Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2017, 10:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Cool The Geometrists & Day Dreamers Challenges

So, let's talk about this. Tronesia & Crystal are our resident Geometrists, and clearly their layouts are cream of the crop. I love their layouts, the way they use all the things like shapes & space & balance, but I don't think my brain is capable of making a page like this. I don't even understand what "asymmetrical balance" looks like on a scrapbook page, even after studying their galleries. This one is SO HARD for me!

Like this one from Tronesia, which actually uses a template from Crystal:

I can have the same template, but my layout will never be so amazing. Can we please discuss this challenge, share your layouts & give me your deepest thoughts on shapes, asymmetrical balance and also what in the world "strong use of color pallette".
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I cannot discuss with you but wanted to say that you can totally do this!!!

Here is the definition of asymmetrical balance: In symmetrical balance, if an imaginary line is drawn through the center of the work, both sides are exactly the same, and balanced in that way. In asymmetrical balance, the two sides are not identical, but differ from one another. However, the elements are arranged so that there is a sense of balance.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:16 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Ugh that layout is beautiful.. Makes you just want to just give up ..doesn't it??!??! Ugh lol

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2017, 11:28 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalbella77 View Post
I cannot discuss with you but wanted to say that you can totally do this!!!

Here is the definition of asymmetrical balance: In symmetrical balance, if an imaginary line is drawn through the center of the work, both sides are exactly the same, and balanced in that way. In asymmetrical balance, the two sides are not identical, but differ from one another. However, the elements are arranged so that there is a sense of balance.
SURE YOU CAN, CRYSTAL! It's just like chatting with old friends about what goes on in your brain when you create your amazing layouts/templates with asymmetrical design using a strong color palette and geometric shapes. Come on, tell your friends all your secrets. ; )

True story: My brain stops working when I read that definition.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
SURE YOU CAN, CRYSTAL! It's just like chatting with old friends about what goes on in your brain when you create your amazing layouts/templates with asymmetrical design using a strong color palette and geometric shapes. Come on, tell your friends all your secrets. ; )

What Crystal means is as a competition judge, she's not allowed to discuss with anyone participating in the competition so as to not be a conflict of interest however I'm sure she would love to share her wealth of knowledge otherwise!

I'll take this opportunity to put a plug in for a Champions membership over at Scrapaneers though! Not only is it an amazing resource, this month there are bonus books for each of the styles being explored in this month's Scrapper's Style Symposium that really delves into the what's/why's and how's of each along with some wonderful example pages too! I highly recommend it especially if you need a little help for the competition!
Old 08-16-2017, 12:18 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Don't give up, Kellie! I am sure you'll make a wonderful layout!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post
What Crystal means is as a competition judge, she's not allowed to discuss with anyone participating in the competition so as to not be a conflict of interest however I'm sure she would love to share her wealth of knowledge otherwise!
Yes. I know this. I'm just trying to get her see it in a different light... ; )

ALSO, I am in no way trying to gain favor with judges! If I knew another sweet shopper with a geometric style, I would have used her as an example, but since they were the examples given AND are a Sugarbabe & former Sugarbabe/SSDesigner, I went with them. I'd love to see more examples from among us!

Last edited by joelsgirl; 08-16-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:23 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Yes. I know this. I'm just trying to get her see it in a different light... ; )

ALSO, I am in no way trying to gain favor with judges! If I knew another sweet shopper with a geometric style, I would have used her as an example, but since they were the examples given AND are a Sugarbabe & former Sugarbabe/SSDesigner, I went with them. I'd love to see more examples from among us!
Oh I didn't think you were trying to at all and I apologize if it came off seeming like I were annoyed or assumed you were playing unfairly! I just didn't know if you realized that she couldn't rather than wouldn't if that makes sense? I really don't know many geometrists either but the Champions bonus booklet did help me to understand more and I believe I will be referring back to it some day!

