Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 01-19-2013, 08:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Calling all Disney Experts!! :)

We have just booked a trip to Disney World and are wondering what are some must see attractions/ dining experiences/ things to do for older kids .....Boy age 7 and Girl age 10 (not into princesses anymore). We have been twice before (2 and 4 years ago) but alot of things we did back then they are probably too old for now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! TIA!!
Old 01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

wow has it already been 2 years?! I'm so glad you are getting to go again I felt sooo awful for your experience the last time
Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Well from what I've heard the new fantasyland is spectacular!! So definitely eat dinner or lunch there - I think it's at Beast's castle. Don't know the name of it. But heard it's pretty yummy and the theming is amazing.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, I've heard that the New Fantasyland is awesome! We probably won't go back until Harper is 4ish, I'd like to go back for Keira's 5 years cancer free mark to celebrate.

I follow a couple fanpages on facebook, and the new Belle attraction is now the most popular one in the park, it use to be Dumbo I guess. But your kids might be too old for that.

Be Our Guest is the name of that restaurant, French food.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
wow has it already been 2 years?! I'm so glad you are getting to go again I felt sooo awful for your experience the last time
LOL, we figure it can't happen twice in a row!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Yes, we tried to get reservations for the new Be My Guest and they are fully booked at the time we are going (in May!!)
Old 01-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
Yeah, I've heard that the New Fantasyland is awesome! We probably won't go back until Harper is 4ish, I'd like to go back for Keira's 5 years cancer free mark to celebrate.

I follow a couple fanpages on facebook, and the new Belle attraction is now the most popular one in the park, it use to be Dumbo I guess. But your kids might be too old for that.

Be Our Guest is the name of that restaurant, French food.
What FB pages are you following Vanessa?
Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

the dinner menu for Be Our Guest doesn't look very appealing especially for kids..I'd go there for quick service lunch instead personally

So jealous you get to go this year! lol

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm pretty sure Dumbo is still there - they actually made it even bigger with 2 Dumbo carousels instead of just 1. And they made the surrounding area all circus themed.

Cindy - you may want to check out www.capturingmagic.me - it's a site that Steph from the Daily Digi created. She does a weekly podcast talking about all sorts of ways to capture the magic of Disney Britt is her co-host. (that's where I've heard all the new stuff about Fantasyland )

Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Ditto to capturingmagic.me and I'd definitely check out the disboards too. My favorite guide book is the Unofficial Guide. I get a new one every time we go. We really enjoyed Chef Mickey's when we were there a couple of years ago, but my son was 4 at the time. We also really liked Garden Grill. When we were at Disneyland in October, my son kept asking to go the the restaurant that spins. I kept telling him it was in Florida and it was too far away! lol So, not sure what the older kids would be into though. I'm also jealous that you get to go. The new Fantasyland looks awesome!

Last edited by Txcorey; 01-19-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:47 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

https://www.facebook.com/allstartedb...ref=ts&fref=ts

The disboards of course.

https://www.facebook.com/RealKennyth...ref=ts&fref=ts
This one has lots of character meet & greet info.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 PM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

How fun! I hope you have a wonderful time!! I'm wishing for a trip, but it's looking like it will be a few more years for us. I'll be living vicariously though you!
Old 01-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We were a little hesitant about the "french food" of Be Our Guest, but I can tell you it was HANDS DOWN the best meal we've had in the parks ever. The food was incredible, and the atmosphere was even better. I know it's booked up, but I would def. try to at least get lunch there so you can see it.

Let me put it this way...up until our last trip, I've had one truly magical moment at Disney...it was the first time I went and we were sitting curbside for the night parade. When we walked into the BOG ballroom for dinner, it was my second magical moment. I'm not going to lie, I teared up. It's like stepping into the movie.

