Sweet Shoppe Designs

Old 06-23-2020, 07:27 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default hair color

I've read several articles that have been about women not being able to see their stylists because of quarantine. They've stopped coloring their hair, and plan on continuing not coloring.

I'm curious... did the quarantine change whether you color your hair, or change your hair style in a way that you plan to continue
Old 06-23-2020, 07:31 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I'm a very low-maintenance hair person (drives my mom nuts because she was a hair stylist for 40 years). I've been going gray for quite some time, and decided a long time ago not to color it. Thankfully, my gray is coming in very silver, and I really like it. I've told hubs to let me know if at some point he thinks I need to color it.
As far as styling, I have very fine, thin curly hair. I'm working on the "thin" part, and hoping that essential oil treatments, and changing to no sulfate or paraben shampoo will help. The nice thing about my hair is that I don't have to do much for it to look decent. I just use a curling iron on 3 spots in the front. It's longer than it's been in a long time, and for now I think I'm going to continue to let it grow.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:34 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am super cheap and usually only go once a year (maybe twice). The last time I went was may of last year when my profile pic was taken - hasn't been that nice since :P Darcy has pointed out how grey I have gotten though. I don't care all that much lol

My hair is ALWAYS pulled pack in a ponytail because when I go for walks I hate having it in my face and when I work I hate having it in my face.. It's pretty damaged at the moment too lol
Old 06-23-2020, 08:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My temples are getting a little white, but otherwise, not much change. I was just getting highlights, every couple months. I was due right before after the shutdown happened. I'm actually surprised I don't have white roots. (mine are white, not gray). With the highlights, I was actually getting too blonde for awhile, I'm a natural red head. So I'd say I really look pretty much like my profile pic.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:37 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

I have already had my hair colored after the quarantine lifted and I will continue. I have a really white halo that looks funny if I don't
Old 06-23-2020, 09:26 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I let mine grow out before the quarantine because it was drastically thinning, and coloring always left a huge chunk of hair in the drain which I couldn't afford to lose. It's thickened up again, but I don't want to color it any more. I like not having roots.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:37 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I only colored my grays for the first time last October, and I kept putting off having it touched up because it takes sooooo long. I am pretty low maintenance, too, in contrast to my mom, like you, Tammy, but I do kinda hate the grays.

I cut my shoulder length hair up to my chin last month, as soon as we could go out for things besides food & medicine. I'd been thinking about it for a long time, so it's not really a "quarantine cut", but I'm glad I had time to get used to it before I started seeing people.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:45 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I still colour my hair, had it done about three/four weeks ago, going again next week. I'm a natural brunette... however it is now white in a lot of places and I am just not prepared to go grey, yet! plus, I LOVE how my hairdresser colours my hair, so I'll still be colouring it for some time, lol.

it's about the only thing I do, I don't wear makeup unless it's for something special and could happily live in my track pants, I do force myself to get dressed every day or I'd really be a mess, lol.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I only periodically go to the salon and usually just use a box. My hair requires root touch ups every 4 weeks. I buy professional-grade products and apply them myself. It takes me about 5 minutes to apply. Easy, peasy!

I waited 12 weeks and let it grow out, but I looked really washed out and much older. Now that it's highly encouraged that I use video for work, I've decided to go back to coloring. I have anywhere from 5-15 meetings per day and I really want to avoid ageism. Perhaps if the circumstances were different I would consider it. I'm also in that in-between phase. My hair is in the salt and pepper phase, not a pretty silver.

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 06-23-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:58 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

I did not colour my hair for 8 years until last September. I am naturally a mix of dark reddish brown and black and have had some grays since young, so I am not so bothered about colouring again, especially now that I am pregnant. I also try to minimize any chemical stuffs exposure, since I have eczema-prone skin.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:31 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I always color my hair myself. My son has a drugstore were i buy it.
My hair was a bit longer after a few months and my hairdresser said , shall we keep it a little longer. But i am glad i am gonna go back this friday. So she can cut it short again. Now with the summerheat. It keeps hanging in my eye ��
Old 06-24-2020, 06:56 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't color my hair, and believe me, there is a ton of white mixed in. I'm lucky, though, because the white blends in with the dark blonde and looks like highlights. My grandmother (who is 95) has the most beautiful white hair, so that's my goal for someday! My husband was actually the one who encouraged me to just let it go and not give in to the pressure to avoid gray/white hair. I think my hair looks the best it has since I was a teenager, so there's that. All to say, if I had dark hair, I might think differently. I DO get my hair cut all the time, probably every 6-8 weeks, so waiting through the shut down was tough. I had it cut a little differently when I could finally return, just in case things close down again. Short in the back and a little longer on the sides, so if I had to grow it out for a while, I wouldn't have the mullet look going on. I think we should do what we like with our hair, and nobody else gets to bug us about it, lol. Embrace the gray, color it till you're 80, it's nobody's business but your own. Most of my friends have long hair, and I think they think I should grow mine out too. Nope!

