Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2015, 05:42 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife
Default Scrapping style

We touched on this on my personal FB the other day, and it's been on my mind ever since. I kind of took awhile away from scrapping, but I'm back now, which is exciting. I have noticed a dramatic change in style from the way it was when I left, to how it is now.

I am one of those people who scraps for the creative outlet, but it seems to me now that 90% of pages are project life, or pocket scrapping, which I am NOT knocking. It is just too "big" for me, and I am struggling with how my pages look in galleries now.

Is there still a place for us creative scrappers who AREN'T working on projects or working on anything specifically?

I wanted to apply for a couple of CT calls, but I just don't see where I could fit in any more. My style seems pretty passé now.

Just rambling, but would love to hear people's thoughts on this topic! Have you changed your style? Changed the way you memory keep?
Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 PM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

Once I found my style (which took a couple years), I haven't moved too far from it. Every now and then, I'll do an art journal style page, or something more graphic looking . . . but that's not very often, and it takes me longer to do those pages (not that my regular pages come together all that quickly . . . I'm sloooooow). I say, if you are getting what you need out of the creative process and you're documenting memories, there's no need to change. And, I appreciate seeing all different styles in galleries. But, I can definitely understand where you're coming from.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

My style really hasn't changed either... my focus is the photos and the story, so my layouts have larger photos than some others and more photos and journaling is a must except for a few pages now and then but that doesn't mean I don't like to get creative and use all kinds of elements on my pages either, they just aren't the focus.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:51 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jamie - I think I'm your biggest fan! You're style is what got me scrapping at SSD.

I love scrapping one photo on a page and struggle when I have to scrap more than that! I'm trying make my photos large (and take up 3/4 the page) just because my girls loooove to see them when they browse through their scrapbooks.

Last edited by Kjersti; 03-24-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:02 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My style hasn't changed in years. I'm pretty boring.

But I have started adding some monthly project life type layouts to catch the random photos that don't really need full spreads. But you know me, I scrap and print my stuff for the memory keeping and I hate being so far behind.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I actually think that regular digital pages/layouts take up a large % of those in galleries. I know for my creative team that it's maybe 1 pocket page for every 10 layouts.. if that. Just do what you love
Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I agree with kcb! I barely get any pocket pages from my team with my products. I LOVE the creative, artsy, just for the heck of it pages. Don't stop! And definitely apply for the teams that interest you.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:55 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I know what you mean. I took a long break too and when I first came back I went into the shop and saw the 'pocket scrapbooking category. I was like, "What is THAT?" LOL! I actually did a PL back in 2012 but it doesn't look like this pocket trend.

I figure all trends come and go. Just go with what ya like. Or you could try a couple pocket pages just to do something new and see if it sparks any creativity?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Jaime, I totally think there is room for all kinds of scrappers. There is definitely no right or wrong. I know my style isn't for everyone. I will say that I think having different types of styles on a team really showcases the versatility of a kit IMO, so I don't think a particular style would necessarily deter a designer from adding someone to their team. I'm not a PL or pocket scrapper and don't see myself ever gravitating that way, but I still admire those type of pages.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I really don't worry about what's trending, they come and go. As long as you're enjoying the process and the end result, that's what matters.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:25 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't normally do either of those projects, it's just not my style! I do photo focus mostly. We're all welcome here

Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I scrap what I want and how I want. lol If someone else doesn't like it, that's their problem.

I love your style and always have. Do what you love, girlie.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

You know how I feel about this but I'll touch on your specific questions again a wee bit.