Edit: Even for non princess lovers, new fantasyland is incredible. I got to meet one of my fave Disney guys, Gaston!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Second edit: you def. should check out capturingmagic.me. Someone you know...may or may not have blogged about using your templates for capturing memories...seeing he is a contributor there

Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I will def. check out capturingmagic.me......I get the e-mails but keep forgetting to check out the website!!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, if you have anymore, keep them coming!!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

We went last year with Luke, 8. We only did Epcot, so I only have suggestions for that place.

He absolutely positively LOVED the Agent P thing. They get cell phones that gives them a clue as to where the next clue is- anywhere in the park. Then, at the end you solve the case just like Agent P. Luke did two of them, he loved it so much. The coolest part about it for me was when you got to the location of the next clue, your cell phone made it to something- ie the skeleton would dance when you told it to, a secret code or message would light up in a painting, etc. It was a LOT of fun.

We ate at both the Mexican place (window service) for lunch and the Italian pizza place for dinner. THe pizza was a-maz-ing. As was the Mexican food, but the pizza. YUM.

Luke wanted to add that his favorite town was Mexico. He liked the boat ride and the little market inside the pyramid. Hee hee.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Oh, thanks for the tips Kristin, I was reading up on that Agent P thing and wondering how it was, we will definitely have to fit that in. Are the clues fairly easy if you are not totally familiar with epcot?

Will have to check out the Pizza place too!!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

That will be so fun! I haven't been to Disney since 2002. So sad. I really want to take my son there, but I think we will need to wait at least a year.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Yeah, we stopped in Orlando on our way home from our December trip to PA and I noticed that the Kim Possible thing is now the Agent P thing. We were only at Epcot for a few hours to have dinner, so we didn't do it. But I knew my kids would probably love it! As long as it's not like the card game thing that they had in the Magic Kingdom that had you walking around in circles and stopping near all the refreshments. That thing was a burden and a disappointment.

I'm not really a fan of any of the places to eat at the Magic Kingdom. Epcot is where I like to go when it's time to eat! We are looking forward to going to MK and maybe the new Fantasyland next weekend. I just hope it's not too crowded! Thankfully, it won't be hot. That's all I really care about. LOL!

Old 01-20-2013, 12:53 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oh! I forgot this--there are a few hotdog places, one on Main Street and one in Tomorrowland, that are yummy! $8 for one hot dog--but they are loaded With toppings like chili, cheese, tacos toppings... Yum!

Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

Dole Whip....rhat's all I got
Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Cindy, what about The Jedi Training? Coop was too young when we went last year, but Keita did it & it was a highlight for her. If your kids like Star Wars, i'd say thats a must! Kids that were like 11 or 12 were doing it. But it fills up super fast. Get o Hollywood studios @ rope drop & go straight to the sign up. They were full for the entire day & taking alternates by 9:30 am when we went, they let Keira in since it was her wish trip.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Star Wards weekends starts in May too at DHS..if your kids are star wars fans that will be a fun visit..it will be crowded though
May 17 - 19, May 24 - 26, May 31 - June 2
are the dates for may

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-20-2013, 09:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

In the Magic Kingdom, on the left at the start of Main Street is the Firehouse. Check in there. There is this new interactive card/wizard game that takes you all over the park which my 10 and 14 yo girls found pretty fun. The new Fantasyland is pretty cool. We all loved the LIttle Mermaid ride. They are also building a Rapunzel area down by Small Word, but not sure when that opens. With older kids we enjoy the rides and love not worrying about seeing characters. You could get a hidden mickey book and look for those in all the parks and keep a journal/scrapbook with pics.

At EPCOT they have the Agent P game but it's pretty much the same as the Kim Possible version just changed it up to match Phineas and Ferb.

Hollywood Studios - you still have to straight to Toy Story to get a fast pass to be able to ride without atleast a 1 hour wait. My kids like the drawing class in the Animation Studio. It's fun to bring home a drawing you made of a Disney character. My kids really like the car show at Hollywood Studios too. There is a Pirates of the Carribean exhibit now too, we didn't get to see it b/c the line was too long but I've heard it's kind of cool.