Old 06-24-2020, 11:48 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I color mine every 4 to 6 weeks only bc mine tends to go 2 toned for some reason with a spots of crazy grays around my ears and it is wild and wiry. This photo was quarantine hair and it was BAD! I hadn't colored it since Christmas. I was planning to get it colored right when it hit...so I was needing BAD. My hair grows out DARK but the ends get really light from the Texas sun. I even had to color my hair for our wedding. It was the first time in a couple of years then but when we pulled it up it was dark with a pouf of blond...my crazy hair! I had an appointment in mid May and I have a second next week...thankfully my girl works out of her home.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:44 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I have decided to wait on coloring my hair. Last year, my co-teacher embraced her grey & got a short hair cut to get rid of the colored part (the non-roots ) She looks fabulous. So I decided maybe I'll look as good as she does when my hair is mostly grey, but I'll never know if I dye it.
I think I'm in the most annoying stage right now, single greys here and there, when there's more I think it will actually look better.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:59 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I generally go 6-8 weeks between root touch ups on my hair. It was longer during quarantine, but I was lucky and got my roots touched up right before everything closed down. What I found is that I really didn't notice my grays much when I actually did my hair (which admittedly wasn't often during quarantine). However, I did notice the grays more as time went on because I had my hair in a ponytail A LOT! I have a lot of gray at my temples and at my bang line, so it was very noticeable with my hair pulled back. I've considered stopping coloring recently, but I really love my hair color right now, my hubby likes me blonde =) and it is much more manageable when it is colored. I don't think I'll give up coloring right now, but I might be willing to stretch out the appointments a bit more based on how long it took for me to be bugged about my roots during quarantine.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:45 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

When I became pregnant for the first time I decided against a lot of things I used to do to myself. Trying to not have any chemicals that could affect the babies I grow and breastfeed I guess. So I haven't colored my hair in years. I probably won't do it again. I like my dark hair. I probably won't try to cover my gray hair either when I get some. I never wear make up. Kinda sums up how lazy and natural I am. lol
Old 06-24-2020, 02:54 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

LOL! Kristin, if my mom hadn't been a stylist, I probably would have hair down to the floor. I'm pretty cheap, too! She doesn't do hair anymore, so I don't get it cut very often. I pull mine up a lot, too. Especially if I'm working, or it's hot.

Vanessa, do you think you'll continue to let the white grow in? I love red hair!!

Sharon, you jumped on it! LOL! Our salons are so busy right now!

Lynn, did you do anything special to get it thickened up again? I'm still struggling.

Kellie, you look amazing with your new haircut! (not like you didn't look amazing before it. )

Jo, I totally understand that! Coloring it makes you happy, and is "self-care"!

Sheri, it's harder to maintain dark hair. Doing it at home is cheaper & faster. LOL! Oh wow... 12 weeks is a long time to let it grow. You gave it a shot & didn't like it. That seems fair to me. My Grandma colored her hair until she was in her 80s, I think. My Grandpa had gone gray much earlier. He finally told her he wanted her to let hers go gray, too.

Sherly, that totally makes sense. Definitely do what you feel is best for the baby
Old 06-24-2020, 03:06 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Renataluis, That nice that you have an easy place to buy your color. I can appreciate wanting your hair shorter for summer.

Ally, I totally agree that we should each do what we're comfortable with. It's always been my motto that "it's hair...it grows back!!", so try different things. Cut it, dye it, shave it...whatever you're comfortable with.
I was talking to a friend about hair length. When my mom did hair, it was mostly older women, and they all had short hair. I didn't see any older women with long hair. Now it's more "accepted". For me, that was a definite mind-shift.
PS... you made me laugh at the "mullet look"!!

