Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2014, 11:08 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm
Default storage beds...

Off topic...

So, does anyone have a storage bed? The type that has drawers below the mattress? Do you like it? If you had the option, would you get it again?

We got a new bedwhen I was prego - and you know what they say about making big decisions when prego? yeah - we ended up hating both the mattress and the frame... got rid of the mattress 6 years ago and now it's way past the time to get rid of the bedframe... and Hubby would like to get the storage drawers since this house seriously lacks storage.

Thoughts?

thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'd totally get one. Obviously not to use for daily clothing, but great for storing stuff you don't have a ton of use for but need to keep handy. We've had our bed on the floor for a few weeks since we packed the frame up to move and it's been REALLY nice having it on the floor so I don't have to clean under it too, lol. That's definitely one of the perks of the storage drawers too
Old 07-17-2014, 12:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to SmallMoments

Luke has one. It's REALLY nice bc he has so much stuff and we have so few places to keep it.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:49 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My son has one as well. It was my daughters bed but she now has a really awesome bunk bed.

The bed has five drawers. One large drawer in the center and double drawers on either side of the larger drawer. He mostly uses the drawers for his toys. He'll throw his flip flops in one of the drawers just so they are out of the way. It definitely comes in handy if the room is a bit smaller (which his is).

Old 07-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

We have a king sized bed with double stacks of draws, so each side has 6 draws and the center has two long pull outs that run the entire length of the bed. I would always have some sort of storage no matter what because there is always a need for more storage, but like Sandy said, I don't use them for daily storage, only for seasonal. Then again, my husband keeps all his work clothes and t-shirts on his side so he does use it daily.

The center draws... I store all my hand bags and soft luggage like duffle bags, totes, overnight bags etc.

This is the bed we have: http://www.ultimatebed.com/pictures/ but my husband built full sized long draws, rather than purchase the split draws that are shown the photos. You can order any parts of that bed, we have the headboard and two stacks of draws, no side tables.

Also since it is double stacked it's kinda high. its find for my husband but I am 5'5" and I can't reach the floor so I have to slide down to get out of bed. Something to consider.

Last edited by sastampink; 07-18-2014 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:30 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

thanks ladies!

Tracey - whoa, that is a lot of storage! The ones I like have only a few drawers and they all look so shallow and small. And good point on the height - I'm 5.5ft too, I don't want too high of a bed, haha...

Those that have the drawers all the way to the floor... do you ever find yourself stubbing your toes? Grace is not my middle name and I'm already running into stuff, even if it has been in the same spot for 10 years. I was looking at the beds that are a bit off the floor, hence why the drawers look shallow.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:00 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

We've never stubbed our toes on the bed that we have. I think you'd be alright there. LOL!

Our bed has a pretty good amount of storage in the center drawer. The other drawers are pretty shallow.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

We have a new bed from Ikea that has the storage drawers. It is high, but now I'm used to it and I really like it. We keep extra bedding, handbags, winter sweaters and such in there. The first few days I stubbed my toe just out of habit, but now it's second nature. I really do like it!

Here's ours: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89910100/
Old 07-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I really like the idea of not having to clean under it. I'm always a little worried that some 8 legged critter is going to move in and set up shop under there....
Old 07-18-2014, 03:07 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meejay View Post
We have a new bed from Ikea that has the storage drawers. It is high, but now I'm used to it and I really like it. We keep extra bedding, handbags, winter sweaters and such in there. The first few days I stubbed my toe just out of habit, but now it's second nature. I really do like it!

Here's ours: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89910100/
Ooh... we NEED that bed! Love it! I'm always looking for more storage (and always looking to purge stuff too!) I also like that you wouldn't need a bed skirt with it and wouldn't have animals under it. My little dog will get under my bed with the cats and then fight. LOL
Old 07-18-2014, 10:56 AM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

Connor does - I don't. He shoves random things in the drawers so I don't know how practical it really was for a 10 year old I DO like however that since he has all this extra storage space there's less 'stuff' all over his room. I've never stubbed my toes on his bed :] he's a super clutz though and has some how managed to hit every body part on those drawers. Lol
Old 08-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I really want a bed with drawers beneath but I'm having trouble convincing my husband that it's a good idea.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Babe Lead

profile gallery send pm

Well, we don't have one yet, but we do plan to have a bed with storage underneath! I am sure it'll be great for storing bed sheets and coats and winter clothes during summer!
Old 08-03-2014, 04:50 PM
Such a Sweetie

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherri Tierney View Post
Ooh... we NEED that bed! Love it! I'm always looking for more storage (and always looking to purge stuff too!) I also like that you wouldn't need a bed skirt with it and wouldn't have animals under it. My little dog will get under my bed with the cats and then fight. LOL
Funny thing, we had no idea our dog hid out under the bed during storms. Now we know, because with the new bed he freaks out and paws at the drawers trying to get under there. Our solution is sitting in the closet with him while they pass, until we can convince him going under a different bed is just as effective! LOL
Old 08-03-2014, 04:58 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We do. My youngest has an Ikea bed with a pull out drawer. My DH built us a bed with room underneath for storage, a ton of storage. It's great, the only drawback is that it's high. ( I like it like that but it's not practical for everyone. )
Old 08-03-2014, 09:01 PM
Sugar Cookie

profile gallery send pm

Funny you say that, we have a regular frame and I stub my toe on the corner all of the time. I'm pretty clumsy though.

I just use under bed storage boxes under my king size bed. They have to be shallow though because the bed sits low. My husband just picked up two of the under storage beds for my kids. He didn't take into account one will have to be over a heating vent and also that the one side of the bed is against the wall. Apparently they don't return opened boxes and he opened one already. I warned him not to get them yet but he never listens to me on stuff like that. Now we have two beds we can't practically use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
thanks ladies!

Tracey - whoa, that is a lot of storage! The ones I like have only a few drawers and they all look so shallow and small. And good point on the height - I'm 5.5ft too, I don't want too high of a bed, haha...

Those that have the drawers all the way to the floor... do you ever find yourself stubbing your toes? Grace is not my middle name and I'm already running into stuff, even if it has been in the same spot for 10 years. I was looking at the beds that are a bit off the floor, hence why the drawers look shallow.