Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm
Default Misophonia?

Does anyone here suffer? I always used to put it down to me being mood swingy, but lately it's getting out of hand. I just want to rip someones head off for breathing/talking/TAPPING ON THE KEYBOARD. Is there anything I can do to make it, a little easier to live with?
Old 07-30-2014, 08:12 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't have any experience with this but I think there are a few here that do...I'm sure they'll chime in. Sorry you are having a tough time with it right now.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Thanks. Yeah I don't know whats made it rear its head this bad lately. I guess it doesn't help with it being the summer holidays and everyone being off school. Hopefully someone has some tips to help keep my sanity! Or at least a part of it.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

yes. a million times yes

Since I was 11.. I am glad that misophonia is something that is being talked/read/researched about because it has only been in the last few years where they have been saying what it is. Whenever I go to drs they are usually pretty clueless about it. Here is hoping drs start researching it more and trying to find a solution or more help for it.

At home i'm wearing earplugs 24/7. I don't in public or if i'm out with other people because it is embarrassing so when i'm out with people I try as hard as I can to stay calm and ignore things. I don't know about you but I have a really hard time telling people (other than my family) to stop things that are bothering me so I usually just try to grin and bear it or escape from the situation/ go to another room.

I am on an ssri/anit depressant which does help as well. Too much caffeine is a trigger as well, I have tried to give up coffee but then I"m irritable from being tired so there has to be a balance there.

In terms of things like keyboard taping - I wouldn't be able to stay in the same room where a computer is so that is something we just work around. Is your family understanding about your sensitivities?
Old 07-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Well, it was actually someone I know who's a trainee nurse who told me about it a few months ago after seeing me on a bad day and I'd never even heard of it before then. I don't know anyone else with it so didn't know any different.

Earplugs, why didn't I think of that! Although I'd have to be careful with 3 mini me's off school running around, making horrific noise all day long. Yes, I think I do find it difficult to approach people I may not know so well to tell them "um, can you please not breathe so loud?" or "please stop tapping your foot like that before I break it" LOL I do try and run off if possible.

Ah, really? I do drink a lot more tea than coffee but I'm trying to cut down on that anyway but I do wonder if maybe certain contraceptive meds can trigger it or worsen it too as I've recently changed mine and it seems to have gotten worse since around that time.

I literally spent ages today with my head in my hands trying not to cry, I just couldn't handle it. I don't see very much of my family but it's mainly just me and my kiddos and they are my main triggers lately lol, I just can't seem to hack either extremes of their noise... normal talking is fine, whispering or shouting/screeching or like I said, tapping on their tablets or keyboards, even playing with their dolls house they kinda like tap on it when they're making the dolls "walk" ugh.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I actually have come to believe that I have a very mild form of this. I know mine isn't as advanced as Kristin's, and there are only a few sounds that really trigger it for me (ie... I lose my mind when hubby clips his nails, and there are times when music is just too much to handle). On the triggers that I do have, I definitely feel the "fight or flight" reaction.

I"m not sure that there's much that can be done since my triggers seem to be limited, so for now, I try to avoid situations that set me off.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:41 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Hugs to you girls who struggle with this. I have some of these same issues . . . just in a milder form. My husband's toe tapping and leg wiggling drives me bonkers, and I can't stand to listen to him eat. Ugh. When my kids come over and mess with things on my desk, I just want to scream. Watching people "fiddle" with stuff drives me NUTS.

Sometimes I think I'm just too high strung and I need to relax. Other times, I think everyone else needs to QUIT BUGGING ME! Lol.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm not as bad as Kristin and I don't really have any great suggestions other than to remove myself when possible. I also know that certain situations make it harder for me to deal with, if I'm sleep deprived or am unable to decompress, it's going to be terrible. I know these things aren't logical but sometimes it takes every bit of willpower not to go off.

Lydia my DH does the leg/foot thing and it makes me insane. I see it out of my peripheral vision or it shakes the sofa and I get stabbity. My own fidgeting doesn't bother me at all LOL
Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keely~B View Post
Lydia my DH does the leg/foot thing and it makes me insane. I see it out of my peripheral vision or it shakes the sofa and I get stabbity. My own fidgeting doesn't bother me at all LOL

Shakes the sofa . . . YES!!

And, yeah, my own fidgeting is just fine . . . of course.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

The shaky leg thing, oh gosh don't get me started!! Also, people who play around and fiddle with pens they're using. That one is up there with the keyboard tapping and it really angers me.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

If you currently aren't relying on earplugs (i can't sleep without them - at all) then I recommend trying NOT to get attached because it will only make you that much more sensitive.

Yep same here - if i can see it in my peripheral vision it drives me crazy!

They also say you are usually triggered stronger if it is from someone you love - so yes my husband/family etc bugs me more than strangers or people I don't see as often.

We had a SSD staff retreat last fall and I did a pretty good job of not letting anyone realize things were bothering me because I was 1) shy and 2) I don't want people to feel like they need to walk on egg shells around me.. but yea it was tough and I did go off on my own a bit. The problem can be with covering it up people don't realize that you are wanting to crawl out of your skin..

And also like lydia said. MY own movements, eating noises, etc etc don't bother me.. it's from others.

I will also say alcohol helps.. but I don't want to advocate anyone to become an alcoholic.. lol
Old 07-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Sweetness

profile gallery send pm

Makes sense. Thanks for all the advice Kristin!
Old 07-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I never knew there was a name for this! I can't stand it when someone is near me chewing gum and they pop gum bubbles!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:43 PM
you're like stars

profile gallery send pm

I think it's totally 'normal' to have pet peeves and be irritated by noises etc-- ie i can't stand the sound of people eating.. However, when it gets to a level where it's totally consuming and interfering with your life is when it's Misophonia.. I just wanted to point out that distinction. I don't want everyone to think there's something wrong with them! haha.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:24 PM
Sweetie Pie

profile gallery send pm

I don't think it qualifies as misophonia, but the incessant sound of Moooooooom! drives me bonkers.