Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Susan Bartolini
Default Disney Recap

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to pop on and say a big thank you to everyone who helped me with our family's first Disney trip. We just got back last week and had a blast. Here are some brief observations from our trip.

LOVED the Grand Floridian. It was a gorgeous hotel and the staff were amazing. I am so glad we booked this resort. Being on the monorail just made our lives so much easier. We were one stop from Magic Kingdom and just a couple more to Epcot and Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary. We also took the boat a couple times and that was super fun. The pool was awesome and the kids loved the water slide, movies at night...and mommy and daddy loved having a cocktail while the kids swam and made new friends.

Going in May was a mistake for us. It was really hot for Ben (but he was a real trooper and pushed through). Also those crazy as hell "Love Bugs" were everywhere and Madeleine was in hysterics for the first day. We lost the entire first day of our vacation due to those bugs. That said, Madeleine is only 5 years old and had she been older, she would have dealt better with them.

The stroller from Orlando Stroller rentals was kick ass. Thank goodness we had that stroller. It was super hot and humid and Ben would not have been able to last long without it. The large canopy kept them out of the sun. Drop off and pick up at the resort was seamless.

We wouldn't get a dining plan next time. I think I would either take Robin's advice and book a villa with a kitchen and cook our own meals or just pay a la carte. The quick service food got really tiresome by day two but we were locked into a meal plan and felt compelled to eat the park food. Once or twice is fine, but everyday was just gross for us. Plus, because it was hot, we all weren't really hungry that much. I would much prefer to cook a healthy big breakfast and take healthier snacks to the park and supplement as needed. Of course, this is just a personal preference.

The Guest Assistance Card was absolutely the BEST thing we did for our trip. I am so impressed by Disney and how they make the parks doable for children with needs. Serious kudos. We were able to wait in a cooler waiting area or an expedited line and that kept Ben engaged and able to the do the parks. I should have brought a pair of noise cancelling headphones for Ben. He has some sensory issues and the shows and rides can be really loud. I will do that next time.

I had high expectations for my 5 year old and needed to get a reality check half way through. She was a bit young for some of the more challenging rides (Splash Mountain, Barnstormer, etc.) I didn't push her or make her ride anything she was frightened to ride...but I probably could have waited another six months to a year for Madeleine to be ready for Disney. Of course, this is different for every child.

The character meals were a highlight. We did dinner at 1900 Park Fare (with Cinderella, Lady Tremaine, Prince Charming and the Step Sisters). They all really played up their character and were terrific with the kids. Lady Tremaine actually picked Ben to have a dance with and I literally welled up with tears watching him dance with her. It is a precious memory I will never forget (plus I have video)! Madeleine was so excited to meet the characters, she couldn't eat dinner. She looked like a deer in headlights when Cinderella arrived. So precious. Our next meal was breakfast at Chef Mickeys and that was AMAZING. The characters got to our table right away and the atmosphere was upbeat and party-like. The kids had the BEST time. We got to see Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto & Donald Duck. Ben was still young enough to really get into it. The characters were so lovely spending time with kids and letting us take tons of pics!

My favorite rides were: Soarin (seriously amazing), Turtle Talk with Crush, Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor (kids loved it), Barnstormer, Splash Mountain, Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, Tower of Terror (LOVE LOVE LOVED IT), and Aerosmith Rockin Roller Coaster. A special shout out to the Nemo Show in Animal Kingdom. Seriously people...these actors are Broadway caliber. Their singing was amazing and the costumes, props and sets were unbelievable. Andrew was so moved by the story, he almost cried. Seriously, it was THAT good. I left there singing the songs and I won't soon forget it. It is a must do if you are going to AK.

We will definitely do Disney again....maybe next November 2013 (when it is cooler and no bugs). Well....that is all I can think of for now. Just thought I would give you all the recap. Thanks again for all your advice!!!

ETA: We loved the daily parades in the parks. The kids got to see one in Magic Kingdom and the Pixar character parade at Hollywood Studios. The Main Street Electrical parade was the best. The kids loved it more than the Fireworks!

Last edited by Susan Bartolini; 05-21-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to BrattyMeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Bartolini View Post

My favorite rides were: Soarin (seriously amazing)
My fave ride too..LOOVE that ride!! I am a huge fan of TOT too. You know you will never get the same ride twice b/c it's randomly computer generated each run thru?

