Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm
Default Foreign travel

So my boys have a trip planned this fall to Denmark, I'm concerned with all the terrorist acts going on in Europe. They will be with their dad and step mom who has family there but I'm still worried. What are your thoughts on foreign travel during this time of high alert? I don't want to be the buzzkill for such a fun trip. They were just in London and it freaks me out to think that they walked along the London bridge only months before all the attacks. Am I being overly paranoid ?
Old 06-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I suspect that even with terrorist events in Europe, Denmark is still safer day-to-day than living in the US. I'm not sure I'd go to high profile events in London until things settle down a bit (my son's band may be marching in the New Years Day parade next year -- so I have to think about that). But, just visiting family is probably quite safe.

It's probably like reports of kidnappings -- they get a ton of press and make everyone terrified, but they actually happen very, very rarely.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Bin to denmark a few years ago.
I guess its one of the saffest countries in europe.
I live in the netherlands.still going to england, france , germany, belgium ect. All countries that were attacked
I guess for us from a small country usa feels more unsafe

Last edited by renatasluis; 06-07-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My friend's from Denmark and always talks about how it's so safe. Obviously be on alert but I'd think it's still ok to go.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Honestly, I look at it this way - anywhere you go, even here in the US there is a chance that something could happen. From random shootings to sink holes to freak things. I figure fate will happen no matter where I am. Heck, up here in Maine far away from the crazy cities, at our little mall there was a crazy woman who knifed 2 people the day my daughter was there shopping last summer... fate will happen when it wants.

Last edited by mariewilcox; 06-08-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm with Marie - anything can happen anywhere... I also believe that if its your time, its your time... do you want to ask for trouble? Of course not. However, one can only be aware of your surroundings and not like the fear force you to change what you want to do. I think Denmark is pretty safe, sure don't hear much about them on the news. And they aren't going to really touristy areas...
Old 06-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I am with Marie and Rebecca here. If it's your time, no matter where you are, it's your time. That's probably why we should live our life to the fullest each day, right?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I agree, lots of crazy things can happen right here in the US. Even in tiny little "safe" towns. I was just in Europe last year. I felt just as safe there as here. Denmark is known for being especially safe.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:14 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Agreeing with everyone above, but I know that doesn't stop a mom from being worried. Just like I know flying is the safest way to travel, it doesn't stop me from freaking out every single time before I fly. Like logically I know there's nothing to worry about, but my heart feels differently.

I know they'll be fine and have a great time. It doesn't hurt to read up about what to do in case of a terrorist attack/shooting and be educated. For me, being prepared always takes the edge off of my anxiety.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:26 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

We live in a part of the Philippines that is known for being dangerous. In fact, right now our island is under martial law because terrorists have taken over a town about six hours away from us, but our every day lives are exactly the same. There are more police & military out, but it doesn't impact my life at all. I think it's true that we can never really be sure we are safe but that we are generally pretty safe, no matter where we are. Bad things happen everywhere, and while no one can promise that your boys will always be safe anywhere, I bet they will have a blast!
Old 06-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd be so freaked out too. Everyone is right, you can't stop fate. My daughter had her class trip to Washington D.C. last month--I felt fine and not worried and relaxed. Apparently I wasn't fine because I munched all my cuticles to bloody messes. It's okay to worry--we're mothers and it's what we do.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:43 AM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Oh thank you guys for all the thoughts. I'm sure they will be fine. I just need to stop watching the news. I agree with everything that has been said. I feel better though talking about it.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I live in Northern IN - nothing ever really happens. We get our boys' hair cut at the same beauty college every couple of weeks. It's in a really nice part of town near our home.

With all of that said, on Monday - an instructor at the school showed up that evening at the college, shot a woman that was a student that he had a relationship with previously. She no longer wanted anything with him. Another woman was hit with a stray bullet. He then killed himself. There were patrons and students in the whole building. Both women survived, thankfully.

The shooter had cut our son's hair before. He had talked and joked with my husband.

This could have happened when we were there but it didn't thank God Almighty a million times over.

I say that to say - terrible things can happen ANYWHERE even places where nothing happens. So don't worry so much, if you are someone who prays - pray over your children, trust that they will be safe and surrounded by angels their entire trip

* edited to say that my post sounds kind of dismal but it was meant to say there are never any guarantees when it comes to people, but that we can't live in fear - and the news never helps when it comes to that!

Old 06-08-2017, 02:50 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm headed to Ireland in July and not worried at all, like the others I believe what happens will happen.

As a mom and them travelling without you I totally get the worry and concern . When my son drives up to college (3 hours away) I still have him text me when he arrives as the highway he takes is notorious for accidents.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:35 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I live near Washington, DC, and DH works there. I honestly don't worry much about terrorist attacks, even though I know that we're one of the most likely spots in the US for one. They're high profile and get lots of media coverage, but they're still so rare and we're in more danger every time we get in a car. There are places in the world I wouldn't feel safe, but I'd travel to Europe.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashaw View Post
I live in Northern IN - nothing ever really happens. We get our boys' hair cut at the same beauty college every couple of weeks. It's in a really nice part of town near our home.

With all of that said, on Monday - an instructor at the school showed up that evening at the college, shot a woman that was a student that he had a relationship with previously. She no longer wanted anything with him. Another woman was hit with a stray bullet. He then killed himself. There were patrons and students in the whole building. Both women survived, thankfully.

The shooter had cut our son's hair before. He had talked and joked with my husband.

This could have happened when we were there but it didn't thank God Almighty a million times over.

I say that to say - terrible things can happen ANYWHERE even places where nothing happens. So don't worry so much, if you are someone who prays - pray over your children, trust that they will be safe and surrounded by angels their entire trip

* edited to say that my post sounds kind of dismal but it was meant to say there are never any guarantees when it comes to people, but that we can't live in fear - and the news never helps when it comes to that!
I can't believe this happened I'm sure it has rocked your whole community. So so tragic. I do pray and I pray for my children daily I'm sure I'll be praying extra hard while they're traveling. I'm so glad you and your family weren't there when that happened. Life is so precarious I guess we just have to have faith that whatever happens happens for a reason whether it affects our family or not.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oddly, we were there today because we had appointments for graduation. A bunch of students called in, but that's not abnormal. Everyone who was there seemed their normal selves and nobody mentioned it, so neither did we. It was a bit weird but I think it affected the night crew more than the day maybe? Nobody was hurt other than the woman, his target, and the one girl. I just would have never wanted my children to witness any violent act like that or be in fear. The world is ugly but we have to just keep looking for the beauty in it!