Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 12-06-2012, 05:22 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default the movie that scarred you as a child...

For me it was the Velveteen Rabbit... I think I was in second grade, my mom had rented "movies" (back then they were on those big disks and you needed a projector to play them - yes, I lived in the sticks ) and we were screening movies for something... maybe for the Brownie troop party? Oh my gosh, just thinking about when they have to burn the child's favorite stuffed animal toward the end of the movie... I get a lump in my throat and I'm still scarred that if I get sick, someone is going to come and destroy my stuff...

Well... today my son experienced his own Velveteen Rabbit type movie... Veggie Tale's The Little Drummer Boy!!

*Spoiler Alert*

My son was okay when the kid's parents are thought dead... but we all know about my son's very special bond with his stuffed lamb, Rupert, right? Unknown to me that this was going to happen in the movie...I left the room to work on supper... Baba, the lamb in the movie gets hit by a cart and the little drummer boy is pleading to the lamb not to die!! That is when my son, is running out of the room crying, "MAMA, the lamb is dead - the lamb is dead!!!" What is he talking about - it's a Veggie Tale movie... happy movie... it gives good messages about God's love... sure enough - the lamb is hurt and looks like it's dead in the movie. My son is inconsolable... even though the father in the movie said that Baba will PROBABLY be okay... J hasn't left my side, and he keeps saying... "that is the worse movie ever... I want a new movie!!" So, thank you Veggie Tales - you gave my son nightmares... *sigh*

So, what movies do you remember or your kids had seen that has left a lasting mark... ?
Old 12-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I remember another Christmas special as a kid where the mother donkey I think protects her baby donkey. Momma dies frozen in the snow. Oh man...that was horrible.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I dont honestly remember any. I remember my friend coming over and watching The Wizard of Oz and her being terrified of the witch. Then my daughter watched Tremors (not with me) and she was scared of giant worms coming out of the ground. She ran everywhere for weeks because I guess if you run they won't get you? Oh or she made one of us carry her....maybe if we carry her and a giant worm eats us we will drop her? And she would jump from chair to couch to loveseat to avoid touching the floor. I never actually saw the movie myself. That was not a fun time for her though.

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was 5 and I'd been taken to see Snow White and Seven Dwarves. Firsty the wicked witch scared me half to death - the bit when she changes into the old woman and knocks on the door with the apple and the scrawny hands. Then I had nightmares for months and months after because she'd left the dwarves ... and who was going to look after them now??

The other film that really scared me was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - the child catcher with the caravan with bars on it's window. I've never watched it since and it still scares me
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Oz. The one time my mom let me watch a little part of it (long story about why I wasn't ever allowed to see it), happened to be the part with the monkeys (she didn't plan it that way), and man...that was it for me such a long time.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

There was an elmo movie my son got as a gift when he was a little one, and the story was that grouches came and stole his blankie - the whole movie is about him getting it back, but my son (an avid lover of his blankie) HATED the movie, would not even finish it because he was so disturbed that someone would steal someone elses blankie.... funny stuff.

When I was little there was a carebear movie with a book that had a face, it was terrifying!

Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
Then my daughter watched Tremors (not with me) and she was scared of giant worms coming out of the ground. She ran everywhere for weeks because I guess if you run they won't get you? Oh or she made one of us carry her....maybe if we carry her and a giant worm eats us we will drop her? And she would jump from chair to couch to loveseat to avoid touching the floor. I never actually saw the movie myself. That was not a fun time for her though.
they showed that movie at a middleschool overnighter thing i went too - to this day i am a little afraid sometimes that there is something that is going to come up out of the ground and eat me! I remember waking up one night and not wanting to get out of my bed because I was so scared...

Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I hate those old stories for my kids like snow white or hansel & gretal!!!

Heather

Creating for:
Anna Aspnes
Creashens & Vinnie Pearce
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

ET! The scene with the white tubes and guys in hazmat suits will be forever burned in my brain. ETs glowing heart *shudders* I still can't see ET without getting creeped out.

Also there was some movie my parents watched about the true story if that Hawaiian airlines flight - the one where there was a hole and the entire casing got ripped off? I think I was maybe 9 at the time and I still remember being in the kitchen, eating a purple push-up and being super freaked out. I was scared to fly for YEARS after that.

Last edited by Nettio; 12-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Gremlins...my parents took us to see it when I was 10 and my sister was 8. Scared me to death and we didn't sleep through the night for weeks. I thought there were Gremlins everywhere..I still don't like that movie.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:47 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Clingerman View Post
When I was little there was a carebear movie with a book that had a face, it was terrifying!
Haha - my kids have been watching that Care Bears movie on Netflix.