Kimberly, I love that we're all different in what our hair does. My gray, thankfully isn't a different texture than my other hair. My youngest gets "Grandpa Munster" sideburns if he lets his hair grow!
Adorable layout, BTW!

Rebecca, I wish I had a face that did well with short hair!! I love gray hair when it's really short. I think it looks so cute! I think growing the gray in is almost as bad as letting a short haircut grow out. You have to get past that annoying, awkward stage. Good luck!!

Stephanie, you had great timing! LOL! I was supposed to have a 6-week haircut appointment right after quarantine hit. So, I just decided to let it go and see how I do. Seriously, do what you like (and hubby likes), and don't worry about anyone else!

Lea, that totally makes sense. I don't think natural is lazy. It's your style & it works!
Old 06-24-2020, 03:08 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I've never put any type of coloring in my hair. I don't have any grey minus the one stray that shows up every now and again.

I mostly miss the salon because my hair is short and it's grown out.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

LOL! Nope, not yet. Salons opened in Michigan on the 15th. I have an appointment Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftytam View Post
LOL! Kristin, if my mom hadn't been a stylist, I probably would have hair down to the floor. I'm pretty cheap, too! She doesn't do hair anymore, so I don't get it cut very often. I pull mine up a lot, too. Especially if I'm working, or it's hot.

Vanessa, do you think you'll continue to let the white grow in? I love red hair!!

Sharon, you jumped on it! LOL! Our salons are so busy right now!

Lynn, did you do anything special to get it thickened up again? I'm still struggling.

Kellie, you look amazing with your new haircut! (not like you didn't look amazing before it. )

Jo, I totally understand that! Coloring it makes you happy, and is "self-care"!

Sheri, it's harder to maintain dark hair. Doing it at home is cheaper & faster. LOL! Oh wow... 12 weeks is a long time to let it grow. You gave it a shot & didn't like it. That seems fair to me. My Grandma colored her hair until she was in her 80s, I think. My Grandpa had gone gray much earlier. He finally told her he wanted her to let hers go gray, too.

Sherly, that totally makes sense. Definitely do what you feel is best for the baby
Old 06-24-2020, 04:34 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Tammy, my hair is thickening, I think, because I packed on 20 pounds. (I originally lost 60 extreme dieting.) I'm sad about the weight, but glad about the hair. I guess I have to choose between skinny and bald or plump and hairy. lol
Old 06-24-2020, 06:45 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

So I have permed my hair since I was 15.... maybe 14.... I hate my straight thin hair. (unless I use a straightener and get it really sleek) My aunts do hair so for years they always did it, then they moved away, and then one returned and a few years ago she started doing my hair again. But I was due for my perm in February had to reschedule twice.... then covid hit..........

She was finally able to do my hair last week. I decided to skip the perm and just do highlights..... My hair is shorter now too. I also have a few grays now, but I'm not sure I want to start coloring my hair... I'm okay with highlights.... they kinda disguise those grays for now too. And the highlights make it a little thicker.

Guest CT for Kristin Cronin-Barrow

Old 06-25-2020, 12:27 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I have had super long hair for years. It means I only need to cut it twice a year quarentine or not. I also hadn't colored it for years, but last year in March and this year in February, I had ashy blonde highlights added. It's not necessary to keep up with a lot either since it's just highlights. So, nope, I already have super easy hair to deal with.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:43 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm on the natural/low maintenance/lazy team. I rarely wear makeup, I get my hair trimmed a few times a year, and that's about it. I've never had it colored, for grays or otherwise. My hair is very fine and curly. I have to be careful what I use in it or it turns into a frizzy mess. So for now I'm holding off coloring for grays as long as I can, partly since I don't know how my hair will react to the dye. I have some silvery gray strands, but because of the curls it's not as obvious. It's more like you see an inch or two of a gray strand then it curls around and gets hidden under the black hair. I'm starting to notice it more when I pull my hair back, so I've been mostly leaving it down. I was due for a haircut around April, but I missed that one. We're trying to stay home as much as possible, and a haircut is something I can easily do without. It will just keep growing a while longer. (I did finally concede and take the boys for a haircut today--going without for 3+ months was a lot harder on their hair than mine!) I probably won't go get it colored during the pandemic, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a year or so from now, after we're past all of this and back to "normal" that I decide it's time to start coloring my hair. Fingers crossed that it keeps going gray as slowly as it has so far, but I see the writing on the wall!

