Sweet Shoppe Designs

Go Back   Sweet Shoppe Community > Candy Coated Conversation > A Sweet Little Community
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much of your Christmas gift shopping is done?
I haven't even started! 9 12.50%
I'm between 1-25% done 9 12.50%
I'm between 26-50% done 10 13.89%
I'm between 51-75% done 10 13.89%
I'm between 76-99% done 27 37.50%
I'm DONE!!!!!! 7 9.72%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-02-2011, 01:28 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm
Default Dec 2- QotD- Almost done shopping for Christmas gifts?

I use to wait until mid-December to even start shopping, but a few years back my procrastination bit me and an unexpected ice storm hit here and I nearly didn't have any presents for the kids since mail/UPS didn't run for 2 weeks. So now I try to start early (and early for me is mid-November) and get done by Dec 15th. Right now I'm hanging at about 2/3rds done. Just waiting for things to go on sale so I can justify buying them!

So, where are you all on your shopping? Is there anyone already done? (if so, I'm jealous!) And when do you start shopping for presents?
Old 12-02-2011, 01:35 AM
SugarBabe & Challenge Fairy

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to Lyd

All the big stuff is done. I'm working on a few sewing projects and we have to buy a gift for DH's parents. But, I think that's it. I LOVE doing my shopping online!! I guess I still need to figure out what DH wants. He's hard to buy for, so that almost always goes to the last minute.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:37 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm almost finished...I plan to go shopping after work tomorrow to try to finish up everyone (except my son) by the end of the weekend...
Old 12-02-2011, 01:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm done with my son (and gifts from Santa) and have been for awhile. I'm also done with my brother (I finished his shopping up in August) and I finished my dad's the other day.

I have all but one thing to make my mom's and my grandmother's, and I'll be getting it on Saturday so I can finish making it. As soon as theirs is made, I'M DONE!

I am SO close.

Zach got a ride-on dinosaur/dragon thing that turns into a walker, too. From Santa, he is getting a hammer that lights up and makes noise, a toy phone, and some musical instruments from Melissa and Doug (thank you, sale price- those were only $6!) I bought everything for him for under $80 (my goal was to stay under $100).

For my brother, he's getting 2 board games. My dad is getting a $20 Pei Wei gift card (we went on a daddy/daughter date a month and a half ago, when my mom and brother were out of town visiting my grandfather, and I took him to Pei Wei. He has been OBSESSED ever since, so it's a good chance for he and I to go on another daddy/daughter date).

Mom and grandma are each getting a nice glass baking dish with their name etched onto the side of it.

In our family, the tradition is that each person gets one BIG gift from mom and dad (past gifts I've gotten are a white gold and diamond ring, a pink sapphire necklace, a digital camera, and a nintendo DS). That's why Zach is only getting the one big gift (the dragon/dinosaur/thing), plus Santa. We all get plenty of gifts between a stocking full from Santa, the big gift, and then gifts from extended relatives, so shopping is easy- we never feel the need to do more. We all have been blessed with so much already, that really any more than that seems a bit superfluous- we just don't have the space for more as it is!

New Siggy Coming Soon

Last edited by Jengerbread88; 12-02-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I picked haven't even started yet, which is mostly true (I've gotten the girls 2 barbies & a bottle of nail polish-each)

We don't buy for anyone except kids, everything else is homemade, but I haven't gotten to start those either, too busy with photo work.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:44 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm all done, wrapped and ready to send. I do most of my christmas shopping for the adults in the January sales. Bought all the rest of the kids presents when we were in California last week
Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm getting the kids 2 main joint presents and I have 1 of them so far. I'm getting the other one in 2 weeks time.

I need a few of the smaller presents as well, then I can start wrapping them.

I usually spend loads on them but I'm cutting back loads this year, it helps when they haven't really asked for much anyway
Old 12-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I picked 26-50% - I have my sister and her husband done because I have to mail to San Diego. I do have 4 things for Cheyanne in the trunk of my car - after the tree goes up this weekend they'll get wrapped and put under the tree.

Our "family" Christmas (with my parents, my sister and her 2 kids, my grandpa, and my 1 uncle and 1 cousin) is on the 17th so I have some of that done except for things I need to sew, 3 things I'm ordering from Amazon today, and a few stocking stuffers.