I'm happy to say that I haven't had one of these experiences, and as far as I know, my kids haven't yet either. I'm sure it will come one of these days.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristijoy View Post
I remember another Christmas special as a kid where the mother donkey I think protects her baby donkey. Momma dies frozen in the snow. Oh man...that was horrible.
Oh this reminds me of another one: The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus. It's this claymation special that has these creepy elves and fairies in it and they totally freaked me out. We had it recorded on a video tape right after the Rudolph special and I'd always hurry to shut it off because it creeped me out!U
Old 12-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

Just asked the boys...

Connor's was Jumanji & Toy Story 2 - the drums in Jumanji scared him silly (we probably showed him way too early), and as a wee guy, the beginning of Toy Story 2 scared him and he wouldn't watch it forever. Even now, Coraline makes him shiver.

Aiden - Boobahs scared the CRAP out of him.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Ha Darcy, I found the previews of Coraline to be super creepy. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a wimp.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Thankfully, there hasn't been any movie that has scarred me or my kiddos so far. Not sure why, but things like that don't really affect me. I really, really hate movies with blood and guts and killing though.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Owner & Candy Keeper

profile gallery send pm

Poltergeist. I don't know what my mom was thinking letting me watch that when I was about 10 or so, but that movie did a number on me. I'm with Nikki too, Gremlins sucked and ruined me for sleeping as a child.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

Quote:
Yep, Nestor, the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey was mine...I cried every time I watched it, but I loved the story anyway. I still want to get the sniffles when it's on. Actually, when I was little I'd cry for Rudolph when the other reindeer made fun of him. Neither of them really scarred me...I was the kid who was picked on and made fun of, so I identified with them.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I don't scare easy at all and things don't bother me much, but when I was probably 4 or 5 my parents were watching Godzilla and I accidently wandered in. I had my very first nightmare that night (I have only had 3 or 4 my whole life). I dreamed Godzilla was walking through our trailer park and making shoes out of the trailers. lol
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
oh this was my very very very favorite christmas movie! it was very sad, but i still just loved it! i would watch it every year in my parents bedroom alone - i wouldn't let anyone else come in and bother me ... and i would just cry when the mommy donkey died, but i still loved it. my sister was just talking about me and this movie the other day!

so - i remember it, but fondly - i don't think i was ever too scarred by anything ... (although i remember BAWLING for a LONG time when i watched the elephant man ...)

creating for:
the lilypad / sahlin studio
Old 12-06-2012, 07:26 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

None of the kid movies scared me, don't know who let me watch it, but I saw Cujo really young...FREAKED me out! Hallie was petrified of Gremlins, you can't even say the name Coraline around Parker, and Devlin seems impervious.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't remember any either but when I was in college I watched Children of the Corn when it came out and I still get creeped out when I go past fields of corn
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

That would be Disney's Dumbo and Bambi :/ I've never been able to watch them again. And to a certain creepy degree, Pinocchio. That whole sequence where the boys are donkeys freaked me out.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Poltergeist. We watched it at my grandparent's old farm house when I was 7 or 8 (Mom was with us, not my grandparents) I remember putting on my Walkman and being in bed next to my 2 or 3 year old brother in order to get to sleep. I hate clowns to this day!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettio View Post
ET! The scene with the white tubes and guys in hazmat suits will be forever burned in my brain. ETs glowing heart *shudders* I still can't see ET without getting creeped out.
My brother and sister slept with their lights on for MONTHS after seeing that scene in the movie! Big, tough me only needed the light on for a few days, LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
None of the kid movies scared me, don't know who let me watch it, but I saw Cujo really young...FREAKED me out!
I was probably about 10 when a friend showed me that one when I slept over her house...a friend with 2 giant dogs! It's probably the scariest movie I remember seeing and being freaked out by.

The Curious George movie traumatized my then 5 year old. From the tv show and books he thought of the man with the yellow hat as Curious George's father, and in the movie Curious George is taken away from the man with the yellow hat...I think he's taken back to the jungle, or something like that. DS bawled through the entire movie that George wasn't with the man, and who was going to take care of him? It was a long time before he got over that one.

Last edited by rach3975; 12-06-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Banned

profile gallery

Bambi was mine, too. I just cried and cried and cried. Thinking about it makes me tear up again. I've never watched it a second time and I don't recall making it completely through the first time. I just remember crying and crying.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Ditto on the Wizard of Oz, back in the days when it was an annual event to watch on TV - and on a black and white TV no less. The flying monkeys and palace guards totally freaked me out. The witch didn't though, probably because she was too "typical" witchy looking. But I would hide my eyes when those monkeys came out!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

The Exorcist. My mom took me to the drive in. She told me to lay down and go to sleep and not look at the screen. Yeah, that's what you tell a little kid. I watched it. Bad move.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My daughter was frightened by Snuffy from Sesame Street... and the sharks in Finding Nemo. Snuffy was the worst though. My son hasn't really been afraid of anything from a movie. We are careful what our kids watch, unlike my childhood where I was exposed to everything.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

For me it was Jaws. I wouldn't go into the ocean for the longest time after that.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Cujo freaked me out as an adult!! I already have an issue with big dogs because our neighbors (not just one in particular just all over where I live) think because we live in the country they can let their dogs run loose. Well when you are riding a bike or walking and some dog comes out barking, snarling and lunging it is scary. So dogs in general creep me out if I dont know them. But then add all the drool, snarling, and killing to it. Not a fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
None of the kid movies scared me, don't know who let me watch it, but I saw Cujo really young...FREAKED me out!

