Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2009, 10:51 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm
Default meat. blah.. question..

so tonight, ce decided he's not eating chicken anymore. I primarily buy him chicken cause I can get a package for 2 bucks and well.. that's good lol.. He's never been a big fan of red meat, though lately he'll eat a hamburger if it's offered to him.
anyway.. So we were discussing what I am supposed to actually feed him if he refuses meat anymore-- I told him I'd just stop buying meat all together and he kinda had a cow. He claims he will only eat lunch meat from now on~ which is expensive. So.. what do I do? I'm not asking for non meat suggestions ~ as you know I'm a veg I'm set there.. ~ but like.. is there something I could do to help with the meat LOL.. For a while I started using ginger because he LOVES it, but now he doesn't want that either (and no I didn't JUST do that lmao.. I mixed it up.. fajiti chicken, lemon herb, italian dressing ^_^, the ginger and teriyahki.. bbq (he hates that).. I do try a lot here ). Buying lunch meat as his only meat seems stupid to me.. oh and he hates chicken salad, so that is out too...

???
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

will he eat the chicken if you make homemade (breaded) chicken nuggets?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:57 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

he said no.

lmao
Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

what about fish or shrimp or eggs? how about pork? What about making pasta and putting the meat in the pasta?

Dreaming of creating for Cindy Schneider, Studio Flergs & Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 08-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

oh or making homemade chicken strips or chicken nuggets and giving him something yummy to dip it in? I love a little honey on chicken nuggets myself.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I can't get Rachel to eat chicken so far either. Her favorite meat at home is turkey bacon. I wrap 2 pieces in a paper towel and nuke 'em in the microwave for a minute.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I'm not sure he's ever eaten fish ... ^_^ I didn't even think about that.. hmm. His dad made him eat octopus once tho ugh (Gag) .. so if he ate that I should assume he will eat fish.. maybe. lmao
Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

my kids live on fish sticks..they love them..i can't stand them lol

turkey dogs? (or hot dogs..)

If he'll only eat lunch meat will he take it from the deli? I'd experiment maybe with what's on sale say 1/4lb or so..shouldn't be toooo expensive (mine prefer turkey except the boy likes ham)

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 08-13-2009, 11:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

TOTALLY give fish sticks a try!!!
Old 08-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Ohhhh gosh fish are yummy!! And there are a million ways to make shrimp (some people dont like them much I guess) my daughter hates fish and she used to eat popcorn shrimp. (she thought they were made of popcorn LOL) Tuna is another thing you could try. Some like it, some dont. turkey is another meat you could try. if he eats salad you could add the meat to the salad and maybe he wont notice it as much. And of course melting cheese on stuff is one of the best ways to get kids to eat it LOL so you could make like chicken parmasan or something like that. You can add it too mac and cheese also.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:21 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

or frozen turkey burgers -- we eat the ones from Costco.

Sometimes, when it's just me and the kids, we'll buy a VERY small ham steak from the grocery store -- it's literally just like a slice of ham. You can freeze some of it and serve some -- it's good with mac & cheese.

Chicken Pot Pies might also be tempting. My kids love those.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

oh how I wish I could slather melted cheese on everyhting LOL he's allergic to milk, I am 100% sure that would make everything easier LOL. thanks for all the suggestions chickies <3 I have to go to the market tomorrow so I'll try to poke around and see what I can do.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

can you take him to the library or book store to look at a "kids cookbook"? maybe he'll see something in there that spikes his interest.

My kids like pepperoni sandwiches (you could leave off the cheese)....pepperoni slices on bread with mozzarella cheese and pizza sauce.

He may have had some yucky chicken nuggets before...maybe a different kind might appeal to him...my WHOLE FAMILY likes chicken cut up in bite sized pieces... dipped in melted butter and crushed cheez-it crackers! Bake and serve.

for awhile about the only thing I could get my youngest to eat was spaghetti with meat sauce...sometimes they go through phases...

peanut butter and jelly is always a good option (and easy!)...I used to think of it as a special treat when we would have saltines...peanut butter ones and (separate) jelly ones
Old 08-14-2009, 02:35 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm guessing it's probably just a phase My kids have them too, things they used to like and then suddenly they don't want to anymore. They had a thing about chicken, but they are over it now, and they like it again. I ususally make them eat it anyway What works here is "you are not leaving the table until you have had 5 bites of the chicken/fish/whatever" When it's just 5 bites it seems managable to them, so they'll eat it. I just fill their plate with veggies to make sure they're not hungry. Then before you know it, they decide they like it again, and ask for more.

I think it's important not to give into kids every whim when it comes to food, or you'll end up with a 15 year old that will only eat hotdogs and chicken nuggets

If he's allowed to help cook the meat, will that help? And arranging the food on the plate in a funny way might help, like make a face with a chicken strip as a mouth, little tomatoes as eyes and potato wedges as nose, then you can make hair from ketchup or something. My kids love doing that, and they always eat the food then.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

I am thinking Fish Tacos!!!!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:14 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

yeah I'm inclined to agree wtih Kristine Cause I'm an adult and this actually happened to me. I hardly like anything at all and I'm hard to get to try new things now too. I try to keep my kids eating a variety of things so they don't get sold on just a few choices for life.

kit used for siggie "Kona Coast" by Julie Billingsley
Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Mandy

Will he eat chicken if you let him build his own chicken pocket (made out of foil)? We made some last week with chicken breasts, lemon slices and zucchini slices, baked them til the chicken was done and served over rice. It was AH - MAZING!

Old 08-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

My son loves turkey. Its his favorite meat. He also loves pepperoni and summer sausage. He's younger than Ce though.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

thanks girls.. we're failing.. miserably.. lol but I just keep trying.
oh and I totally know about not feeding into eating whims.. I had a friend who's kid would ONLY eat mcd's chicken nuggets-- literally. it was insanity to me! LOL I just wanted more options to try.. He gets what I make, and if he doesn't eat it that's it. Unfortunately.. he's not eating anything and it's all just going to waste because I can't eat it either (or he throws it away.. or hides it in the fridge without a cover.. you know fun things LOL).
Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

This might be a completely silly question since I am not around here much, but why can't he just be a vegetarian? You are (I take it) and maybe he is trying to be 'grown up' like you?

My girls do go through food phases and I just keep putting the food on the plate, but seeing as how you are only cooking it for him that might be wasteful (food and money wise). My only suggestion would be to get him involved in the recipe/cooking of the meat product and if he doesn't eat it then don't make it. My girls mainly eat veggies and beans and I think they are fine (nutritionally speaking).

Kristy
Old 08-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I would just keep serving what you have been - he won't let himself starve. Maybe just keep the portions of meat smaller, so there won't be as much waste.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm no help here- I was a vegetarian for years and only started eating it when I became pregnant with my son because my iron was low. I wish I knew what would help, my son hates to eat meat and he's only 4. I think I have a future vegetarian here, too...

Creating for Melissa Bennett & Lliella Designs!!