Is there still a place for us creative scrappers who AREN'T working on projects or working on anything specifically?
I so hope so as this is me! I think I am actually going to use Cindy's monthly double page templates and make a yearly book as gifts and because the kids will like it, but I haven't started that. I don't even scrap chronologically. I scrap as the mood hits me and use whatever photos inspire me or match a kit I want to use. I do the challenges here and that's really my main scrapping motivation. I think they are fun and do help me be creative and keep up making pages because I found I need the process of creating more than the keepsakes a lot of the time....if that makes sense?!
I wanted to apply for a couple of CT calls, but I just don't see where I could fit in any more. My style seems pretty passé now.
I know what you mean here, but I think you should apply for any and every call your little heart desires! I feel like there has been a major shift in scrapbooking in the last couple of years. I know KCB says that she maybe has one pocket scrapper or whatever on her team, but I feel like products are geared towards pocket scrappers a lot. Which makes total business sense, but can be a bit daunting if you are just coming back IMO. The community feels different. The galleries feel different. I feel like it's more of a change in connection that makes it all feel so different for me more than a change of styles, but I do think it's a mix of both. I have tried some new things and loved them and tried (and bought eep) so many project life goodies and failed. I just don't love it! I think it's fun to try new things , but I think you should do whatever feels natural and fun FOR YOU! Your pages are yours and yours alone. If your favorite designer doesn't work for you anymore, try someone else! (Speaking generally...You didn't say anything like that..lol but I have had this happen :/ ) Apply for calls! You might be just what someone is looking for!
Just rambling, but would love to hear people's thoughts on this topic! Have you changed your style? Changed the way you memory keep?
I don't know....I think I have changed some, but not tons? Looking at my gallery I feel like I have always kind of been the same. Looking at my house you will see all the things I bought that I didn't really need and couldn't really afford and now don't use them because I don't like pocket scrapping. :/ So yes I have tried some things and tried mixing things up but it doesn't work for me. I feel totally at peace with myself as a scrapper but it took 7 years to get here! YIKES! I'm motivated and inspired. I think it takes a while to find your comfortable space in this hobby. At least it did for me. I have even been on an art journal team and loved all my pages for those two months and it was so different for me! It's all about trying new things in a way that feels "YOU" I think.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:40 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

My style has... expanded, I guess? I still make my regular pages, but I also do PL. It's more of a 'I have been doing this for 10+ years and need a challenge' kind of thing vs. a 'I want to scrap differently' thing. While I do see a lot of PL pages, I don't see more of them than traditional pages here in the SSD gallery.

You, specifically, J. have such a very distinct style (I know what pages are yours just from a quick glance through the gallery thumbnails) that I don't think you should feel like you need to change unless you WANT to.

We love you just the way you are. You belong here because you are ours, no matter your style or how long you take a break, and that's that.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I do both styles. I do pocket pages just to manage the sheer volume of photos I take and want to include in my pages/photobooks. I do these on a monthly basis.

But, the creative pages (often just one photo per page) were how I started out and I still love doing them. I include just as many of them in my photobooks as I do pocket pages. All my CT pages are 'creative' ones. If I didn't do this style page I'd have way less reason to shop here!
Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I always loved your layouts in the gallery and am quite glad you will have more layouts to upload!! As far as the styles out there, I've never got in to the PL and Pocket style. I'm still a clustering scrapper--so there are some of us out there! As far as the CT calls, I think there is always rooms for all styles of scrappers on every CT. I mean, wouldn't the designers want to be able to show their customers that their product can be scrapped on all levels of scrapping styles? It never hurts to apply! What's the worst that can happen, they say no and you know! But what if they say yes? Apply!! You have amazing layouts!!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

As someone who peruses through the gallery here on a regular basis I definitely see a wide variety of pages, some pocket style but less than you would think. There are some with just one photo and some where the pages are filled with photos, some clustery, some artsy and some very clean and classic.

That variety is what makes this place awesome!! All of the products needed to make each of these styles are right here and they keep on coming every week.

My own style has evolved greatly over the past five years but is fairly consistent with the past two - heavily embellished pocket style, some papery/clustery and some artsy thrown in to satisfy that need. I hope there is room for all of our styles here because I think each of us grows and changes in our art.

As for CTs, I say apply. I would think that most designers want a variety of styles, hitting them all gives them the very best opportunity to connect on a personal level with as many shoppers as they can. We all love to see a layout in a gallery that looks like what we might create with that kit, that's what makes us head to the store and buy it.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm one who has switched mainly to PL type pages, but mostly for practical purposes -- because it's so much easier to keep up with and I feel like I capture more details of our everyday life. BUT that doesn't mean that I don't still love more traditional scrapbook style pages. I love seeing them in the galleries and often buy kits because of those beautiful pages.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:20 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to newfiemountiewife Send a message via Yahoo to newfiemountiewife

Thanks guys for all of the feedback on this! I wasn't looking for an ego rub, but thanks for it lol!