Then I just have to finish up Cheyanne's gifts and both our stockings (I have to stuff my own because in our family Santa does stocking for adults but not gifts - my parents still stuff stocking for my sisters and I).
Old 12-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I did a lot of online shopping for the first time this year - so most of the gifts I needed most will be here by Monday. I still have my youngest to shop for and then my nieces, nephews and in-laws. Which is pretty darn good.

Now I have to start wrapping.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Tracyfish Send a message via Yahoo to Tracyfish

I have quite a bit of little stuff for L.J. and my nephews are done, but I haven't even started on anyone else.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I was done as of 5pm last night!

Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Still need some stocking stuffers, finish a few yarn wreaths, and to pick up a GC for a family gift.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

How sad is it I have no motivation or desire.
In the midst of selling a car, selling a house, getting passports/visas, moving out of our house and just going about our daily lives of school and such, I'm done and that is sad because I love Xmas.

Grandparents will give boys gifts when we go home to Oregon and there are boxes of Legos in our shipment going to Kuwait somewhere right now. My sister is making the calendars this year (even though I started but can't get done/printed right now), and I'm going to let my parents/in-laws pick out a couple of photos from our professional photoshoot this Fall for me to print and send to them. So they will get something, just not maybe something to unwrap. Sigh.

Am I justified, or am I just being bad and I should just suck it up and shop online. Thank goodness the days of exchanging gifts with the cousins, aunts, uncles etc is done!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to Stacey42 Send a message via Yahoo to Stacey42

I have to find a book for my youngest still. I also have to buy him a specific DS game which I will do today. At some point DH will get around to telling me what he wants but probably not until it is too late to get it for an Xmas present & will have to be a birthday present (Dec 31). And stocking stuffers. Buying my younger son's today but still don't know what to get for the older one. Usually I get action figures, younger one wants Green Lantern but older one has not expressed any interest in anything
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via MSN to mummytothree

I have one gift left to buy for DD #1, DD #2 and DS #2.....nothing big just their "somthing to read gifts". I just need to decide what Kindle book I am getting for my DD #1...which Diary of a Wimpy Kid book I'm getting DD #2 and I have no idea what kind of book for get for DS #2....

I'd also like to get just a few more small things for their stockings.....I have a ton already but I'd like to find a few more little unique things!!

Elizabeth

Blogging for Kristin Cronin-Barrow
Old 12-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I haven't even started, sigh!!!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I voted 76-99%, although I pretty much consider myself done. I need to get a certain six pack of beer to round out DH's gifts (he's a brewer), and there is a toy going on sale Sunday that I want to pick up for my DD. But, it will be a gift from her brothers so I don't add that to my count I generally start in September and try to be done by Thanksgiving. I don't like to shop after Thanksgiving because stores start getting crazy and I really want to enjoy the season!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm almost done, I'm done buying for 3 of the kidlets. I haven't bought anything for my oldest yet. He's got special needs and very specific interests and I just haven't found 1 single thing I think he would like yet :/. It's my mission today to get him taken care of .

I've bought one small thing for Tim, so I'll need to get him another thing or two and then there is the rest of the family. They will very likely get scrappy gifts.

::Tabatha::
proud mom to Gabriel {11}, Tristan {10} Julian {6}, Sophie {3}, Lucius {1} & Ezekiel {5.28.14}
Forever Missing Katriel Star (17 weeks) and Sebastian Judah (14 weeks)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am done! Last year I waited too long to do my shopping and it got pretty stressful running from store to store in the crowds. So, this year I started shopping on Nov. 1st! No crowds, and I could almost swear the prices were just as low as they are now with some of these supposed "sales".

My kids were easy to shop for this year, which helped. Grace needed a bike and is obsessed with Disney princesses. CHECK! Ben is interested in Legos, Star Wars action figures, Playmobil. CHECK!