Last edited by KingsQueen82; 08-16-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm excited about the geometrist challenge, but I think Day Dreamer is too far outside my comfort zone! (My goal is to do 1 challenge a week. I'm not trying to win, only to get layouts completed for my albums.)

Lol about your brain stops working when you read that definition. I love to read and usually learn best that way, but there's something about definitions that makes me feel the same as you.

In case other people don't know, either, here's my attempt at a short & simple explanation of asymmetrical balance for scrapping. If you fold the scrapbook page in half vertically, horizontally, and on the diagonal, you won't see any mirror images. One way to achieve that is to work closer to one edge instead of centering everything. Another is to make sure your photo cluster wouldn't be identical if folded. So maybe you have 2 photos at different heights near the top and then elements extending down much farther on the bottom than the top.

Good luck, everyone!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to hollyxann

The geometrist layout feels like it's in my comfort zone yet still outside of it. I think that Troneisa's layouts mainly stand out because of her color palette, her use of a white background to make it all pop and her shadows. (I ENVY HER SHADOWING)

Now the day dreamer challenge may be the death of me. It is soooo far outside my comfort zone. I thought the free spirit one was bad lol. I want to start learning composite photography so I guess this is a good place to start lol
Old 08-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post

In case other people don't know, either, here's my attempt at a short & simple explanation of asymmetrical balance for scrapping. If you fold the scrapbook page in half vertically, horizontally, and on the diagonal, you won't see any mirror images. One way to achieve that is to work closer to one edge instead of centering everything. Another is to make sure your photo cluster wouldn't be identical if folded. So maybe you have 2 photos at different heights near the top and then elements extending down much farther on the bottom than the top.
YES! That is super helpful and my brain is fully capable of processing it.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:27 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:

That's what my brain was doing while I tried to understand this concept. It was just too much for me! I thought I'd get it, then I'd second guess myself and then I'd go right back to unsure what I was actually supposed to do!! Then I noticed, after what I thought I understood the challenge, that we couldn't use a template! That threw my idea out of the window asking my fellow template designers what they had that fit the challenge! So I sat down this morning and created my own template and just went with it. It was tough mix-n-matching shapes in a mathematical way (I'm still thinking it meant even and not uneven). Anyways, I just went with it and figured if it's wrong, someone would let me know!

I'm like you and thought I'd struggle with the daydreamer challenge. That look is not my style and I struggle with it. My daughter looked at my layout and was like "ewww, don't ever do that again" I tried. It wasn't (and I knew) for me.

Hopefully next week isn't so confusing and a little bit easier to understand. I think I've earned several gray hairs thinking I was too stupid to do these challenges because I just wasn't getting it.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:55 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Finally finished my Geometrist layout. I don't know if it's asymmetric enough, but I'm happy with it anyway. Even though this wasn't a hard style for me, the shapes, the asymmetry, and the color palette were a lot to keep track of and balance.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:16 AM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

It looks awesome, Rach!
I took way too long doing both challenges, this week. It's so not me to scrap a page for more than a day.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:18 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsQueen82 View Post

I'll take this opportunity to put a plug in for a Champions membership over at Scrapaneers though! Not only is it an amazing resource, this month there are bonus books for each of the styles being explored in this month's Scrapper's Style Symposium that really delves into the what's/why's and how's of each along with some wonderful example pages too! I highly recommend it especially if you need a little help for the competition!
I joined up specifically to get the day dreamer info but the book isn't there yet, I don't know if it will be available in time. This has me totally stumped.

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Old 08-18-2017, 08:26 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I instantly knew what I wanted to do for the Day Dreamer challenge. I started the Geometrist layout Monday, deleted it all, and haven't been back since. LOL
Old 08-20-2017, 03:26 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitysuet View Post
I joined up specifically to get the day dreamer info but the book isn't there yet, I don't know if it will be available in time. This has me totally stumped.
I just noticed the Day Dreamer book is up if you are still working on your layout!