Quote:
A special shout out to the Nemo Show in Animal Kingdom. Seriously people...these actors are Broadway caliber. Their singing was amazing and the costumes, props and sets were unbelievable. Andrew was so moved by the story, he almost cried. Seriously, it was THAT good. I left there singing the songs and I won't soon forget it. It is a must do if you are going to AK.
That and the Lion King are my FAVE shows!! The guy that played Crush was amazzzing

Glad y'all had fun!!! The next trip will go 10xs smoother since you know what to plan and what you want different for the visit.

~~Click Here~~
to visit my shoppe
Old 05-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Aww! I'm sorry you were here during Love Bug Season. I'm glad you had a wonderful time, though.

Quote:
We will definitely do Disney again....maybe next November 2013 (when it is cooler and no bugs). Well....that is all I can think of for now. Just thought I would give you all the recap. Thanks again for all your advice!!!
Ha ha--if you want it to be cooler and there be no bugs, you might want to plan on January or February instead. November can be the same as May... Our four seasons are Hot, Hotter, Love Bug and Snowbird. LOL!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:07 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Nikki Epperson

so so glad you had a good time despite the Love Bugs!!! Disney is so fun!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by webseitler View Post
Aww! I'm sorry you were here during Love Bug Season. I'm glad you had a wonderful time, though.

Ha ha--if you want it to be cooler and there be no bugs, you might want to plan on January or February instead. November can be the same as May... Our four seasons are Hot, Hotter, Love Bug and Snowbird. LOL!
Nicole,

There are Love Bugs in November too? Ugh! You guys must hate those things. They don't bite or sting but in Magic Kingdom, they were everywhere.... and in the sky and landing in our hair and on our food..... it was just gross and annoying. Not great for a 5 year old who is frightened of bugs. They seemed to die down a bit on the rest of the days we were there, but day one was unreal. I couldn't believe how many bugs were in the air and all over the place.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

sounds like a fantastic trip! you make me want to go back!
Old 05-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yes Susan they come twice a year. Typically March-May and September-November. They really only effect cars as they are pretty harmless to humans and I think their larvae are helpful. They dont bite or sting. Light colors attract them especially white. They can be bad in some areas and others not be effected at all. I remember one year in particular we were driving and they were so bad it was like rain hitting our car. That is what I hate the most is them splattering on the car. Gross.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Those love bugs are a PAIN to get off of our car. We're driving up to Orlando for a homeschool convention this weekend and I'm not looking forward to the bugs. If you don't wash them off of the car ASAP they are tougher than glue to remove.Thankfully they are harmless... just VERY annoying. They are the worst this time of the year. LOL. If you're thinking of coming again, November is actually nice time to come. They decorate the park for Fall and the weather is warm (average of 78 degrees) but not as hot as it is in May (average of 88 degrees). As for the humidity, that's something we deal with year round. It fluctuates depending on the chance of rain... but that's not something you can plan around.

And Tower of Terror is one of my favorite rides, too! I think the fact that it is never the exact same pattern of drops is what makes it thrilling every time!!! We also loved Star Tours (Hollywood Studios). That ride is also randomly a combination of events so that each ride is unique.

Glad you had a great time! Your review makes me itch to go back!!!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

As for the WORST love bug months I'd say May & September... would you agree, Jessica?? I mean, there are some in November but not nearly as "swarm-y" as they get right before and right at the end of summer.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:18 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I bought tickets intending to go in December but things happened and we didn't go. Now I am just debating on whether to wait until fall to go or brave the heat. we did not last long at Universal the other day when we went. It was just to hot. November is really nice time to go though. Hurricane season is mostly over, it is cooler in the AM (cold to us down here sometimes LOL) and it is past summer break for pretty much everyone here in the US so it isnt as busy. They have usually started christmas decorations too which is my favorite time to visit Disney really. I also love Islands of Adventure at Christmas because of the Grinch being dressed as Santa
Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

Yep...we live not far from the St. John's river and the Econ and a large lake so we get them bad here. It seems like the swarms are the worst near water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YepBrook View Post
As for the WORST love bug months I'd say May & September... would you agree, Jessica?? I mean, there are some in November but not nearly as "swarm-y" as they get right before and right at the end of summer.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad you had a good trip Susan. We are going to Tampa in about 2 weeks for a long weekend to visit my DH's business partner and it's killing me that we will be so close to Disney World and are not going to get to go.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

You could go to Busch Gardens. It is just as much fun!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txcorey View Post
Glad you had a good trip Susan. We are going to Tampa in about 2 weeks for a long weekend to visit my DH's business partner and it's killing me that we will be so close to Disney World and are not going to get to go.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like so much fun, Susan! Glad you had a great time!