OK, actually, I'm 98% done. I have to grab something for my Grandma who is impossible to shop for! We also haven't gotten anything for the in-laws, but I am leaving that up to my hubby this year. I never know what to get them (and what I do get them never seems to please them).
Old 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I started yesterday and got nearly all of mine done..online lol...I still need to pick up a few small things and some stocking stuffers but as far as the kids I'm nearly done..and I even got Ella's birthday gift yesterday too. I have to get my niece and nephews and a few small family gifts but other than that I'm done.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm about 1/3 done, I need to just bite the bullet and online shop since it will be several weeks before I can get to stores.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I picked 76-99%, although that's not technically right. I have to finish up and order a photobook today and get my calendars done & ordered. Otherwise, I just have stocking stuffers to get. Then I need to finish an afghan I'm making for my Dad. It's the crafty stuff that always gets me
Old 12-02-2011, 10:05 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I have 3 crochet projects left to do and I need to pick something up for my 3 month old nephew. And I have to order calendars
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

I'm "almost" done, lol. DD is getting an iPhone, so that is last minute. I need a few stocking stuffers for her, and a few things for my mom and I'm done. Earliest I've been this close to done in years, lol.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I picked 76-99% but I'm more like 99% done. I just want to get one more stocking stuffer gift for DH and then candy for stockings. I love being done early! I started shopping at the beginning of November.

-It's pronounced Meeeegan... get it RIGHT!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I picked 76%-99% done and I'm closer to the 99%. My kids are done, the grandparents are done. I just need to get gift cards for my brother and his wife, and possibly my DSD. My DH is taking care of his granddaughter's present (hopefully!) and then stocking stuffers and that is it.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I'm done! We are fairly minimalist with Christmas presents - just a couple per kid, knowing that they will get more stuff from their grandparents and aunts and uncles. And in both of our extended families, we only buy gifts for kids, so I just had 4 nieces/nephews to shop for ... I still have one niece's birthday gift to buy (it's right before Christmas) but other than that, DONE!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm

I am almost done. I start very early though, like July/August early cause then I spread out the spending and its all done and paid off right away and I don't have to worry about it eating my entire budget for a month or two. I just need a few last things when my next payday comes.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

DH was supposed to get his bonus Dec 22nd, so we were going to use that for Christmas presents for the kids. Now it won't happen until Dec 29th, so no idea what we'll do.

At least SS is with his mom this year for Christmas Eve and Day and DD is still too little to understand what is going on, so neither will notice if there are no presents under the tree on the 25th.

During a normal year, I don't usually shop until November or so. I prefer to buy online, so I try to do that in one or two big sprees.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Sweetsaholic

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to kscwgirl

I'm so close to done. I have to get one more thing for my dad, make my mom's last gift, pick up some gift cards and stocking stuffers and i'll be finished.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm almost done. I buy gifts for the kids and sometimes DH, and I do calendars for everyone else. Except for running to Barnes and Noble for a gift card for each child, the kids are done. DH isn't getting a holiday present because he wanted something big for his birthday in Jan. DD turns 3 the day after Christmas, so her birthday is done, too.

I sometimes pick up a few things as I see them on sale throughout the fall, but I do most of my shopping on Black Friday. Each year I hit one store early in the morning (usually Toys R Us or Target depending what each has on sale). Then I order the rest online later that day. Most years I'm way early with my calendars, but this year I need to include my nephew who was born in Sept, so I waited as long as possible so I'd have a few months worth of photos to use. I'm hoping to order them in a week or so, but it depends when my sister gets me her photos.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to emmasmommy

all i have to do is buy a darn easy bake oven, stocking stuffers and get the gc's for the older kids and i'm DONE.

Old 12-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

We only buy for our three kids so I'm already done and have been for quite awhile! I do still need to get the last of their stocking stuffers, but it's simple stuff like new toothbrushes and toothpaste so that doesn't really count since I can pick those items up when I grocery shop. Now I haven't wrapped any of it yet though, everything is hidden at my Mom's so I get to go over there and have a big wrapping session soon!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Haven't even started *hangs head*
Old 12-02-2011, 08:22 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

It would be bad if I admitted that I've only bought two gifts so far right? lol
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

There is always more stuff I could buy for my girls or husband, but all I really need to get to be ready for Christmas is a GC for my oldest nephew. After that, Christmas can come and I'd be all set!