I am finding such a shift, and it may be more obvious to those of us who had to step back for a bit, than those who didn't. But it's not a bad thing. I can see so many benefits to PL, but it's just so not me.

Jay
Old 03-25-2015, 07:25 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I am an anything goes type scrapper.... how my pages are laid out is really determine by the photos I have to work with. For the most part I scrap the "old skool" way (if you wanna call it that), but I do enjoy pocket scrapping now and then, like times when I have a LOT of photos that I want to get on a page, or when I just run out of steam and need something more structured to help me spark my creativity back up. I have plans to do a weekly PL book, but only for a certain theme, not for my every day photos.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:44 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post
Thanks guys for all of the feedback on this! I wasn't looking for an ego rub, but thanks for it lol!

I am finding such a shift, and it may be more obvious to those of us who had to step back for a bit, than those who didn't. But it's not a bad thing. I can see so many benefits to PL, but it's just so not me.

Jay
I said the same thing about PL, for a good 2 years. The designers are really creating collections that made me want to try PL. And for someone who does print layouts as much as I do, I really see it cutting down on the number of pages I have to do in a year.

I've done 2 page layouts for Jan-Mar of this year. I'm thinking I might need 4 pages to recap the busier months. I'd never switch completely, I still love the creative pages for events, or photos I know I can make a 2 page spread of our easily.

Don't ever try to scrap what you think is popular! Your creative outlet will suffer.

And like Stacia said, I look at the galleries all the time, at least once a day and there is a great mix of everything.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfiemountiewife View Post

So I will just address this question, as it seems you've already gotten some great responses to your others.

I took over two years off from scrapping, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because my life literally felt like it was falling apart all around me as my marriage was ending, and I wasn't motivated to keep going.

So far, since returning to scrapping at the beginning of the year, I've only done weekly pocket pages. It's not that I don't want to go back to my "regular" style of scrapping, but it's just easier for me to scrap the here and now and not have to worry about all those years worth of memories and photos when my family unit was still whole that I now have no idea what to do with, if that makes any sense.

I second the others in that you should do what makes YOU happy and fulfilled. Trends come and go, but if you stay true to yourself and your style, that's what really matters at the end of the day. Btw, I love your style and think you rock!
Old 03-25-2015, 03:12 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I don't do PL. I just scrap my everyday moments like a traditional scrapper. I do use PL templates sometimes, but not for typical PL pages. As for style changing, I think everyone's style changes a little as they learn new skills, or try new fads. It's how we grow. I scrap for me in the first instance. I generally keep with my own style of scrapping, even if I'm using a product that is way out of my 'normal' choice. Does that make sense?

Last edited by jacinda; 03-25-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I agree that pocket scrapping has gained a ton of momentum over the past 2-3 years, but I don't see it overtaking traditional scrapping at the few digital sites I visit and shop at. I wouldn't be surprised to find that there are more new pocket scrappers than new traditional scrappers, but I still see a lot more traditional pages.

I do both, and that has led to a style change for me. Before I started PL I always had more photos I wanted to scrap than time to scrap them, so I put as many photos as I could on every layout. I still have more photos and memories than I can scrap, but at least with PL I'm getting a lot closer to getting everything I want into our books. And because so many of my photos are on PL pages, I'm freed up now to do my traditional layouts with 1-3 photos instead of having 5+ on every page. My traditional pages are still the same style they used to be, but I'm able to use more white space. My PL pages are more embellished than most people's, but that's the style that works for me. I love looking at more minimal pages, but they just don't look right when I try to make mine like that. I also don't post many of my PL pages here. I'm on a non-SSD pocket team, so most of my pocket pages are either scrapped for that team or aren't posted because I'm trying to catch up (always ) and don't want to take the time to track credits and post.

Last edited by rach3975; 03-25-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:45 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to nun69

my style hasn't really changed (hopefully it got b etter), but I LOVE your style and I am so g lad you are back!!!!!!!! I did 2 years of PL before it became really big and then I just couldn't keep up, so sometimes I scrap a pocket life style page, but most of the time, I let the p ictures or the kit be my inspiration