Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMarch View Post
This will probably sound weird, but I think my kids would do better with a little more "boredom". They are so used to always having a computer or TV to entertain them that they rarely have to come up with creative ways to entertain themselves like we did.
Oh my gosh, yes!!! The other week we had 2 min to wait for J's swim lesson and he is asking for my iphone... uhm, no... you have 2 min to wait... you are going to learn to wait without being entertained!
Old 05-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura_A View Post
Competition

I hope I don't step on anyone's toes here, but I think the whole "everyone is a winner" thing is doing our kids a huge disservice. I agree that, if you tried your best, you're not a loser, but we're not teaching our kids how to lose gracefully and have good sportsmanship when every single person on a team wins a trophy just for showing up or schools can't give away prizes for, for example, the neatest handwriting or getting the highest score on the Math test, for fear of someone's feelings getting hurt. I believe competition is healthy...it teaches us to work hard toward something we want.
This! Oh man this!!! I had to search to find a soccer team that kept score. Sure I want my kids to have fun at sports/dance recitals etc. But I also want my kids to learn what it means to improve and practice. I want my kids to learn what it means to get first and second and third. I want them to be able to look at their competetion and say "Good job!" or "Nice goal!" I think its important to know that you are not the best at something but if you work hard you can get better. Life is work and if we reward everyone for everything what we teaching them?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Just a Scrapper

profile gallery send pm

freedom.

They're so over scheduled, over watched, over entertained, over stimulated that they don't have freedom to just be kids.

Yes, sometimes there are reasons why kids can't be allowed to roam the city at the age of 6, but kids are still not given credit to be kids, not a lot is required of them, and they aren't taught to just be.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I agree that having to play outside because I was tired of playing with my Speak and Spell or reading or gazing adoringly at my Lisa Frank sticker collection is one thing my kids are missing out on!

Another thing is that we didn't have to worry about our online reputation back then or online bullying. Sure, you would have the mean kids that bullied and picked on peeps in person, but the atrocious behavior of some kids (and adults) online is one thing I am so happy I was not exposed to as a kid...
Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I totally agree, the world was no less safe when we were kids than today, we just hear about it more, but I do wish my kid could have that same freedom.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with all. My biggest one is just being disconnected from the world and have family time. I actually have to walk around and collect up all electronic devices and put them away now. It makes me crazy. The kids tend to be okay with it. It is the hubby that I usually have to fight over it with. LOL

As a kid I was outside ALL day. I hated coming inside. HATED IT. Now I have to beg my kids to spend some time out in the yard. Craziness. Every kid needs sunshine and dirt! lol
Old 05-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd just like my boys to have to walk to the TV to turn the channel.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
hehehe. Remember the TVs that you turned on with static electricity? They had the 2 metal bars and they always zapped you. Now those were fun. Kids need those.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Definitely playing outside from sunup to sundown. I grew up in a neighborhood with lots of kids around the same age and we now live in a neighborhood with older people who all have kids that are grown. So my kids don't really have anyone to play with but one another (and they don't get along that well at the moment....rough ages right now!). This thread has actually been really reassuring about todays kids becuase seriously, my 4 year old starts whining if he goes more than a few minutes without constant interaction....I remember just running off and playing when I was a kid!

And totally agree on the competition thing, too. I'm so in line with so many of you...what a cool group of like minded people!

siggy by the incredibly amazing Jacinda
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I agree with so much of this!! I do love having a large fenced in yard right now bc my kids are so happy to play outside all day!! They get bored inside without games or tv, but they're so happy still to just be outside, even with no toys - I like that they can still be imaginative out there I will not let them out of my sight though. Lots of their friends (they're in 2nd grade) run the neighborhood, and walk the mile walk home from school alone. My girls desperately want that freedom on their own, but I'm so not ready for that... I've watched their friends walk to cross the street without looking and almost get hit! I don't quite trust my girls yet without me - around friends they're different and I won't have them walking with a friend and forget to look bc they're chatting or their friend doesn't look and someone gets hit our house is on the same rd as the school and it's 20 mph through all the housing, but a lot of peeps don't follow it
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmasmommy View Post
i wish my kids could just play outside and run the neighborhood without having to worry about "strangers." we live in a small town/neighborhood, but i still feel they need to be in my sights (or with a trusted friend). when we were kids, we roamed the neighborhood from sun up until sundown.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Kids today are missing out on the freedom that we once had to just be kids.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryinaz View Post
My parents had remote control TVs even 35 years ago...ME. "Laura, change the channel for me"...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Listening to the radio every Sunday night for the Top 40 songs, and then recording them on your tape deck! You had to listen really carefully, so you started recording your song after the announcer stopped talking and the song started!

