here.

I get Parents, Baby Talk, Family Circle, Good Housekeeping, Cosmopolitan, and Taste of Home.

I really want to get a subscription to All for You.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

However we did just get a Kindle Fire so I might check out some magazines for that, because clutter is my biggest problem with magazines!!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I usually only get subscriptions when I get enough coke reward points to get one lol. I've gotten Cosmo, and Entertainment Weekly from them. Every once in a while I get a People subscription, but not often. I only occasionally pick up a single issue from a store, if it's got a particular story I'm interested in. I am planning on picking up January's National Geographic this month, it's got a feature on twins that looks interesting, but I'm debating getting it on my nook.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We subscribe to:

Psychology Today
Wired
Woman's Day
Quilting something or another
Game Informer
Family Fun
Taste of Home

and then I usually buy any quilting mags I find and occasionally a crafty one at the grocery store
Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

We get Cook's Illustrated, Clean Eating & The Week. Sometimes we get Real Simple, but I swapped it out for Clean Eating this year.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cooking Light in hard copy and Readers' Digest and Creative Knitting electronically.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not big on magzines...but Avery's school does a big magazine sell every year for fundraiser so we have a couple of subscriptions...I get Entertainment Weekly and DH gets Bowhunter or Bowhunting ...or something like that..it's all about Bow Hunting lol.

I used to get a few cooking magazines..but let them expire

Old 01-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get Scrapbooks Etc, which I love! And I've been meaning to get a subscription to Clean Eating for recipes. And that's it...

Huge fan of:

Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Rachael Ray, KIWI, Parent and Real Simple
Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I get People, Creating Keepsakes, Scrapbook Etc and Taste Of Home. The only ones I pick up in the store are quilting related if I see a new pattern I want to try. My mother, who lives with me, signed up for all kinds of free ones, so we everything you can imagine right down to Bass Master. I just shake my head and pitch them after a week.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Well now that I have my Kindle Fire - I subscribed to a few on there
Rachael Ray
Lucky
Do It Yourself

and I get paper free subscriptions from
O Magzine
Martha Stewart Living
Shape
Scrapbooks Etc.
and some other business magazines

I love magazines, theres lots of hidden gems in them, contests, giveaways, freebies, etc.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

I subscribe to Better Homes & Gardens and Disney Family Fun (which I got for $5 with a Groupon). DH gets Time and Golf Digest. I've been thinking of adding Martha Stewart Living.