We enjoy going hotel to hotel to participate in the kids programs. Pool party/duck race at the Wilderness Lodge, playing the in arcade at the Contemporary, marshmellow roast at Port Orleans, movies at the campground. Sometimes it's those little fun things that you stumble upon that make the whole trip fabulous.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristinCB View Post
These are the exact thoughts that just went through my head!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

The Haunted Mansion has a new waiting area that goes through an enhanced, interactive cemetary. My kids thought that was pretty cool too.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Yes the clues are totally fine for the not-so-frequent Epcot goers. I hadn't been sine I was a senior in high school and Joel had never been.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't know long you are going for, but if the kids like characters.
http://kennythepirate.com/ultimate-t...challengeules/

I just read the new captain jack experience at DHS is good.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Oooh I'm going in less than two weeks! I've been to Disneyland many times but this will be my first trip to Disneyworld. BUT I'm going with my mom LOL, so the kiddie factor is null. My step-dad is in Orlando for a conference so we're tagging along and doing all the parks while he's in meetings. I've done zero planning and have no clue what our plan of action is. :P
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
Oooh I'm going in less than two weeks! I've been to Disneyland many times but this will be my first trip to Disneyworld. BUT I'm going with my mom LOL, so the kiddie factor is null. My step-dad is in Orlando for a conference so we're tagging along and doing all the parks while he's in meetings. I've done zero planning and have no clue what our plan of action is. :P
Go to Epcot!
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
this makes me slightly twitchy lol

being adults it will probably be ok...I'm with Vanessa go to Epcot Hit Soarin first thing to grab a fast pass if you want to ride it while you are there

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 01-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

We are going to Disney World this weekend! I am soooo excited!

I'm wondering where I should head for our first Fast Passes now at MK, though. What's the hottest ride now? The Little Mermaid one?

Old 01-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlirtatiousBrat View Post
this makes me slightly twitchy lol

being adults it will probably be ok...I'm with Vanessa go to Epcot Hit Soarin first thing to grab a fast pass if you want to ride it while you are there

Me too! I'm a type A planner with a laminated itinerary. Ok, maybe not laminated. But I will have a copy in Evernote and forward it to everybody's cell phone. Some people do not think that sounds like a vacation at all and would rather kill me than go on vacation with me!
Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post

I'm wondering where I should head for our first Fast Passes now at MK, though. What's the hottest ride now? The Little Mermaid one?
That one, and the new Belle thing. But there is no fast pass for it. I read lines have been up to 2 1/2 hours.

And if you go to DHS, get your FP for Toy Story Mania. Get this app for wait times.
Disney World Magic Guide
Old 01-21-2013, 11:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
That one, and the new Belle thing. But there is no fast pass for it. I read lines have been up to 2 1/2 hours.

And if you go to DHS, get your FP for Toy Story Mania. Get this app for wait times.
Disney World Magic Guide
Ooh, thanks! That app will be helpful. When we went last year Toy Story Mania was the first stop. We rode it first thing in the morning and got fast passes... the return time was 1:30 pm! They ran out of passes at 10 am, I think.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by abm234 View Post
Me too! I'm a type A planner with a laminated itinerary. Ok, maybe not laminated. But I will have a copy in Evernote and forward it to everybody's cell phone. Some people do not think that sounds like a vacation at all and would rather kill me than go on vacation with me!
This made me laugh because this is so me.... except when we go to WDW For some reason I never feel the need to be OCD about our trips there and we just go with our whims once we get there (except for booking meals ahead of time). We always get the park hopper and go where we want when we feel like it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post

There is a fast pass for the Little Mermaid ride. We were there over Thanksgiving when it opened

Our fast passes of choice at MK were either thunder mountain railroad or space mountain first thing in the morning. Peter Pan went pretty quickly, too. But, nothing like how fast toy story mania went at Hollywood Studios!!
Old 01-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to xboxmom

Love the Indiana Jones stunt show and also the Lights Motors Action extreme car stunt show!