My Blog -- Three 4 Me

Proudly creating for Zoe Pearn
Old 05-21-2012, 05:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Sounds like everything went fantastic!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

That is so strange, we've been to Disney twice, both in Mid May and we never had a problem in bugs....I don't even remember seeing any? I guess we lucked out.
Susan, did your kids go on the Tower of Terror?

Thanks for your summary, very helpful for things to think about on our next trip!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

I am so glad you guys had so much fun!!!!! I want to take my kdis this year, but think it prorbably won't be again until next summer before we go again....
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We are going in December over Christmas and I totally can't wait. It will be my husband, parents, and nine-year old sister. I'm so excited.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

just wanted to pop in and say that I was there at the same time you were there, I think! wonder if we crossed paths or ended up in each others' photos? hah, we had a great time too, but those bugs were pretty annoying! I was surprised at how crowded the parks seemed. I am not a huge fan ofgroups of people so it was a bit stressful.
But my niece (5) and nephew (4) really enjoyed it!
Old 05-21-2012, 07:52 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Cindy - my kids did not go on Tower of Terror. They are way too young for that. But my husband and I took turns going. One thing that I thought was cool was Disney has a Single Rider line. So, you don't have to wait in a long line to ride something if it is just one person. Very very cool.

Lynn - yeah, I noticed the parks were really busier on the weekends. That is something else that I decided I would change next time we visit. I think we would fly down on a Sunday and then leave on Saturday morning....just visiting the parks during the week when there are less people.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad you had a great trip all in all

Our favorite time of the year to go is the last week of January/first week of February but now it's harder to pull Cheyanne out of school during that time since she's in Jr. High and also has commitments to teams, etc., so we haven't been during that time for a couple years
Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica31876 View Post
You could go to Busch Gardens. It is just as much fun!!
I'm glad to hear that. I plan on doing that with my son next Friday when dh is doing business stuff.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

The weather is so unpredictable in Florida. It always drove me nuts when I was growing up there. We were there in February 2 years ago and it was wonderful, 70 degrees and then when we were there for Keira's make a wish trip this year, it was in the mid-high 80's. Way too hot for my taste for the theme parks.

And then in high school I remember we went to Disney for Grad Nite, where they open the Magic Kingdom up after closing for high school seniors. We went May 1st and the weather was in the 30's.

Our next trip will be in December, not sure on the year, when this baby is old enough to appreciate it, but I think December should be exactly how we want it.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love all your reviews. I haven't been in 9 years. I'm hoping we can save enough to take the whole family when my dh comes back next winter. I am a huge Christmas fan so I'd love to see those decorations and what not. I love the advice of going during the week and such.
So do you guys plan everything on your own or go through a special website/place to plan this? I'd love to start getting an idea of how much to save for this. How far in advance do you book everything?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Brittney - I have always planned it myself but book through a travel agent locally. I make all my ADRs (advanced dining reservations) about 6 months in advance and book my hotel about 9 months in advance. We always stayed at Shades of Green, which is a military resort for military personnel only. (The rates are based on rank. Here is a link http://allears.net/acc/faq_sog.htm). Our last trip we stayed at Pop Century because we wanted to try something different. A great website that lists detailed descriptions and photos of each resort, prices, menus for every restaurant, character meal descriptions, and much more is www.allears.net. I love the planning stage of our Disney trips!

Oh, and as far as how much to save, it really depends on which resort you stay at and if you do a dining plan. For a 7-night stay for 2 of us at a value resort or at Shades of Green, park tickets with a park hopper pass, and money for food (we don't do the dining plan) and for souvenirs, etc. we usually save up $3000, which includes air fare from Maine to Florida.

Last edited by mariewilcox; 05-22-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Glad you had a good time despite some of the negatives. It seems like there are always some of those. We went in mid-October last year and it was soooo hot and super-crowded which I wasn't expecting at all. You just never know.

Every kid is really different in their tolerance for the rides. My (then) 10 year old's favorite ride was Splash Mountain while my 8 y.o. hated it.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm glad you had fun.

I don't do heat well, and I hate bugs, so when should I plan a trip to Disneyworld? I live in Southern California and I've been to Disneyland many many many times in my life...I even have a year pass right now, but I've never been to Florida. I'm so afraid of the heat and humidity.

and I agree...every child is different. My youngest (20) only started going on rides when he was about 14. It was tough living down here and his schools having parties and trips to Knotts Berry Farm, Disneyland, etc...and the most he'd do was It's a Small World or the Tiki Room. His oldest brother was very much the same way.

Last edited by 4noisyboys; 05-23-2012 at 10:49 AM.