Last edited by rach3975; 06-25-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 08:09 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I started getting gray hair in my 20s (thanks genes!), but I've been getting my hair professionally dyed since I was 30. I've been getting a deep purple/burgundy overlay color, which blends so well with my natural browns. I was scheduled to go in to get my hair done the week it closed! During the Stay Home order, the salon offered $20 kits at-home dye kits in our specific hair color recipe, which was a lifesaver (I actually scrapped a page about it!). I asked the salon if they could fit me in before I go on a trip on the 30th. Then I found out my most favorite stylist ever left the salon and so I had gotten skipped on the make-up appointment calls!! I absolutely love my stylist & am so sad she left! Tear!! Anyway, the owner called me and I have an appt tomorrow! Yahoo! The amount of gray I have at 37 is just insane!

41. Seattle
Old 06-26-2020, 08:49 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I only color my hair once in a while, and try to keep it similar to my natural but a little more red tones. I actually have my teen girls help me with it! I make an awful mess when I try to do it myself! I do have some greys at my temples, but not enough that it truly bugs me. They kinda look like natural highlights at the moment, so I'm ok with them.

As far as a haircut, yeah...I could use one. I'm just waiting. My girls love my hair longer, and I hate it on my neck during the summer, so I like it longer to throw up in a ponytail or bun. But I will get it cut before our trip this fall.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:26 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

I actually made the decision late last year to try growing mine out, to stop colouring it and to stop heat straightening it every day. In that time my natural waves have really come out and a few grey hairs are appearing around the front. I’m really not sure what I want to do with it now. I have had it shorter for as long as I can remember so can’t decide whether I want to cut it again. I might go shorter but keep encouraging the curl and leave the grey to see how it progresses. My natural colour has always been an ashy blonde so it might not change too drastically.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It has been, easily, 5 years since I last went anywhere to have my hair cut. I have cut it myself over the years several times though. Since it is rare that I go and have my hair cut, quarantine was no different. I usually get tired of my hair in December or January and chop it then. I refrained last winter and have continued to let it grow. Therefore, mine is longer this year than it was last summer. I plan to let it grow for a while longer and see how it does.

As far as coloring... I'm a natural redhead. I get a few streaks of white at my temples but that's all. I usually don't worry about it, but about once a year I use a box and just 'freshen up' my hair with that. The color I use is my natural color and all it really does is cover the whites for a couple of months (my hair holds color really well) and makes the rest a little more shiny than usual. I never did a thing, color wise, to my hair until I hit 35. In the last 11 years since then, I've only colored it maybe 10 times. I'm low maintenance.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:42 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Low maintenance gal here - no nails, very rarely wear makeup anymore, have never colored my hair and don't plan to. It's pretty salt and pepper gray now since my natural color is dark brown. I've always admired the ladies that embrace their silver hair, whether it is long or short. My grandmother colored her hair and painted her nails until she died - it was something a lady did and was very important to her, me not so much LOL
Old 07-05-2020, 10:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I never went to a salon to color my hair, but I do box color to touch up the gray at my temples. I found a shade of blonde years ago that exactly matches my natural color and most people have no idea I color it because it looks the same to them. Weirdly enough, I get roots in the fall because my hair gets blonder in the summer with the sun and then when I'm not in the sun as much the rest of the year it of course grows in the natural blonde and looks like I have "roots," so the box takes care of that as well.

As far as style, I chopped 12 inches off about a month before the whole COVID thing started because I needed a change, and I love it and will keep the new length now.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:33 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Nope...I don't color my hair. I am a low maintenance girl...no pedicures, manicures or dying hair. The only make up I wear is mascara and maybe some eyebrow pencil here or there b/c my eyebrows /eyelashes are so blonde.

I am fortunate that I have strawberry blonde hair. My hair gets lighter in the summer and a bit darker in the winter. I have natural highlights all year long but they are more prominent in the summer months. I DO have a lot of white hair mixed in but thankfully I can pull it off as platinum highlights!!