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Don't know if you even have a kids programme called ' The Magic Roundabout' in the States, but they did a spin off movie of the TV series when I was little called ...
Dougal and the Blue Cat

My Mum had to take me out of the cinema half way through cos I was so scared. The evil blue cat was trying to make Dougal eat sugar lumps that had poison on !!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My dad let us watch Night of the Living Dead when I was 8-10 years old... or maybe he didn't know I was hiding behind the couch to sneak-watch it, I don't know... But a little while after it was over he asked me to go outside and get our dog. I was scared to death to go outside. Our dog was fenced way in the back, so we had to walk quite a way to get back to him. I pretty much cried the whole way, running with my back against the house so I could see if any zombies were out there. lol. But now I watch zombie movies all the time. Love Walking Dead, of course!

We watched all kinds of scary movies when I was a kid. A babysitter had us watch Nightmare on Elm Street, then she told us Freddie was in the basement and locked us down there. Yeah, my mom reported her and her babysitting license was taken away! ;p

My aunt let us watch Labryinth when I was young. (I LOVE that movie now of course) The orange guys that can take their bodies apart creeped the heck out of me, my brother and sister. To this day we all skip the part where they come on singing. But most of Jim Henson's puppets creep me out. I wonder if I'm the only one? Dark Crystal... yeah... can't watch that movie... and Dinosaurs (old tv show) still creeps me out!!! lol

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!

Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiltyMom View Post
Ditto on the Wizard of Oz, back in the days when it was an annual event to watch on TV - and on a black and white TV no less. The flying monkeys and palace guards totally freaked me out. The witch didn't though, probably because she was too "typical" witchy looking. But I would hide my eyes when those monkeys came out!
My sister is still freaked out by those monkeys!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:54 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna Clingerman View Post
There was an elmo movie my son got as a gift when he was a little one, and the story was that grouches came and stole his blankie - the whole movie is about him getting it back, but my son (an avid lover of his blankie) HATED the movie, would not even finish it because he was so disturbed that someone would steal someone elses blankie.... funny stuff
I know that movie all too well! Elmo in Grouchland. My son LOVED that movie and about drove us crazy watching it over and over!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

For me, it was Poltergeist. I was scared of the tv for a week! My mom let me watch it when I was about 10-ish (I think). I don't like it when the TV is on with just the "snow". It must be off or something else showing. No snow. lol

Old 12-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Sweet Cheeks

profile gallery send pm

Dumbo. When they took him away from his mom I would cry hysterically. I was inconsolable. My mom used to threaten not to let me watch it again but I would always insist on watching it only to have another melt down. Such a sad movie.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:17 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cruelly Devil from 101 dalmations!!!! Still can't watch that movie.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I used to have to take alka seltzer to watch the Wizard of Oz, that monkey scene scared me so badly. Later I saw When a Stranger Calls and was terrified to be alone. That ended my babysitting days!
Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

oh my gosh... i don't think I could watch one movie of those that you have listed!! I can't stand scary movies... or when an animal gets hurt... that has me heading out of the room on a run - and I don't run!!

Yup... I need a good old romantic and happy comedy...

Does anyone know of any websites that tell you if there are scary parts in movies... you know, for J... I wasn't thinking about me...
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Bambi, The Land Before Time and ET. The first two had moms die and that terrified me. TLBT and ET were just scarry to me. I wont watch any of the three now or let my kids either.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

the vomit scene in stand by me :P
Old 12-09-2012, 01:28 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Does anyone know of any websites that tell you if there are scary parts in movies... you know, for J... I wasn't thinking about me...
I think http://www.kids-in-mind.com/ does. I like their analysis of the movies.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

I don't think anything scarred me as a kid. For some reason Luke was freaked out by the Wiggles and that Grover book- The Monster at the End of This Book. He REFUSED to even LOOK at that thing!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Nightmare on Elm Street .... but it was meant to scare me ... I saw a few scenes of it not too long ago and it just looks cheesy to me now, but at the time it scared the crap out of me!
Old 12-09-2012, 02:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Billingsley View Post
I think http://www.kids-in-mind.com/ does. I like their analysis of the movies.
awesome, thanks!!!
Old 12-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronisdragon View Post
Dumbo. When they took him away from his mom I would cry hysterically. I was inconsolable. My mom used to threaten not to let me watch it again but I would always insist on watching it only to have another melt down. Such a sad movie.
this. almost EXACTLY. i still sob when they take his mama away!