MY BLOG | PINTEREST

BIG FAN!
Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I will say that I think my girls are missing out on playing outside carefree and going over to friends' house and walking over there and doing sleepovers. I know this has been discussed already. But I don't let my girls do this for many reasons. 1) It is blazing out in the summer, too hot to play outside. 2)I do know what is out there. I see it every day at my job and I saw it for 3.5 years before that. I am really over protective and I know that but after what I see come across my desk every day, I just can't let my kids go out there.

But I do not think they are deprived in any way. The still have friends and they are active in sports. I am just careful where they go.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I get the impression that we're not the norm. Our boys are 12 and 14 now. We didn't have cable TV for a long time and we still don't watch it much. They don't get bored much, but that's because they've learned to do things to keep themselves from being bored. They do like their computer games, iPod's, etc., but they also read a lot, draw, play with their legos, play chess and other board games. They always have a book with them when we go out - I have to tell them to put the books down when we're waiting for our food in a restaurant so that we can interact as a family. They're no different than I was, though; I read constantly.

We live in a neighborhood where I feel relatively comfortable letting them roam around with their friends and play in the woods. They want to play XBox and computer games, too, but they do get outside and play.

We live in a pretty competitive area. Until they were 10, their soccer teams didn't keep score, but after that they did and had tournaments where only the winner gets a trophy. There's fierce competition to get onto the sports teams and some academic teams, too, at their middle school. School awards at both elementary and middle school level are given out for achievement and leadership.

Overall, the environment in which my kids are growing up isn't significantly different than the environment in which I grew up. I didn't realize how good we had it
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura_A View Post
My parents had remote control TVs even 35 years ago...ME. "Laura, change the channel for me"...
Ha! Mine, too
Old 05-17-2013, 03:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I ran across this hysterical article today about the power of boredom in building kids' creativity, and had to share.

The Heady Thrill of Having Nothing to Do
Is constant stimulation hurting our creativity—and the economy? Scott Adams pays tribute to tedium
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...642177904.html

[Well, from some links, it makes you subscribe, but here is an excerpt:]

I make my living being creative and have always assumed that my potential was inherited from my parents. But for allowing my creativity to flourish, I have to credit the soul-crushing boredom of my childhood.

I grew up in the tiny mountain town of Windham, N.Y., and graduated with the same 40 kids I met in kindergarten. When we picked teams during gym class, there was no mystery about which team would win. The fourth-grader with a mustache would hit four home runs, and the kid with a limp would get thrown out at first. I lived a surprise-free childhood.

The rabbit ears on our television only pulled in one channel well, and we grew accustomed to the picture rolling for the entire evening. Our radio wasn't much better, but if I kept my hand on the antennae I could hear a rhythmic noise that I later learned to call music.

We didn't have many toys by modern standards. But I discovered that if you have a blob of clay and some Lincoln Logs, you can make your own toy rifle. You can use those same materials to create a FrankenBarbie doll with body-image issues and a G.I. Joe that looks like an angry starfish with snow shoes. I'd take turns shooting at both of them, sometimes using the Lincoln Log rifle and sometimes the handgun that I whittled out of a block of wood. I blame society for all of that. . . .

Last edited by DawnMarch; 05-17-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
We live in a pretty competitive area.
It is so competitive where we live that people spend thousands of dollars training their kids from a young age for sports, cheerleading, baton twirling, etc. It is kind if ridiculous, if you ask me. What's so wrong about sports and activities for fun, socialization and fitness?

Competition is fine, but there doesn't seem to be a middle ground between the special needs opportunities and the highly competitive.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:37 AM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
Freedom. The blissful feeling of exploring the whole town on my bike...
This to the max.