Last edited by kim21673; 07-06-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:30 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I have been going gray for 25 years and coloring it for many years. So when quarantine hit I was amazed at exactly how much white hair I have! I considered going white (and coloring the rest to match it some while growing the gray out) but decided against it when the opportunity came to color again. Maybe I'll try it someday. I look at people with gray hair and think they look so much older than their colored hair counterparts, so I'm scared! I definitely have enough gray to go for it though!
Old 07-07-2020, 08:12 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allyanne View Post
I don't color my hair, and believe me, there is a ton of white mixed in. I'm lucky, though, because the white blends in with the dark blonde and looks like highlights. My grandmother (who is 95) has the most beautiful white hair, so that's my goal for someday! My husband was actually the one who encouraged me to just let it go and not give in to the pressure to avoid gray/white hair. I think my hair looks the best it has since I was a teenager, so there's that. All to say, if I had dark hair, I might think differently. I DO get my hair cut all the time, probably every 6-8 weeks, so waiting through the shut down was tough. I had it cut a little differently when I could finally return, just in case things close down again. Short in the back and a little longer on the sides, so if I had to grow it out for a while, I wouldn't have the mullet look going on. I think we should do what we like with our hair, and nobody else gets to bug us about it, lol. Embrace the gray, color it till you're 80, it's nobody's business but your own. Most of my friends have long hair, and I think they think I should grow mine out too. Nope!
I wish my hair would go white so I could dye it lavender!! I'm just going gray.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:15 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I hardly cut my hair, but maybe once a year and normally around my birthday. That happened during Covid, so I didn't get a haircut. Probably will wait until my birthday next year. Hair coloring, just for the giggles I threw a box of purple on my hair last October. It's currently a mauve and won't wash out. I'm tempted to throw another color on there, just because I can and who cares what I do to my hair?! But normally I don't do anything with it but wash and dry it. I'm boring. No fancy hair salons for me. No fancy hair styles.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:04 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wow, Kiana! I don't think I know anyone who has never colored their hair. LOL! Those gray strays are pretty annoying.

I bet you can't wait for the 15th Vanessa!!

Lynn, that makes sense. Maybe your body needs you to have that little bit more weight?

I permed my hair for the longest time, Stacy!! That's not fun to grow out, but it sounds like you found a good solution with highlights & a little shorter cut.

Mari, I think longer hair is a lot easy to care for. When it's short, it needs to be cut more often to keep the style.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I totally understand fine, curly hair, Rachel! I use very little product because it gets weighed down easily.

What a great idea for your salon to offer "at-home" kits, Anastasia! I have a friend who just turned 40 and has more gray than I do (I'm 54). I'm sorry your favorite stylist left. That's always a bummer!

Dawn, I'm glad your girls help you with coloring. I doubt I could do it on my own. LOL!

It sounds like you're making the best of growing it out, Kim! The growing out stage is always the worst!

Sheri, you are much braver than I am! LOL! I haven't cut my hair since I was a kid (and you know what kind of disaster that was). I offered to cut hubby's hair during quarantine... he turned me down. Go figure
I love red hair! If I could get it to look natural, I'd probably dye mine red.

Sometimes I wish I was like your grandmother... that doing my hair & nails was important. But, it's just not. I'm definitely low maintenance!
Old 07-09-2020, 04:19 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Wow Marie! That's lucky to find a shade that goes perfectly with your natural color. It's a lot less hassle that way.

Natural highlights are awesome, Kim!

Cindi, I have a high school friend who decided she was tired of coloring the gray (she was blonde with a lot of gray). She had her stylist strip the color, and her hair is white now. It looks great on her. She got a really cute cut to go with the color.

Wendy, I would love to color lavender, too!! That's a nice birthday present to yourself...getting your hair cut. I think you should add another color! That would be fun!!
Old 07-10-2020, 08:19 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

I haven't colored my hair for 9 years after either doing it myself or having it done at a beauty shop for 20-25 years (had to start in my 30's). 9 years ago I was having to get it colored about every 4 to 6 weeks as the color was fading horribly. Then I ended up having a reaction to the color on my neck. The stylist (my cousin's wife who had been doing my hair for about 25 years at that time) and I decided that it was time to quit especially since my hair was not holding the color at all. Since my hair was chin length, it only took 9 months for it to grow out. So I've been completely grey for 8 years.

As for haircuts, I haven't had one in 15 months. Had to cancel the last appointment because my cousin's son was killed in a car accident and I just ended up not ever making another one. She only worked 3 hours a week and ended up only working once a month for about 5 months after her son's death. I even let my bangs grow out... I used to trim them myself. My hair is past the "drive me nuts" stage so I'll just keep letting it grow.

So now for the first time in 47 years I have no bangs. The hair is shoulder length and grey.